NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-17-2020, 01:31 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Daaammmmmnnnnn!!!!! Well done!

Are you gonna' get that Wagner into a new PSA case?

I think you should PSA that Doyle.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:44 PM
Rob

Joe, we are talking about 2 different things.

Let's say we were on a residential real estate chat-board, and someone posted a nice house. It would not be rude for people to ask how much it went for. "Hey, I just picked up Elon Musk's Willie Wonka house?" "Awesome, what'd you get it for?" etc

It's not the same as asking your brother-in-law how much he owes on his mortgage. I think we basically agree. It was a bst sale. Not unlike the ones where people delete the asking price after the sale. Rob
Old 06-18-2020, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Joe, we are talking about 2 different things.

Let's say we were on a residential real estate chat-board, and someone posted a nice house. It would not be rude for people to ask how much it went for. "Hey, I just picked up Elon Musk's Willie Wonka house?" "Awesome, what'd you get it for?" etc

It's not the same as asking your brother-in-law how much he owes on his mortgage. I think we basically agree. It was a bst sale. Not unlike the ones where people delete the asking price after the sale. Rob
Mile High Card Co. is auctioning off a PSA 1 Wagner in August, so you will get an idea of value in a couple months.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Mile High Card Co. is auctioning off a PSA 1 Wagner in August, so you will get an idea of value in a couple months.
SMR for t206 Wagner psa 1 is $550k so should sell somewhere in that vicinity.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:23 PM
J3ff Thr0m

Default Congratulations!

Ryan, congrats on acquiring these guys....fantastic! I do hope you’re able to acquire a solid 520 to go with them, which is a great idea. Hopefully one of these registry guys will help you out.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:37 AM
Connor
Connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoggs View Post
SMR is not a reliable source to gauge the price of a historic card like this. Honestly, I think its safe to say SMR is not reliable source for any card for that matter. A PSA Authentic with three of the 4 boarders chopped off sold in late 2019 for 540k. That puts the mile high copy coming up well above that. You would have to think 150k-450k more. Check out vintage card prices dot com to see actual sales of any vintage card.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan1883 View Post
SMR is not a reliable source to gauge the price of a historic card like this. Honestly, I think its safe to say SMR is not reliable source for any card for that matter. A PSA Authentic with three of the 4 boarders chopped off sold in late 2019 for 540k. That puts the mile high copy coming up well above that. You would have to think 150k-450k more. Check out vintage card prices dot com to see actual sales of any vintage card.
With the large jumps in prices of modern cards, it will be interesting to see if that translates to the Wagners. A Trout card just sold for 922k, why wouldn’t a Wagner sell for more?
Old 06-23-2020, 07:10 AM
Ed Woelfle

Default Big 4

Smh, I have several of these laying around. Mine even say "RP" which I'm sure stands for "Real Pure" so I know they're authentic

.. seriously, congratulations and thanks for sharing!
Old 06-23-2020, 10:45 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

I like to check this thread daily just to see the cards again lol. Still so awesome and love that you shared it with us!
Old 06-23-2020, 01:14 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

The Doyle is essentially an unobtainable card in my eyes so it's amazing to see it done. Unique only to the Olberman proofs which are obviously not considered in any set calculation. I remember reading the story about Larry Fritsch finding the Doyle while sorting through thousands of cards in the '70's and thinking how fun it would have been to make a discovery like that. Congrats on the acquisition.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:22 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I dont collect the set and generally ignore any thread with T206 in the title, but glad I popped into this one. A great accomplishment indeed!
Old 06-23-2020, 01:50 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Mount Rushmore being replace with these 4 iconic pieces of cardboard.
WOW! You sir are on fire!!!!
I understand the Wag..but have zero knowledge of this Doyle..all i ever seen was the other s in the set. Dont know why its so rare and etc.
You have a impresive collection and would love seeing your whole collection on Flickr or whatever.
Congrats.
Btw....birthday coming up...Leon it be great to see a T-shirt with the Big 4 on it commerorating this awesome acheivment.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:03 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
I understand the Wag..but have zero knowledge of this Doyle..all i ever seen was the other s in the set. Dont know why its so rare and etc.

Here are the basics:

Joe Doyle played for the New York Highlanders in the American League, and Larry Doyle played for the New York Giants in the National League.

Originally, the Joe Doyle cards were printed with the caption "Doyle, N.Y. Nat'l".

Apparently very early in the print run, the caption was corrected to delete the "Nat'l" reference. Noticeably, no effort was made to adjust the centering of the remaining caption, or to add the correct "Amer"; all the corrected Joe Doyle captions are off-center to the left.

