NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-11-2016, 02:53 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
It really saddens me to see how many people think the guy that ripped the card should get a refund.
This is 100% on the seller. It doesn't matter if it ripped in Pete's hands. If you purchase something of value you have to be able to assume that if you open it in a reasonable manner you won't damage it. Ripping an envelope is a reasonable way to open an envelope. As a matter of fact, unless new envelopes are also transformers, it is the only way. If the card is in a toploader or cs1 it's fine, if it's between cardboard it would have been fine. Pete ripped an envelope, because envelopes have three purposes:

1) Put something in envelope.
2) Close envelope.
3) Open envelope.

They way I have been taught the steps is:

1) Insert item or document with hands.
2) Sealed with adhesive (primarily with hands.)
3) Opened with hands or sharp object.

I'm sorry it saddens you that this is the only way I've been taught to interact with envelopes.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:24 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
This is 100% on the seller. It doesn't matter if it ripped in Pete's hands. If you purchase something of value you have to be able to assume that if you open it in a reasonable manner you won't damage it. Ripping an envelope is a reasonable way to open an envelope. As a matter of fact, unless new envelopes are also transformers, it is the only way. If the card is in a toploader or cs1 it's fine, if it's between cardboard it would have been fine. Pete ripped an envelope, because envelopes have three purposes:

1) Put something in envelope.
2) Close envelope.
3) Open envelope.

They way I have been taught the steps is:

1) Insert item or document with hands.
2) Sealed with adhesive (primarily with hands.)
3) Opened with hands or sharp object.

I'm sorry it saddens you that this is the only way I've been taught to interact with envelopes.

I usually have some inkling that there might be a card within regardless of the packaging.

So if the card was packed in a block of ice, I might choose to let the ice melt, rather than use an ice pick or sledge hammer.

If the card was distributed in boxes of cereal, I might choose to pour the cereal out of box until I could see and easily remove the card, rather than dive into the box with my grimy paw to search and destroy.

Or if the card was contained in one of those molded hard plastic packages that are difficult to open by any technique, I might choose not to open it at all.

And if I received 100 envelopes that day and knew there was a card in only one, I would look at the return addresses to determine which envelopes could safely opened by the "grip it and rip it" methodology, if that was the only way I had been taught to interact with an envelope.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:47 PM
Al Richter

Default ebay

Everyone seems to agree the method of shipping was completely unreasonable. Most, but not all, think the seller is responsible for the damage that occurred after the item arrived. The question I raised earlier is assuming the seller tells ebay the item arrived undamaged but that it was damaged in opening the package because the method of packing was unreasonable, what is ebay likely to do in that situation ? I guess we will find out.

I have personally come closer to damaging cards I received because they were entombed in tape and bubble wrap to protect them Patience in opening is a true virtue.

I have to say Frank, I have not yet experienced the block of ice shipping method
Old 06-12-2016, 05:47 PM
Steve Birmingham

It can be debated whose fault it is.

What I can say is that had it been insured the USPS wouldn't pay out because it was packed poorly. I've seen this firsthand with a damaged phonograph that wasn't packed with enough packing material. Oddly the USPS people themselves recommended adding packing material to the package before bringing it in for inspection. "Make sure there's enough packing material in the box or we won't cover it" They did cover repairs done by someone in the business based on a quote. The reduced amount probably made it easier.

Funny story.
A friend used to sell needles for the old Victrolas. One day he gets home to find a message on the machine from the FBI. One of the buyers forgot he'd bought them and called the police about the "suspicious package" he'd just received. What was pretty cool was that by the time he'd come home the package had been "neutralized " and the agents were only wondering if they were correct in thinking the contents were Victrola needles. A quick explanation and the number of the Ebay listing cleared it all up. The guy left positive feedback and never asked for replacements for the ones that got blown up.

Steve B
Old 06-12-2016, 06:52 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
It can be debated whose fault it is.

What I can say is that had it been insured the USPS wouldn't pay out because it was packed poorly....
No, USPS wouldn't pay out because it was delivered safely and they don't consider it their responsibility to stand by and assist the recipient in opening his envelope.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:13 PM
Ron Rice

Default Ebay

Ebay and PayPal tend to support the buyer. I agree that Pete deserves a full refund and I expect he will get it from Ebay or PayPal. It amazes me how sellers can be so careless in their packaging. Careless packaging is clearly the sellers fault, IMO.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:23 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
No, USPS wouldn't pay out because it was delivered safely and they don't consider it their responsibility to stand by and assist the recipient in opening his envelope.
The item I saw firsthand was also delivered "safely" - No apparent damage to the box on delivery. The damage was entirely due to poor packing.

A card simply placed in an envelope with nothing else is poorly packed, and proper packing is the shippers responsibility.

Steve B
Old 06-13-2016, 11:08 AM
Mark Medlin

I feel badly for the op and I agree that the seller failed. But I also believe the op failed to exercise caution and the liability should be shared by each. Neither party is 100% liable or 100% clear. Maybe the best outcome would be a 50/50 deal. Just my .02.

Mark Medlin
Old 06-13-2016, 02:39 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
The item I saw firsthand was also delivered "safely" - No apparent damage to the box on delivery. The damage was entirely due to poor packing.

A card simply placed in an envelope with nothing else is poorly packed, and proper packing is the shippers responsibility.

Steve B
Totally different situation. You're right, your item was damaged in transit. You didn't contribute to the damage (let alone cause it) because the damage occurred before it was in your possession.

The OP damaged his own card after it had been successfully shipped and delivered without damage. The seller didn't damage it, neither did the carrier. It arrived safely.

Here's a question: Suppose the OP brought the envelope with the card in it over to a coffee table and before opening it, spilled something liquid on it. Would he claim that to be the fault/responsibility of the seller, too, since had it been packaged better, it wouldn't have sustained damage?