NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-30-2004, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Default Master list of reputable vintage ebay sellers - Is this possible?

Posted By: Gary B.

If you're like me, you spend more time on ebay researching if a seller or auction looks legitimate than you do actually looking for auctions. I was envisioning a place where people could add the id of sellers they've bought cards from that were legit - kind of a grand master list of reputable ebay vintage card dealers. Maybe even using our own grading system of 1 for each person who's bought from them and recommend then. I also envisioned a system where one negative experience (scam, card grossly misrepresented, seller irresponsible in some major way) would kick them off the list no matter how many positives they had. I imagine with all the Net54 regulars using this, it would grow to quite a large list in no time. I think something like this could be invaluable for people, to save having to ask each time we are wondering if a seller is reputable or do tons of unneeded research due to pooled knowledge.

This of course would just be a tool and not an opportunity to "turn off your brain" as common sense and some research might still be necessary, but it could also be a great time-saver. Of course someone (Net54?) would have to host this list in a way that it was easy to access, add to, remove an id if necessary, keep alphabetical, etc., so I'm just really suggesting the idea and seeing what people think. Maybe something like this already exists or has been tried before or suggested before - I don't know being relatively new to the board.

Input please.

Old 10-01-2004, 04:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

old cardboard has a list of the top 50 vintage dealers on ebay. i haven't dealt with all, but i have bought from quite a few, so thats a start.also just common sense like reading feedback,return policy,ask a question,etc..there's a lot of honest sellers out there.

Old 10-01-2004, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

There are more honest sellers then crooks. I've never really had a problem when buying. Of course I'm looking for specific cards so whatever dealer has them up...

Old 10-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Start the list Gary. Who do you recommend? I will add to it the little that I can.

Old 10-01-2004, 01:22 PM
Administrator

some comments made:

"old cardboard has a list of the top 50 vintage dealers on ebay. i haven't dealt with all, but i have bought from quite a few, so thats a start.also just common sense like reading feedback,return policy,ask a question,etc..there's a lot of honest sellers out there."

yes, that is a start, but there are many hundreds if not thousands of individuals and businesses selling vintage cards, and while i understand the common sense aspects of researching, it does take a lot of time, so i was thinking of a more comprehensive resource to be a timesaver.

"there are more honest sellers then crooks."

while that's true, there are plenty of crooks, and when spending a lot of money on cards, no one, myself included can take the chance of hoping for the best without often doing research.

"Start the list Gary. Who do you recommend? I will add to it the little that I can."

I appreciate where you're coming from here, but adding to a regular post on Net54 would get pretty unwieldy pretty fast. I was hoping someone somewhere would be willing to host such a list, that is if there is sufficient interest from board members. If there isn't, no big deal, it was just an idea that I thought could be useful.

Old 10-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Gary, there are free web sites. Pick one, start the list, accept e-mail input in the format which you specify, use standard software to alphabetize it, cut and paste to your site. Provide us with a link. Or do I not understand your request?

Gilbert

Old 10-01-2004, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

You could use the guys on this board as a list of honest sellers.
I cannot remember having a bad transaction with anyone who posts on this board either as a buyer or seller and I have transacted with a lot of guys here.
I'd rather buy from the posters on this board (and the lurkers) than a stranger-individual or stranger- company on ebay or on the internet, any day of the week. I just wish more posters here had M116s and E94s for sale

Old 10-02-2004, 12:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

ebay since 97, 10 neg feedback.

Old 10-02-2004, 06:46 AM
Administrator

"Gary, there are free web sites. Pick one, start the list, accept e-mail input in the format which you specify, use standard software to alphabetize it, cut and paste to your site. Provide us with a link."

This is a great idea, but I just don't have the skills to do that. I've never created a website in my life, don't know any kind of basic programming language like html or anything. If someone else likes this idea and wants to take on the project, you're more than welcome to, but if it's up to me to do it, it might be a good long time before it happens. I more wanted to throw the idea out there to see what the response was. While I greatly appreciate that old cardboard has the top 50 list, and that I would trust the regulars on the Net54 board without giving it a lot of thought, the fact still remains that I come across sellers all the time where I still have to invest a great deal of time in determining whether I want to bid on one of their auctions. Case in point is the Brian Cataquet thread that I started - it takes a lot of time to go through the process in determining whether I want to bid on something by a person or not, and I am just thinking of a way to make the process easier for all.

Old 10-02-2004, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

my research indicates this is real - nice card - thoughtfully protected!
Buyer boffo9k ( 189) Sep-29-04 10:41 5121775934 ---this feed back is from the guy who bought the phoney ruth from ADAMSDAD----so someone even thinks that crook is reputable

Old 10-02-2004, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Howie

It's obvious at a glance of Brian's feedback that he's probably a good guy. He has some negatives, but these may be totally irrelevant to the nature of the item you're interested in placing a bid on. Take the time to read the issues that other buyers have had and consider if these might apply to your item. If you have any concerns, address them with the seller. Good sellers much prefer to address these questions before you place a bid, not after you've received the item. If your questions or concerns aren't addressed then I wouldn't take a chance if he's on the good guy list or not. The same applies to anybody else you see selling on Ebay. There will never be a good guy list that will guaranty that everybody will always be satisfied when dealing with somebody from the list. Even the best sellers are subject to delivery problems and unreasonable customer expectations.

Old 10-02-2004, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

You can't usually tell from feedback that someone is obviously a good guy, but you CAN tell if they definitely are losers.

Old 10-02-2004, 11:35 AM
Administrator

beyond just positive feedback, is often WHO gave positive feedback.

If I see someone with 99% plus feedback, I look for any negatives to see why they were negative, and then I look at WHO gave the person positive feedback - if there are lots of regular Net54 members and/or known reputable dealers that I recognize, that goes a LONG way for me in whether I will trust the seller or not...

Old 10-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter P.

my research indicates this is real - nice card - thoughtfully protected!
Buyer boffo9k ( 189) Sep-29-04 10:41 5121775934 ---this feed back is from the guy who bought the phoney ruth from ADAMSDAD----so someone even thinks that crook is reputable

>>>>LOL!!! Talk about small world! I actually sold the guy my Poor condition Diamond Stars Red Ruffing that I picked up years ago like an idiot off eBay for $20. We've actually been having pleasant email exchanges about the Yankees and the upcoming playoffs.

>>>>Seriously, a small world.