NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 04-25-2020, 05:39 PM
Dylan

Default Topps Packaging/Production Timeline Help

I figure this is a long shot request but maybe someone has some info.

I’m looking to figure out which Topps packaging type was issued last, excluding factory sets.

Is wax first? Concurrent with other packaging types? If so, throughout the entire run or are some packaging types reserved for later in the card year? Conjecture and fading memories welcome!

Specifically, I’m looking for information on 1989 Topps if that’s of any use.

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr
Old 04-25-2020, 07:40 PM
Rich Klein

In the 1980's wax always came 1st. I think we got our 1st wax in NJ on or about New Year's Day from about 1986-89..
Old 04-25-2020, 08:26 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
In the 1980's wax always came 1st. I think we got our 1st wax in NJ on or about New Year's Day from about 1986-89..
Thanks, Rich! Do you happen to recall what usually came out last? Jumbo? Rack? Cello? Vending?

Old 04-27-2020, 11:03 AM
Dylan

***edit/delete***

Last edited by jacksoncoupage; 04-27-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:39 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
Thanks, Rich! Do you happen to recall what usually came out last? Jumbo? Rack? Cello? Vending?
Not sure about jumbo/rack/cello but that not much after wax. Vending was offered to dealers and usually hit a couple of months after everything else.

Then the final thing to come out was factory sets/

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 04-27-2020 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:31 PM
Joseph Mie.lke

I remember it as Wax/Cello being released around the same time, rack would be a month later, then vending much later.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:39 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicosbailbonds View Post
I remember it as Wax/Cello being released around the same time, rack would be a month later, then vending much later.
Very interesting, thank you! Any recollection on when vending would be released? Mid or late season? I’m assuming that they are the final Topps release (excluding factory sets).

Old 04-28-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Very interesting, thank you! Any recollection on when vending would be released? Mid or late season? I’m assuming that they are the final Topps release (excluding factory sets).
In the 80's early 90's I think vending was out by March, I used to get 500-ct Topps team boxes pulled from vending and had them by opening day. The factory sets might be May or June back then? I think they were late as to not cannibalize the other sales as tons of dealers hand collated sets.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:48 PM

My records also show wax first, followed by a mix of vending, rack packs and cellos. These are the case codes I saved for 1989 year:

1989:
112691 - vend
112893 - wax
131693 – vend
120792 – jumbo pack case
122393 - wax
130991 -wax
222393 – Topps Big BB
332093 -wax
332098 - wax

You can see above that there was a 1989 vending case with serial number 112691. Dave from the Topps Archives, Lonnie C. and I figured out the Topps codes a few years ago (the sequence of which I was able to confirm in an interview with a former Topps employee). The first digit is the fiscal quarter, the second digit is the month of that quarter, 3rd and 4th digits the day of the month, 5th digit is the last number of the year and 6th digit was the shift that stamped it. A code of 112691 was stamped on January 26, 1989.

I have good reason to believe these codes were stamped at the shipping dept not when the case box was packed by the factory workers. This is because I have found several Topps cases stamped twice, with a "final sale not to be returned" stamp on it. That means it was returned by a seller/vendor, and restamped when a new bill of lading was filled out. I have found several cases with bill of lading receipts on them that match exactly to the 6 digit case code as well.

This means that vending was shipped out for retail sale in '89 as early as the last week of January.

Let me know if I can help with any other details, but the case codes themselves reveal quite a bit.

Last edited by West; 04-28-2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:53 PM

I also have a bunch of 1990 case codes as they didn't change much from year to year. The codes starting with a 4 were produced in Dec. '89 and they were all wax:

421591 - wax
421691 - wax
422092 - wax
423092 - wax
431492 - wax
431993 - wax
110702 – jumbo
111401 - wax
111402 - wax
111403 - wax
112603 - wax
120101 - wax
120801 -vend
121703 - wax
121802 - wax
130601 – Rak-Pak
130903 – wax
131402 - wax
131601 - wax
131802 – fact. Set
131903 – vending
132203 – wax
132302 – wax
133102 - wax
210101 - wax
211902 - wax
212301 - jumbo case price club NJ

Last edited by West; 04-28-2020 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:35 AM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
My records also show wax first, followed by a mix of vending, rack packs and cellos. These are the case codes I saved for 1989 year:

