NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-11-2013, 02:24 AM
Rich Klein

Default If you could get one poster to return

that was a NET 54 poster who would it be. That person does need to be living. For example I once wrote I miss Bruce Dorskind's posts the day he was reinstated (Leon still thinks I knew something I did not) but again his points when on topic were very interesting.

As an example, I recently had a nice Facebook convesation with Davallio about old music no less. When he posted about cards, his posts were usually on topic and quite thought provoking.

Who do you miss after we've been on this board for a dozen years now.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 12-11-2013 at 02:24 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:44 AM

Joe Pelaez. Absolute passion. Never afraid to speak his mind. Miss him dearly. RIP Joe.

Josh

P.S. Sorry Rich...just noticed you said the person needed to be living...hope you can make an exception for Joe P. :-)

Last edited by Josh Wolf; 12-11-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:57 AM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Wolf View Post
Joe Pelaez. Absolute passion. Never afraid to speak his mind. Miss him dearly. RIP Joe.

Josh
Was about to say the same name. I hate I didn't know him sooner.

I'd love an epic return from Marshall Barkman, complete with the last 5-7 years of noise bringing stories. Last I heard he left us for a PGA Tour/Music Business/Antique Roadshow gig. Guy had pizazz, I'll give him that.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:07 AM
Rich Klein

Default Marshall is a good example

I'd love to see Joe come back; we've had perhaps (depending on religious preferences) one person do that -- and he was a nice Jewish Boy.

Rich
Old 12-11-2013, 06:10 AM
Peter Spaeth

Yeah Marshall was a great guy, just ask Joann.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ghlight=sexist

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:13 AM
Barry Sloate

Bruce.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:44 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I am newer to the board. Yet I really think, reading through old threads, that "Archive" had some really good things to add.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:05 AM
Cain J.

a

Last edited by insccollectibles; 02-08-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:09 AM
Mike

:d

Farrah-Fawcett-in-her-famous-red-swimsuit-poster-pose-from-1977.jpg
Old 12-11-2013, 07:41 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Marshall Barkman for sure. Rarely can someone make me literally laugh out loud; Marshall did repeatedly.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Tom Boblitt

Bring in da noize, bring in da funk..........

WOWSER.....remember that Farrah poster. Had to have that one on the back of my door in case company came over......
Old 12-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Ben North

I am probably in the minority here but I would like to se Pepis(Jose Vasquez) back on the board. He gave out a lot of info on how to spot fake packs. Yes he was a scumball that also sold some but most people that know the exact details on how to spot fake items got it from being a scumball or learned it from one.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Peter Spaeth

My choice is Peter Chao. Nobody is even second.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
My choice is Peter Chao. Nobody is even second.
I would have bet my entire collection that you would say that.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Jimmy, kingofclout....hands down.

Jeff
Old 12-11-2013, 09:19 AM
David Pierson
Banned

Frank Kealoha Ward
Old 12-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Ed McCollum

Hal Lewis had some nice cards that he would share online from time to time. Just enjoyed seeing cards I knew I would never be able to afford.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I would have bet my entire collection that you would say that.
Todd, his debut thread will never be surpassed, although his Virginia Tech one came close.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ghlight=spiked

Old 12-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Peter Spaeth

And another true classic.

#5 Report Post Old 04-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Administrator Join Date: Mar 2009

Default OT: At least 22 Dead at Virginia Tech

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted By: peter chao
It is an unimaginable tragedy, thirty-one young adults have died. It's a senseless shame. This is the reason that we play sports. It allows us to take out our agressions on the playing field. Can you imagine Barry Bonds with a gun, or Wilt Chamberlain with a gun. Thank God for sports.

Peter

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...light=virginia

Old 12-11-2013, 10:08 AM
qu@n nguy3n

i am convinced "peter chao" was an alt id of wesley l. bay area real estate lawyer, wes is a genius like that.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Belltown Vintage

There are many who I would like to see return. A few of them pop in from time to time, but I think Dan Mathewson pretty much just disappeared.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Pa.ul Mat.is.ak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I am probably in the minority here but I would like to se Pepis(Jose Vasquez) back on the board. He gave out a lot of info on how to spot fake packs. Yes he was a scumball that also sold some but most people that know the exact details on how to spot fake items got it from being a scumball or learned it from one.
I agree with you Ben. I hated the way he would try to misdirect (look at these reseals of here!) whenever someone would bring up his resealing. I don't think he ever did answer the Bradshaw pack inquiry. And his attacks on BBCE seemed very unwarranted and unfair - almost blaming the victim (in a way) of the reseals he got past PSA.

But he did provide some information that I never had before that seems to hold up regarding ABCDEF sheet labeling and the top of packs. He also provided some valuable information regarding what to look for in the seals and the sides of the pack.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
i am convinced "peter chao" was an alt id of wesley l. bay area real estate lawyer, wes is a genius like that.
LOL. He's real though.
http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/94612-...ao-341613.html

Old 12-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Um, he's been disciplined twice. LOL Wait -- three times if you include Net 54.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Al

I'm with Peter (Spaeth). Peter Chaos tops the list. There was nothing like logging into 54 after a few hours away from the board and reading a dozen or so of his posts.

