NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-12-2022, 07:04 AM

Default Brockelman September 2022 Auction Closes Tonight!

The Brockelman September 2022 Auction is in its final day of bidding, the auction will close to initial bids at 10:00 pm CST/11:00 pm EST

Nearly 600 lots of Sports and Non-sports cards and memorabilia from the 1860’s to 2000’s, literally something for everyone.

Highlights include:

*Partial and Complete Topps, Bowman and Philadelphia Baseball and Football Sets

*Old Judge Baseball and Boxing

*Assorted Type Cards from 1880’s to 1950’s including many scarce ones, Holmes to Homes, Ware’s, Globe Stores, Zeenuts with Coupons, Colgan’s Red Border and many, many more!

*A nice selection of E-cards from several different issues

*T206’s raw and graded

*M113 and M114 offered as singles and groups with Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio and many other HOFers

*T209 Contentnea Color #1 PSA Registry Set sold as singles

*1964-66 Rawlings Premiums PSA Graded with both Mantle’s

*Dozens of 1950’s-1970’s group lots for the dealer or set builder

*Nearly one hundred of Lots of Non-sports from the 1880’s to 1980’s including several complete sets

As usual each and every lot is offered at no reserve! Most lots start with very low “token” openers which have no indication of the true retail value. Let the highest bidder win!

Take a look and enjoy.

For those not registered, there is still time, it is quick and easy on the home page and Net54 may be used as a reference.

Scott

Brockelman Auctions

817-688-9499

www.brockelmanauctions.com
info@brockelmanauctions.com

Last edited by sb1; 09-24-2022 at 05:12 AM.
Old 09-12-2022, 07:45 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Scott, lot #36 in your auction is far more interesting than it appears at first glance. The "1900 Win Mercer New York Giants Periodical Cut-Out."

Win Mercer was a very interesting person and apparently was a fan favorite among the ladies due to his good looks and "piercing eyes" so much so that when he was with Washington he was purposely pitched on Ladies Night so the gates would increase.

Famously in 1897 when Win Mercer was ejected from one of these games by Umpire Bill Carpenter there was a riot of women that stormed the field and according to one account..."an army of angry females poured out of the stands. They surrounded Carpenter, shoved him to the ground and ripped his clothing. Finally, police brought the situation under control."

Anyways, he went on to play for the Tigers and he was appointed to be their player/manager for upcoming 1903 season. During a West Coast barnstorming tour Mercer abruptly committed suicide on January 12, 1903 which was widely reported in the newspapers...breaking the hearts of many of his devoted lady fans.

The information around his suicide was sketchy, he died by apparently inhaled illuminating gas in a San Francisco hotel room. There were reports that he had been drinking heavily and gambling even heavier and may have used funds that were not his own and saw no way of making it right, another report had to do with his relationship with a woman, another stated he left a suicide note decrying the vices of women and gambling

The new York Times stated the following....

"[Win Mercer] registered at the Occidental Hotel last evening. He was found asphyxiated in his room to-day. Mercer registered under the name George Murray and gave his residence as Philadelphia. The watchman of the hotel in making his rounds detected the odor of gas coming from Mercer's room and broke down the door. Mercer was on the bed with his coat and waistcoat covering his head; and a tube ran from the gas jet into his mouth. Among the papers found in the room was one which read: 'Tell Mr. Van Horn of the Langham Hotel that Winnie Mercer has taken his life.' Mercer was a sufferer of pulmonary troubles, and as the disease refused to yield to treatment he became despondent. He left a statement of his financial accounts, showing that he owed no money. He was twenty-eight years old...."

Back to the item in the auction. Many years ago I stumbled upon the only known (at least to me as I have never seen or heard of another) example of a small supplement that measures 6" x 8-1/2" from the Evening News Review (dated January 24, 1902 but that date is obviously wrong and should have been dated 1903) that was a memorial to him after his suicide.

Your copy appears to be the inner portion (should measure a little under 4' x a little over 5") that was trimmed from the supplement... perhaps by one of his many lady admirers?

Anyways, thought it was interesting to see another example of the piece and figured it a good time to share mine, I have never shown this before.

-Rhett
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220912_0113.jpg (128.8 KB, 1029 views)

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 09-12-2022 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:29 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That's great. Thanks for sharing, Rhett.

Nice auction Scott.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:48 PM
David McDonald

Super auction, Scott. Good diversity. Am having fun checking it out.
Old 09-13-2022, 12:07 AM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Looks amazing, I have to point out the auction search feature is broken on my phone. Tried my old phone as well to make sure it wasn't a localized issue and it didn't work on it either.
Clicking it does nothing

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 09-13-2022 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:31 AM

Thanks Rhett! I would never have known or found this info.

Lucas..will have them check out the phone search issue.

Scott
Old 09-13-2022, 08:13 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Always great auctions Scott.

And if anyone is considering consigning to Scott . . . .go for it. Very easy to work with. No seller's fee and lower buyer's premium = more money in your pocket at the end of the day.
Old 09-13-2022, 09:02 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Thanks Rhett! I would never have known or found this info.

Lucas..will have them check out the phone search issue.

Scott
No problem, not sure If that item will appeal to more people with that info or not but it is always fun to geek out about the really obscure stuff

Old 09-13-2022, 09:28 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Honestly, those sorts of stories are what makes this a cool hobby and appealing to so many of us. Loved reading it.
Old 09-13-2022, 09:33 AM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

Love the story. I think that the background stories to players that are not baseball related can be very interesting.

Nice Auction, Scott!
Old 09-13-2022, 11:14 AM
Rhett Yeakley

I just looked up where The Evening News Review newspaper was published and it appears it was in East Liverpool Ohio which is directly across the river from where Mercer was born (Chester, West Virginia). So it was apparently a supplement to honor their local hero.

