NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-17-2020, 01:48 AM
John

I believe this is the final issue...April 1965

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2020, 05:05 AM

Default Bazooka

Bazooka Bazooka Bazooka!!!
I think this finishes up Brook's Bazooka run. The 71 panel is the numbered version.The 1964 full stamp panel is loaded with star power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brooks 71 bazooka.jpg (73.5 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg Brooks bazooka Stamp.jpg (78.9 KB, 180 views)
Old 01-17-2020, 05:11 AM
M@rk Comer

Default "Would you believe that...this guy is in another world".

Day 17 (January 17, 2020 – 017)

Brooks has quite a few figurines and there are several using the same pose from the ’70 World Series, Game 3, when Brooks dove to his left to stab a liner off of Johnny Bench. This piece is a 1993 Salvino cold cast porcelain figurine with Brooks’ autograph; believe they were /1000. This really is one of the nicer figurines of Brooks; looks cool on the shelf.

Day 17 a Salvino figurine.jpg

Below is a photo of one of the several angles taken of Brooks’ dive in the 1970 Series.

Day 17 b.jpg
Old 01-17-2020, 05:46 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles70 View Post
Here is one of the last issues of Baseball Magazine...from December 1964...nice pic of Brooks from his MVP year
John,

I think they used some great looking photographs on the front of Baseball Magazine. The photo of Brooks from 1964 is a such a nice pose, plus you have the BLOCK letter ORIOLES with the Star-Spangled Banner Sesquicentennial patch.

I might be in the minority, but I really liked all the Oriole uniforms back in the day to include the caps. The block letters were just a nice change and alternative in my view.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:50 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Bazooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
Bazooka Bazooka Bazooka!!!
I think this finishes up Brook's Bazooka run. The 71 panel is the numbered version.The 1964 full stamp panel is loaded with star power.
Man, these are NICE again! Scott you have such a great collection of items.

You guys do know that I'm trying to do a Brooks Robinson and the Baltimore Orioles thread for the YEAR? Should it end in January with all the great, rare and interesting stuff being pictured this month...
Old 01-17-2020, 06:19 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Back in the 1960's when colleges would order bats from Hillerich & Bradsby, not only the colleges name would be on the barrel but the the facsimile signature of one of their players under contract would appear as well.

I mentioned earlier that we gave my youngest son the middle name of Brooks and when I saw on eBay one of those bats (early 60's labeling period) from the college he recently graduated from with Brooks as the player on it, it was a no brainer to grab it.

We went down to a appearance at a shop in Baltimore to have it signed:

Old 01-17-2020, 07:05 AM

Mark
The thread might not go 365 days...Who Cares! It's hard to hold back and post just one item! I love what I am seeing. It's just going to get better and better as collectors dig deep into their collections. I liked the magazine covers today especially all the unopened wax and boxes in the background.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:05 AM
Clint

Really nice items guys. Love the Palmer uniform, the Bazookas are great, classic Brooks World Series dive and the vintage signature style bat is awesome.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:02 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
Back in the 1960's when colleges would order bats from Hillerich & Bradsby, not only the colleges name would be on the barrel but the the facsimile signature of one of their players under contract would appear as well.

I mentioned earlier that we gave my youngest son the middle name of Brooks and when I saw on eBay one of those bats (early 60's labeling period) from the college he recently graduated from with Brooks as the player on it, it was a no brainer to grab it.

We went down to a appearance at a shop in Baltimore to have it signed.
Bill,

That's a great bat and story about your son. I have one of the college bats somewhere, but unsure what college it's from. I know it was beat up pretty good though.

Great pics by the way as well.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:06 AM
M@rk Comer

Default 1977 Brooks Robinson postcard signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Day 16 (January 16, 2020 – 016)

1977 Postcard
Thought I'd post something today related to Day 16; a 1977 Orioles postcard with a pretty nice Brooks auto.

1977 Team Issue Postcard signed.jpg
Old 01-17-2020, 09:47 AM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:
Mark
The thread might not go 365 days...Who Cares! It's hard to hold back and post just one item! I love what I am seeing. It's just going to get better and better as collectors dig deep into their collections.
I don't know if we'll run out of Brooks items within the year, but there are still a lot of Orioles related stuff in collections that should keep the thread going for a while. I bet Brooks would love to see some of the items being shared.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:59 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson and the Baltimore Orioles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
I don't know if we'll run out of Brooks items within the year, but there are still a lot of Orioles related stuff in collections that should keep the thread going for a while. I bet Brooks would love to see some of the items being shared.
I was really just joking about making it through the year, BUT the quality that I'll be posting may diminish significantly
Old 01-17-2020, 10:15 AM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Most of us are familiar with the Jays Publishing Co. 5x7 photo packs issued from 1957-1965. These are not to be confused with the team issued photo packs sold at the stadium during the 60's, although they look similar in many ways.