1989:
112691 - vend
112893 - wax
131693 – vend
120792 – jumbo pack case
122393 - wax
130991 -wax
222393 – Topps Big BB
332093 -wax
332098 - wax

You can see above that there was a 1989 vending case with serial number 112691. Dave from the Topps Archives, Lonnie C. and I figured out the Topps codes a few years ago (the sequence of which I was able to confirm in an interview with a former Topps employee). The first digit is the fiscal quarter, the second digit is the month of that quarter, 3rd and 4th digits the day of the month, 5th digit is the last number of the year and 6th digit was the shift that stamped it. A code of 112691 was stamped on January 26, 1989.

I have good reason to believe these codes were stamped at the shipping dept not when the case box was packed by the factory workers. This is because I have found several Topps cases stamped twice, with a "final sale not to be returned" stamp on it. That means it was returned by a seller/vendor, and restamped when a new bill of lading was filled out. I have found several cases with bill of lading receipts on them that match exactly to the 6 digit case code as well.

This means that vending was shipped out for retail sale in '89 as early as the last week of January.

Let me know if I can help with any other details, but the case codes themselves reveal quite a bit.
Wow! This is very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to outline all of this. Very fascinating stuff, too. Once I locate the product I want to open for this project, I will document my research into this card.

Does it seem realistic to conclude that no '4XXXX' code cases exist? Or '34XXX' cases? Did Topps wrap up production by late March or have you seen anything that suggests otherwise.

I know from 1991 Topps research that their factory sets (white and holiday boxes) were packed from a very specific "late-mid" run of the product, based on which variations were included. I'd assume that would be the case with 1989 as well.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Does it seem realistic to conclude that no '4XXXX' code cases exist? Or '34XXX' cases? Did Topps wrap up production by late March or have you seen anything that suggests otherwise.

I know from 1991 Topps research that their factory sets (white and holiday boxes) were packed from a very specific "late-mid" run of the product, based on which variations were included. I'd assume that would be the case with 1989 as well.

Topps did still fulfill orders for their current year product in the 4th quarter. I recorded a 1986 Topps Wax Case with the serial number 410261 which would have been shipped out on October 2nd, 1986. I've also recorded a few serial numbers representing shipping dates in July, August and September of the current year product but the vast majority of the codes are from November-March. The earliest case code I can find for early released wax product for the upcoming year product was a 1990 Topps wax case with code dated 11/15/89. These were hobby boxes (Griffey green box). Was Topps base released around Thanksgiving? Seems quite early to me, so perhaps the cases were stamped when the pre-order was filled and then shipped out when the official release date came. Hopefully someone has a good memory as to when they first saw the new release product available at their card shops.

As to your question about Topps wrapping up production, the way I see it, when all the pre-press production was finished and printing was tooled up and ready to produce at scale (mid October?), Topps would send an order to Quebecor or whoever the printer was at that time for, say, 3 million sheets of base. That product starts rolling in to Duryea and they start cutting it up and packing it out. By mid November they have a warehouse that looks like this:

I'd guess uncut sheets keep coming at a rate of 500K sheets/week from early November until the end of March. By this time we have somewhere on the order of 6-10 million produced of each card in 1989 Topps base. Some of that still sits in the warehouse waiting to meet demand but maybe they get rid of a shift in packaging once April rolls around and the season starts. The printers likely just print base product on demand at this point and the same goes for packaging. They've moved on to football or Batman or whatever they need to fill orders for. Just speculation here. I spend a lot of time thinking about this stuff!

Last edited by West; 04-29-2020 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:36 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:

1989:
112691 - vend
112893 - wax
131693 – vend
120792 – jumbo pack case
122393 - wax
130991 -wax
222393 – Topps Big BB
332093 -wax
332098 - wax

