NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-18-2023, 09:20 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Mood at the National of Buyers, Sellers

Been a bunch of threads as to buying, selling, prices, etc. I thought this was a balanced good piece. Bottom line: there will be big crowds but a lot of question marks. The post mortem will be very interesting.

https://sportscollectorsdigest.com/n...a-sales-values

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-18-2023 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2023, 10:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think the hobby is doing fine. Everything gets cleaned in the wash. In other words, it all works out. Attendance at the show will be fine.

and a card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greiner.jpg (168.2 KB, 723 views)

Last edited by Leon; 07-18-2023 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-18-2023, 11:02 AM
Drew W@i$e

Great article.

Attendance will be up, prices will be up, but I am not sure how much selling of higher end cards will happen there.

What I expect most is collectors/dealers try to trade their way out of card obtained over the last 3 years. 2023 has definitely become the year of the trade.
Old 07-18-2023, 11:47 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Great article.

Attendance will be up, prices will be up, but I am not sure how much selling of higher end cards will happen there.

What I expect most is collectors/dealers try to trade their way out of card obtained over the last 3 years. 2023 has definitely become the year of the trade.
Yep, a lot of people trying get out of holes they stepped into at the top of the market.
Old 07-18-2023, 12:32 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Yep, a lot of people trying get out of holes they stepped into at the top of the market.
But others are in the year of the trade because they spent more then they planned over the last few years because so many cards not seen in years have come up as many took profits from buying years ago.
As a result of buying more than we thought we would we exceed our budget or exceed the amount we allocated and as a result are not as liquid to buy what we want now.
Also because the prices have gone up we cannot buy as much as we used to. So not under water on cards just over spent, over budgeted and Enjoying every minute of it

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-18-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I think the hobby is doing fine. Everything gets cleaned in the wash. In other words, it all works out. Attendance at the show will be fine.

Or cleaned again and rewashed until most cannot recognize it is the actual original (altered).

You may be right about the overall health of the hobby, but the hobby has changed enough to threaten what collecting was actually about before it became the lottery.
Old 07-18-2023, 03:46 PM
Johnny MaZilli

I'm not sure if many net54 members are on other FACEBOOK Sports Card Groups but the interest has been way down this year....not much in the way of talk or buying/selling going on.
Old 07-18-2023, 04:19 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I'm not sure if many net54 members are on other FACEBOOK Sports Card Groups but the interest has been way down this year....not much in the way of talk or buying/selling going on.
Uh oh. Is this for modern, vintage, or both?
Old 07-18-2023, 04:27 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Uh oh. Is this for modern, vintage, or both?
Vintage and Modern
Old 07-18-2023, 06:31 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't know that you can extrapolate from a particular social media site to the hobby as a whole. There are quite a few people who detest Facebook. twitter, etc., and don't participate. Auctions are still sizzling with very few passed lots. That's a better indicator of hobby health, I think.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I don't know that you can extrapolate from a particular social media site to the hobby as a whole. There are quite a few people who detest Facebook. twitter, etc., and don't participate. Auctions are still sizzling with very few passed lots. That's a better indicator of hobby health, I think.
Really special stuff kicking ass as usual. The sort of close to special stuff. . . not so much.
Old 07-18-2023, 07:22 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Vintage and Modern
I haven't found the interest in good stuff to be down in the least.
Old 07-18-2023, 07:35 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I haven't found the interest in good stuff to be down in the least.
Agree most of the stuff on Facebook is not the good stuff, it's meh average at best.
Old 07-18-2023, 07:44 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy8276 View Post
Or cleaned again and rewashed until most cannot recognize it is the actual original (altered).

You may be right about the overall health of the hobby, but the hobby has changed enough to threaten what collecting was actually about before it became the lottery.
Good point Murph (I always have to call Murphys Murph in honor of the great SF Giants trainer).