The error was never noticed until the 1970s, when Larry Fritsch discovered it. To this day, I believe fewer than ten copies of the "Doyle, N.Y. Nat'l" cards exist.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 06-23-2020 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:07 PM
Connor
Connor

Quote:
With the large jumps in prices of modern cards, it will be interesting to see if that translates to the Wagners. A Trout card just sold for 922k, why wouldn’t a Wagner sell for more?
I agree whole heartedly my friend. My suspicion is the Mile high Wagner coming up will trade for 750k-1mil.

I just go back to the copy with three boarders trimmed off trading for the amount of a nice house in the burbs as my new gauge. Although that sale felt like pent up demand also because the card had not traded in a while, but none the less their is a new comp that suggest a big number..
Old 06-23-2020, 11:08 PM
Ed McCollum

Default Stupid question. Only kind I have ...

A private sale I understand the concept of. But how in the world does it happen?

Ryan is sitting at home and decides, “Hey, it’s about time I buy a Wagner and a Doyle rarity.” You don’t just go on eBay and find those, so how do you even know where to start looking, or who to contact?

Or was it more Powell was sitting at home and said, “I’ve had that Wagner, and the Doyle long enough. Think I’ll sell them. Hmm, bet Ryan would want them, think I’ll give him a call.”

I’m really glad that both parties seem happy with the outcome of their deal, but my mind is just reeling trying to figure out how something like this happens.

(If by chance there is a secret Wagner Owners Society (secret handshake, meeting once a year at an undisclosed location, etc.), if anybody talks to the owner of Howe’s old Piedmont Wagner, please tell them I would really like a color photocopy or scan, as that is the closest I’ll ever get to it. Thanks)
Old 06-23-2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan1883 View Post
Well SMR for psa 2 Wagner is $1,350,000 and mile high sold one for that price last October so I wouldn’t say SMR is not a reliable source for any card for that matter.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:14 AM
Rob

Ed, a poster asked in the T206 bst if anyone had a Wagner because he knew someone who wanted to buy one. Powell said he had one. Ryan posted he wanted one. That's why I called it a bst sale, and not a private sale. I stood up for the guy that got trashed for guessing the sale price. They both seem happy with the deal, so all is good. Rob
Old 06-24-2020, 12:27 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Not being a T206 collector I don't understand why the Doyle NY trades at such a premium to the normal card. There are comparable errors in the Old Judge set(same image, incorrect nameplate) that trade at virtually no premium to the normal card, even though they are quite rare. For me the T206 set would be complete without it since there are only 523 distinct images. This is just a variety. But then again, as I said, I don't collect T206s.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:38 AM
Connor
Connor

Quote:
Well SMR for psa 2 Wagner is $1,350,000 and mile high sold one for that price last October so I wouldn’t say SMR is not a reliable source for any card for that matter.
SMR is not a reliable source for prices. Their prices are a rough estimated round about they update when they aren’t swamped grading altered cards as normal.

Why would they estimate the Wagner PSA 1 at 550k when a copy traded for 609K in 2017? Check auction links below. And more importantly how can they conclude a PSA 1 is the same price of an authentic wagner with three boarders chopped off?. Their prices never make sense. I just worry about collectors that use SMR for their pricing, and I have felt this way for a long time. Not trying to be combative to you specifically, I just have frustrations with SMR and people using it. It may be great for modern but I doubt it.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...ription-071515

https://catalog.scpauctions.com/1909...NAL_WAGNER__PS
Old 06-24-2020, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Ed, a poster asked in the T206 bst if anyone had a Wagner because he knew someone who wanted to buy one. Powell said he had one. Ryan posted he wanted one. That's why I called it a bst sale, and not a private sale. I stood up for the guy that got trashed for guessing the sale price. They both seem happy with the deal, so all is good. Rob
This is generally correct. I had been after a Wagner for some time and put some feelers out. Then, a few people posted on BST they wanted a Wagner, so I jumped in and posted myself. At this same time, Powell posted on one listing that he had a Wagner. I reached out to Powell, we spoke on the phone, and we made a deal. Note, however, that cards like this just done get sold/bought that easily; this is true with $5,000 cards, let alone T206 Wagners. Both parties needed to get comfortable with one another and pre-qualify. I was able to learn who Powell is through common acquaintances as well as through articles, especially the ones about his collection in the Detroit Institute of Arts. Also, I became comfortable about the provenance of the card (the Connecticut Wagner). After I did my research on the Powell and the card, I was ready. I expect Powell did the same about me, as I know several people vouched for my character and ability to close the deal.

