NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-01-2021, 02:58 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Default $4.6Mil logoman Luka Doncic

I am so happy Vegas Dave's Mike Trout card isn't the most expensive card being sold. Now he can stop bitxhing about that deal.

New record, $4.6M.... go figured!

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/...t1wu7e5qfjvcsw
Old 03-01-2021, 03:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Not bad for a 3rd year player.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:37 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Not bad for an ungraded as well..
Old 03-01-2021, 04:42 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

Whoever bought that card doesn’t care that it will be worth 1% of that hammer someday lol
Old 03-01-2021, 04:55 PM
Eric Cheng

There's a LOT of rich people, they gain a lot during the pandemic, wealth transfer from poor to the rich
Old 03-01-2021, 04:58 PM
Brian May
Bri.an M@y

Further proof that you don't need brains to be rich.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:05 PM

Private sale between "new business partners and friends."
Old 03-01-2021, 05:35 PM
George E.

Default For low pop cards, especially 1/1s...

I don’t supposed there would be a point in getting a 1/1 graded. Unless there was a question of authenticity.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Private sale between "new business partners and friends."
Staged social media event maybe.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:02 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Lol, he wrote out a personalized check for it. No wrote transfer lol
Old 03-01-2021, 06:03 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

How much potential upside is left at $4.6M? The purchaser is essentially gambling that a 22-year-old, third-year player, will ultimately have the GOAT crown when his career is over.

This will require winning multiple MVPs, championships, and scoring titles - all while avoiding injuries and off-the-court issues. This risk v. reward analysis is simply not there. Risk is way too high.

A nice-looking authentic Wagner just sold for $2.5M? So, in theory, the purchaser could almost buy two of the most iconic sports card of all-time for $400k more than he paid for an ungraded third-year NBA player.

To each his own. WoW!
Old 03-01-2021, 06:19 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Maybe there was more to the deal. Cocaine, Diamonds, Ransom, Blackmail...who knows. If you think about it, buying a ridiculously overpriced card is a good way to launder money. Like a NYC condo but easier to pack up and take home with you.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-01-2021 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:21 PM
Eric Cheng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
How much potential upside is left at $4.6M? The purchaser is essentially gambling that a 22-year-old, third-year player, will ultimately have the GOAT crown when his career is over.

This will require winning multiple MVPs, championships, and scoring titles - all while avoiding injuries and off-the-court issues. This risk v. reward analysis is simply not there. Risk is way too high.

A nice-looking authentic Wagner just sold for $2.5M? So, in theory, the purchaser could almost buy two of the most iconic sports card of all-time for $400k more than he paid for an ungraded third-year NBA player.

To each his own. WoW!
Since this is now public, the seller would have to pay tax on it . IRS is all over this. If they fake the sale, still have to pay tax, IRS won't believe what they say
Old 03-01-2021, 07:09 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

No way. Might have been believable were it not for the check.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:21 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

I guess we will see LeBron Logoman RC 1/1 has a $6M price tag next wk.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:34 PM

I never heard of the guy.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abothebear View Post
I don’t supposed there would be a point in getting a 1/1 graded. Unless there was a question of authenticity.
A lot of people think the card was signed by his mom.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:33 PM
George E.

Could it be an ill-fated attempt at creating a run? Suppose you were a Doncic collector and had several of his most valuable RCs. The market explodes and Jordan’s are going for mega-bucks. You think to yourself, “self, what if Doncic went to the moon?” And you thought that maybe you could make this happen by orchestrating an event with a 1/1 Doncic you happened to have. Stage a record sale of lunar proportions and watch your other Doncic boats rise with the tide.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:45 PM
Matt

Live near Dallas, love Luka. The price that card sold for had one, maybe two too many zeros at the end.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:09 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abothebear View Post
Could it be an ill-fated attempt at creating a run? Suppose you were a Doncic collector and had several of his most valuable RCs. The market explodes and Jordan’s are going for mega-bucks. You think to yourself, “self, what if Doncic went to the moon?” And you thought that maybe you could make this happen by orchestrating an event with a 1/1 Doncic you happened to have. Stage a record sale of lunar proportions and watch your other Doncic boats rise with the tide.
It could be the case here!
Old 03-02-2021, 05:00 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

You guys probably didn't see the thread about basketball player Giannis A. showing off his collection of his own cards. Although many were cards Panini sent him to sign and put in packs, he never returned them. So he basically stole those 1/1 cards from Panini. Nice job, multi-millionaire.

But yes, a lot of this sounds fishy. But just like the guy who bought the PSA 9 Mantle for double it sold for last year and was "thrilled" to get it, they're basically spending the same amount as a Super Bowl commercial to get the press and articles explaining who they are. I think the card itself is secondary.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:54 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Hidden reserve was 4,499,999.99?

