NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-24-2022, 12:18 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Default Qver ten years since I did a show.

Yes, that's a long time. So I finally signed up for one. It's going to be at the Nashville Fair Grounds Convention Center. It's a one day show with 300 dealer tables. Should be interesting for me. In the area stop by. I'ts on March 12th. Frank
Old 02-24-2022, 12:57 PM
Robert D!ll!ngham

I'll be set up too. Should be fun. Jeff (show promoter) is going to do a three day Fairgrounds show this summer. I'll be interested to see how the Fairground venue goes - parking charge and admission charge might turn some away. But I'll have fun regardless. Between these twice/year big shows and the Music City show in Franklin in the fall, we've got some pretty decent shows in the area.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:52 PM
Mark

I'll be coming out to the show. I went to the Music City one last fall but was very disappointed at the total lack of vintage stuff there. I mean like NOTHING.

Hopefully this show will be better. I used to live up North and got spoiled with the Chicago shows.
Old 02-24-2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
Yes, that's a long time. So I finally signed up for one. It's going to be at the Nashville Fair Grounds Convention Center. It's a one day show with 300 dealer tables. Should be interesting for me. In the area stop by. I'ts on March 12th. Frank
What made you decide to get back into doing a show?
Old 02-24-2022, 10:29 PM
CleveB

Setting up at the Culture Collision Show in Atlanta this weekend (400+ Tables of Comics & Cards for three days). This thread caught my attention because the last time I bought a table was at the Tuff Stuff Show in Richmond, VA - that aught to date it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2022, 12:07 AM
Jason Wells

Its a travesty Richmond doesn't have a show anymore. It's ATC land for sure.
Old 02-25-2022, 05:50 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrewUpWithJunkWax View Post
What made you decide to get back into doing a show?
Getting old, just turned 77. Time to let go of most of my cards and memo. Will see how it goes. If I enjoy it, I will do more. If not, it's auction house time. Frank
Old 02-25-2022, 06:13 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I have a pretty good background in shows having helped Marco promote the CSA Shows for years. I have toyed with the idea of promoting aa 100+ table show in Richmond. I had planned getting back into the promotion business when I sold my advertising company in 2019, but between Covid and my independent consulting being much busier than I had anticipated, it hasn't happened.
Old 02-25-2022, 06:44 AM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I have a pretty good background in shows having helped Marco promote the CSA Shows for years. I have toyed with the idea of promoting a 100+ table show in Richmond. I had planned getting back into the promotion business when I sold my advertising company in 2019, but between Covid and my independent consulting being much busier than I had anticipated, it hasn't happened.
Would love to see that. There's basically nothing but a few smaller shows between Chantilly and Raleigh.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 02-25-2022, 07:27 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
I have a pretty good background in shows having helped Marco promote the CSA Shows for years. I have toyed with the idea of promoting aa 100+ table show in Richmond. I had planned getting back into the promotion business when I sold my advertising company in 2019, but between Covid and my independent consulting being much busier than I had anticipated, it hasn't happened.
Ditto, sorta. We (not the royal "we"; me and two other guys) promoted three local shows several years ago and I've thought about reviving it given the huge surge of interest in collecting, but the COVID thing and the heightened security concerns with all the money this market brings have dissuaded me so far. With the rash of robberies in many places, card shows are sitting ducks. I'd want to hire off-duty police officers to have armed security in place and it would just about double the costs of the show. In the past we wanted two things for sure: free admission and table fees under $100 a table. I am not sure we could keep table fees at anything like that level with the need for enhanced security and liability insurance.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-25-2022, 08:36 AM
Jason Wells

