NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-14-2020, 08:17 AM
Giuseppe

Default 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle Rookie Card Help

Hello Net 54 Baseball Forum,

I have been a lurker and reader of the forum for a couple of months and finally decided to be apart of the Net 54 community, which I'm excited about.

I recently inherited a 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle #253 rookie card and wanted to get additional information on it. The card was given to my mother over 30 years ago from a close cousin. My mom held onto the card for many years until recently, she gave it to me. I don’t have any intention of selling, but I would like to eventually get it graded.

Right before I was going to send it off to get it graded, I began reading about real vs fakes and started to think twice on the authenticity of the card…. Maybe I’m overthinking it or have just become cross-eyed from examining and comparing details of 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle cards. I would like to get feedback on this card and to see what you guys and gals think of this card. I’ve tried to take detailed photos of the card for deeper examination.

EDITED: The last two photos on the right are a bit more sharpened and defined from the first two photos on the left. I have also added the photos on IMGUR https://imgur.com/a/pRuySKA

Please share your honest opinions of the card - Thank you all for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Detail MM3.jpg (20.3 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg Detail MM4.jpg (17.3 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 10.19.50 AM.jpg (20.5 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 10.20.18 AM.jpg (19.2 KB, 306 views)

Last edited by Diablo; 06-14-2020 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:22 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Images are too small; you need to post the photos on a different site (like Facebook or imgur) and then embed the URL links using the Insert Image icon above the text box (yellow sky w/mountains picture).

First glance: I don't like the border being a cream color instead of white. Rest of the card color looks inconsistent with the fading/toning of the borders. Centering is too good. Image is oversaturated. All that scuffing and no creases or back wear? Unlikely. I'm thinking fake at like 95%.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:28 AM
Giuseppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Images are too small; you need to post the photos on a different site (like Facebook or imgur) and then embed the URL links using the Insert Image icon above the text box (yellow sky w/mountains picture).

First glance: I don't like the border being a cream color instead of white. Rest of the card color looks inconsistent with the fading/toning of the borders. Centering is too good. Image is oversaturated. All that scuffing and no creases or back wear? Unlikely. I'm thinking fake at like 95%.
Thanks John, that's a bit heart breaking...lol Also, I've included the photos to IMGUR. https://imgur.com/a/pRuySKA
Old 06-14-2020, 09:26 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Well, I'll say I'm not an expert on this card. Here's a high res image of a known good card. You can easily see the border should match the color of the clouds.

Here's yours for comparison.

Buy a couple of commons from the set online and then compare them. Make sure the paper has the same feel, gloss, stock, smell, etc. Basically, be more sure before you pay a $100 or so to try to authenticate.

Last edited by swarmee; 06-14-2020 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:48 AM
Giuseppe

[QUOTE=swarmee;1990205]Well, I'll say I'm not an expert on this card. Here's a high res image of a known good card. You can easily see the border should match the color of the clouds.

I appreciate it John, thank you. And yes, I would like to get as much information as possible to see if it's worth dropping the $100+ gamble on having this car graded. Also, have you ever seen an 'orb' flaw on this card before (see red arrow in photo)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 10.19.50 AM.jpg (20.6 KB, 284 views)

Last edited by Diablo; 06-14-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:57 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Most people call those "print dots" or "fisheyes" or "hickeys". They do not usually repeat in the same location.
You can use this link to look at over 500 of them and to compare against.
https://www.psacard.com/auctionprice.../values/211818