NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-21-2009, 11:22 PM

Default Let's Talk (and Show) Baseball Game Cards...Fan Craze, Tom Barker, Polo Grounds, etc.

So share your opinions on these oft-overlooked cards. Love 'em? Hate 'em? Collect 'em? Do you have a favorite among these?

Are they undervalued in your mind? My opinion is that they are. And my recent observations of a few sales (especially Ebay) show me this is continuing. A few real nice high-grade examples sold on Ebay recently for well below VCP's recorded 2009 prices.

I managed to scoop a couple from the Polo Grounds set: a Smokey Joe Wood in PSA 9 and the wonderful "Matty" card in PSA 8. I got each of these for about 60% of what those cards sold for earlier this year.

And I was watching as a Tom Barker Shoeless Joe in SGC 80 (=6) just went for $870.00 (prior sales were way over $1000 in this grade).

Anyways, I was interested in hearing what others think (and seeing some from your collections).

Here are the 2 Polo Grounds I got:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Polo Grounds Joe Wood.jpg (51.4 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg Polo Grounds Matty.jpg (55.9 KB, 314 views)
Old 12-21-2009, 11:29 PM
James Gallo

I think the low prices are because of the time of year more then anything else. I have been seeing stuff sell for pennies on the dollar, there just doesn't seem to be the money or the crazy for collectibles this holiday season. I think the deals retail stores are offering are getting more people in and grab their cash in place of cards and collectibles.

To answer your question. I do think they are under valued, however a lot of people just don't like them especially the smaller pictures on the Polo Grounds set. I had a tough time getting rid of the set I had and I had a very sharp Wagner, Cobb, Matty etc.

For whatever reason people look at these as secondary cards, much like strip cards.

I don't think you will ever see a huge change in that either. Fan Craze has a shot because it is so early and the larger pictures on the Tom Barker/National Game help that set as well.

Regardless there are key cards in all the sets, but they will always be thought of as outside the main stream collecting IMO.

James G
Old 12-22-2009, 12:17 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Fan Craze set has the nicest portraits, but the Walter Mails set is the toughest of the 20th Century bunch by a long shot. There are many cards in the set that I have personally never seen for sale individually but only in set form.

A few of my favorites...

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 12-22-2009, 12:29 AM
Rhett Yeakley

A few more...

Old 12-22-2009, 12:57 AM

Thanks for sharing those, Rhett! You sure don't see many (or any) of those around.

(That Bagby card is pretty scary, though...)

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 12-22-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGallo View Post
...a lot of people just don't like them especially the smaller pictures on the Polo Grounds set.
I have no doubt that is true - and I have heard it before...yet, the T204s don't seem to suffer for having small b&w photos. I haven't measured, but I bet the Polo Grounds card images are at least as big (not to mention the beautiful historic ballfield image on the reverse).

I do agree that of the 1900-1915 game cards, I think Fan Craze has the greatest prospects for broad collector acceptance. I think one factor there is the instantly recognizable Carl Horner portraits.

...Which raises another question...would people prefer to buy a game card featuring a famous player image, or would they rather buy one to get a unique image not found on other cards (this is often cited in favour of National Game/Tom Barker/Polo Grounds)?

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 12-22-2009 at 02:01 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:13 AM

I think its a great way to pick up some HOF player type cards at the fraction of the cost of E or T cards...

I got a PSA 6 Cy Young National Game card for $60.00, H Wagner Polo Grounds and Tom Barker Nap Lajoie that both graded Nr Mt cost less than $300 between the two so I can't complain.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:22 AM
Tim

I personally like game cards and pick them up when I get the chance for my type collection. I agree they are undervalued but don't know if we'll see much of a change in that respect in the future.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Dan Paradis

Default Love the Game Cards!!!

I love the game cards, especially the Fan Craze. As a HOF RC collector it gives me the opportunity to get a "almost" RC without spending E107 $$. The Fan Craze have great portrait photo's!!

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fan craze.jpg (74.9 KB, 274 views)
Old 12-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Banned

I'm a fan:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41natlgamefront.jpg (24.7 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg 43lajoiegamebluefront.jpg (31.0 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg 45lajoiegameredfront.jpg (28.6 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg 47pologroundsfront.jpg (24.5 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg lajoiefancravefront.jpg (60.3 KB, 269 views)
Old 12-22-2009, 07:52 AM

Default Gamey thoughts

The Game cards are a great way to pick up some favorite players on the cheaper side. Like Rhett mentioned, the Walter Mails are definitely the toughest of the bunch. As far as aesthetics, the Fan Craze can't be beat for large size b/w portrait shots of the players (and not just amongst other game cards...that includes all the contemporary 'regular' issues as well). But my favorite is probably the Tom Barker/National game cards, because of their many full/partial body 'action' shots. Probably my least favorite is the Polo Ground, because of their awkward small photo but larger size card design.