In 1958, Jays issued two different photo packs of 12 Orioles. The more common group contain Bob Boyd, Jim Busby, Billy Gardner, Connie Johnson, Billy Loes, Willy Miranda, Bob Nieman, Billy O'Dell, Al Pilarcik, Paul Richards, Gus Triandos and George Zuverink.

In the second group, Boyd, Busby and Loes were replaced with Jack Harshman, Arnold Portocarrero and Brooks Robinson. The other nine players remained the same, although there were some slight cropping differences. This second pack with Brooks seems much harder to find.

Here is the Brooks Robinson

1958 Jays 11.jpg

Here's an example of the cropping differences between the first and second packs. Most noticeable by the name placement and uniform neckline.

1958 Jays 06.jpg
1958 Jays 12.jpg
Old 01-17-2020, 12:47 PM
John

Quote:
Mark

The thread might not go 365 days...Who Cares! It's hard to hold back and post just one item! I love what I am seeing. It's just going to get better and better as collectors dig deep into their collections. I liked the magazine covers today especially all the unopened wax and boxes in the background.
Good eye on catching the boxes...I put the magazines on top of one of my cases to take the pics...case shows full display boxes from 1951-1975 of Topps, Bowman and Fleer with wrappers and duplicate cards in the boxes...it's off topic but thought I would post at least the one pic...if any interest I would post a few more

John

Old 01-17-2020, 12:58 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Most of us are familiar with the Jays Publishing Co. 5x7 photo packs issued from 1957-1965. These are not to be confused with the team issued photo packs sold at the stadium during the 60's, although they look similar in many ways.

In 1958, Jays issued two different photo packs of 12 Orioles. The more common group contain Bob Boyd, Jim Busby, Billy Gardner, Connie Johnson, Billy Loes, Willy Miranda, Bob Nieman, Billy O'Dell, Al Pilarcik, Paul Richards, Gus Triandos and George Zuverink.

In the second group, Boyd, Busby and Loes were replaced with Jack Harshman, Arnold Portocarrero and Brooks Robinson. The other nine players remained the same, although there were some slight cropping differences. This second pack with Brooks seems much harder to find.

Here is the Brooks Robinson

Here's an example of the cropping differences between the first and second packs. Most noticeable by the name placement and uniform neckline.
I wasn’t aware that Brooks wasn’t in both ‘58 Jays Publication photo packs, but it makes sense as to why Brooks is a toughie.

Both Orioles team issue and Jays liked to use the same photos with slightly different cropping. Wish they used different photos each and every time.

The 1958 Jays Brooks is a favorite. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:01 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Good eye on catching the boxes...I put the magazines on top of one of my cases to take the pics...case shows full display boxes from 1951-1975 of Topps, Bowman and Fleer with wrappers and duplicate cards in the boxes...it's off topic but thought I would post at least the one pic...if any interest I would post a few more

John

John,

You’re so funny; ”if any interest I would post a few more”. There’s definitely interest. That display is AMAZING!!
Old 01-17-2020, 01:20 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
John,

You’re so funny; ”if any interest I would post a few more”. There’s definitely interest. That display is AMAZING!!
Mark,

Ok...but remember you asked for them...a few close ups

Old 01-17-2020, 01:21 PM
John

A different angle

Old 01-17-2020, 01:23 PM
John

...and a far away shot...obviously I am no photographer...will keep my day job
John

Old 01-17-2020, 02:54 PM

I am guessing the unopened packs in the boxes are put together by yourself and the boxes are stuffed so they appear to be filled . Right ? If you tell me they are all real and full .... I am speechless. It is a great display I love wrappers and boxes. Don’t have much In my collection but the art, colors and graphics on the old Topps products are beautiful. I am sure the photos don’t do it justice. It must display great in person I am jealous !!!
Old 01-17-2020, 04:55 PM
John

Quote:
I am guessing the unopened packs in the boxes are put together by yourself and the boxes are stuffed so they appear to be filled . Right ? If you tell me they are all real and full .... I am speechless. It is a great display I love wrappers and boxes. Don’t have much In my collection but the art, colors and graphics on the old Topps products are beautiful. I am sure the photos don’t do it justice. It must display great in person I am jealous !!!
Thanks so much....been quite a while since I have actually been in the case but if memory serves the boxes pre 1969 or 1970 have about 5 actual duplicate cards in each stack but made to appear full....boxes after that thru 1980 I think are full with actual cards but just commons or semis and most cards displayed are VG but collectible for someone like me for display...I have completed sets from 1957 thru 2019 with a few exceptions....and from 1981 thru 1995 I have full unopened wax boxes...all boxes and wrappers you see displayed are original...it's cool to see the price progression, the change in box and wrapper design, the premium inserts, etc...I have folded all those original wrappers (is that a hobby sin for which I must repent?) to look like original packs in each box...collecting the boxes and wrappers was one of the most enjoyable things I have done in this hobby...it took about 10 years to get all those boxes and wrappers in such nice shape and displayed but I thoroughly enjoy them...not sure I would undertake such a venture now...makes for such a nice display and conversation where most everybody that sees them can relate at some point in their lives

John

Old 01-17-2020, 05:11 PM

It is stunning ! No hobby sin committed ! Are you in search of any box or wrapper? I know the 1969 super box is hard to find .Thanks for sharing such a display. I think this weekend I am going to get my boxes (3) out for display !!!

Last edited by quitcrab; 01-17-2020 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:07 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Display Cases

Quote:
Mark,

Ok...but remember you asked for them...a few close ups.
I remember and I’m glad I asked. How you have the original boxes, wrappers, and cards organized and displayed is so enjoyable to the eye. Thanks so much for posting the pictures and they’re definitely motivating to get my junk organized much, much better.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:02 PM
John

Quote:
It is stunning ! No hobby sin committed ! Are you in search of any box or wrapper ? I know the 69 super box is hard to find Thanks for sharing such a display. I think this weekend I am going to get my boxes (3) out for display !!!
Always looking for boxes and wrappers I don't have...would like a 1951 and 1953 Bowman penny box and would like a 1952, 1954 and 1955 Topps nickel box...think they are the ones I'm missing to have all regular Topps boxes from 1951-1995 and Bowman from 1951-1955 in nice shape...have the early 1960's Fleer and Leaf boxes and wrappers as well...the oddball Topps boxes can be tough too but are really neat...have a Topps Super box but it's not the 1969 but do have some odd Topps boxes...have a few older baseball and football boxes for trade...here is an odd but not real valuable Brooks item to help make up for the distraction.

John

Old 01-18-2020, 03:55 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 18 (January 18, 2020 – 018)

I believe this to be a pinback from likely the early to the mid-1970 time frame. I’ve seen a number of these type pins with the black box with the player name and team listed within the box over the years (especially the Cubs for some reason).

1970’s Brooks Robinson pinback.

Day 18.jpg

Hey pin experts; tell me anything and everything you know about the pin pictured. I’ve seen a few of the Orioles players over the years with the black box at the bottom of the button with the name and team included. Does there happen to be a checklist somewhere?
Old 01-18-2020, 04:12 AM
M@rk Comer

Default 1967 Topps and Venz

Posted for Clint (ksfarmboy). 1967 Topps #600 and 1967 Venezuelan #211.

1967 Topps & Venz front.jpg
1967 Topps & Venz back.jpg

Man, that Venezuela card is nice looking Clint. These usually are rough especially on the back.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:18 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Here is an odd but not real valuable Brooks item to help make up for the distraction.
John,

Now you're going to have to find the boxes in which Brooks is pictured and post those exclusively due to the distractions incurred

The 1969 Tasco is so ugly it's pretty neat. I used to see these things all over the place back in the day, but they seldom come up for sale anymore at least with the Brooks. Of course when they do come up they are typically fairly inexpensive (cheap...).
Old 01-18-2020, 04:54 AM
John

I will check for Brooks boxes...meanwhile, here is a 1969 Topps team poster...shows Brooks and Etchebarren with the old cap logo 3 years after the introduction of the cartoon bird