Yup, you got it. There is an occasional curve, like with the last digit being anything other than 1, 2 or 3. They are indeed shipping date codes. Wonder if that last one ends in 8 due it being a RE (return privilege) or if it means something else. The one above it is September 20 as well but indicates 3rd shift. I think Lonnie found some that ended in 4, would have to go back and look. Depending on where the product was going, different unions packed and shipped-could mean something in that regard.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:44 AM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
Yup, you got it. There is an occasional curve, like with the last digit being anything other than 1, 2 or 3. They are indeed shipping date codes. Wonder if that last one ends in 8 due it being a RE (return privilege) or if it means something else. The one above it is September 20 as well but indicates 3rd shift. I think Lonnie found some that ended in 4, would have to go back and look. Depending on where the product was going, different unions packed and shipped-could mean something in that regard.
Quote:
Topps did still fulfill orders for their current year product in the 4th quarter. I recorded a 1986 Topps Wax Case with the serial number 410261 which would have been shipped out on October 2nd, 1986. I've also recorded a few serial numbers representing shipping dates in July, August and September of the current year product but the vast majority of the codes are from November-March. The earliest case code I can find for early released wax product for the upcoming year product was a 1990 Topps wax case with code dated 11/15/89. These were hobby boxes (Griffey green box). Was Topps base released around Thanksgiving? Seems quite early to me, so perhaps the cases were stamped when the pre-order was filled and then shipped out when the official release date came. Hopefully someone has a good memory as to when they first saw the new release product available at their card shops.

As to your question about Topps wrapping up production, the way I see it, when all the pre-press production was finished and printing was tooled up and ready to produce at scale (mid October?), Topps would send an order to Quebecor or whoever the printer was at that time for, say, 3 million sheets of base. That product starts rolling in to Duryea and they start cutting it up and packing it out. By mid November they have a warehouse that looks like this:

I'd guess uncut sheets keep coming at a rate of 500K sheets/week from early November until the end of March. By this time we have somewhere on the order of 6-10 million produced of each card in 1989 Topps base. Some of that still sits in the warehouse waiting to meet demand but maybe they get rid of a shift in packaging once April rolls around and the season starts. The printers likely just print base product on demand at this point and the same goes for packaging. They've moved on to football or Batman or whatever they need to fill orders for. Just speculation here. I spend a lot of time thinking about this stuff!
I suppose I'd better start with the earliest and latest cases I can find (with an affordability factor). Most of the vending cases I viewed online only had the #951-1989 number stamp, nothing visible for the production stamp as far as I could tell. From there, I should see if continuing to break open this product is worth the time and effort to unravel the mystery of a card almost nobody remembers.

The next challenge is to find contact info for someone who may have worked on the design team at Topps in 1988-1989. A proofer, editor, etc. If you have any leads or know anyone who could put me in touch, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks again for this great chunk of info.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:36 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:

The next challenge is to find contact info for someone who may have worked on the design team at Topps in 1988-1989. A proofer, editor, etc. If you have any leads or know anyone who could put me in touch, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks again for this great chunk of info.
NDA's and general reluctance to talk about Topps production processes render this type of attempt moot usually. Topps is opaque and also has almost no records from the past. It's stymied me for years.

Last edited by toppcat; 04-30-2020 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:34 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
NDA's and general reluctance to talk about Topps production processes render this type of attempt moot usually. Topps is opaque and also has almost no records from the past. It's stymied me for years.
I figured as much. I’d assume the same for UD (especially regarding their early years).

The production info is just one part of the picture here. Finding some info from a Topps source regarding the changes made to the card is the second, most important part and it is hard to imagine any reason why anyone with knowledge about it would have to worry about breaching any NDA. It seems doubtful that whatever the reason for the changes, they’d be protected trade secrets.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
I figured as much. I’d assume the same for UD (especially regarding their early years).

The production info is just one part of the picture here. Finding some info from a Topps source regarding the changes made to the card is the second, most important part and it is hard to imagine any reason why anyone with knowledge about it would have to worry about breaching any NDA. It seems doubtful that whatever the reason for the changes, they’d be protected trade secrets.

Just out of curiousity, is there a reason we can't discuss the card in question? I'm quite interested in the general subject as it is, but actually know very little about 1989 Topps errors and misprints.

As for the non disclosure agreements, I have mostly had the same experiences as Dave (Toppcat). Despite numerous attempts I was only able to speak to one former employee.