Brian
Old 12-22-2009, 08:12 AM
pete ullman

Default not my bag...

I personally have never really cared for these playing cards and I do not own any of them at this time. I can certainly appreciate the value and the unique poses BUT I don't see myself buying any in the foreseeable future.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:21 AM
Joe M.

These are the only game cards that I own. My interest is Cobb, not game cards.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baseballall256.jpg (53.7 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg baseballall257.jpg (59.0 KB, 214 views)
Old 12-22-2009, 08:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default toughest game set?

Unfortunately the Walter Mails set, though I love it, isn't close to the toughest 20th century game set. The Alleghenys would be, by definition, since only 1 full set is known. I too like the game cards more than most and think it's a great way to pick up fairly inexpensive HOF poses that would be an arm and a leg, in other series. Here are a few game cards....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pwg2x2.jpg (78.0 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg pwg5jackson.jpg (21.9 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg pwg6.jpg (76.1 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg pwg6fenwayalemaster.jpg (76.6 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg pwg7x2b.jpg (76.9 KB, 212 views)

Last edited by Leon; 12-22-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:43 AM

Leon,

At 1-of-1's the Allegheny would definitely be most rare, but how was the game actually played. It states baseball card game on the back of each, but the cards do not have any of the typical game card captions (i.e. Walk, Strike Out, Single).

Do you know how the actual game was to be played?

Mike

Last edited by docpatlv; 12-22-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default full box

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpatlv View Post
Leon,

At 1-of-1's the Allegheny would most definitely be most rare, but how was the game actually played. It states baseball card game on the back of each, but the cards do not have any of the typical game card captions (i.e. Walk, Strike Out, Single).

Do you know how the actual game was to be played?

Mike
Mike- In one of my old auction catalogs I have where the full set of Alleghenys was sold. It came with the box too. It would take quite a while to go find it and I am not sure if the rules were with it, but I would guess they were. Other than that I don't know any specifics on how it was played. Here are a few more scans and cards too.....As for 19th century game cards, no doubt the Alpha Engraving cards are the rarest, imo.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pwgunc1894alphaengraving.jpg (77.2 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg pwgunclawsongame2.jpg (68.8 KB, 201 views)
Old 12-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Leon, obviously you are correct in regards to the Allegheny set being the toughest 20th Century game set as there is one set known. With my statement above I was thinking along the lines of the ones being in the ACC... WG2 and on up (Fan Craze, Tom Barker, National Game, Walter Mails, S&S, Polo Grounds, etc.). I have also always wondered how one actually "played" the Allegheny cards, that would be interesting--but the WG1's had to have been a complex game as there is a lot going on on the front of those cards and I don't know we have ever found any instructions for it.
-Rhett

Old 12-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default sort of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Leon, obviously you are correct in regards to the Allegheny set being the toughest 20th Century game set as there is one set known. With my statement above I was thinking along the lines of the ones being in the ACC... WG2 and on up (Fan Craze, Tom Barker, National Game, Walter Mails, S&S, Polo Grounds, etc.). I have also always wondered how one actually "played" the Allegheny cards, that would be interesting--but the WG1's had to have been a complex game as there is a lot going on on the front of those cards and I don't know we have ever found any instructions for it.
-Rhett
Hey Rhett
I think we are on the same page however (don't ya' hate the "howevers"?) Burdick didn't list "WG" as game cards. Bert Sugar did that in the Sports Collectors Bible. That is where all of our "WG"s designations came from. Burdick classified them as playing cards "PL" and I don't believe he even mentioned any of the sets, specifically, that we are talking about. I like the game cards!!
Old 12-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Bruce Babcock

Default E.R. Williams + Lawson's

Old 12-22-2009, 11:12 AM

Rhett - those are very cool.

Leon - that WaJo is awesome as is the Bonner.

Here is my only game card.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Ken Wirt

Some games, with a couple of modern ones (sorry):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9. Connie Mack.jpg (78.0 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg 8. Nap Lajoie.jpg (77.4 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg 170. Al Kaline.jpg (80.2 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg 204. Carl Yastrzemski.jpg (80.2 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg 75. Joe DiMaggio.jpg (81.0 KB, 165 views)
Old 12-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Thanks Leon, I hadn't realized it was Sugar who had attached the Catalog designations to the WG cards.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Barry Arnold

Default WG

I have really enjoyed the Game Cards as part of my 'type' collecting.
after reading the great little article on billy owen i bought the Fan Craze card.
i also have the FanCraze of Theilman and Ritchey. i have the Polo Grounds of
Smokey Joe Wood, the national game of Evers and Chance, and the
Tom Barker's of Milan,Rucker,Meyers,Hoblitzel,O'Toole.

