NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-05-2004, 01:04 AM
Administrator

Default T206 Harry Howell NO red

Posted By: Lee Behrens

This might be for Bob Lemke, I have a Harry Howell with no red ink. check out the lips, the face and the color, NO lipstick for Harry on this one.

Could this be worth hundreds of dollars like the no red Boston cards?

Old 05-05-2004, 01:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

It only makes sense that if Boston players are missing red ink that other players on the sheet would also be missing red ink.

Jay

Old 05-05-2004, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I'm asking because I see light red ink throughout the card, even on his lower lip. This appears to be just light ink, but if you had a 10X you could confirm one way or the other.

Old 05-05-2004, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: FatBoy

I see the red also.

Ink trays run out of ink, printers making adjustments at the beginning of a day's run till color comes up and don't pull the "proof sheets" (I know, I know...shouldn't have said this, LOL), printer apprentices testing their skills when given the opportunity, (I always relished this chance, ), etc etc.

Keith

Old 05-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Not to play dumb guys but that is all the Boston cards are, what makes them so special? I would put a higher magnification up but I can't get the photo to come back up to enlarge it. If you woould like a scan let me know.

Old 05-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

You're right Lee, the Boston "no B" cards are nothing really special. They are missing ink but because Sweeney is listed in the SCD it is given legitimacy.

Old 05-05-2004, 12:05 PM
Administrator

There may be hints of red ink, but if this was one of the Boston cards, it would still command a premium.

Jay

Old 05-05-2004, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Like Pete said, the Boston cards shouldn't be considered too special either.

My thought was that the "No B" cards slipped by the printers because it wasn't something that stood out. It would have been a different story if they had run out of the green ink, since it covered the entire background.

Could be that a bunch of the "no red ink" sheets were printed and no one even noticed - so enough cards made it to production for people to later notice the variation and tack on a premium.

Old 05-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

The Sweeney no B is listed in the Standard Catalog because the hobby gave it legitimacy decades ago. Unitl about 20 years ago it was considered as legitimate a T206 varition as Magie. Likewise with the other specific errors we list for T206; those are cards that regularly sell for a premium.

Old 05-06-2004, 01:28 PM
Administrator

But just because it was considered a 'legit' variation years ago doesn't mean we have to blindly follow the dogma when facts to the contrary are found to prove otherwise.

It's easy enough to make the mistake that since the "B" was missing from Boston players that people in the early days of the hobby thought that the "B" was added later. We now know better and know that simply the red ink is missing. If the Boston cards are 'legit' variations', then the Howell is a also one for the same reason and the new price guides need to be updated. If the Howell is not a 'legit' variation, then the Boston no red ink cards are not legit variations either and need to be noted as such. I know the later won't happen, since it's already a part of the mindset of the hobby, but then all new no red ink variations need also be noted as legit variations.

Jay