NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-07-2014, 09:34 AM
Robert Williams

Default General Pet Peeve

Forgive me if my vent is in the wrong spot. Enough with the absurd offers on cards. We have ALL been in the hobby for awhile. There is no stupid people here. We all know what cards are worth. The idea of stealing cards from a worthless widow who has no idea what her dead husband's collection is worth is not applicable here. Also, if you are going to quote prices, quote them for the card's applicable grader. Don't quote PSA prices for SGC cards and vice versa, just to have the pricing edge to your advantage. Like I said earlier, we are all professionals here. We have done this before....rant over.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:20 AM
K Farrell

Right on Bobby! But I must ask how you define a "worthless widow". I have known some widows to prove quite useful. Now a penniless widow would likely in time become worthless as compared to the much favored "rich widow".
Old 12-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Robert Williams

LOL!! I worded it poorly. I meant to say "poor", or someone lacking the proper knowledge to dispose of her dead husband's collection in order to maximize value!
Old 12-07-2014, 10:33 AM
Mike P.ap

Default values

Actually,

I just looked up these in SMR and an SGC or PSA graded authentic "Worthless Widow" is valued at $10 (the cost of grading basically) and the value of a graded "poor widow" is slightly higher at $20.

peace, mike
Old 12-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Forgive me if my vent is in the wrong spot. Enough with the absurd offers on cards. We have ALL been in the hobby for awhile. There is no stupid people here. We all know what cards are worth. The idea of stealing cards from a worthless widow who has no idea what her dead husband's collection is worth is not applicable here. Also, if you are going to quote prices, quote them for the card's applicable grader. Don't quote PSA prices for SGC cards and vice versa, just to have the pricing edge to your advantage. Like I said earlier, we are all professionals here. We have done this before....rant over.
There are a lot of folks here who aren't that knowledgeable or experienced, at least yet. You may be holding people to too high a standard. I get annoyed sometimes by lowball offers too, but whatever, just say no and move on.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-07-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Christ0pher C@ssidy

Reading this post I was sort of laughing to myself as I was thinking the same thing this morning.

Now, I don't mind someone making a lowball offer. Any time someone is willing to offer something, I'm generally OK with that. What I don't appreciate, however, is when they start quoting recent comps for (as the original poster indicated) cards graded by other companies, or (and especially in this case) cards with the same grade that have obviously far less eye-appeal. Within the same grade there is a wide spectrum of eye-appeal, and hence, a wide range of values.

So, from my perspective, if you wish to make an offer, feel free to do so. But please refrain from thinking you need to educate another board member concerning the value of their cards by quoting recent eBay auction results for bad comps.

Last edited by BlueDevil89; 12-07-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:33 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Classic Line: "There is no stupid people here."
Old 12-07-2014, 12:57 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Hahahaha
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:52 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
Hahahaha
Touche! I was mad when I wrote that. I don't think too clearly when I am mad. I do know proper language techniques. There ARE no stupid people in here! Now, who wants to offer $400 for an $800 card?? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 12-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Bry@n

$375

Last edited by Jobu; 12-07-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Robert Williams

SOLD! Send the money paypal gift.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Well, put. It just happened to me.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I dont sell to much, but low offers never bother me id just counter them or tell them no. As a real estate broker i negotiate deals every day, and you cant imagine some lowball offers i have received, lmao. Needless to say, None ever work out.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 12-07-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:22 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
Well, put. It just happened to me.
right the sgc cards being quoted psa prices getting old...
Old 12-07-2014, 03:35 PM

Lol.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:54 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
right the sgc cards being quoted psa prices getting old...
USUALLY PSA cards have the higher value...with the EXCEPTION of prewar, I have noticed. I mean COME ON PEOPLE!! If I am selling an SGC card, don't tell me what the PSA examples bring, when you KNOW the SGC examples go for more money!! Some common sense goes along way!
Old 12-07-2014, 06:40 PM
Mike P.ap

Default wow

Wow, you are on at least now an 8 hour journey ("rant"). You have some kind of stamina. Can I get the man another cup o' joe?