Quote:
That would be lovely!
Old 02-25-2022, 08:49 AM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Getting old, just turned 77. Time to let go of most of my cards and memo. Will see how it goes. If I enjoy it, I will do more. If not, it's auction house time. Frank
Right there with ya, Frank. I am only 61 (lol) but health issues had me asking my oldest son to help me set up. It's Dean's Dugout (Naperville, IL), 3/12 for me! Small venue (15 tables) but Dean has two stalls in a strip mall scene, with adjoining door between the two. I am rambling on this for purpose:
During an average week, Dean hosts Game Nights for the neighborhood kids; Magic, Vanguard, Pokemon, etc. in the other stall; his card shop in the primary stall. My favorite part of Dean's card shows is when parents/grandparents bring the kid(s) to the show. I love coming up with bits to introduce the kids to the real love of cards. Sometimes I pull out a T206 common from the sleeve; hand it to the kid and ask him/her how it feels to hold a 110 yr-old baseball card. If there eyes widen, I congratulate them and let them know that they are the 793rd person to touch that card. "Your great grandfather got it from a pack of cigarettes; given to him by his dad, and so on and so on". One time, I gave away an Eloy Jimenez Bowman Chrome RC (we're in the Chicago market; I am a Cubs fan), to each kid who noticed that I had a Torgey Torgeson football card, right smack in the middle of old baseball cards in my case! What's up with that?
Just fun stuff to engage the younger generations in something other than the woeful slab.

And since every good post needs a pic, here was Dean's show recently.

Ben
"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."

Last edited by benge610; 02-25-2022 at 09:13 AM. Reason: clarified RC part
Old 02-25-2022, 04:50 PM

People's stories are interesting.

I've only been to a few shows, and usually don't have much time to spend when I do, so kind of just speed through. When I see some fun/unusual cards, always try to compliment them, and sometimes leads to a good conversation.
Old 02-25-2022, 08:22 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Might want to check the price stickers on your cards from 10 years ago. Some may have changed.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 02-26-2022, 07:10 AM

Long ways from those Ernie White shows of the 80s/90s . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Old 02-26-2022, 09:30 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Might want to check the price stickers on your cards from 10 years ago. Some may have changed.
LOL. Now that's funny.
Old 02-26-2022, 10:15 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

From being dead in the ashes 20 years ago, shows have risen Phoenix-like all over the country in the past 2 years...despite Covid.
Old 02-26-2022, 12:12 PM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
From being dead in the ashes 20 years ago, shows have risen Phoenix-like all over the country in the past 2 years...despite Covid.
Yes John,
I feel encouraged for a return to the old days; even if it has new twists.
Even if big $$ companies/types, IRS and eBay have changed the landscape for us, we still have the resolve to fly and collect with passion; under the radar, ....
maybe the way it is supposed to be.

Ben

"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."
Old 02-26-2022, 04:42 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

128. Syntaxperation
Being driven absolutely bonkers with frustration whenever you see a blatantly obvious misspelled word in a thread title...and it never gets corrected by the OP, even though it’s been there for days, weeks, months or forever!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-27-2022, 07:00 PM
Donny Muth

I plan to attend and see what I can find in the way of T206s and hits to my 50s and 60s sets or maybe a HOFer or three. Only 2 weeks more to wait!

Old 02-28-2022, 02:59 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post

128. Syntaxperation
Being driven absolutely bonkers with frustration whenever you see a blatantly obvious misspelled word in a thread title...and it never gets corrected by the OP, even though it’s been there for days, weeks, months or forever!!!
I have to assume it’s some kind of signal to the conspiracy folks.
Old 02-28-2022, 03:12 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It would be great if someone in the tin-foil hat brigade could finally tell me what "Qver" is supposed to mean!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 02-28-2022 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-01-2022, 04:11 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Just talked to the promoter and he has just 6 tables left. Should be a great show.
Old 03-09-2022, 08:28 PM
Frank Wakefield

It's gonna be a cold morning, Saturday. I'm thinking of driving to Nashville for the show Saturday morning.

So, Frank A, how do I find you and your table???

Frank W
Old 03-11-2022, 08:10 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
It's gonna be a cold morning, Saturday. I'm thinking of driving to Nashville for the show Saturday morning.

So, Frank A, how do I find you and your table???

Frank W
The farthest back corner from the entrance. I'm way out there. Frank
Old 03-11-2022, 09:47 AM
Robert D!ll!ngham

Double post, sorry.

Last edited by rsdill2; 03-11-2022 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:47 AM
Robert D!ll!ngham

Looking forward to the show tomorrow, love to meet some Net54ers and talk cards. Middle aisle, towards the end, blue circle.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:19 PM
Frank Wakefield

Sincerely, thank you guys for the location info.

At this moment, 10:18pm on the night before the show, the roads in southern Ky are a mess... I may well stay home, safe and warm inside, rather than slide around in the snow on the way to Nashville.