There are signs that the veil of secrecy is lifting with time. Phil Carter was "Director of Sports" in 1987 for Topps and just last week went on the record for ESPN in the story about Don Mattingly's birthday. However, I've found that the guys who are most visible are often in some kind of PR or upper management position that would have interaction with the press. Topps' employee records were very confidential at the time and I've never had any luck tracking down anyone who had anything to do with pre-production. For example, John Tassoni Jr of Topps printing subcontractor Quebecor was interviewed by SCD last year but he was just a floor worker in 1990.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...hn-tassoni-jr/

If you're looking for someone who would have been involved in pre-production (plate making, correcting errors, etc), that would have likely been a different department. Depending on the card itself and the nature of the error, you're probably not even looking for a Topps employee. You would likely be wanting to talk to a pre-production worker from 1988-early '89 at Federated Lithographers-Printers (which became Quebecor in Nov. 1989 when they bought it). Let's take a look at the two articles detailing pre-production and see if we can figure out what the process was (and hopefully Steve B can actually answer this question at some point)

When you look at Tassoni's interview, he was at one point quoted as saying that in the early 90's, “The film was sent to us,” Tassoni said. “All we had to do was strip it in.” This implies that while photography, artwork, graphics and design were likely done in house at Topps, once it was all completed and ready to be shot and negatives created to make printing plates, that would be shipped off to the subcontractors at Federated Lithograph Printers/Quebecor to have final negatives created and then used to create the printing plates. This would seem to make sense to me. Since the plates would degrade frequently over the time it takes to produce millions of sheets of sportscards, it would be worthwhile to have platemaking done at the printing facility to decrease turnaround time when new plates are needed. Or when an error is discovered that needs correction. So if you are looking for information on how an error was corrected in the middle of a 10 million sheet press production, my best guess is you would be looking to talk to someone at Federated Lithograph Printers.

It is possible that I have this all wrong and they did all their platemaking and print corrections in Duryea. If you look at the second article I have that goes behind the scenes at Topps, they make it sound as if all printing and pre-production was done right in Duryea at the Topps plant. But the employee I spoke to about the accuracy of this article implied that this was a bit of PR spin. It sounds way better in print to imply that all the work is done in house at Topps rather than to clumsily explain that they've subbed out printing to a Canadian owned company operating in Rhode Island. Here is the article below to compare:

Last edited by West; 05-01-2020 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:38 AM
Dylan

Quote:
Just out of curiousity, is there a reason we can't discuss the card in question? I'm quite interested in the general subject as it is, but actually know very little about 1989 Topps errors and misprints.
Absolutely not, I'd love to share as much about this card to anyone interested. I am working on a lengthy blog entry now. My site focuses on errors and variations (and unmarked promos, proof) from the junk wax era, especially the stuff that didn't make the guides, usually due to discovery after the error fad of the early 90s had passed. The card in question is as fascinating to me the 1990 Topps NNOF or 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken is to others. But warning, this is deep dive into the production lifespan minutia of a common!

1989 Topps Tony Oliva #665 (Turn Back The Clock subset)

Here is what is known:

(3) Versions of the card exist:
  1. Missing copyright line on back (blank space were copyright goes)
  2. Blacked out copyright line on back (vertical black bar printed over copyright)
  3. Copyright line on back (copyright visible in correct placement)

Since 1989/1990 Beckett has listed two versions: "Missing copyright" and "Corrected" versions. Dick Gilkeson's Error & Variation Guide has listed the "Blacked-out" version since at least 1990 (my copy of his guide is from 1990). Since I started down the E&V road in 2002ish, I have been hunting for the "Blacked-out" version. Most hobbyists, I think its fair to say, only know of the two versions. I have seen very few examples of the blacked out card, possibly for this reason. It being a common card likely has something to do with that as well.

Beckett has a parenthetical note next to the card in their annual guide: "Fabricated Card" - which likely refers to the fact that Oliva didn't have a solo card in the 1964 Topps set so Beckett mocked up something based on the photo of his Rookie Stars card (shared with another player). A very common practice today with Topps Archives types sets, not so common then.

So the questions I have are:

What order were these produced? It is commonly believed that there are two versions of the card and a copyright line was originally forgotten and added early on in the run (it is a tough card to find). But the discovery of a third version challenges this. Like the black box on the Ripken or the one on the 1990 Upper Deck Mike Witt, this vertical black bar covers up the copyright line perfectly. So...

Could the copyright line version be the mistake? Copyright line version runs from the beginning throughout the run, word comes in from ?? toward the end of it, requesting the change, card receives black strip over copyright either to A) mark for removal from sheets or as the correction itself. Aesthetically, it doesn't work so Topps changes the plate and removes the copyright line entirely. If so...