Top of the market, mark this post...

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-02-2021, 08:02 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Maybe there was more to the deal. Cocaine, Diamonds, Ransom, Blackmail...who knows. If you think about it, buying a ridiculously overpriced card is a good way to launder money. Like a NYC condo but easier to pack up and take home with you.
I've thought money laundering many times, it's the only thing that really makes sense to me when I see these prices for cards like this, or someone who has made millions on Bitcoin and to them the money isn't real.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 03-02-2021, 09:00 AM
Tony

Maybe the buyer was Monty Brewster of the Hackensack Bulls?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CF422A5D-307B-4E90-BBD2-EC9CE41D75D4.jpg (13.8 KB, 338 views)
Old 03-02-2021, 09:04 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Only a matter of time until we see a Patrick Mahomes hits a million. And I don’t own a basic card of him.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:33 AM
T0m P00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
Only a matter of time until we see a Patrick Mahomes hits a million. And I don’t own a basic card of him.
I predict it'll happen in a few days

https://twitter.com/GoldinAuctions/s...55100573229056
Old 03-02-2021, 09:35 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob28 View Post
I've thought money laundering many times, it's the only thing that really makes sense to me when I see these prices for cards like this, or someone who has made millions on Bitcoin and to them the money isn't real.
I mean we see it in Fine art, I never thought cardboard would be used for it but at the current rate of this market, it wouldn't surprise me.

It really just blows my mind, it has to be Money laundering, it's the only reasonable conclusion. 4.6 Million for a signed card from a third year player? I know Doncic is good, but 4.6 Million? It's unreal. He could blow out his knee tomorrow and never play again.

At least with the Wagner's, Cobbs, Mantle's and Ruth's of the world, you don't run that risk.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:31 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2000 View Post
I predict it'll happen in a few days

https://twitter.com/GoldinAuctions/s...55100573229056
Wow it does seem to be around the corner !
Old 03-02-2021, 01:14 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I mean we see it in Fine art, I never thought cardboard would be used for it but at the current rate of this market, it wouldn't surprise me.

It really just blows my mind, it has to be Money laundering, it's the only reasonable conclusion. 4.6 Million for a signed card from a third year player? I know Doncic is good, but 4.6 Million? It's unreal. He could blow out his knee tomorrow and never play again.

At least with the Wagner's, Cobbs, Mantle's and Ruth's of the world, you don't run that risk.
I had been thinking of the money laundering angle considerably since it's well known that over $40 BILLION in previous covid relief packages has been lost due to fraud (Link). These criminals have to try to "clean" this money somehow, so why not cards? However, saying that, a lot of the folks who are buying these record prices in cards are making themselves known, so if you are a criminal, you wouldn't want to publicize that you just spent millions on a baseball card and have it in the news.

On another note, I remember when we were in the throes on (Jeremy) Linsanity a few years ago, and people were buying his rookie cards for absurd prices like $75,000 (Link. However, those prices are peanuts compared to what prices are going for now.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:04 PM

How do you guys figure money laundering over a card would work? Unless you're saying the seller was laundering money as well? In order to launder money both parties need to be in the know.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:16 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Very low check number...hmmm
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:58 PM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
How do you guys figure money laundering over a card would work? Unless you're saying the seller was laundering money as well? In order to launder money both parties need to be in the know.
Perhaps they mean more like an alternative to secret off-shore accounts (assuming such things still exist). Once the money (post laundering, if appropriate) buys the card, the asset can be conveniently retained at a safe/secret location and perhaps beyond the reach of prying tax authorities, court judgements, ex-spouses, creditors, etc. Obviously the act of purchasing the card should create some trail, but over time the card may be easier to "hide" (or "liquidate") than bank/securities accounts. The card could also be used to pay for services on the "barter" economy.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPoto View Post
Perhaps they mean more like an alternative to secret off-shore accounts (assuming such things still exist). Once the money (post laundering, if appropriate) buys the card, the asset can be conveniently retained at a safe/secret location and perhaps beyond the reach of prying tax authorities, court judgements, ex-spouses, creditors, etc. Obviously the act of purchasing the card should create some trail, but over time the card may be easier to "hide" (or "liquidate") than bank/securities accounts. The card could also be used to pay for services on the "barter" economy.
That's not how money laundering works though. Money laundering is a system devised to conceal funds. The object is to illicitly pay for something from a vendor, which is actually a shell company you also own, and then through a series of transactions with other shell companies you own, the money comes back to you in a legitimate way.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:25 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