As a pre war collector the market constantly forces me to examine my choices on what I want my collection to look like, these decisions are now big financial decisions when they may not have been in the past, when spending 5k or 10k on a card I better be damn sure that card fits my collection. For me it's a 1200 piece jigsaw puzzle, I've bought pieces that don't fit but every piece that does will remain until I die and my kids can do what they want with it.

There's still a few of us that ascribe to the old school collecting philosophy, it ain't as easy as it used to be though.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-19-2023, 04:58 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Just a guess, but I assume our friends who run auction houses are getting no shortage of calls from consignors who were disappointed in what their items sold for. Human nature … remember the height of the market …. Not the fact that you bought for 2k and sold for 5k …. But the fact that at the height of Covid shutdown the same card sold for 17k.
Old 07-19-2023, 05:14 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I did a few sales...not much....the prices were nothing to write home about.
Old 07-19-2023, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Agree most of the stuff on Facebook is not the good stuff, it's meh average at best.
I'm more on the autograph side of things, and the Facebook activity I've encountered in this regard is geared towards the lowest end of the value spectrum. Lots of $1 item sales ("I'll give you 10 cents."). If someone posts a Mantle autograph (value is in the hundreds), people in these groups OOOH and AAAH like they're witnessing the Shroud of Turin. I can imagine the card faction to be a lot like this.
Old 07-19-2023, 06:19 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
I'm more on the autograph side of things, and the Facebook activity I've encountered in this regard is geared towards the lowest end of the value spectrum. Lots of $1 item sales ("I'll give you 10 cents."). If someone posts a Mantle autograph (value is in the hundreds), people in these groups OOOH and AAAH like they're witnessing the Shroud of Turin. I can imagine the card faction to be a lot like this.
I've dabbled in $100-$300 cards in FB via their auctions. Anything higher than that I would feel more comfortable doing a claim sale or DoND format.
Old 07-19-2023, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I've dabbled in $100-$300 cards in FB via their auctions. Anything higher than that I would feel more comfortable doing a claim sale or DoND format.
I've been of the same mindset value-wise when dealing on FB. I research the seller's reputation, then if that looks good, I've stuck to a similar maximum price point. So many of them only want to be paid via F&F, Zelle, and the like. No, I'm not paying their PP fees on top. That's their problem.
Old 07-19-2023, 09:05 AM

Default Ever a problem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
I've been of the same mindset value-wise when dealing on FB. I research the seller's reputation, then if that looks good, I've stuck to a similar maximum price point. So many of them only want to be paid via F&F, Zelle, and the like. No, I'm not paying their PP fees on top. That's their problem.

.. Does Facebook step up to protect you and refund your money ( like EBAY does ) if the seller keeps your money but never mails you the card ? Anyone ever have a problem ?

Old 07-19-2023, 09:17 AM
octavio ranzola

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
.. Does Facebook step up to protect you and refund your money ( like EBAY does ) if the seller keeps your money but never mails you the card ? Anyone ever have a problem ?

hi mike buy from people that are known in the group.pay goods .yes folks have been burned for not being smart
Old 07-19-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post

If you don't know the person, ask the group's moderator(s) to provide a reference for the seller before doing anything else.

Facebook offers zero protection for anything. Tread with caution. It can be done wisely, but always keep your guard up and do your homework before waving goodbye to your money. Personally, as already noted, I won't buy anything on Facebook over a predetermined ceiling price that I feel comfortable with.
Old 07-19-2023, 01:55 PM
Matthew Glidden

My own increasing interest in trading is straightforward and reflects the larger effort needed to track buy/sell values for tax purposes and transaction fees at each stage of selling via pros. Trading ends up about the same market value and can create friendly relationships, if you do it right! I offer things for sale every so often and then the hassle sends me back to trading. :-)

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest-running on-line collecting club. Find us at oldbaseball.com.
Old 07-19-2023, 04:30 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I'll be there as a buyer, in a great mood
Old 07-19-2023, 08:07 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
I'll be there as a buyer, in a great mood
Love to hear it. Good luck, Conor!