I particularly like my Polo Grounds Game with instructions,baseball diamond
at the base of the box,moving pieces,and score card with names of
buster and brewster in quite a competition.
I also have the beautiful forest green Fan Craze box which contained all the cards of the National League with Ritchey affixed to the bottom(outside).

great fun.
best,
barry
Old 12-22-2009, 01:06 PM

Love then National Game and Tom Barker cards. I think the Joe Jax is his best image on a card. The Fan Craze portraits are great as well--Wagner is classic and they also include some 19th Century HOFers not easily found.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:28 PM
P*ter Me@d

Default National Game reprints?

Great thread. I also enjoy early game cards from the perspective of a type collector. I like the ground level view of playing the outfield at the Polo Grounds from the common reverse on that set of game cards.

A quick question--is there an easy way to determine reprints from the National Game set? I think one of the first threads I read on this board a few years ago convinced me that my National Game Johnson was an early reprint. I believe the discussion was about how rounded the corners were?
Old 12-22-2009, 01:38 PM

Peter M.

I believe the reprints have corners which are significantly more rounded than the originals. It would probably be easier to tell when held side by side.

Mike
Old 12-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default the way I tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoot-owl View Post
Great thread. I also enjoy early game cards from the perspective of a type collector. I like the ground level view of playing the outfield at the Polo Grounds from the common reverse on that set of game cards.

A quick question--is there an easy way to determine reprints from the National Game set? I think one of the first threads I read on this board a few years ago convinced me that my National Game Johnson was an early reprint. I believe the discussion was about how rounded the corners were?
I generally tell the fakes by the "grainy" brownish look they have. I remember 2 Nationals ago a dealer had a reprint in his case for sale, as an original of course. I was 100% sure it was a reprint and told him so. He didn't believe me and continued trying to sell it as original. Oh well, you can lead a horse to water but.......
Old 12-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Johnny S

Default 1904 Fan Craze is my oldest Bender and card !

Very important issue to me right now because the 1904 Fan Craze is the oldest Bender in my collection and also the oldest baseball card I have ever owned. It's really cool to think kids and baseball fans used to play games with these !

Old 12-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Richard Cline

Great thread, here are a few of my game cards.
RC

Old 12-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Jeff

Default Game Cards

Last edited by HRBAKER; 12-22-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Let's Talk (and Show) Baseball Game Cards...Fan Craze, Tom Barker, Polo Grounds,

Generic, but a pretty tough type.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyy View Post
I got a PSA 6 Cy Young National Game card for $60.00, H Wagner Polo Grounds and Tom Barker Nap Lajoie that both graded Nr Mt cost less than $300 between the two so I can't complain.
To me, this is amazing value - all 3 of those cards for under $360!!!

I defer to you, sir, as the king of bargain-hunters .

Cheers,
Blair
Old 12-22-2009, 06:16 PM

Thanks to everyone for showing your game cards, and please keep 'em coming - I'm learning a lot!

Cheers,
Blair
Old 12-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

1914 Polo Grounds Game

1913 National Game WG5

1913 Tom Barker Game

1913 Tom Barker Game

1914 Polo Grounds Game WG4

1906 Fan Craze Game NL WG3

1906 Fan Craze WG3

1906 Fan Craze Game NL WG3
Old 12-23-2009, 09:47 AM

Default Billy... errr Willie

Someday I'll get this crossed over to SGC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1904FanCrazeKeelerWillie.jpg (54.2 KB, 105 views)
Old 12-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Doug Goodman

I don't have any, but boy those Fan Craze cards are nice looking.

Doug
Old 12-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Val Kehl

I'm not into game cards, except as needed for my W. Johnson, S. Rice, and type card (preferably, Washington players) collections. I really like the Rice card because it is signed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WG1&ERW-Front.JPG (47.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg WG1&ERW-Back.JPG (76.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg WMails-Front.JPG (55.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg WMails-Back.jpg (68.8 KB, 84 views)
Old 12-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Mike

I collect Detroit's from Brouthers to Kaline.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wg1 detroits.jpg (77.6 KB, 64 views)
Old 12-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Mike

Calvindog : What scanner are you using ? Also what settings ? Your cards are crystal clear ? I must be doing something wrong with my settings. Thanks Mike
Old 12-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Banned

Lol. My money is on that Jeff's paying someone to scan his stuff.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Well, I wouldn't say that I'm paying someone to scan my stuff. But I am paying him.

Mike I have a Canon 8800F scanner and not a single clue as to how to use it. I overpay my secretary and secretly the reason I do so is that he is such a kickass scanner. I am hopeful that he does not read this board.