NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-06-2020, 04:49 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

'smatter, Detroit, can't take a little good natured ribbing?

As for "All the fat white guys live in the East. People in California play outside", well, I've been to card shows all over the place and I've run a few in Cali, and no matter where you hold a show you will get a bunch of fat white guys. It's a fat white guy magnet, like free pizza. Now I'm not saying most collectors are fat white guys but if you need to find a bunch of fat white guys, maybe as extras for a Destination XL clothing commercial, you pretty much would meet your quota at a card show anywhere in the country. And I am not just CEO of fat white guys at card shows, I am also a member...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-06-2020 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:00 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Probably some deals to be had at that 1980 show.
Man to go back in time. As a younger collector, I do feel I missed out on a lot of opportunities, simply because I wasn't alive. I found the first print beckett price guide online and the prices on some of the cards, is straight up ridiculous. $15 for a 55 Clemente? $90 for a 33 Goudey Ruth.

Hell you could've purchased a mint set of 53 Topps for $350 (according to beckett at least)!

Would love if some of the older collectors could chime in on what it was like back in the day.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
If only......
Old 08-06-2020, 06:54 PM
Michael Skiles

Default National

I would like to see a show in Denver or Omaha (very underrated town but probably not enough hotels etc..) I lived in Houston when the National was there. I lived in Detroit when the National was there. I dislike going to Chicago. Since I live outside Indianapolis, I drive up. I took my wife one time and she hated it, the traffic, the convention center etc.... I've been back twice but I drive to Kankakee the night before and stay there and then drive up for the show. She went with me to Cleveland and we had a great time, we drove. The hotel had a shuttle to and from the center. We stopped at the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the McKinley memorial in Canton. Had a great time. That's the other part of this if it were held somewhere else we would go. Especially if it is somewhere she hasn't been and if there was something else we would like to see in the area.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
1981 show (not National), my first vintage cards, total $11.00

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firstfivecards 001.jpg (83.3 KB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg firstfivecardsbacks 001.jpg (83.9 KB, 400 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 08-06-2020 at 08:58 PM. Reason: added (not National)
Old 08-07-2020, 04:20 AM
Wayne V

Default Proud member (?) of the OFWGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

As for "All the fat white guys live in the East. People in California play outside", well, I've been to card shows all over the place and I've run a few in Cali, and no matter where you hold a show you will get a bunch of fat white guys. It's a fat white guy magnet, like free pizza. Now I'm not saying most collectors are fat white guys but if you need to find a bunch of fat white guys, maybe as extras for a Destination XL clothing commercial, you pretty much would meet your quota at a card show anywhere in the country. And I am not just CEO of fat white guys at card shows, I am also a member...
I also am a member of the OFWGC (Old Fat White Guys Club). I don't know if I'd go as far as to say a proud member. Gotta stick to that diet.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:47 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

It's like if you have a brother that just can't get his shit together, ever. It's ok for you to make fun of him, but if someone outside the family does it, you take it way more personally. So don't pick on Detroit...unless you live here.

And, there have been many big shows in Detroit. I remember meeting Al Rosen when I was about 12 at a show here that had dealers from around the country – I paid $5 for a 1969 Mickey Mantle card. Here's the ad from a show in July, 1978.

Detroit_Free_Press_Sun__Jun_25__1978_.jpg
Old 08-07-2020, 08:29 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
There is an Easy Coast National in New York every year. Why doesn't someone promote a West Coast National in California or Las Vegas? If it goes well then maybe dealers will ask for the National to be out west every few years.
There will not be an East Coast National This Year:

As copied from their web site:

We have been informed by the Westchester County that all events that were scheduled to occur in the Westchester County Center for 2020 have been cancelled. This includes us and all other shows. The County Center is now a full Covid backup hospital with beds and medical needs and is prepared to be used at any time if needed during these terrible times. We have been told that this plan is going to continue until the end of 2020. We look forward to a full return in 2021 at the Westchester County Center.

The Local Long Island Shows are being cancelled one at a time because we are holding out hope for an allowed increase of people for gatherings. The current situation for New York is a 50 person maximum per gathering. Please keep checking back for further updates

Last edited by Rich Klein; 08-07-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:20 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
It's like if you have a brother that just can't get his shit together, ever. It's ok for you to make fun of him, but if someone outside the family does it, you take it way more personally. So don't pick on Detroit...unless you live here.

And, there have been many big shows in Detroit. I remember meeting Al Rosen when I was about 12 at a show here that had dealers from around the country – I paid $5 for a 1969 Mickey Mantle card. Here's the ad from a show in July, 1978.

Attachment 412845
Sorry, if you can't even handle jokes about your city... that's your problem. I come from a place that is constantly referred to as a "shit hole", and instead of acting offended or whining about it, I embrace it.... It's MY "shit hole", and I'm damn proud.

Now if you are insecure about Detroit or get upset because what people say about it is actually true, then that's something you yourself need to accept, or move.
This also applies if you are unfortunate enough to be a Red Wings fan
Old 08-08-2020, 12:36 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
There will not be an East Coast National This Year:

As copied from their web site:

We have been informed by the Westchester County that all events that were scheduled to occur in the Westchester County Center for 2020 have been cancelled. This includes us and all other shows. The County Center is now a full Covid backup hospital with beds and medical needs and is prepared to be used at any time if needed during these terrible times. We have been told that this plan is going to continue until the end of 2020. We look forward to a full return in 2021 at the Westchester County Center.

The Local Long Island Shows are being cancelled one at a time because we are holding out hope for an allowed increase of people for gatherings. The current situation for New York is a 50 person maximum per gathering. Please keep checking back for further updates
I would love if the "big" Hofstra show on Long Island in October can be held but it's looking increasingly doubtful. My professional association has already cancelled our annual October events in NYC and there are no plans for anyone to go back to Manhattan office buildings unless they want to at both my job and my wife's. My building in midtown, which has about 60% of 44 floors occupied by my firm opened to 10% max capacity about a month ago and five people total showed up the first week. It has not gone up substantially since.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:51 PM

Hey Detroit! Just remember you're not Windsor! Be positive.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:55 PM
Al Richter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G4bxA2Gfnc
Old 08-08-2020, 02:09 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRqKZnZ83sY
Old 08-09-2020, 01:55 AM
Rich Klein

Evem Cleveland people understand that's a better place than Detroit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIbmT2Rs8vw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

This is the 1st of those videos: Detroit is not mentioned in this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

Last edited by Rich Klein; 08-09-2020 at 01:57 AM.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:46 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:
Evem Cleveland people understand that's a better place than Detroit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIbmT2Rs8vw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

This is the 1st of those videos: Detroit is not mentioned in this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY
Man, you guys are brutal!
Are you allowed to say people from Texas are dumb?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg53WYCPCjI
Old 08-09-2020, 06:44 AM
Al Richter

You certainly can, but then folks want to know if they were born there or just wandered in from somewhere else
Old 08-09-2020, 06:53 AM
Rich Klein

BTW:

Steve Perry on South Detroit. *Hint, it does not exist*

Old 08-09-2020, 07:58 AM

Default Nooooo Youtube links !

Quote:
BTW:

Steve Perry on South Detroit. *Hint, it does not exist*

..please do not put a link to "Youtube" in any post I might read because I wind up going over thereand then searching and then watching Kristin Wiig trying to sing " Hallelujah" and my day is shot and I never get the yardwork done. Thank you.