NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-17-2022, 10:50 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
Just like the 33 Ruth and 52 Mantle aren’t true rookies but I wasn’t here to argue with Burdick about what was set as what. I mean the guy literally wrote the book so what’s up with the RC designations. It’s never been a secret but no one cares he played in 26’ unless it’s a collector like one of us.

Tell me that Ruth and Gehrig did not have bad blood. We all know that’s bs about Ruth. There’s a reason a man like Gehrig abstained from being associated with him. Great stat info about Ruth but he still played longer. If he was any better they would have played him sooner rather than keeping him a pitcher right? Just don’t think Ruth deserves the attention he gets. Neither do those fools you mentioned in the end of your post.
I don't think Burdick wrote the book on RC designations. Maybe you are thinking of Beckett? And regardless of who (mis)labeled it, we know better now. As for no one caring about 1926: an SGC 3 1926 Exhibit Ruth just sold for $12,600, so I guess someone cares.

Bad blood between Ruth and Gehrig is meaningless. Lots of co-workers don't like each other. So what? It happens. Doesn't make one better than the other.

As for the statistical argument, well, that just ignores the facts. Ruth was a HOF caliber lefty who happened to be so valuable that he set the template for playing both field and pitcher, then was too valuable playing every day to leave as a pitcher and part-time position player.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-17-2022 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:41 AM

A nice PSA 4 red Ruth ended last night with Probstein. While there has been a lot of lower grades 1-2s come up, you don’t see a lot of 4-5-6s coming up very much now especially nice ones like the example last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2022, 09:05 AM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by investinrookies View Post
A nice PSA 4 red Ruth ended last night with Probstein. While there has been a lot of lower grades 1-2s come up, you don’t see a lot of 4-5-6s coming up very much now especially nice ones like the example last night.

This particular PSA 4 was sold for the third time in a year, and went for a lot less than the first time with a suspicious-looking bid history.
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars
Old 02-18-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfriedm View Post
This particular PSA 4 was sold for the third time in a year, and went for a lot less than the first time with a suspicious-looking bid history.
maybe that's why it went for less than I was thinking it should of?
Old 02-18-2022, 11:30 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
While completely agree no Goudey Ruth card is "rare" by any stretch, there are 1376 PSA graded #144's an additional 584 graded by SGC and likey a bunch more raw ( I would argue it is likely the large majority of these have been graded by now.). Probably also need to reduce the #'s for resubmissions a bit as well. That leaves under 2K examples graded and another ?? 100, 200, 300 raw? If we round up to even say 2500.
The demand for this card is off the charts. It is the "poster child" for baseball card collecting! If you polled just the people attending the national and asked how many would like to one day own this card, I suspect it will quickly surpass 2500. Now add in all the collectors that aren't at the national - 2500 all of a sudden doesn't look like that many cards! The price appreciation that this card has seen goes to support the same conclusion - supply and demand at work - When demand is greater than supply it drives price up - as price rises, it draws more supply into the market place, until there is an equilibrium of a price at which supply=demand.
While the other Goudey Ruth's are in shorter supply, they are no where near as in demand as the #144.
Most collectors who want 1 Ruth card want the Goudey batting pose.
having graded a half dozen raw ones myself in the last year I think you greatly underestimate the raw population. I would guess it's still HIGHER than the graded population.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 02-18-2022, 12:03 PM
Matt

I used to have all four, but found myself really grabbing the #144 first to hold and enjoy, so sold the others and kept it. It does seem that all of them are harder to find in 4 and higher condition, and the image focus issues even plague the higher technical grades. In my collection I went with the 144 and the e121 to represent Ruth; one image pitching for Sox and one batting for Yanks; one black and white, the other color; one later in his career, one earlier. Seemed like a good duo and allows me not to fall down the expensive rabbit hole of any more cards of his LOL.

Last edited by MattyC; 02-18-2022 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-18-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
having graded a half dozen raw ones myself in the last year I think you greatly underestimate the raw population. I would guess it's still HIGHER than the graded population.
I also think there are still a large percentage of raw cards (maybe not more than graded, but probably at least something close).

There are also Ruth 1933 Goudeys that are likely never to be graded, like this particular iconic two piece batting pose.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goudey33ruthbabe 001 (337x400).jpg (68.1 KB, 337 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 02-18-2022 at 12:36 PM. Reason: ironically made this iconic image smaller
Old 02-18-2022, 12:36 PM
Matt

One thing to consider is that when a collector is shopping for a Goudey Ruth, if they have decided to buy a graded copy from say PSA or SGC, they are really only going to look at and consider examples from the slabbed population.

In other words, while there is an awareness of there being raw examples out there "in the wild," I doubt that factors into the mind of someone looking to purchase a graded copy. That buyer isn't saying, "Well, they usually go for 'X,' and this one looks better than average, yet I will only pay less than X because of the raw population out there." If one were to lower their paying price for graded examples because of potential future graded examples out there, the most likely outcome is that buyer fails to meet the market price and thus fails to reel one into his collection. As long as the newly graded copies enter market at a pace that can be consumed by the demand, the number of cards that are going from raw to graded are not likely to affect the price at all. And so that raw pop is rather moot in reality.