Why did Topps need/want to remove it? Does it have something to do with the card being a mockup or "fabricated card" as Beckett calls it? What possible reason could Topps have to remove the copyright line from a product of theirs?

And lastly, if the production order is as generally believed: no copyright followed by a "correction" by adding the copyright, where does the blacked-out version fit in? Is the black bar covering nothing? A marking point for where the copyright is meant to go? Any good reason for this to be the case?

This is where things are right now. I just received a disappointing "blind lot" of 141 copies of the card from Sports Lots. No blacked-out version. I'm looking at cases now online (though this is riskier than buying 100+ copies sight unseen).

I think I've covered everything so far. Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by jacksoncoupage; 05-01-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:45 PM
Steve Birmingham

May as well combine the answers as I see them to both questions.

west-

Topps process was much more involved at the design/proofing stage than the place I worked. We probably did one or two photographic proofs based on the customers originals. Some jobs there were no proofs at all*.
After that it was probably very similar. Original art was photographed, (Most likely the meaning of the "board X" markings in the sheet margins.
The negatives went to the stripping dept. which mounted them to an opaque paper called a mask, which made it a full plate size negative of sorts.
Then off to platemaking,
Then plates off to the pressroom.

Our place pretty much held the plates in the plate room until the pressroom needed them.
depending on the press, whoever was printing for Topps, Quebecor or anyone, probably would have made the next needed plate as required. So if say yellow was on the press for 3 days, the cyan plate would probably be made on day 3. If they were really adventurous they might have anticipated the overall need and made multiple plates. (If they were using multi- color presses, which seems likely and/or if they were using two presses at the same time they would have had to anyway. And the cost of a spare plate would be small compared to a production delay)

When Tassoni says “The film was sent to us,” Tassoni said. “All we had to do was strip it in.” To me that means they were sent negatives by Topps and their stripping department made the masks.
That really makes sense, especially if you consider the size of a sheet on the press. Shipping a bunch of negatives that big would have been a bit of a hassle.

Which leads into Dylans questions...

the backs would have only required two masks, one for the underlying color, and another for the black.
If one card didn't get a copyright notice, the correction would be to make a copyright notice negative, cut a window for it into the right spot on the mask and put that small negative in place. Probably with the red stripping tape, which would have been kept away from areas intended to print, like borders etc. Or the tape could have been trimmed once it was in place.

So what I think the sequence is -
1) Incorrect plate with no copyright
2) Correct plate with copyright
3? 2A?) The copyright ends up coming off the mask, leaving a nice rectangular hole, which since it's like the light part of the negative ends up as a printed area.
4) That problem is found, and the mask repaired.

Alternately-
A lot of the elements are sent as sort of clip art negatives. Including the copyright notices, and they're added individually.
except one gets forgotten, leaving the same sort of hole.
1) plate with the bar
2)Darn! can't send them out like that! Tape over that thing and make a new plate right away! = No bar, no copyright
3) Guys! it has to have a copyright! How long have we been printing them without it? Ummm….. Ok, I'll have stripping send you a new plate right away. = corrected version with copyright.

Theres some precedent for the secong maybe being right. The 81 fleer were probably done with clip art style borders, and regular scotch tape. You can see that tape in some of the pictures.

If the first is correct, there will possibly be two ever so slightly different correct versions.

*I did a drawing of the High School for the yearbook, and it came back from the yearbook company cut in half. The next school year the school dept wanted to do a print commemorating the remodeling of the school, and they had the place I had worked for do it (No surprise, they did a lot of printing for the town) I brought the original in and told them what was wanted, and they just said "no problem" Never got a proof of any kind.
The final prints were very nice, and they'd fixed some unevenness where the cut was. And on two different sorts of paper! Turns out they did it for free or almost, and used paper leftover from other jobs.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:54 AM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

So what I think the sequence is -
1) Incorrect plate with no copyright
2) Correct plate with copyright
3? 2A?) The copyright ends up coming off the mask, leaving a nice rectangular hole, which since it's like the light part of the negative ends up as a printed area.
4) That problem is found, and the mask repaired.

