NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Default Spalding Base Ball Sign

Anyone with this Spalding glass Base Ball Sign on ebay?? I was the underbidder the seller wouldn't allow winner to pick up in person. I hope if someone won it from the board it arrives in one piece! I can imagine how fragile it must be.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130634929847...84.m1436.l2649
Old 01-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Matt

Do you think it was real? I was a little skeptical of the piece.

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 01-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Dan Bretta

The first thing I'd do is have the paint tested for lead. No lead..no real.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

The biggest problem I had with the entire deal was the seller wouldn't allow the buyer to pick up in person. That was a red flag. Now on such a fragile piece wouldn't it be easier on the seller to not have to ship?? In addition to not having to deal with an insurance claim when it gets broken from the UPS man throwing it down on the porch? Now I can understand not wanting to meet a buyer at your house but why not a public place such as a gas station or any public place. That in a way makes me leary of the piece because if one saw it in person maybe you could tell it was no good. I don't know
Old 01-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Doesn't it appear that the S in Spalding starts much lower on the piece of glass and where the g ends? I guess that doesn't make it a fake but does appear a bit "sloppy"
Old 01-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
The biggest problem I had with the entire deal was the seller wouldn't allow the buyer to pick up in person. That was a red flag. Now on such a fragile piece wouldn't it be easier on the seller to not have to ship?? In addition to not having to deal with an insurance claim when it gets broken from the UPS man throwing it down on the porch? Now I can understand not wanting to meet a buyer at your house but why not a public place such as a gas station or any public place. That in a way makes me leary of the piece because if one saw it in person maybe you could tell it was no good. I don't know
I agree, but man... you just never know. I have had some of my best buys EVER on ebay when taking a chance(no one else did). There are a lot of quirky people out there. If it is real, it sure is a cool piece. $500 is an expensive lotto ticket though...

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 01-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Dan Bretta

An easy test for lead is probably the best way to tell if this is a fake. I think you can buy lead testing kits for about $10 at a hardware store.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

If the buyer is on the board I would love to know the results of a lead test. Yeah it will make a neat piece if it arrives in a single piece.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:26 AM
Scott

Ive seen similar Painted signs for tickets and stuff on ebay. I'd be extremely leery of this being original also.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:48 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Paypal may be the reason for this. The seller loses all "seller protection" if the item is not shipped and does not have verifiable record of delivery. For instance, the buyer could pay via Paypal, pick it up, and then file a complaint that "he didn't get it." With no record of delivery, the seller is screwed.

However, if the buyer was paying cash on the spot, that would be a different story...
Old 01-30-2012, 09:35 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Overall the type layout on the sign doesn't look right to me. I recreate advertising graphics for movies and television shows and spend many hours trying to get things like this to look as accurate to the time period as possible. The Spalding in the center looks well done but the other copy especially the "E. 17th" looks poorly executed especially the spacing in between the letters of "SPORTING GOODS" and BASE BALLS". And thinking about it, why would someone have the street name on their window instead of the building number? Something isn't right. I would have had to have rock-solid photographic evidence that this was a real sign before I bid on it, otherwise I'm putting it down to someone who salvaged a bunch of old transom windows and went to town with the model paint in the basement.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:14 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Aside from authenticity concerns... isn't it kind of ugly? I don't see much that's attractive about this one. Looks just like poorly executed junk to me.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Aside from authenticity concerns... isn't it kind of ugly? I don't see much that's attractive about this one. Looks just like poorly executed junk to me.
Mark -
Good post!
We do share the same opinions when it comes to - honesty and quality.
Jerry
Old 02-01-2012, 04:22 PM

Default thumbs down

Quote:
Anyone with this Spalding glass Base Ball Sign on ebay?? I was the underbidder the seller wouldn't allow winner to pick up in person. I hope if someone won it from the board it arrives in one piece! I can imagine how fragile it must be.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130634929847...84.m1436.l2649
Michael, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it...I think you should breath a sigh of relief you were outbid...That sign looks desperate to me from the get go...The words BASE in one corner and BALL in the other seem really over the top with the intent to appear archaic. SPORTING and GOODS is even more laughable. And the E. 17th without a street number defies logic on multiple levels. That is, did the sign intend to direct people to a Spalding store on E. 17th without the street number? Or was the window installed at a Spalding store on E. 17th and the designer wanted to let people know what street they were on? The only thing that adds up about that sign is 20 bids equal $510.00...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 02-01-2012 at 04:23 PM.