NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-24-2009, 05:00 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Default Should Seller Reimburse Buyer For Grading Fees?

I recently sold a card that the buyer submitted to a grading service. The card turned out to have evidence of trimming. It was not something that would have been picked up by the naked eye. My policy is to send a full refund along with any shipping costs that the buyer paid to ship it back to me. That's exactly what I did.

Seller asked to be reimbursed for any fees that he had to pay to the grading company. In addition he asked me to refund higher shipping costs than he paid. I told him that I could not be responsible for any grading fees that he had. I paid him whatever he paid for the cards plus the exact shipping costs.

He was not satisifed and left a neutral feedback stating that I did not pay for his grading fees or shipping costs. Its true that I did not pay for his shipping fees but it was a lie about the shipping.

How do other sellers deal with a card that comes back graded trimmed or fake? Do you reimburse the buyer for their grading fees?

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 11-24-2009, 05:17 AM

Default Never asked for it

Happened to me once as a buyer. The seller refunded me my purchase price & postage costs. I did not ask for a refund on grading fees. I felt that was my choice (Grading), so I was responsible for that expense.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:22 AM
Scott

I would think you did the right thing by refunding the purchase price and the shipping. Had you stated (or implied) that the card would get a numeric grade, then the grading fess should be refunded as well.

I am certain you did not do this, but I despise listings with the phrase "PSA 9?" as part of the description...especially if the seller is selling other recently graded cards.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:28 AM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Did the buyer see scans of the card? Especially if so, we all take risks when buying a card and the buyer should have known that risk. I think it's impressive that you refunded the original purchase after it being out of your hands for that period of time. It was the buyers choice to have it graded. I don't see why you should be responsible for that.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:53 AM
Matt Wieder

IMO it depends on the listing - if you guaranteed it would grade then I can see you needing to cover the grading costs as well.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default depends on the description

If you said you guarantee it will grade, then yes. If you didn't mention grading then it was on him and he pays those fees. You didn't ask him to send it in. That being the case I might mitigate damages depending on other things in the transaction, and pay half.

This morning I am returning some cards that were grossly miss described. I am taking a hit too as I should have asked more questions. You did the right thing on this one with the caveat of the wording in the description.

Sellers not being able to leave neutral or negative feedback is a joke.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:30 AM
Pup6913

Howard you are not responsible for their grading fees. I have bought many cards from you in the past and the descriptions and every part of the auction are always on cue. I think 1 time I got an American Caramel card from you and upon recieving seen the bottom was trimmed. Never had an issue returning and ended up buying about 7-8 T206's that night from you. I would not worry about it. He could have left Negative feedback, and its our job as collectors and buyers to look at these item before sending them off. I would not send an obvious trim in to grading. It sounds like a guy who can't take blame to me.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:30 AM
Steve Murray

I guess I will be a minority of one on this issue and say that you should reimburse for grading fees.

When you listed the card you implicity represented that it was authentic and unaltered. That was proven not to be the case. Depending on the card (and we don't know what it was) you might have had a reasonable expectation that someone buying the card was going to have it graded. With grading so prevelant these days that could be a safe assumption especially if it was a high end or valuable card.

If I were in your position I likely would reimburse for the fees. BTJM
Old 11-24-2009, 07:33 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Grading is subjective. I submitted a pack-fresh card from a sealed box and unquestionable dealer five years ago. The skittish grader returned it 'Trimmed". I later resub'd and received a 9. It's all a crap shoot.

As far as refunding., This buyer rolled the dice hoping you'd cave. If he truly felt you wronged him, you would've been Neg'd.

IMO, To best protect excellent feedback, sellers should only sell holdered cards.