Regarding the Doyle, while I was on the phone with Powell working out a deal on the Wagner, Powell mentioned he would probably just break up the balance of the set now because it was no longer 524. Naturally, I asked if he would sell the Doyle, and he said if he got $X, he would. So I offered his asking price and he accepted. Going in I had ZERO expectation or hope of getting both cards, but when the opportunity presented itself, I had to act - who knows if I would ever get another chance to own a Doyle. So, I cut a deal on both the Wagner and Doyle, and that's how that happened.

With respect to the post by the guy who "guessed" the price: His initial post was much more of a statement, not a question, and implied that he knew the transaction intimately and what the price was, which he did not His post was amended (to what it currently says) only after I "trashed" him. Chris, I do accept your apology, but only warn that words have meaning and how they are written is important -- a question or opinion should be phrased as a question or opinion, as applicable, not as a factual, unequivocal statement.

Regarding price - I am not against telling certain people, privately, what I paid; I have in fact already told a number of people who I know and trust. But, for several reasons, I am not posting the price publicly, on a chat site. First, I have no interest in hearing people's opinion of my transaction - I am thrilled and that is all this community on-whole needs to know. Second, this site is open to the public, and I do not need anyone in my private/personal and business life, many of whom don't understand or care about cards, knowing what I spent on a baseball card. The exact price is not a secret, but its not for public consumption either.

I will disclose that I paid a lot for the Wagner, and far above SMR, which I have always thought was wildly inaccurate for all cards. Powell was not "motivated" to sell the card and the price needed to be sufficient to motivate him; indeed, he named his price and I said yes. Currently, there are a number of people actively and aggressively pursuing a T206 Wagner. Thus, I had competition and had to act (and that';s how I roll). I expect the T206 Wagner in Mile High, which was not available when I cut my deal, to trade for a record-high price for a 1. I agree with Conner that it will sell between $750k - $1mm, and I would not be surprised at all if the card went over $1mm. I feel the fellow who bought the PSA 2 for $1.4mm+/- earlier this year probably got a great deal in retrospect. So you have a borderless "A" selling for $540k (before tax) in September 2019 and a very pretty "2" selling earlier this year for $1.4mm+ (with tax) - there are your comps and should guide where Mile High's 1 may trade.

Regarding the Doyle, it was not as expensive as the Wagner, but close. To me, the Doyle is priceless. T206 Wagners are tough, but they can be had if you are willing to pay (I am an example). The Doyle is simply impossible. Very few exist, and they never sell. It is my belief there are 8-9 known, which means there can be no more than 8-9 complete, 524-card T206 sets. To think that T206 is the ultimate baseball card set and the Doyle, not the Wagner, is the primary obstacle to achieving a complete set - (to me) the Doyle is really really special.

I hope that answers some questions, most notably confirming that both parties are happy; indeed, I am over the moon.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 06-24-2020 at 05:32 AM.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:09 AM
John Donovan

I agree with a previous poster that said he has been revisiting this thread frequently to view the cards. I too have found myself looking at the cards almost daily.

And now Ryan has given us all some insight into the thought process and inner workings of how an ultimate baseball card deal can happen (by the way, hopping on an airplane and completing a baseball card deal at an airport sounds like something out of a movie )

This is truly a fascinating thread.

Ryan thank you for sharing this so we can all enjoy it too.

John
Old 06-24-2020, 06:15 AM
Po.well Mill.er

What Ryan says is 100% accurate and I hope and expect he will receive the same joy I received from the Wagner and Doyle. I had no intention of selling when Ryan reached out, but a deal was made at the highest level of professionalism on both sides. Today, the Wall of Cards comes down. Heritage is picking up 522 — #3 on the Registry with many 1 of 1 specimens this morning. It was a 16 year labor of love. However, a new wall of 522 is going right back up with a mid-grade set. I’m still very much in the hobby. I’m more focused on type collecting and building nice collections of Ruth and Cobb, especially Cobb whom I believe got a bum rap from a biographer who betrayed him. My favorite Cobb is the Plow’s Candy E300 which is about as rare as the Doyle. I’ve enjoyed the Board and appreciate all.

Powell
Old 06-24-2020, 08:01 AM

Wait, Ryan, people vouched for you?

