NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-10-2022, 01:36 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Default Ebay Authentication - It Gets Personal

A few weeks back, I bought a nice raw '49 Bowman Spahn from Greg Morris. So far, so good. Today I received an email from Greg saying the card was rejected by PSA as non-authentic with no reason given. I despise PSA and don't ever want them anywhere near my cards. What I don't know is the next step? Presumably, the card is returned to Greg who will examine it and then determine what the problem is, if any, which I doubt since they are excellent graders and see if I still want the card or a refund of my $537 purchase price. Has anybody had a similar experience? Greg did offer a $20 credit off my next purchase. Whoopee!

This Ebay program is an abomination.
Old 11-10-2022, 01:47 PM
Br1an N0Iff

I thought Greg put “set break” in his listings and bypassed the eBay authentication program? Surprised by this…..
Old 11-10-2022, 01:48 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
A few weeks back, I bought a nice raw '49 Bowman Spahn from Greg Morris. So far, so good. Today I received an email from Greg saying the card was rejected by PSA as non-authentic with no reason given. I despise PSA and don't ever want them anywhere near my cards. What I don't know is the next step? Presumably, the card is returned to Greg who will examine it and then determine what the problem is, if any, which I doubt since they are excellent graders and see if I still want the card or a refund of my $537 purchase price. Has anybody had a similar experience? Greg did offer a $20 credit off my next purchase. Whoopee!

CSG looks at the raw cards bro.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2022, 02:05 PM
Jeremy W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
CSG looks at the raw cards bro.

PSA only looks at the graded cards. CSG is in charge of the raw cards.
Old 11-10-2022, 02:34 PM
J@mes In.gram

Yet another story in support of why I don't have or want graded cards. I don't care for someone else's opinion of my cards. I don't care for the plastic slabs. And I don't give a hoot about how much more valuable they are, they aren't for sale.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 11-10-2022, 01:49 PM

Perhaps you can contact him outside of Ebay, he does have a website, and request if they determine that everything is fine with the card, you can complete the transaction outside of Ebay.

Brian
Old 11-10-2022, 02:36 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Quote:

Did CSG actually say it wasnt authentic or did they have another issue? Like if the card was listed as mint and its not for example.
Old 11-10-2022, 02:55 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

If it's the one I think, that's a really nice card.

I have a feeling it's because he listed as NR-MINT and they are looking at it with CSG modern grading eyes. It does have some corner wear (slight!) and because it wasn't 91' Stadium Club NR MINT (because no one sends 49' Bowman to CSG) they dinged it. He probably shouldn't have used NR Mint alone in the designation.

Not defending the action, just guessing the cause.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 11-10-2022, 03:05 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

All I know is I bought the card raw from Greg off their Ebay platform. Then it went through the authenticity drill and today I received an Email saying that PSA had rejected it for authenticity with nothing more than Greg apologizing and offering a $10 credit on my next purchase There was no mention of CSG and besides I wanted the card raw, not graded. Nor was there any mention of 'what happens next'. I have already emailed back to Greg asking for instructions.
I feel helpless here and somewhat victimized by this clusterf*%^k of an Ebay program I didn't want in the first place.
Now I have neither the card nor my $500+ purchase price.
Old 11-10-2022, 03:26 PM
Jeremy W.

Quote:
All I know is I bought the card raw from Greg off their Ebay platform. Then it went through the authenticity drill and today I received an Email saying that PSA had rejected it for authenticity with nothing more than Greg apologizing and offering a $10 credit on my next purchase There was no mention of CSG and besides I wanted the card raw, not graded. Nor was there any mention of 'what happens next'. I have already emailed back to Greg asking for instructions.
I feel helpless here and somewhat victimized by this clusterf*%^k of an Ebay program I didn't want in the first place.
You should be able to contact Greg & work out a better solution.
Old 11-10-2022, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
You should be able to contact Greg & work out a better solution.
+1

I rarely buy on ebay, but I do check it fairly regularly. If one of the bigger shops or a seller I have dealt with privately has a card listed that I like, I just deal with them off the ebay platform; you can usually get a better deal as well and not pay sales tax.

Anyway, Greg has a website and phone number. Just call and world something out, keep Ebay out of it
Old 11-10-2022, 07:18 PM
Luke Lyon

I've noticed Greg Morris putting NR-MT on some listings that would likely grade 4.5-5 if sent for grading and wondered if they have some exemption that allows this. If any other seller lists a raw VGEX-EX card as NR-MT, it isn't going to pass the ebay auth process.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
+1

I rarely buy on ebay, but I do check it fairly regularly. If one of the bigger shops or a seller I have dealt with privately has a card listed that I like, I just deal with them off the ebay platform; you can usually get a better deal as well and not pay sales tax.

Anyway, Greg has a website and phone number. Just call and world something out, keep Ebay out of it
Most of Greg's listings, or many anyhow, are auctions. No option to deal with him off site.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-10-2022, 03:43 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
I am not sure how CSG spotting an issue with what you and GMC thought was an authentic card makes you a victim. And I don't know why they would tell you PSA looked at it, maybe GMC sends a form letter and you got the wrong one. But I am sure you will get your $500 back from GMC, I am surprised you haven't already.
Old 11-10-2022, 04:06 PM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default Spahn

I've done business with Greg for a long time...whatever is happening; he will make it right.

