NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-08-2022, 10:03 AM
Ton.y Be.ll

Default REA is open! Sept 2022

Just opened for bids

Collecting:
1909-1911 T206 Southern Leaguers (Alabama)
1914 Cracker Jack Set (91 out of 145)
Old 09-08-2022, 10:10 AM
Drew W@i$e

Check out the description for the 52 Mantle:

Graded VG+ 3.5 by PSA. Attractive example of the 1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle. One of the hobby's classic cards, Mantle's Topps rookie card is the key to the 1952 set, one of the most famous of all cards, and the single most popular and valuable postwar baseball card. Recently, an SGC MINT+ 9.5 example sold at public auction for $12.6 million dollars, a record for any sports item, card, or memorabilia. This card exhibits bright colors, a crisp image, centering slightly toward the top, and honest corner wear. Boldly printed reverse. Minor surface wear factors into the assigned grade. This is a beautiful mid-grade example with strong visual appeal! This card presents an outstanding opportunity to acquire a suburb example of Mickey Mantle's most celebrated card in an extremely desirable condition, yet very possibly at a fraction of the cost of a higher-grade example.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:39 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post

Graded VG+ 3.5 by PSA. Attractive example of the 1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle. One of the hobby's classic cards, Mantle's Topps rookie card is the key to the 1952 set, one of the most famous of all cards, and the single most popular and valuable postwar baseball card. Recently, an SGC MINT+ 9.5 example sold at public auction for $12.6 million dollars, a record for any sports item, card, or memorabilia. This card exhibits bright colors, a crisp image, centering slightly toward the top, and honest corner wear. Boldly printed reverse. Minor surface wear factors into the assigned grade. This is a beautiful mid-grade example with strong visual appeal! This card presents an outstanding opportunity to acquire a suburb example of Mickey Mantle's most celebrated card in an extremely desirable condition, yet very possibly at a fraction of the cost of a higher-grade example.
Where does mid-grade start? PSA 3?

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 09-08-2022, 10:54 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidnapped18 View Post
Just opened for bids
Why you gotta out the auction I'm trying to stealth bid on?

Jk. haha
Old 09-08-2022, 11:01 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
Why you gotta out the auction I'm trying to stealth bid on?

Jk. haha

Don't worry.

I will not be a bidder on this one.

I prefer to acquire a city example. They are the style that are worth more.

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS

Last edited by timzcardz; 09-08-2022 at 11:01 AM. Reason: grammar correctin
Old 09-08-2022, 12:01 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:

Is this your card?
Old 09-08-2022, 12:14 PM
Jay Cee

Bidding early was refreshing since everything opened up at 10.00. Reminded me of auctions back in the 90s. Got my shot gun bids in and will check back in on the final day.
Old 09-08-2022, 12:28 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Is this your card?
It is not, I was just intrigued by that description.
Old 09-08-2022, 12:59 PM
Dave Carson

I was the winning bidder on the Mantle for - oh about 30 seconds I guess. Came back from lunch and the lowest graded one was at $29k.

Put in a few bids on the first page. Need to dig deeper over the next few days. I am much more likely to win something that has four digits in the lot number

Good luck to all.
Old 09-08-2022, 01:21 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Bidding early was refreshing since everything opened up at 10.00. Reminded me of auctions back in the 90s. Got my shot gun bids in and will check back in on the final day.
That's really the way to do it. Good luck!
Old 09-08-2022, 01:24 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

I wish you could Watchlist items from the main page instead of having to go into each one.
Old 09-08-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
I wish you could Watchlist items from the main page instead of having to go into each one.

I suspect showing your consigners more page views is worth something to REA, but it sure would be handy.
Old 09-08-2022, 01:44 PM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

I tried to login but it said my password had expired and put me into a loop saying that a new password link would be sent to my email...which it hasn't yet after multiple attempts. Checked SPAM folder as well.

Oh well...hopefully they can get that fixed before too long. I need to bid on that mid-grade 52T Mantle.
Old 09-08-2022, 02:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
Don't worry.

Well, there are two variations, maybe that explains it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-08-2022, 03:08 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
Don't worry.

