NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-10-2019, 12:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I actually think the card's value will go down in value with time. The notoriety and famous history is part of the mystique, but so was that it was the "highest grade Wagner."
Its value has shot straight up despite everyone including every purchaser since Copeland knowing it was sheet cut and trimmed. Kendrick could flip it now for 3x what he paid I bet.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-10-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:12 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Looks like the PSA 8 is back in the pop report again.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:15 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Its value has shot straight up despite everyone including every purchaser since Copeland knowing it was sheet cut and trimmed. Kendrick could flip it now for 3x what he paid I bet.
Not sure that is entirely accurate. Certainly there were those accusations, which PSA was vigorously denying. I have heard that David Hall at one of PSA's annual gatherings for their top customers made an impassioned defense of the accuracy of the "8' grade, arguing that because those doubters haven't seen the card out of the slab as he had, his opinion should carry the most weight.

So now if in fact the card is re holdered as an "A" AND SOLD WITH THAT LABEL ON IT, IMO that is a materially different fact circumstance and I would be hesitant to predict the outcome. Accompanying this scenario would be as time went on there will be less talk of it being the highest graded Wagner. So even if it did hold its value today, that does not necessarily portend what its value might be in the future.

Last edited by benjulmag; 07-10-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
Not sure that is entirely accurate. Certainly there were those accusations, which PSA was vigorously denying. I have heard that David Hall at one of PSA's annual gatherings for their top customers made an impassioned defense of the accuracy of the "8' grade, arguing that because those doubters haven't seen the card out of the slab as he had, his opinion should carry the most weight.

So now if in fact the card is re holdered as an "A" AND SOLD WITH THAT LABEL ON IT, IMO that is a materially different fact circumstance and I would be hesitant to predict the outcome. Accompanying this scenario would be as time went on there will be less talk of it being the highest graded Wagner. So even if it did hold its value today, that does not necessarily portend what its value might be in the future.
I would bet anything Gidwitz (spelling?), Siegel and Kendrick and anyone else I have left out knew very well what the deal was. Maybe the general public didn't entirely but so what. It's "The Card." It's infamous.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-10-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:24 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
In my opinion most or all of the value now is in the card's notoriety. I don't think putting it in an AUTH flip would matter.

Agreed. I think this particular card transcends the holder.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:36 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yes the card has achieved notoriety that transcends the assigned grade. But aside from its real or imaginary monetary value, PSA built its entire foundation on a Sheet-Cut Card that was improperly assigned a numerical grade.

They could actually restore credibility and confidence by correcting their epic mistake. But as evidenced in post #1 of the linked BO thread, they will not do so...

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1302161

The response from Steve Sloan might be even more smug and less honest than his infamous Letter, which assumes no responsibility or accountability for PSA’s hundreds of missed alterations (which continue to pour in).

Sloan states that “No change to the population report is necessary”... despite Mastro admitting under oath that he trimmed the card. How any company can thrive (or even survive) with that tragic level of honesty, integrity, and lack of customer service is beyond me. I guess money really does trump everything, including conclusive proof and simply doing what’s right.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:47 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Can't recall why I made this years ago but here it is.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:53 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

The "8" on the holder is part and parcel of the card's notoriety. Replace that with an "A", you have a different product. We are in a hobby where form trumps substance. How many of the people who own 8's, 9's and 10's care if the card is trimmed as long as they have the almighty slab telling them and everybody who will listen to them what they want to hear? IMO nobody is going to consider paying $10M for the card re holdered as an "A". Imagine that were to happen and the next time the person shows it off to his high heeled friends at a cocktail party some guest in a loud voice asks what is so special about a card graded an "A"? I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see the reaction on the card owner's face in that instance.

I believe the value of this card is a package deal where the number on the flip is part of the package.

Last edited by benjulmag; 07-10-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:10 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great insight Corey....

But it still needs to be changed!
Old 07-10-2019, 02:50 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Deleted

Deleted.

Last edited by tedzan; 07-13-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:00 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
And I wonder how many people have started buying up PSA A cards this summer, realizing the cards are frequently identical in condition to those that sell for 100x as much.
id actually rather have touched up A card with white borders and looks not trimmed even if trimmed and not creased up versus a lot of PSA 1s that are all beat up and tangled up and creased

Lots of A cards do sell more for '1's and '2's