I'm assuming there is a strict process in place via EBay>CSG/PSA>back to seller>refund to buyer. Lots of parties involved but the authentication is there to protect the buyer. Probably just needs a little time to cycle through.
311-407 PSA 6
Old 11-10-2022, 04:14 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Looks like this is the card, using the sold listings?

If so, I understand for rejecting, because it is not NR-MT as the title claims. Bottom right corner especially.

If they rejected it for authenticity as OP is saying, then I have a lot of questions for CSG.

This is why I don't want the program. My eyes work and I know what I'm buying, please don't tell me I can't have what I want and buy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (81.9 KB, 971 views)
Old 11-11-2022, 06:22 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:

When a card fails Ebay Authentication, BOTH the seller and buyer receive emails from Ebay, then Ebay refunds the buyer immediately. The seller has no say when the refunds are sent. You should have received an email from Ebay at the same time that Greg did.

Last edited by Jim65; 11-11-2022 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-11-2022, 09:39 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Gentleman. the collective wisdom of the board has assisted in getting this mess sorted out. This morning I received an Email from Greg saying, referencing the Board's exchange on the matter(there you go), I have been refunded the full purchase price for my Spahn.
In my mind, 2 issues remain:
1. The work flows involved when a raw card is rejected for authenticity. I still don't know who deemed it unworthy of a nrmt grade. If Ebay really believes in this thing they must clarify exactly how it works.
2. I have normally had no problem with GM grading until this frustrating matter. If more of there cards are being rejected because of Greg's grading, then they have a real problem.
Thanks to all the board members who chimed in on this; it certainly spurred Greg into action. John
Old 11-11-2022, 09:41 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Gentleman. the collective wisdom of the board has assisted in getting this mess sorted out. This morning I received an Email from Greg saying, referencing the Board's exchange on the matter(there you go), I have been refunded the full purchase price for my Spahn.
1. The work flows involved when a raw card is rejected for authenticity. I still don't know who deemed it unworthy of a nrmt grade. If Ebay really believes in this thing they must clarify exactly how it works.
2. I have normally had no problem with GM grading until this frustrating matter. If more of there cards are being rejected because of Greg's grading, then they have a real problem.
Thanks to all the board members who chimed in on this; it certainly spurred Greg into action. John
The answer to #1 is CSG. They are the authenticator for the raw card program.
Old 11-11-2022, 09:47 AM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default GM Cards

Quote:
Out of curiosity; when did you get your refund? I thought it was supposed to be immediately once the card is kicked. Did you just get it today?
311-407 PSA 6
Old 11-11-2022, 09:52 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
A brace of general observations, based on my experience with the eBay authenticity program:

1) If an item is rejected, the refund process is automatic. The seller doesn't have to do anything, and you don't have to do anything as the buyer. It's always nice when the seller contacts you to chat about it, but in terms of getting your cash back, the seller has no control over that process. So there was really never any risk that you would be SOL. Either you get the goods or you get a refund, period, full stop. It might take a couple of days until it all gets sorted, but hopefully the seemingly interminable waiting doesn't constitute a terrible inconvenience.

2) In one case, I had the authenticator contact me to alert me to their findings, and ask me how I want to proceed. In that situation involving a slabbed item, the slab had come apart. The authenticator sent me pictures so that I could take a look and decide for myself. I had the option to proceed and accept the item, or I could choose to reject it for a full refund. That may have been a unique situation, but I'm more than a little intrigued that the authenticator didn't give you the option of proceeding in spite of their findings.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 11-11-2022, 11:23 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Just when I thought things were sorting themselves out after GM's email saying that a refund was issued 10/25, I checked my P/P account, from which I originally paid for the card, and there was no credit shown.

I just send a WTF to Greg asking where the supposed refund was sent. I fear this incident may have spoiled me from buying from GM in the future if any purchase may be rejected by some dickhead at CSG. And I don't know if they rejected it because of authenticity or CSG didn't agree with GM about the grade. Card buying is supposed to be fun, right?
Old 11-11-2022, 11:27 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Just when I thought things were sorting themselves out after GM's email saying that a refund was issued 10/25, I checked my P/P account, from which I originally paid for the card, and there was no credit shown.

I just send a WTF to Greg asking where the supposed refund was sent. I fear this incident may have spoiled me from buying from GM in the future if any purchase may be rejected by some dickhead at CSG. And I don't know if they rejected it because of authenticity or CSG didn't agree with GM about the grade. Card buying is supposed to be fun, right?
Why is the person at CSG a dickhead? Maybe they were correct in their assessment.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:29 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Card buying is supposed to be fun, right?
Absolutely!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (123.6 KB, 706 views)

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 11-11-2022, 12:38 PM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
Yoda — CSG is the one who authenticates the raw cards. PSA inspects that graded cards.

