NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-30-2012, 12:09 PM
Pup6913

Default T205 Doc White No Quotes not correct

After receiving another one in the mail I noticed some faint quote marks on the right side of Doc. I pulled the others I have and noticed all of them have the same similar marks. So the Doc White PB was printed with quotes on the plate but somehow just like my HLC backed Latham's it was scrubbed out or set to far in to hit the card correctly. So the PB White is just an error card and didn't have the typeset removed as believed. Looks as though it is printers error and shouldn't be labeled as "No Quotes Var." Maybe a better suiting is "Quotes around Doc error". Either way this should not affect the value to much since it is still an error card and has become very scarce on the market. The price is not to far ahead of the normal Doc White cards but it still carries a small premium and will surely expand once the TPG's label the card as a set variation.

Would like to see scans and hear some feedback from my T205 guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doc white backs scan.jpg (47.9 KB, 346 views)
Old 07-30-2012, 02:17 PM
Marc

Andrew,
I have three of these and have looked at them with a loupe. I see nothing on mine that suggest that the quotes were printed, even faintly. On one of them, there is a bit of staining in the area, so I can't say conclusively on that one, but I also have a SGC 30 and SGC 50 that are very clear and show no signs of the marks.

To assume that this was just a "print error", you would have to say that there was only one printing of this card, as it would be extremely unlikely that the same "error" would have been made on multiple, independent print runs. It would seem very strange to have one separate print run with only the "error" Polar Bear back and then several other runs with the other backs, in which all of the typesetting would have been replaced to show the quote marks. This would be especially difficult to accept as this is not a short printed card, such as the Wilhelm variation, for example, for which a much lower number of cards were printed overall.

I do agree that regardless of whether it is considered a true variation, print error, or none of the above, the market has dictated that there is a modest premium for it and it does seem to be a scarce card to run across over the past couple of years. I don't expect that this will ever have more than a small premium attached, but the fact that it is different than the others, for whatever reason, I think will always give it a bit of added interest and value.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

What Marc said...

Mine has no faint trace...nice clean back with no quotes.

Joshua
Old 07-31-2012, 03:38 AM
Pup6913

So this means I am lucky enough to get 3 that have remnants of the quotes on the right side. I will be bringing them to nationals so if anyone wants to verify in person and compare examples I'm game. Very neat stuff to find on these cards.

Last edited by Pup6913; 07-31-2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:04 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Andrew,

I wasn't going to bring this up because I hadn't found another like it, but since you have the same thing, I will chime in. I have one PB White without the quotes around Doc, but my other PB definitely has a faint quote mark on the right side of Doc, but nothing on the left.

I would tend to lean somewhat with your theory that the typeset was initially there, but maybe to far in and made the partial strike early on, but later in the run didn't make contact with the card which resulted in the no quote.

r/

Frank
Old 07-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Pup6913

Frank I am glad to hear that. So looks like there is definitely a printers error and not just a no quotes print run

I think the same thing happened with the HLC backed Lathams. They were supposed to have the W.A but the W seems to have been inserted upside down and to far in. All the examples I have have a period or faint remnants of the W or M before it. Very neat finds imo