You make an over-inflated deal for one asset in a safe country but the hidden part of the deal is for illicit assets that are not part of the paperwork; those trade hands separately in the country of origin. Perhaps you agree to pay $6 million for a property worth $4 million and the other side slips you equivalent in gold, diamonds, art or some other off the books illicit item that you can then sell for a lot more. You end up with the real estate here and a pile of diamonds over there, which you then smuggle out or sell into a burgeoning black market. The seller ends up with the cash here, and pays taxes happily here to launder the proceeds. Years ago I (briefly) had a case where that happened. I quit when I found out. I don't represent mobsters...just the usual assortment of celebrities, perverts, weirdos and junkies one finds in Los Angeles.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-02-2021 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:48 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

We all have standards Adam!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-02-2021, 03:49 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Drawing such a large amount of attention to yourself screams vanity rather than shady laundering to me.
If it's laundering you want to do you make the same deal in a dark room where no-one else knows about it.
Running up the price by purchasing high to 'pump' and then 'dump' your remaining stock is enormously risky.
First the attention will mean IRS attention.
Secondly, there are only a few players in that end of the market, probably no more than 2-3 in the close ball park high figure and then another 2-3 30%-50% below that.
All it takes is for the other potential buyers to see better value in a different patch or issue and leave that immediate market for the card and you're left holding merchandise worth 2-3 times what you can now get back for it.

Stuff like Lebron's 03 Exquisite patch cards, numbered to 99 or 23, have grown very organically over the last 15 years...even if that has become stratospheric in the last 12 months.
There is a large market who have the funds (in the hundreds of collectors for this exclusive issue) for his stuff and it trades consistently and regularly and higher and higher.

I think this Doncic number is far more likely a long term play by a collector or collector group who think the return in 10-15 years could be as good or better than the one made for Lebron rooks. They have the money that they aren't going to lose sleep if this card doesn't play out.
And GUARANTEED they have boat loads of cash into other players and feel good about making up with one card what they lose in another.

Last edited by 68Hawk; 03-02-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:04 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

I already contacted IRS to look into this, they didn't charge sales tax on this transaction. (I am pretty sure the buyer would file such transaction on his own and pay the tax..... yeah right)
Old 03-02-2021, 04:13 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
I already contacted IRS to look into this....
That's pretty effing weird of you to involve yourself.
I need to remember not to share what I buy and sell on this forum I guess, who knows which member is going to think it's their place to rummage.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:16 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Hawk View Post
That's pretty effing weird of you to involve yourself.
I need to remember not to share what I buy and sell on this forum I guess, who knows which member is going to think it's their place to rummage.
LOL... u know I was kidding right? I honestly doubt that was a legit transaction, certainly IRS wouldn't have any record. (May be Vegas Dave really contacted IRS)

Last edited by chriskim; 03-02-2021 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:20 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunzio11 View Post
Maybe the buyer was Monty Brewster of the Hackensack Bulls?
I think this would qualify as an asset, though...
Old 03-02-2021, 04:20 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
LOL... u know I was kidding right? I honestly doubt that was a legit transaction, certainly IRS wouldn't have any record.
Nope, didn't know you were kidding.
Who publicizes a non legit transaction? It doesn't take long for the mass of eyes who are suddenly interested to start asking questions, and you look like an absolute dill weed if you out yourself as a simple agrandizer.
No more playing in the deep end of the pool for that person I guarantee it, most of these transactions happen because of VERY good faith that it will consumate.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:30 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
Very low check number...hmmm
Instead of ordering checks by going to the branch and ordering the checks through their automatic reminders with the checks I had I decided I'd order my next batch through on-line. Well, when I got my checks they were... 101-150. I was shocked but just wanted to point out the low number check might just be a different way of ordering.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 03-02-2021 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:52 AM

The ONE fishy thing to me is that someone would write a personal check for 4 million dollars. If you're the seller, why would you ever accept that as payment? Wouldn't a purchase that large be made with a registered check?
Old 03-03-2021, 08:37 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
The ONE fishy thing to me is that someone would write a personal check for 4 million dollars. If you're the seller, why would you ever accept that as payment? Wouldn't a purchase that large be made with a registered check?
There are a very few people I know and trust enough that I'd take a check from them for any amount.

Now, none of them could write a $4 million check, or would for a card, but if one of them hit the lottery or something yeah, I'd be fine with it.

Most other people....
Old 03-03-2021, 08:41 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
I already contacted IRS to look into this, they didn't charge sales tax on this transaction. (I am pretty sure the buyer would file such transaction on his own and pay the tax..... yeah right)
A business would have a resale number and anything bought for inventory is sales tax exempt. (In my state at least, not sure about others. )

Now if it's still in inventory at the end of the year, they'd probably be taxed as profit assuming the inventory increased over the previous year.
My city also charges a tax on business inventory stored in the city.