Here is a link that explains the process:

https://pages.ebay.com/authenticity-...-tradingcards/
Old 11-11-2022, 02:21 PM
Sonny Smith

The auction ended on October 16th, correct? If so, the card should have been in CSG's hands within a few days after payment and they would have made their "assessment" a couple weeks ago. Seems off that it's only going through the authentication process now.

And as others have said, if a card is rejected by the authentication program, refunds are automatic and implemented immediately at the time of rejection.

Does the tracking actually show that Greg Morris sent it? You would have gotten emails directly from eBay about the authentication process.

And as a seller, I am 100% in favor of the program for many reasons. As a buyer, I believe that you should have the option to opt out of the program, but if you do so, you lose any buyer protection - meaning no refunds for any reason and no support from eBay on the purchase.
Old 11-11-2022, 07:07 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyu2 View Post

As a buyer, I believe that you should have the option to opt out of the program, but if you do so, you lose any buyer protection - meaning no refunds for any reason and no support from eBay on the purchase.
That sounds reasonable, but I don't think there are good reasons for opting out, mostly it's just a lot of ranting, like Yoda is doing now.

And I suspect if the people that opted out did end up getting a bad card they would still squawk about it to everyone they could think of and blame ebay.

Old 11-11-2022, 03:40 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Something isn't right here. If the card was really rejected, EBay would have refunded your money. Greg saying he refunded is not how this works.

If EBay didn't refund you and you never received an email from Ebay saying the card failed, I'd question whether it really was sent to Authentication at all.
Old 11-11-2022, 03:50 PM
Mac Wubben

I also recently had a not-so-great experience with the program. It was as a seller though. I sold a card...just listed what the card was and said see scans for condition. Somehow ebay (CSG) decided I didn't accurately represent the card and they were sending it back to me??? The money never made it to me, so I didn't handle the refund.

Mac
Old 11-11-2022, 05:49 PM
Robert Klevens

I just won this raw card from Greg Morris.

Title was "1911 T205 Gold Border Set-Break Johnny Evers Sweet Caporal LOW GRADE (crease)"

I shouldn't have any problems with this going through CSG.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evers.jpg (152.3 KB, 456 views)
Old 11-11-2022, 07:01 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcmac View Post
I also recently had a not-so-great experience with the program. It was as a seller though. I sold a card...just listed what the card was and said see scans for condition. Somehow ebay (CSG) decided I didn't accurately represent the card and they were sending it back to me??? The money never made it to me, so I didn't handle the refund.

Mac
hmm.. A Grading company seeing all these raw cards - rejecting a percentage of them could(er ... better not , I’m still new here )

Last edited by Beercan collector; 11-11-2022 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-11-2022, 05:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Something isn't right here. If the card was really rejected, EBay would have refunded your money. Greg saying he refunded is not how this works.

If EBay didn't refund you and you never received an email from Ebay saying the card failed, I'd question whether it really was sent to Authentication at all.
I am not confident we have all the facts. John was already wrong about PSA rejecting it.

Old 11-11-2022, 06:01 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I am not confident we have all the facts. John was already wrong about PSA rejecting it.
The OP said Greg sent him an email saying PSA rejected it. If Greg said that, that casts even more doubt on him.

Im not accusing Greg of anything, Ive always received good service from him but there is definately something not right here.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:24 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Well, this should be fun. Looks like it's my turn...

I bought a raw Mantle on eBay and it got sent to CSG to authenticate it. I didn't notice it at the time, but the card in the listing showed the wrong back (the card I bought was a 1960 Topps, but the back image is actually of a 1966 Topps Mantle). It didn't register to me when I bid on the card because I only examine the images for creases, markings, and other flaws. Anyhow, the card gets sent off to CSG and they authenticated it. However, the card I received has a pen marking on the back that someone tried to erase.

The listing states "no returns" and eBay will not allow me to file a claim because the card was authenticated by CSG.
Old 11-18-2022, 06:28 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post

I bought a raw Mantle on eBay and it got sent to CSG to authenticate it. I didn't notice it at the time, but the card in the listing showed the wrong back (the card I bought was a 1960 Topps, but the back image is actually of a 1966 Topps Mantle). It didn't register to me when I bid on the card because I only examine the images for creases, markings, and other flaws. Anyhow, the card gets sent off to CSG and they authenticated it. However, the card I received has a pen marking on the back that someone tried to erase.

The listing states "no returns" and eBay will not allow me to file a claim because the card was authenticated by CSG.
You should contact EBay. The card should not have been authenticated.

1. The card you received is different than the one pictured in the auction, its a mistake but still a legitimate reason to return.
2.If the seller didn't mention the erasure, you have 2 grounds for refund.
Old 11-18-2022, 06:58 AM
Ben North

Quote:

LOL, that is hilarious. I am sure I have done similar. I just wouldn't tell everyone or try to return something that was 100% my own fault.
Old 11-18-2022, 11:28 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:

So you bid on the rare 1 of 1 "Future Backs" parallels and the seller sent you a common backed one?

That's not right.

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS