NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Default Obak reprints

Posted By: J Levine

Wondering if they were ever reprinted...I am being accused of selling a group lot that included two reprints...I bought these from board members and know them to be real but I want all my ducks in a row before I blast this ebayer...who by the way gave me the wrong shipping address...got the package returned three weeks later, sent out again with extra obak for the delay and now getting accused of selling reprints...the cards are in horrible condition and the two cards he accuses me of are peeled and bent (Davis and Fitzgerald)...I will post the auctions below but this is one bidder I may not do business with again...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5208120398&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESO%3AIT&rd=1

and this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5208122216&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESO%3AIT&rd=1

He has not posted his feedback but he says he will post positive feedback eventhough all this has happened.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Default Obak reprints

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

Plus there's no way any of yours are reprints. The guy must be out of his gourd or something to bitch about getting 7 vintage cards for $27. Hang in there, Joshua-- you don't deserve this.

Sounds like a promising candidate for the blocked bidder list--

Tim

Old 07-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Default Obak reprints

Posted By: Shannon

Never seen or heard of obak reprints, Im sure tbob would know for sure, yours look good to me just a little beat up

Old 07-14-2005, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Default Obak reprints

Posted By: tbob

I know the seller, Joshua, and so didn't really even need to look to know that they are real, but I eyeballed them and they are 100% legit.
The obaks set have never been reprinted but there are two things for collectors to watch out for. The 1910 and 1911 sets have been reproduced and there is a seller on ebay selling them but they are far, far larger than the originals and he relates this in his ad. Nice guy, not trying to fool anybody, just selling beautiful artwork.
The other thing to watch out for is there was a seller 2 years ago on ebay who reproduced some 1909 Obaks and was selling them as the real thing. Anyone who collects the set could spot them as fakes but unfortunately bidders were paying $100-200 each for them. A couple of us finally managed to get the clown thrown off ebay but they may still be floating around. 1909s are extremely rare and the backs come with and without framelines. They also are usually hand cut and thus, sadly, the grading card companies won't grade them. About 25% of my set falls in to this category and many are vg to ex cards otherwise, extremely rare for this set. Hopefully the grading companies (which grade 1913 and forward Zeenuts which have their coupons ripped off the bottom leaving jagged edges) will someday change their minds...

Old 07-14-2005, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Default Obak reprints

Posted By: davidcycleback

Reminds of the time I had on eBay an autograph of Dodger Willie Davis. Someone emailed me and said he was good friend with Davis and the autograph didn't resemble Davis'. I told him the autograph was fine (it was), and he could tell Davis to contact me if he wanted. Never heard back from this eBayer or Davis (guessed they had never even met each other), and never figured out what was the point of interaction.

Old 07-15-2005, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Default Obak reprints

Posted By: Bob Donaldson

I'm sure the cards are legit and I KNOW Josh is! Maybe you could refer the seller to this post for testimonials to both the cards and yourself. Good luck with the transaction.

Bob

Old 07-15-2005, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Default Obak reprints

Posted By: brian p

Like Bob, I believe that there have never been reprints of any of the Obak sets. Of course, people can make and have made color copies of the cards, but you could easily spot these versus the incredibly vivid originals. Heck, I should have won these just to save Joshua a lot of hassle from this bobo.

Brian

Old 07-15-2005, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Default Obak reprints

Thanks everyone for the answers and kind words...I have written the buyer a note and offered to buy the two cards back but will probably still get a negative from this guy...oh well...

Joshua

Old 07-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Default Obak reprints

Josh, it's good to treat customers well, but perhaps you're too nice. For example, there's no need to include extras for a late package when the lateness is due to the buyer giving you the wrong mailing address.

If you're willing to have him return the cards (cards returned first) for refund, that is understandable. But you aren't required to give a refund for cards being reprints if the cards aren't reprints.

Old 07-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Default Obak reprints

David,
Never really been accused of being too nice...I included the extra (totally skinned 1910 obak) because I used his ebay address instead of the address on his check. He also had to wait an extra two weeks for his cards...I figured it would be a throw in and he seemed very upset...I try to make things better and help people out when I can. I do not sell very often but I do like repeat customers.

I would only refund him for the two cards (partial refund) not for the entire purchase.

Joshua

Old 07-15-2005, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Default Obak reprints

John, sometimes you can't please customers.

I once sold a lot of 100 "all baseball players" signed index cards. When I was packaging the lot, I had some extra non-baseball 3x5s that lying around (vintage Congressmen, minor actors, etc), so tossed in 10 of those with the 100 baseball because he paid a good price. When he got the lot, the buyer complained that the 3x5s weren't all baseball as advertisied. Assuming he hadn't counted the 3x5s, I explained about the extras and said that, if he wished, he could return the 10 extras to make the lot all baseball like he wanted.

Old 07-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Default Obak reprints

Well, I got an apology from the buyer and some nice positive feedback also. I love it when things work out in the end.

Joshua