Old 01-18-2020, 04:55 AM
John

Sorry...here it is

Old 01-18-2020, 05:27 AM
John

Another magazine cover easily found and inexpensive...not sure if these Scout magazines at that time were available on newsstands as they always seem to have mailing labels or the labels have been peeled off...makes him look like he had a shaving accident and has a band aid on his chin...anybody know if they were newsstand available

Old 01-18-2020, 07:58 AM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:
Another magazine cover easily found and inexpensive...not sure if these Scout magazines at that time were available on newsstands as they always seem to have mailing labels or the labels have been peeled off...makes him look like he had a shaving accident and has a band aid on his chin...anybody know if they were newsstand available

Back in the day, when I was a Boy Scout, a subscription to Boys Life was an option as part of your membership renewal. If I remember right, it was encouraged, which probably means the Boy Scouts got some kind of kick back based upon the number of subscriptions. I'm guessing that's why they usually have mailing labels.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:27 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Default Johnny pro

This was a popular but common set when I began collecting. I think the first set I bought was at a show in Silver Spring MD. A great show I first met John Scott. Nick Schoff, Tim Collier, and spent a good portion of the show asking Paul Pollard Questions who was always patient with a 14 year old who beginning to learn about Baseball Cards. Great time in card collecting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l400 (14).jpg (20.2 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg s-l400 (15).jpg (19.8 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg s-l400 (16).jpg (17.6 KB, 166 views)
Old 01-18-2020, 11:00 AM
Alan Strout

Default Orioles 1971 Japan Tour

Here are a few publications from the Orioles tour in Japan after the 1971 season. Does anyone speak Japanese? I assume a couple of these are programs, based upon the inside, but not sure. One looks like it was published by a newspaper previewing the tour and the last two are like magazines. Some of them picture Brooks on the front.

Programs/Scorecards

1971 Japan Tour (Program #1).jpg 1971 Japan Tour (Program #2).jpg

Newspaper Preview

1971 Japan Tour (Daily Yomiuri).jpg

Japanese Magazines

1971 Japanese Magazine (Japan TourNovember 22).jpg 1971 Japanese Magazine (Japan TourNovember 29).jpg
Old 01-18-2020, 11:12 AM
Bill H@e1ig

I think the term "White Whale" gets thrown around the hobby a little too freely these days however I recently picked up something that's as close as a "White Whale" I'll ever see.

For well over 20 years, I've been looking for a ticket from May 6, 1984 in which Cal Ripken Jr. became only the 2nd Oriole in history to hit for the cycle (Brooksie was the other). The game was played on a Sunday afternoon in Arlington in front of only 13,224 fans.

I finally was able to pick this ticket up (a full ticket no less) from an eBay seller in France (of all places), who worded the auction awkwardly (thus avoiding attention):

Old 01-18-2020, 11:43 AM
Clint

Great pickup Bill. Do you have the ticket from Ripken’s first game of the streak?
Old 01-18-2020, 11:54 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
Great pickup Bill. Do you have the ticket from Ripken’s first game of the streak?
Thanks Clint.......

Much appreciated..

I do have not only the ticket to that game but also the umpire's line up cards as well...I'll be sure to post them later

Love seeing your Game Used jersey's

Bill
Old 01-18-2020, 12:01 PM
Clint

Thanks Bill, can’t wait to see them and your game used items too.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:10 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
I will check for Brooks boxes...meanwhile, here is a 1969 Topps team poster...shows Brooks and Etchebarren with the old cap logo 3 years after the introduction of the cartoon bird
Really like the Orioles team poster. Always wondered why they didn't have a picture of Buford in an Oriole hat since it’s airbrushed. He was on the O’s in 1968 as well...

Last edited by Mark70Z; 01-18-2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:12 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
This was a popular but common set when I began collecting. I think the first set I bought was at a show in Silver Spring MD. A great show I first met John Scott. Nick Schoff, Tim Collier, and spent a good portion of the show asking Paul Pollard Questions who was always patient with a 14 year old who beginning to learn about Baseball Cards. Great time in card collecting.
I think this is a cool and undervalued set. I’ve seen a few of these graded and when more become slabbed I think it will increase in value. I also like that Brooks has the batting AND fielding example.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:16 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Here are a few publications from the Orioles tour in Japan after the 1971 season. Does anyone speak Japanese? I assume a couple of these are programs, based upon the inside, but not sure. One looks like it was published by a newspaper previewing the tour and the last two are like magazines. Some of them picture Brooks on the front.