I was happy to be the first person Ryan told about this transaction; he knew I'd be up that late at night! He did not have to go into such great detail here about the inner workings of the deal, but he graciously did (and Powell confirmed). Hopefully people will respect their privacy, and not pry on pricing. Very cool (monumental) transaction, going to the perfect home. Congrats, guys.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:02 AM
Brendan Mullen

Powell/Rhotchkiss, thanks for posting all of that. Was a fun read fellas.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:04 AM
James M.

Certainly enjoyed reading through this. I think seeing a deal of this magnitude, will the be closest I'll ever get to actually owning a Wagner. Unless they triple my salary, every year for the next handful of years! More and more I'm enthralled by this community.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:34 AM
Jason

So much fun to read. Thank you guys for posting.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:51 AM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Not being a T206 collector I don't understand why the Doyle NY trades at such a premium to the normal card. There are comparable errors in the Old Judge set(same image, incorrect nameplate) that trade at virtually no premium to the normal card, even though they are quite rare. For me the T206 set would be complete without it since there are only 523 distinct images. This is just a variety. But then again, as I said, I don't collect T206s.
Hi Jay, would it be similar to an N172 pose/image that has a corresponding Players League nameplate variation that sells for multiples?

p.s. Nice cards Ryan
Old 06-24-2020, 11:04 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Ryan- W-O-W!!! This is absolutely stunning!!

be sure to check with Buzz Aldrin to find out how to follow up...

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-24-2020, 12:52 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Thank you for sharing the cards and the story behind acquiring them, that Doyle is sure special (the only example I got to hold in person)
Old 06-24-2020, 03:15 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
Hi Jay, would it be similar to an N172 pose/image that has a corresponding Players League nameplate variation that sells for multiples?

p.s. Nice cards Ryan
Hi Rob! I don’t know a PL card that sells for that kind of percentage premium over the regular version. Nothing close. A factor of ten to twenty would be huge. This is a factor of ten thousand.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:12 PM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Hi Rob! I don’t know a PL card that sells for that kind of percentage premium over the regular version. Nothing close. A factor of ten to twenty would be huge. This is a factor of ten thousand.
good point
Old 06-24-2020, 05:41 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Hey Ryan - I now that you just got the Wagner card, but if you're open to a trade, I have a 1990 Fleer Jose Uribe error card in my safe. You could throw in some cash to make it an even swap...

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-25-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
When that card sold SMR was 775k, so it wasn’t accurate. That was based on a sale of 776750. The new sale of 1353625 was an increase of 74%. Apply that to the 550 and you get a new price of 958k. After that the Authentic with 3 sides cut off sold for 540k and again they didn’t raise the price. If you use the median between an A and 2 sale it would be 947k for a 1. If you use their valuation of Plank the 2 is 1.41 times the value of a 1. Apply that to the Wagner and you get 957k. Just based on more recent sales a 1 should be worth around 950k, even if they are conservative price it at 900k.

All this doesn’t factor in the recent jump in prices. There are clearly people throwing around big money for cards. We have a Trout selling for over 900k and a LeBron currently in auction at 900k. All it takes is 2 people with the money wanting a Wagner and the price could go even higher. Wagner is the one vintage card that should see a bump from the big money being paid for modern cards. When Gretzky paid 451k the his Wagner, it was expected to go for much less, so it shouldn’t be a surprise if this card goes over a million dollars.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I have to agree the Doyle would be the one to have (for me) if going for the 534. Wagner's can be had with money. That isn't always the case with the Doyle.

Old 06-29-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
When that card sold SMR was 775k, so it wasn’t accurate. That was based on a sale of 776750. The new sale of 1353625 was an increase of 74%. Apply that to the 550 and you get a new price of 958k. After that the Authentic with 3 sides cut off sold for 540k and again they didn’t raise the price. If you use the median between an A and 2 sale it would be 947k for a 1. If you use their valuation of Plank the 2 is 1.41 times the value of a 1. Apply that to the Wagner and you get 957k. Just based on more recent sales a 1 should be worth around 950k, even if they are conservative price it at 900k.

All this doesn’t factor in the recent jump in prices. There are clearly people throwing around big money for cards. We have a Trout selling for over 900k and a LeBron currently in auction at 900k. All it takes is 2 people with the money wanting a Wagner and the price could go even higher. Wagner is the one vintage card that should see a bump from the big money being paid for modern cards. When Gretzky paid 451k the his Wagner, it was expected to go for much less, so it shouldn’t be a surprise if this card goes over a million dollars.
Ok we shall see if your valuation is correct or not.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:00 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have to agree the Doyle would be the one to have (for me) if going for the 534. Wagner's can be had with money. That isn't always the case with the Doyle.