peace, mike

Last edited by vthobby; 12-07-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:55 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
Wow, you are on at least now an 8 hour journey ("rant"). You have some kind of stamina. Can I get the man another cup o' joe?

peace, mike
You want to know the irony Mike?? I don't drink coffee. I have never had a cup my entire life. Just having a little good clean fun. My name is posted, so I can say whatever I damn well please! :-p
Old 12-07-2014, 06:58 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
USUALLY PSA cards have the higher value...with the EXCEPTION of prewar, I have noticed. I mean COME ON PEOPLE!! If I am selling an SGC card, don't tell me what the PSA examples bring, when you KNOW the SGC examples go for more money!! Some common sense goes along way!
this is changing....it is my understanding that ages that collect psa prewar versus sgc are a lot higher....the future looks brighter for psa as the years go on...
Old 12-07-2014, 07:00 PM
Mike P.ap

Default coffee

Quote:
You want to know the irony Mike?? I don't drink coffee. I have never had a cup my entire life. Just having a little good clean fun. My name is posted, so I can say whatever I damn well please! :-p
I can't believe there is someone else that does not drink coffee?? Me either! I get hot chocolate at DD and folks at work think its coffee. EVERYONE at my work drinks coffee.

I was just having fun too,

peace, mike
Old 12-07-2014, 10:16 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

I also think the opposite might be true...don't overprice your cards and bump it seventy times wondering why no one is offering you what you want. Not saying that you do this (I generally think your prices are fine Bobby) but there are others here who do this often.

Joshua
Old 12-08-2014, 06:54 AM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
I also think the opposite might be true...don't overprice your cards and bump it seventy times wondering why no one is offering you what you want. Not saying that you do this (I generally think your prices are fine Bobby) but there are others here who do this often.

Joshua
+1

And please remember to some of us, the grading company is meaningless. I have a slight preference to PSA because they crack open a little easier with pliers.

thanks

Bob
Old 12-08-2014, 07:10 AM
Al Richter

Default Plastic tombs

Even easier with a bolt cutter. 5 seconds and done. Never damaged a card yet
Old 12-08-2014, 07:48 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
this is changing....it is my understanding that ages that collect psa prewar versus sgc are a lot higher....the future looks brighter for psa as the years go on...
Not until PSA treats every set fairly and stop only showing love to t206 collectors. It makes no sense that t207 and t205 still only get labeled with "Brown background" and "Gold Border" respectively and no mention of branding is listed. On t206 they even now list the subjects (140,350,460) and factory along with the brand.

I am not particular to one company over the other (I am not brand loyal any where in life) but they have to stop only appeasing one sector of the "collector universe" and make universal changes when applicable.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Not until PSA treats every set fairly and stop only showing love to t206 collectors. It makes no sense that t207 and t205 still only get labeled with "Brown background" and "Gold Border" respectively and no mention of branding is listed. On t206 they even now list the subjects (140,350,460) and factory along with the brand.

I am not particular to one company over the other (I am not brand loyal any where in life) but they have to stop only appeasing one sector of the "collector universe" and make universal changes when applicable.
+1

David Hall, President and Director of Collectors Universe, collects T206. It's not surprising there is an emphasis there. There are valuable cards in T205 and T207 that are much more valuable due to their cigarette brand on back, just like T206. Their back brands should be noted too. This card with a Recruit back, a few hundred to a thousand dollars generally. This card with this back; more than that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt207redcross.jpg (75.5 KB, 258 views)
Old 12-08-2014, 09:19 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
we're all professional what?
Old 12-08-2014, 05:24 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
we're all professional what?
lol.....card enthusiasts?
Old 12-08-2014, 06:05 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Hahaha....f%*@ing classic.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:28 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil89 View Post
But please refrain from thinking you need to educate another board member concerning the value of their cards by quoting recent eBay auction results for bad comps.
My response when I get one of these comp-quoting knuckleheads: "That's really interesting. Go buy the card from them."

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...