Programs/Scorecards
Newspaper Preview
Japanese Magazines
These are some nice items. I’ve only seen the program/scorecard that you have in your collection so they must be very limited. I’d love to pick them up if I can ever locate examples.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:17 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
I think the term "White Whale" gets thrown around the hobby a little too freely these days however I recently picked up something that's as close as a "White Whale" I'll ever see.

For well over 20 years, I've been looking for a ticket from May 6, 1984 in which Cal Ripken Jr. became only the 2nd Oriole in history to hit for the cycle (Brooksie was the other). The game was played on a Sunday afternoon in Arlington in front of only 13,224 fans.

I finally was able to pick this ticket up (a full ticket no less) from an eBay seller in France (of all places), who worded the auction awkwardly (thus avoiding attention):

Bill,

SO COOL!! Think we’re ready to see more Ripken items!
Old 01-18-2020, 02:05 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Once more thing about the poster; that's the same image used for the 1967 Topps Brooks poster. Also, it's the same image Topps used for the 1968 Frank Robinson All Star #373. Any others?
Old 01-18-2020, 02:43 PM

Brooks poster image on the 68 Topps game card too.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:27 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks and Merv

Posted for Clint (ksfarmboy) The following are 1971 or 1972 snapshot like photos of Merv Rettenmund and Brooks Robinson.

1971 1972 Snapshot photo.jpg
1971 1972 Snapshot photo 1.jpg
Old 01-19-2020, 03:32 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 19 (January 19, 2020 – 019)

Some of the pieces that I’ve acquired over the years I have no idea why I picked them up, but I did. This piece looks pretty good displayed with the rest of the cluttered junk I picked up…

Russian Nesting Doll by Ceprueb Nocag (White)

Day 19 Nesting Dolls 1.jpg
Day 19 Nesting Dolls 2.jpg
Old 01-19-2020, 04:34 AM
M@rk Comer

Default 1992 Upper Deck All Star Fanfest

Couple of relatively modern cards to keep things fun...

1992 Upper Deck All-Star Fanfest

1992 UD All Star Fanfest.jpg
Old 01-19-2020, 07:34 AM
Bill H@e1ig

It was seven years ago today that while driving down to Orioles Fan Fest I heard on the radio that Earl Weaver had passed away....

Here is a game used warm up top of his from his comeback season of 1985 (cigarette pack pocket is sewn inside).

Old 01-19-2020, 12:55 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
It was seven years ago today that while driving down to Orioles Fan Fest I heard on the radio that Earl Weaver had passed away....
Here is a game used warm up top of his from his comeback season of 1985 (cigarette pack pocket is sewn inside).
Sad that we’re seeing guys from the glory days pass away. Really like the Weaver top along with photo of Earl (wearing it) and Billy.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:04 PM
Alan Strout

Default Orioles Scrapbook Cards

Here are some neat items, that could valuable or not, but it's the kind of stuff I like to collect.

These are the 1960-1963 scrapbook cards printed in the Baltimore News Post daily during spring training. There could be other years, but I've never seen any before 1960 or after 1963. They are similar to the Dayton Daily News cards.

More info and checklists are available at the following links.

1960 Brooks Robinson

http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2015/02...ook-cards.html

1960 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook #10 (Robinson, Brooks).jpg

1961 Brooks Robinson

http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2015/02...ook-cards.html

1961 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook (Robinson, Brooks).jpg

1962 and 1963 Brooks Robinsons

http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2015/02...scrapbook.html

1962 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook (Robinson, Brooks).jpg 1963 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook (Robinson, Brooks).jpg
Old 01-19-2020, 06:47 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Here are some neat items, that could valuable or not, but it's the kind of stuff I like to collect.

These are the 1960-1963 scrapbook cards printed in the Baltimore News Post daily during spring training. There could be other years, but I've never seen any before 1960 or after 1963. They are similar to the Dayton Daily News cards.

1960 Brooks Robinson
1961 Brooks Robinson
1962 and 1963 Brooks Robinson
Alan,

I'm with you; those are the type of odd-ball stuff I like to collect as well. I don't think I have all the Brooks examples, but I do try to pick up other examples of Orioles as well on these newspaper cutouts. I'll have to dig them out at some point and see what I'm missing. I know there's one year I don't think I have any at all...

Great stuff. Thanks so much for the information you provided on these Baltimore newspaper cutouts.