Old 09-13-2022, 04:06 PM
Jay Cee

Thanks for posting Rhett and never knew all that. I will add this to the thread with my Carl Horner cabinet of Mercer. Sorry for the blurry picture, as I had to blow it up from a larger picture of cabinets I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D007CE59-C86D-44F5-B968-FC4AA8D3D98C.jpg (148.7 KB, 791 views)
Old 09-13-2022, 05:57 PM

Awesome story and yes, it will make at least one of us pay more attention to this item!
Old 09-14-2022, 11:25 AM

I counted over 75 different PreWW2 issues represented in the listings, which is pretty impressive for the size of the auction...not just T206 and Goudey cards, but certainly plenty of those as well. Definitely an auction for the collector in mind, and especially suited for type collectors out there.

Best of luck as always Scott!

Brian
Old 09-16-2022, 04:36 PM
John Carroll

Great auction Scott- you always have a great variety of items for all budgets- I also recommend consigning with Scott -great to work with and with zero seller fees and a low 15% buyer premium I always find great items!
Old 09-21-2022, 12:48 PM

Due to circumstances completely within my control, there will be no Brockelman Auction contest from me this time...sorry, just not able to make it happen. Not a legitimate excuse for ya'awls to not check out the auction, as there are plenty of Prewar goodies available as always. I will make up for it next auction.

Until then, brianp(arker)-beme
Old 09-24-2022, 05:13 AM

Default Auction ends tonight!

Bump to let everyone know the auction ends tonight Saturday 9-24-2022.

Good luck to all of the bidders.

A few highlights below.

Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img001.jpg (72.0 KB, 407 views)
File Type: jpg img208.jpg (181.6 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg img146.jpg (195.4 KB, 412 views)
File Type: jpg item_25891_2_53278.jpg (193.9 KB, 418 views)
File Type: jpg img128.jpg (56.0 KB, 402 views)

Last edited by sb1; 09-24-2022 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:42 AM
Jeffrey Pittman

Thanks to all who publicized the Brockelman auction yesterday. I was not familiar with the auction prior to the posts. I won multiple items and enjoyed the event. Thank you to Scott for a fine auction

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2022, 08:40 AM
Derek Granger

No wonder the Dahlen stamp received so much spirited bidding yesterday! Just popped on here and saw this post (and the pic a few posts above). Didn’t think it would garner that much attention.

Anyway, I’m happy to report that the Dahlen stamp found its way into the right hands…mine! Well, after I’ve paid and Mr. Brockelman has shipped. I foresee no issues with either. Happy to be down to 7 for set “completion”.

Scott, thanks for a great auction, yet again.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 09-25-2022 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:14 AM
qualitycards

Always a fun auction & I always end up w/ something
Last night I won 8 lots from Baseball to non-sports to memorabilia
Old 09-25-2022, 09:19 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

2 lots for me

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-25-2022, 09:30 AM

Thanks for all of the nice words. At this time I am having an issue emailing the winners invoices out. Invoices will be available later today or first thing monday morning.

As with any auction there were some unopened lots. All of them are available at this time at the opening bid plus applicable b.p. and shipping. If you were already a winner, no additional shipping will be required.

These are available on a first come, first serve basis over the next few days.

Please email me at info@brockelmanauctions.com to speak up for any of those lots. Unfortunately I cannot separate them out by list, so you will have to scroll thru the auction.

Scott

Last edited by sb1; 09-25-2022 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:37 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Great auction Scott, thank you. A lot of unique cards, wanted 6, won 4, and happy with the results.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 09-25-2022, 10:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Thanks for all of the nice words. At this time I am having an issue emailing the winners invoices out. Invoices will be available later today or first thing monday morning.

As with any auction there were some unopened lots. All of them are available at this time at the opening bid plus applicable b.p. and shipping. If you were already a winner, no additional shipping will be required.

These are available on a first come, first serve basis over the next few days.

Please email me at info@brockelmanauctions.com to speak up for any of those lots. Unfortunately I cannot separate them out by list, so you will have to scroll thru the auction.

Scott
Just do a sort by least number of bids, seems to work. Nice auction.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:03 AM

Duh, never thought of that.

If you do that you can see all of the zero bid lots.

Thanks Leon..
Old 09-25-2022, 04:33 PM

I believe we have gotten the email system to fully function again and all invoices have been sent. Some winners may have gotten duplicate winner notices. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Several winnings are already paid, packed and labeled and will be dropped off at the post office tomorrow.

Scott
Old 09-26-2022, 07:18 AM
lu.c@s

Thank you to Scott for a great auction. This was my first time participating in an auction house auction, and I won one lot, was outbid on a number of others, learned about the T209-1 set, and generally feel like a real auction guy now.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:14 PM
Dave Carson

I won 2 of the 7 lots I bid on. Only came close on one of the 5 I lost.

But I e-mailed Scott and scooped up 3 of the no bid lots. They were items I missed the first time through or didn't have interest in case I hit on all my bids.

Always an enjoyable auction.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:14 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDave View Post
I won 2 of the 7 lots I bid on. Only came close on one of the 5 I lost.

But I e-mailed Scott and scooped up 3 of the no bid lots. They were items I missed the first time through or didn't have interest in case I hit on all my bids.

Always an enjoyable auction.
Scott's auctions are like one of the comfortable neighborhood restaurants where you know the cook is great and every meal is simple and enjoyable every time. Never a hassle and don't need to put up with a lot of nonsense you get in other places.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 09-27-2022 at 02:22 PM.