NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Live Auctions - Only 2-3 open, per member, at once.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:27 PM
Dave Johnson

Default Eddie Waitkus 8x10 Photo Chicago Cubs - "The Natural" ends 8/30 9:01 PM CST

With the large collection I purchased there are a handful of photo items.

I will freely admit I know NOTHING about photos...So I am providing the information I can, feel free to ask any questions.

This photo had a hand written note with it in the holder that simply stated "Eddie Waikus"

The person I bought this collection from is a huge Cubs collector. I had NEVER heard of Eddie Waitkus....so I did what anyone would do...look on the internet....

From the WBEZ91.5 Website..

After returning from World War II in 1946, Waitkus became the Cubs’ regular first baseman. He was a fine defensive player and a solid line-drive hitter. In 1948 he played in the All-Star game.

Waitkus was traded to the Philadelphia Phillies after the 1948 season. In June 1949 he returned to Chicago with his new team. While in town, the Phillies stayed at the Edgewater Beach Hotel on Sheridan Road.

About 11 p.m. on June 14, a hotel bellboy gave Waitkus a note from a Ruth Anne Burns, asking to see him about something “extremely important.” Waitkus phoned her room. After talking briefly with the woman on the phone, he went up to meet her.

At Room 1227A, a tall young woman invited him in. With little preliminary, she produced a rifle and pointed it at Waitkus. “For two years you’ve bothered me,” she said. “Now you’re going to die.”

The woman shot Waitkus in the chest. He collapsed in a pool of blood, muttering over and over, “Baby, why did you do that?”

A doctor and a house detective came rushing down the hall. The woman told them, “I’ve shot Eddie Waitkus.” An ambulance was called, and Waitkus was taken to the hospital. The woman was placed under arrest.

(Chicago Daily News)Ruth Anne SteinhagenHer real name was Ruth Anne Steinhagen. She was 19 years old and worked as a typist. She had become obsessed with Waitkus when he’d played for the Cubs, though she had never met him.
“I had to kill him,” she told the police. “I thought it would get rid of the tension.”

Waitkus nearly died on the operating table. The bullet was finally removed. By August he was back in uniform and finished the season.

Ruth Anne Steinhagen was found to be legally insane. She was committed to a mental institution. After receiving shock treatments, she was declared sane and released in 1952.

The shooting changed Waitkus. He became moody and suspicious, and was treated for alcoholism. Today we’d say he suffered from post-traumatic stress syndrome. Eddie Waitkus died in 1972, at the age of 53.

In 1952, Bernard Malamud wrote a novel called The Natural, based on the Waitkus shooting. The book was made into a highly-acclaimed Robert Redford film in 1984.

The photo is glossy, I have provided front and back photos. It appears to be correct for the 1941 Uniform, but someone who knows more than me about this can verify.

No clue on value of something like this, so we will start it at $4

Bidding ends at 9:01 PM on August 30th. Bids date stamped 9:00 are ok...9:01...not.

Please add $6 for shipping on this item

Thanks and let me know if ANY questions. I will do my best to answer.

Last edited by Golfcollector; 08-25-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:51 PM
Dave Johnson

Bumping lots of view, little bidding
Old 08-29-2015, 04:43 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

I'll go 4 just for kicks
Old 08-30-2015, 11:08 AM

I'll go $6 just in appreciation for the write up!
Old 08-30-2015, 12:44 PM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

I'll try 10