-Al
Old 12-11-2013, 12:27 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Um, he's been disciplined twice. LOL Wait -- three times if you include Net 54.
Even with his two slaps he is still within 2.8 points of your score Jeff on that website. Go figure.....
Old 12-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Dan Bretta

Peter Chao is definitely real...Steve Murray I believe provided some pics of their meeting. He also gets my vote as most wanted to return...he wasn't mean spirited like Barkman, and as a moderator I got tired of the complaints against him.....Chao was our Yogi Berra.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Barkman was the most mean spirited poster ever. Figures he's first on Lichtman's list.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:56 PM

Whenever I bid on ebay I miss seeing the old user IDs of those guys I respected but who cost me so much extra because of their spirited bidding:
vendomecat (Mike), gobucksscrewblue (Tim), ockday (Alan), muskiecaptain, husbandoftammy (Hal), etc.
As far as posters go, I am sorry Bruces is no longer with us but I don't miss his mean spirited posts toward several of my friends on this Board. I can't say I miss Marshall or Chao either, for different reasons, sorry guys...

Last edited by tbob; 12-11-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Barkman was the most mean spirited poster ever. Figures he's first on Lichtman's list.
Bruce used to openly pray for the death of people here; Marshall was just obnoxiously funny. But very, very funny at times. Yes, he was offensive but I hate to break it to people here: everyone offends someone out here eventually.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Jeremy W.

tbob- I think husbandoftammy was JC, not Hal. Either way, it would be great if they were both still members.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:07 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Shame we lost George Dreher easily the most amazing made up collection of all time on Net54. Even after his duffle bag of 1989 Donruss were laid out carefully on the broken Ikea bed some people just didn’t want to believe (Lichtman). Wish he would come back perhaps he’s added imaginary cards to the collection…I guess we will never know.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=85096
Old 12-11-2013, 01:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Yeah this was hysterical. Funny guy, damn I miss him.

""Once again doll smart remark about being introduced throwing up at a party. When was the last time you were spanked? Perhaps a few taps will change your perspective and you may lighten up a little on your obvious frustrations."

Old 12-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Shame we lost George Dreher easily the most amazing made up collection of all time on Net54. Even after his duffle bag of 1989 Donruss were laid out carefully on the broken Ikea bed some people just didn’t want to believe (Lichtman). Wish he would come back perhaps he’s added imaginary cards to the collection…I guess we will never know.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=85096
YES!!! I forgot about that guy....didn't he say he had an entire vault at the bank full of cards?
Old 12-11-2013, 04:43 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
YES!!! I forgot about that guy....didn't he say he had an entire vault at the bank full of cards?
Dan yeah just a few….6,000 T206's in 1/2 screw downs, 5k 19th cards depending on what day he claimed to have 30-40k pre-war cards and a collection in the 10's of millions all in one bank and a few safety boxes for $600 a year. Classic, and boy did I take a beating for doubting this joker….until that duffle bag full of 89 Donrus hit that Ikea bed for the photo op. Classic 54.

Last edited by wonkaticket; 12-11-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Dan yeah just a few….6,000 T206's in 1/2 screw downs, 5k 19th cards depending on what day he claimed to have 30-40k pre-war cards and a collection in the 10's of millions all in one bank and a few safety boxes for $600 a year. Classic, and boy did I take a beating for doubting this joker….until that duffle bag full of 89 Donrus hit that Ikea bed for the photo op. Classic 54.
Ha...yes, I just went back and read his farewell thread that you linked to...good times!
Old 12-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ha...yes, I just went back and read his farewell thread that you linked to...good times!
Quite a few bright lights shining in that thread.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Quite a few bright lights shining in that thread.
One of the funniest threads ever. I especially love when board members begged George to stay! LOLOL
Old 12-11-2013, 05:47 PM

Don't forget BCD and the occasional video by Brian Cataquet
Old 12-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Don't forget BCD and the occasional video by Brian Cataquet
Heh...I forgot about BCD. Wasn't he always threatening to beat people up?

Anyone missing the brilliance of Scott Elk*ns?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Anyone missing the brilliance of Scott Elk*ns?
I've tried to pick up the slack in his absence. I've heard through the grapevine that I'm a worse person than Scott.

So I've got that going for me. Which is nice.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Elkins was released from his cage not that long ago and presumably is back inside his trailer, dreaming of ways to kill Jews and his ex-wife.

Frank Evanov is someone whose posts I miss.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default poster

marshall... bring da noize
Old 12-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Elkins was released from his cage not that long ago and presumably is back inside his trailer, dreaming of ways to kill Jews and his ex-wife.
and chickens.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
and chickens.
Yes, the chickens. I always said that a guy who took such great delight in torturing animals was a vicious, psychotic, criminal-to-be. Elkins sure proved that.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Barry Arnold

Default the return of posters

I have 2 in mind: Yawie and Doc Duet.
all the best,
barry
Old 12-12-2013, 06:21 AM
Ed McCollum

Default Glad this post isn't about "name the one poster you wouuld hate to see go."

That list would be way too long, and couldn't be narrowed down to one.

Last edited by Howe’s Hunter; 12-12-2013 at 06:22 AM. Reason: tried to edit typo in the header, but can't. Geez.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:01 AM
Ed McCollum

Default Iggy

Don't know that he is really gone, but certainly doesn't post as much as he used to.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:19 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Heh...I forgot about BCD. Wasn't he always threatening to beat people up?
You are correct, sir! I was one of them. He offered to fight me in a MMA cage match after sending me a link to his MMA record. I told him if we ever fought I'd shoot him instead of fighting fair. The Lord made all men but Samuel Colt made them equal.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-12-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
tbob- I think husbandoftammy was JC, not Hal. Either way, it would be great if they were both still members.

Yes Jeremy, you are correct. Both had great collections, both no longer do.