Well, you've got 4 more options on this card over at the PWCC September premier auction, where the preview just showed up today, including this beauty: https://youtu.be/SiZLhcasigY?list=TL...0DcwODA5MjAyMg

Disclosure: None of them are mine. And, for that matter, I have never owned a 52T Mantle. Not that I don't aspire to greatness someday, but not today.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 09-08-2022, 05:32 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Same here. The bigger question for next weekend is, do you start bidding right away in OT, or wait until after the website crashes?
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry

Last edited by BobbyStrawberry; 09-08-2022 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:38 PM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
The bigger question for next weekend is, do you start bidding right away in OT, or wait until after the website crashes?

Seems to be the norm on the last couple REA auctions in OT.
Old 09-09-2022, 06:16 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Well, you've got 4 more options on this card over at the PWCC September premier auction, where the preview just showed up today, including this beauty: https://youtu.be/SiZLhcasigY?list=TL...0DcwODA5MjAyMg

Disclosure: None of them are mine. And, for that matter, I have never owned a 52T Mantle. Not that I don't aspire to greatness someday, but not today.
Own the rarity! You can buy a signed one at memory lane. Pop of just 14. It IS mine! Well centered. Well loved and deep blue hue

https://memorylaneinc.com/site/bids/...e?itemid=71679

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 09-10-2022 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-09-2022, 06:25 AM

I see prices have cooled off
Even the starting bids seem higher than normal.
Old 09-09-2022, 06:18 PM
P.aul Orl,in

Been looking for a Tom Brady card, I sure hope they have one in the auction.
Old 09-11-2022, 11:53 AM
Scott

If you’re interested in some rare cards, go to the title/description bar and type in the word “Negro” to pull up Cuban/Latin American/Negro League cards.

REA updated its original listings after the auction first went live, so not everyone had the opportunity to see these cards posted on the website.
Old 09-11-2022, 03:35 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Nice to see the 54 Wilson Franks Williams start to get recognized for the incredible card that it is, you just don't find them in high grade.

Not my consignment.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 09-11-2022, 03:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

The supply of good cards is relentless. It seems every week there are two or three new significant auctions. Is there just endless demand that will absorb it all at strong prices? Personally, I have auction fatigue just from looking at them all.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-11-2022 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2022, 03:46 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I wish REA was still special.
Old 09-11-2022, 03:51 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Personally, I have auction fatigue just from looking at them all.
Same here - I've actually forgotten about a couple of them recently (and missed out on things I had bid on) which I never did before.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 09-11-2022, 03:52 PM
Scott

Why isn’t it?
Old 09-11-2022, 03:53 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The supply of good cards is relentless. It seems every week there are two or three new significant auctions. Is there just endless demand that will absorb it all at strong prices? Personally, I have auction fatigue just from looking at them all.
How many people do you think came back into the hobby during the pandemic?

I suspect it's a lot.

And if I had to guess, most of them are probably 40-60 years old, with plenty of disposable income to blow on luxuries like collectibles.

Plus they might have the psychological benefit of being used to the current prices, so it's not shocking to their senses like it is to those of us spoiled by the much lower prices pre-pandemic.

I would guess that's a big engine behind the current market. That and to some extent, I suspect that fewer items are actually coming onto the market compared to before, simply because we're all holding that much more tightly onto our existing collections, and looking to grow them rather than shrink them.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 09-11-2022, 03:59 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scocs View Post
Why isn’t it?
I think these encore auctions are often a little smaller, and don’t include as many really high-end pieces. So they’re not quite as amazing as the main REA auctions that they seem to have about 3 times per year.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 09-11-2022, 04:06 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
I think these encore auctions are often a little smaller, and don’t include as many really high-end pieces. So they’re not quite as amazing as the main REA auctions that they seem to have about 3 times per year.
I love the encore auctions, little gems in every one of them. Love the fact there's so much inventory available it's sensory overload. Th trick is to stay focused on your collection.

Still haven't seen any Red Cross backs available in the last couple of years though...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 09-11-2022, 06:06 PM

I believe REA had only a spring auction each year and receiving the catalog in the mail was the greatest day on earth !!! beer chug.gif
Old 09-12-2022, 08:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

"How did you spend your day?"

I watched outbid notices come in, in my emails...