NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-30-2009, 05:15 AM
John

Default Tobacco Card Stories

Would love to hear some stories about actually finding a baseball tobacco card in an unopened cig pack. What was found, condition, scans, etc.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:47 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 Matty

A long time friend of mine, who lives in the Smoky Mountain region of North Carolina, while in College at Davidson (NC)
in 1959, found an unopened Piedmont pack in a small Antique shop.

He pulled a Mathewson (dark cap) from it....lucky guy.

He put the pack and the card in the glove compartment of his Ford truck and forgot about it. Traded in the truck that
year, and left the card and Piedmont pack in it. He regretted this for many years, so when he returned to BB card col-
lecting in 1973, one of the first cards he acquired was a T206 Matty.

He is one of the many "unknown" veteran hobbyists that have huge BB card collections (all ungraded), that prefer to
remain anonymous.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 12-30-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:03 AM
John

Nowadays a card would probably be wrapped in cellophane, like a cereal or crackerjack prize. What about tobacco cards, were they tucked in the pack right up against the cigarettes?
Old 12-30-2009, 08:04 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default John V......

In the late 19th Century, cardboard premiums (BB cards, etc.) were originally inserted into cigarette packs as "stiffeners".
The "slide and shell" cigarette pack contains 10 cigarettes in the "shell" and the card was inserted between the shell and the
inside wall of the pack. Many early 20th Century packs contained 2 cards. In the Spring of 1911, TOLSTOI (or LENOX, UZIT)
packs contained a T206 and a T80 (Military Series) cards.

Perhaps this picture helps to illustrate what I'm saying......

[linked image]

TED Z
Old 12-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Jon Canfield

This is an Obak pack in my collection with its original card.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Jon Canfield

John - to answer some of your questions, most cards were tucked against the cigarettes however not all where - it really was dependant upon the brand.

In terms of other stories, one of the more famous stories was the man who pulled an Old Judge card from an unopened pack of Old Judge cigarettes at the east cost national (I think) a few years back. SGC graded the card on the spot as a 98. I believe someone has a scan of the card and the flip makes mention to it being pulled from the pack.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Marc Powers

Default T-Cards

I think I am going to invent a time machine and go back in time and collect all the packs I can get my hands on! Anyone want to go with me?
Old 12-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Henry Levy

Default T Cards

Mark P.

Don't waste your time inventing a time machine ... when you can buy one. Just render payment to my associates at Dewey, Cheatum & Howe and we'll send you on your way.
Happy trails to you, pilgrim.

Hank
Old 12-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Richard A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
John - to answer some of your questions, most cards were tucked against the cigarettes however not all where - it really was dependant upon the brand.

In terms of other stories, one of the more famous stories was the man who pulled an Old Judge card from an unopened pack of Old Judge cigarettes at the east cost national (I think) a few years back. SGC graded the card on the spot as a 98. I believe someone has a scan of the card and the flip makes mention to it being pulled from the pack.

Coincidentally, about two days ago I was wandering around the Internet and found this exact card on BMWCards.com. Here's a link to the image of the card -- if you go to the 'Graded Cards' section of BMW's website there is a small write-up of the (now sold) card.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Barry Sloate

I know the collector who owns that Alcott. He's very low key and not in the hobby mainstream.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:37 PM

Why did SGC put that label on? Weren't they all pulled from cigarette packs?
Old 12-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default yes but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Why did SGC put that label on? Weren't they all pulled from cigarette packs?
They were all pulled from packs but SGC didn't see all of them originally being pulled. Big difference....at least imo...
Old 12-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Jon Canfield

I agree - I like the fact that SGC put the info on the card. I doubt there is another pack in existence that stills holds an N172.

In terms of other stories, I know a few board members had a small find of Honest Long Cut tobacco packs in the early 1980s. All were opened and I believe many T205s were pulled.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:20 PM
Richard Cline

Thanks for posting the pictures of the cards with their packs, much appreciated on this end.

RC
Old 12-30-2009, 06:20 PM
T0dd M@rcum

20 or more years ago, I was introduced to an old guy (probably in his 90s) who talked about hanging around outside of the pool halls and the duckpin bowling alleys in downtown Roanoke waiting for the men to come out. He said they would throw their cigarette packs in the gutter and he would fish them out...he probably had a couple hundred t206s and t205s. He told me a story about how all the boys had heard of Honus Wagner and never could get a card of him so he cut a picture out of a magazine and pasted it on a t206 and traded it to one of the other boys for like 20 t206s. A few years later, I helped broker some cards for a collector in Lynchburg...did great by him considering the time...but among his cards were a t205 with a picture of Honus Wagner pasted on the front. Lynchburg is about 50 miles from Roanoke so I concocted a fantasy in my head of farm boys trading the card and it making it's way across the tobacco fields from Roanoke through Bedford to Lynchburg. I got the card (the guy gave it to me for my troubles...) and I still have it to this day...grateful for the opportunity to share the story with some fellows who might have similar tales.