NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-29-2022, 08:52 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Default Friday National Report

Normal routine Spike, Taylor, and I out the door at 8AM this time we swing by to pick up Glenn and we are parked and inside the venue by 9. Today I spent $1,707 and walked 12,035 steps or 5.35 miles according to my watch.
First stop I buy a full set of 1979 Donruss Rockstars 66 card set for $35 then off to William Chappells table.
There comes a time in every set collectors journey when you just have to bite the bullet or come off your wallet as we say. I have been working on my Play Ball sets for many years and today I purchased several 1939 and 13 from 1940. Some of the 1940 Play Ball include Honus Wagner, Chuck Klein, Connie Mack, Harry Heilman,
Napoleon Lajoie, Heinie Manush, Harry Hooper, Red Fabre, Frank Chance, and John McGraw what a start to the day!
Other pick ups include two 1938 Goudeys and I finished my 1960 football team emblem set adding the G B Packers.
I found a $20 bargain box and bought a duplicate 1935 National Chicle football card and two needed Goudey Sport Kings. In this $20 box was a pile of 1972 Topps football high numbers and if you don’t know these are very tough cards. I told the dealer I would buy them all if he sold them to me at $10 each which he agreed to and I pulled all 25 of them including three Otis Taylor, Len Dawson, two Jim Marshall, Willie Lanier, Bubba Smith, two Charlie Taylor among them. Was excited to get that deal. Found a dollar bargain box and pulled 20 or so 1955 Bowman baseball and 1962 Fleer football cards but ended up buying the whole box of about 1,000 cards for $100 mostly 1959 1960 1961 Topps and not all commons either these will be set upgrades then into the duplicates box. I had to take a trip to the car to offload at this point lol. Spent the rest of the day wandering around and making purchases when I found something interesting.
Had dinner with about 12 other OBC members at Hangtime a sports bar then back at the Air B&B at about 9:30 to full for a Gelato stop lol.
The show was busy but seemed busier yesterday. Phone and internet worked better today but still not great. It’s as cold as a meat locker inside the show I wish I’d brought a sweat shirt lol.
707 Sportscards had a tribute showcase to Jim Fleck who I did not know but do know that many thought a great deal of this man so I took a picture I hope it turned out ok.
It’s exhausting but really having a blast and looking forward to tomorrow!
Larry

Old 07-29-2022, 09:13 PM
qualitycards

Larry thanks for showing Jim's tribute at the 707 booth
Knew him for almost 40 years, still can't believe he's gone
Old 07-29-2022, 09:13 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
Normal routine Spike, Taylor, and I out the door at 8AM this time we swing by to pick up Glenn and we are parked and inside the venue by 9. Today I spent $1,707 and walked 12,035 steps or 5.35 miles according to my watch.
First stop I buy a full set of 1979 Donruss Rockstars 66 card set for $35 then off to William Chappells table.
There comes a time in every set collectors journey when you just have to bite the bullet or come off your wallet as we say. I have been working on my Play Ball sets for many years and today I purchased several 1939 and 13 from 1940. Some of the 1940 Play Ball include Honus Wagner, Chuck Klein, Connie Mack, Harry Heilman,
Napoleon Lajoie, Heinie Manush, Harry Hooper, Red Fabre, Frank Chance, and John McGraw what a start to the day!
Other pick ups include two 1938 Goudeys and I finished my 1960 football team emblem set adding the G B Packers.
I found a $20 bargain box and bought a duplicate 1935 National Chicle football card and two needed Goudey Sport Kings. In this $20 box was a pile of 1972 Topps football high numbers and if you don’t know these are very tough cards. I told the dealer I would buy them all if he sold them to me at $10 each which he agreed to and I pulled all 25 of them including three Otis Taylor, Len Dawson, two Jim Marshall, Willie Lanier, Bubba Smith, two Charlie Taylor among them. Was excited to get that deal. Found a dollar bargain box and pulled 20 or so 1955 Bowman baseball and 1962 Fleer football cards but ended up buying the whole box of about 1,000 cards for $100 mostly 1959 1960 1961 Topps and not all commons either these will be set upgrades then into the duplicates box. I had to take a trip to the car to offload at this point lol. Spent the rest of the day wandering around and making purchases when I found something interesting.
Had dinner with about 12 other OBC members at Hangtime a sports bar then back at the Air B&B at about 9:30 to full for a Gelato stop lol.
The show was busy but seemed busier yesterday. Phone and internet worked better today but still not great. It’s as cold as a meat locker inside the show I wish I’d brought a sweat shirt lol.
707 Sportscards had a tribute showcase to Jim Fleck who I did not know but do know that many thought a great deal of this man so I took a picture I hope it turned out ok.
It’s exhausting but really having a blast and looking forward to tomorrow!
Larry

Nice report Larry, I missed seeing you and the OBC guys this year as I skipped the trip to AC. Sounds like you are getting some nice bargains and having a blast. That is what this show is all about.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:32 PM

Larry, you old geezer, you did really well beer chug.gif
Old 07-29-2022, 09:33 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Great recap Larry. Thanks

Love the counting steps

Any pictures of your pickups? Sounds like you got some great prices and some interesting pickups

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-29-2022, 09:47 PM
James

Awesome post!
Old 07-29-2022, 10:10 PM
Dave Carson

Wow. Great day Larry. Seems like some superb pickups.

Grabbing a good size lot of cards is always fun and makes the show. Last year I grabbed a big stack of 1949 Bowman and it was my favorite purchase.

Love these daily recaps. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2022, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Great recap Larry. Thanks

Love the counting steps

Any pictures of your pickups? Sounds like you got some great prices and some interesting pickups
With the aid of a calculator, Larry on average took just slightly over 7 steps (7.05) for each dollar he spent at the National on Friday. Current medical guidelines recommend a minimum of 10 steps per dollar, while extreme collectors regularly only take 2.4 steps or less per dollar.

The choice is yours tomorrow, Larry...a healthy collection, or a healthy Larry.

Brian (have fun either way!)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 07-29-2022 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-29-2022, 10:55 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Found a dollar bargain box and pulled 20 or so 1955 Bowman baseball and 1962 Fleer football cards but ended up buying the whole box of about 1,000 cards for $100 mostly 1959 1960 1961 Topps and not all commons either these will be set upgrades then into the duplicates box.

You were able to get a thousand 1959-1961 Topps (plus some 55 Bowman, 62 Fleer football, etc.) for 10 cents each? That is an absolute steal!
Old 07-30-2022, 04:39 AM
Wayne V

Great pickups, Larry
Old 07-30-2022, 07:50 AM
Jeff P

Thanks for the update Larry! Sorry we didn't run into each other this year. I was there from Wed- Fri and had a blast.

Nice crowd yesterday IMHO. It was elbow to elbow at most booths and very crowded in the aisles. I'm guessing this weekend will be even busier.

Have fun guys!

jeff
Old 07-30-2022, 12:48 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Found a dollar bargain box and pulled 20 or so 1955 Bowman baseball and 1962 Fleer football cards but ended up buying the whole box of about 1,000 cards for $100 mostly 1959 1960 1961 Topps and not all commons either these will be set upgrades then into the duplicates box. I had to take a trip to the car to offload at this point lol. It’s exhausting but really having a blast and looking forward to tomorrow! Larry
You must have posted a report from 1992's National by mistake!