Last edited by MattyC; 02-18-2022 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-18-2022, 01:00 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I used to have all four, but found myself really grabbing the #144 first to hold and enjoy, so sold the others and kept it. It does seem that all of them are harder to find in 4 and higher condition, and the image focus issues even plague the higher technical grades. In my collection I went with the 144 and the e121 to represent Ruth; one image pitching for Sox and one batting for Yanks; one black and white, the other color; one later in his career, one earlier. Seemed like a good duo and allows me not to fall down the expensive rabbit hole of any more cards of his LOL.

Beauty Matt!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 02-18-2022, 01:28 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Wow, the "eye appeal" colors and image clarity are darned near incredible, Matt. That is one awesome card!

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 02-18-2022, 01:39 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
I also think there are still a large percentage of raw cards (maybe not more than graded, but probably at least something close).

There are also Ruth 1933 Goudeys that are likely never to be graded, like this particular iconic two piece batting pose.

Brian
I would like to christen that card the bikini Ruth.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 02-18-2022, 02:09 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I wonder how the 1933 WWG Canadian Goudey Ruth batting has compared in price of late with his American cousin.
Old 02-18-2022, 05:54 PM

Isn’t the WWG a 34 issue? Either way would much rather have the goudey

Old 02-18-2022, 05:58 PM

Quote:

Outstanding 4! As plentiful as the goudey Ruth’s are the ones like that in 4+ grades have all but dried up. Collectors realizing the value of these mid grade examples. Wonder if we see them begin to separate more from the lower grades?

Old 02-18-2022, 09:47 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Isn’t the WWG a 34 issue? Either way would much rather have the goudey

The 1933 WWG featuring Ruth batting has the same front as the #144 Goudey American. The WWG is often called the Canadian Goudey. The difference is in the reverse with most having his bio in French and English and a smaller number printed in just English, which are actually fairly rare.
I know simply because I have a nice specimen.
Old 02-19-2022, 04:54 AM
Ne@l K

I love the green

17414952.jpg

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 02-19-2022, 08:43 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
goudey ruths remind me of 52 mantles. Very plentiful and the demand is much greater. One of my faves....and my avatar...

beautiful!!!!!

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 02-19-2022 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-19-2022, 08:47 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Just because they are an idiot wouldn't stop me....
Old 02-19-2022, 10:14 AM
Jeff Willi@ms

Went after the set of them a few years back, think the Red is my favorite but they are all pretty sweet Base Ball Cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth 53 f30.jpg (77.6 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg ruth 144 f489.jpg (78.6 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg ruth 149 f85.jpg (77.8 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg ruth 181 f701.jpg (78.9 KB, 231 views)
Old 02-19-2022, 10:52 AM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206fanatic View Post
Went after the set of them a few years back, think the Red is my favorite but they are all pretty sweet Base Ball Cards.
Amazing group there.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206fanatic View Post

Nice set. The red is also my favorite as well. Also last check on the PSA pop report the red is nearly the same as the yellow but probably a bit off due to resubs and crossovers. It just calls out the fact that the yellow isn’t substantially lower than the others or the red. For the longest time collectors assumed the yellow was the rarest one, likely still is but the gap has significantly lowered.

Old 02-19-2022, 12:55 PM

Outstanding quartet !
Old 02-19-2022, 01:50 PM

I bought mine in 1981 when I was twelve. I saw it at the monthly card show, but I had already spent my money on other good stuff. I knew I wanted this card, and at the next show the dealer still had it, and I went for it. There were no graded cards then, and condition wasn't as important to me back then. Everything was raw. This card saw a lot of back pockets in its day before I got it, but it was the best I could do at twelve years old. Never thought of grading it till now(should I?). Best 50 bucks I ever spent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (43.6 KB, 196 views)
Old 03-11-2022, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Goudey Ruths remind me of 52 Mantles. Very plentiful and the demand is much greater. One of my faves....and my avatar...

Amazing Ruth. Regarding the goudey Ruth to 52T Mantle comparison, I checked pops today on the 149 goudey Ruth vs 52T mantle. The goudey 149 is over 700 lower, which in relation to the mantle it makes the goudey Ruth seem cheap.

Old 03-11-2022, 08:20 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Amazing Ruth. Regarding the goudey Ruth to 52T Mantle comparison, I checked pops today on the 149 goudey Ruth vs 52T mantle. The goudey 149 is over 700 lower, which in relation to the mantle it makes the goudey Ruth seem cheap.

Well, except there are 4 different Ruths in the set.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2022, 12:16 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Well, except there are 4 different Ruths in the set.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
And only two different Mantle's in the 52 Topps set.