Alternately-
A lot of the elements are sent as sort of clip art negatives. Including the copyright notices, and they're added individually.
except one gets forgotten, leaving the same sort of hole.
1) plate with the bar
2)Darn! can't send them out like that! Tape over that thing and make a new plate right away! = No bar, no copyright
3) Guys! it has to have a copyright! How long have we been printing them without it? Ummm….. Ok, I'll have stripping send you a new plate right away. = corrected version with copyright.
This is very helpful info and much appreciated. It seems a very likely explanation for the card from a production error perspective and it may be all that there is to it. Have you completely ruled out there being a non-production-error reason to add, cover and/or remove the copyright line? Do you think there is any chance that the removal of the copyright was the final version?

I am not certain I can rule out other possibilities for the changes yet. I find it very unusual that Oliva, the only "fabricated card" of the TBC subjset that required a new card to be mocked-up had these issues while the other TBC cards on the same sheet (in close proximity to the Oliva), did not. This may be nothing but hard to ignore that there could be some connection to it.

After reading George Vrechek's interview with Mike Jasperson, I sent Mike an email in hopes that he had any info on the card. I'm doubtful that he would recall the card in any way but a lead on the production proof of the card could be very helpful and worth following. I dp recall several years back when Topps Vault was very active on ebay, regularly looking for proofs of the Oliva and coming up empty.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:34 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
This is very helpful info and much appreciated. It seems a very likely explanation for the card from a production error perspective and it may be all that there is to it. Have you completely ruled out there being a non-production-error reason to add, cover and/or remove the copyright line? Do you think there is any chance that the removal of the copyright was the final version?

I am not certain I can rule out other possibilities for the changes yet. I find it very unusual that Oliva, the only "fabricated card" of the TBC subjset that required a new card to be mocked-up had these issues while the other TBC cards on the same sheet (in close proximity to the Oliva), did not. This may be nothing but hard to ignore that there could be some connection to it.

After reading George Vrechek's interview with Mike Jasperson, I sent Mike an email in hopes that he had any info on the card. I'm doubtful that he would recall the card in any way but a lead on the production proof of the card could be very helpful and worth following. I dp recall several years back when Topps Vault was very active on ebay, regularly looking for proofs of the Oliva and coming up empty.
There are lots of things that might happen outside of a production error.

Like the copyright line could be wrong somehow, and need to be removed quickly. That could be done on the press by scratching/scraping a box where the copyright was on the plate. But that would be a short term measure, like if the stripping dept was only in on days and the problem was found and a correction demanded during second or third shift.
I figure both of those are very unlikely, since the demand for an immediate repair would probably have to come from Topps, and they would be closed as well. There would probably also be a few cards with the incorrect line. (How many times has any card co actually stopped all the copies of a card from getting out? )

As far as I know, the copyright back then was only about the card it was on. Not like today where a retired player sometimes has the permissions printed on the card back.
If the no copyright was last, why? The notice with the circled C is about a registered copyright. Even if they found out that particular one didn't go through all they would have had to do was stone off the circled C and keep printing. The created image was subject to copyright when it was created, even if it wasn't registered.
Of course, the whole copyright notice could be stoned off, it's pretty small so removing it would maybe take a couple minutes.
The only scenarios I can think of
1 )Topps didn't have permission to use the picture. Which is very unlike Topps. At least in the late 70's early 80's they contracted with photographers to take pictures and got whatever the photographer produced, or at least the bulk of it. I think the guy I met kept a few pics from each session he did, but he also collected cards.
They would have used a photo in their files that they already had the rights to.
2) Hmm... Maybe... Tony Oliva never signed a contract, so in a way the card wasn't actually licensed and maybe couldn't have a copyright? They removed the copyright notice instead of pulling the card. That would be pretty strange and I'd think it would have made the hobby press back then.
3) Topps messed up and never filed for a copyright.
All those would be really strange, considering how many layers of proofing and approvals Topps had. Bu then... stuff like the 79 Bump Wills still got through so maybe?

It might be worth trying to search the copyright database, if it never got a registered copyright you might find all the other cards except that one.

I'm thinking the production error is the most likely.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:36 PM
Steve Birmingham

BTW, since Topps not copyrighting a card in it's main set in one of the huge production years would be a unique or nearly unique situation I'm almost hoping I'm wrong and it's one of the latter Ideas or something stranger.

Tags
1989 topps, topps baseball, topps production info