534??? I'm out.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-30-2020, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Ok we shall see if your valuation is correct or not.
And we will see how close your valuation of 550k is.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:30 AM

Never did a valuation just stated what SMR says.
SMR may be off too or close to accurate, we shall see.

Last edited by Jdoggs; 07-01-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
You said it should sell in the vicinity of 550k. We shall see how accurate that is.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:20 PM

Yes rats we will see.

Last edited by Jdoggs; 07-01-2020 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:45 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default T206

I think Wags cards are going to keep going up. They have almost never gone down aNd I don't see it in this atmosphere.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:28 AM

Count me among those who keep coming back to this thread just to see the cards again. I know I could Google pictures at any time, but it just seems different when it's one person owning them at once.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 07-14-2020, 08:56 PM

Default 524 T206 Set Completed!

I wanted to update that I have officially completed the 524 T206 set!

I recently acquired a near complete PSA registry set (thanks Gary). After picking up a few laggards and adding some from my collection, I can proudly say that I have assembled a complete, 524-card T206 set. Every card except my Doyle and a Cobb, Bat On, are in a PSA flip, with an average grade of 5.62. I expect (with some help) to register the set, and I may attempt to cross the Doyle and Cobb, down the line. If I do cross the two cards and register the set, it will be the only 100% complete, 524-card T206 set on the active registry and only the 2nd 100% complete set ever registered.

I love baseball cards and I love the T206 set most of all, so I am super-psyched to accomplish this.

Quick note that, before he sold me the Wagner and the Doyle, Powell (the original owner of the Connecticut Wagner and the Doyle) had a complete 524-card T206 set (in a much higher average grade than mine). I could never have done this without him and his willingness to part with those two amazing cards (and a Demmitt, St. Louis).

Thanks to Joe, JP and Memory Lane for helping me complete the bulk of the set.

Thank you Bill, Bob, and Hank for helping me fill a few holes.

A special thanks to Troy for your help and advice, and thanks also to Michael, Luke, Jay, Andrew, Steven, and Bryan for your guidance. And thanks to all of you who offered me cards, sets, and parts of sets, especially Ron, Scott, and Rob.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 07-14-2020 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:57 PM

Really psyched for you, Ryan. Congrats, fantastic accomplishment!

Best,
M
Old 07-14-2020, 10:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Congrats Ryan......
Old 07-14-2020, 11:11 PM
Rob

Nice going, Ryan. What's next? Upgrades? Tougher backs? T205? T207? n172?
Old 07-15-2020, 12:09 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Congratulation Ryan. Collecting is about fun, and it is easy to tell that you are having a gas.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:35 AM
Ron Rice

Default T206 set

Congrats, Ryan. Well done!!
Old 07-15-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridwell View Post
Congrats, Ryan. Well done!!
Thanks Ron!
Old 07-15-2020, 10:38 AM
Troy Rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I wanted to update that I have officially completed the 524 T206 set!

I recently acquired a near complete PSA registry set (thanks Gary). After picking up a few laggards and adding some from my collection, I can proudly say that I have assembled a complete, 524-card T206 set. Every card except my Doyle and a Cobb, Bat On, are in a PSA flip, with an average grade of 5.62. I expect (with some help) to register the set, and I may attempt to cross the Doyle and Cobb, down the line. If I do cross the two cards and register the set, it will be the only 100% complete, 524-card T206 set on the active registry and only the 2nd 100% complete set ever registered.

I love baseball cards and I love the T206 set most of all, so I am super-psyched to accomplish this.

Quick note that, before he sold me the Wagner and the Doyle, Powell (the original owner of the Connecticut Wagner and the Doyle) had a complete 524-card T206 set (in a much higher average grade than mine). I could never have done this without him and his willingness to part with those two amazing cards (and a Demmitt, St. Louis).

Thanks to Joe, JP and Memory Lane for helping me complete the bulk of the set.

Thank you Bill, Bob, and Hank for helping me fill a few holes.

A special thanks to Troy for your help and advice, and thanks also to Michael, Luke, Jay, Andrew, Steven, and Bryan for your guidance. And thanks to all of you who offered me cards, sets, and parts of sets, especially Ron, Scott, and Rob.
Congrats on the achievement! Definitely not a normal way of doing this but great to see you getting it done so efficiently...haha! Glad to help the little I did as well! Now I can be jealous looking at your set....haha! Kudos and congrats again!