NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-17-2021, 09:47 AM
Emlily Ell.is

Default Question of authenticity on this Mantle

Was going to post this on a couple of different boards, but I figured I'd get the answers I'm needing here and quickly. Looking for answers as to authenticity on this 1966T Mantle. I've scanned both the front and back. It looks really nice obviously, almost too nice to be honest.

But I checked and it doesn't say reprint anywhere. I measured it against some of my other 66T that I know are authentic, and it was the same size. It also feels nearly the same as the rest of my 66T I have. One of the things that does concern me is the brown tinting on the back right side of the card as seen in the second scan.

Anyway, here's the card I'm asking about...

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:03 AM
St@n Go.len

Idk....the 1st scan has a green tint...not sure if that's your pic or what....how does the card stock feel? It looks like a too well centered counterfeit but you should be able to tell from the card stock.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2021, 10:34 AM
Emlily Ell.is

As I said it feels pretty close to the other 66s I have. And when I did the scan and did the auto brightness it gave it a green tint. I will see if I can redo the scan and not do autofix the colors.

And the centering is of concern. It's almost too good

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.

Last edited by wdwfan; 04-17-2021 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:49 AM
Andrew

Do you have a 10x magnifying loupe? If not, get one - you should be able to tell from the printing dot pattern. From the scan above it looks suspect to me - the name looks like it might have a printing pattern when it should be a solid color.

Last edited by ASF123; 04-17-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:51 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

https://www.net54baseball.com/forum/...ivecenter.html
Click link, scroll to bottom of page. Click one of those.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:40 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

For some reason it just doesn't look vintage to me. It looks like a modern card. Too perfect maybe??

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 04-17-2021, 11:43 AM

I looked at the back of mine. The area outside of the boxes is a lighter shade of peach, looks to be a different color than yours

Old 04-17-2021, 11:44 AM

I counted six different eBay listings of 1966 Topps Mickey Mantle counterfeit cards, this one is almost certainly one of them.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:11 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I will bet you lunch that it is counterfeit. Too perfect and the photo just looks 'off'.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 04-17-2021, 02:41 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Okay everyone, I looked it at through my 10x loop and I saw no print dots. Looked just like it was painted on or something. There were no printer marks/dots whatever they're called. I checked the PSA 4 copy that I have currently FS/FT, and it does show the printing dots.

That said, I told the guy that's trying to sell it to me that it's fake. My heart tells me it's just too good to be true. He's asking $150 for it, so that wasn't a red flag or anything. He said he'll show me and that he'll send it off this week to PSA and it'll come back a 8-9 or better and then be worth a couple of thousand. But it's my loss, he said.

I wanted to thank everyone on the board for their help. Was really hoping it'd be real because I'd have one for my set (I don't want the graded one in my set, and that's why I'm trying to move it).

By the way, here's the graded copy I currently have "with my set" although it's not in my set in the notebook in its place. Posting it just to show the difference in the non graded one and the graded one, and there is quite a bit of difference.

Last edited by wdwfan; 04-17-2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:54 PM
Andrew

$150 for one in that nice condition would probably be at least somewhat of a red flag as well.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:04 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

A little late to the party, but the clear tell to me is the top border. It's as smooth as a Brazilian wax, when it should have all sorts of discernible bumps/pockmarks across it, most especially in the top right corner. There is 'always' a black protuberance (that's a ten cent word!) appearing there. Here are a couple of random scans showing what I mean...

1966mantletopborder.jpg

The other notable anomaly is where the black hits the red "Yankees" banner. It is never a perfectly smooth transition from black to red across that top border. Never. It should be jagged.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.