NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 05-16-2020, 08:58 PM
Matt Ferroni

Default Harper RC Help

So I was a big 90s junk collector as a kid and about a year ago when my son was born got back into collecting, mostly post-war vintage with an occasional T206. Idea is to start a collection for him which someday will turn into a father-son hobby when he is older (wishful thinking I know). Anyway, I am a huge Phillies fan and for his first birthday was interested in adding a nice Harper RC to his collection. Didn't really want to spend north of $250 so basically from what I've seen in that price range could either go PSA 10 '11 Bowman Platinum auto or an ungraded (probably like an 8) '11 Bowman Chrome auto? I like the Chrome card slightly better in terms of aesthetics but worry the potential investment value overall would be lower if it wasn't top grade quality. As someone not as in tune with modern collecting which would be a better option?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-17-2020, 05:00 AM
Joseph Mie.lke

Looking on ebay, it looks like a lot of the Platinum autos are starting to fade, or he had a bad pen. Of the two, I would get the other, its more iconic, even in its grade. Personally, I try to stay away from chrome because of the potential fading and streaking, prefer the Heritage autos. I'm also not a fan of Bowman in general compared to Topps, especially as an investment. Obviously price is a factor here, so get the Chrome 8.

Last edited by Chicosbailbonds; 05-17-2020 at 05:02 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:12 AM
C@rl P@rk

I have gotten a few from 2012 Topps issues that are rookies (as opposed to prospect cards)- starting with the SP 661, which was seeded into Series 2 packs. There are two other 661 variations, from the factory set, which used to go for around $50 in PSA 10, but lately the "Front Leg Up" version has taken off like a rocket (around $150 for PSA 10). The "Screaming" variation is still around $60 in PSA 10.

There is also his 2012 Topps Update Rookie Debut and 2012 Topps Chrome, both of which have gotten pricey lately.

I think some of this is a bubble that has to pop at some point. But the 2012 Topps Chrome is a really nice card that I think can still be gotten semi-affordably.