NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-24-2021, 08:10 PM
Patrick N.

Default I finally caught up... (My '57 Topps BB Ted Williams)

So this was about 10 years ago. Was at the once/ yr national dealer show in Pittsburgh at Robert Morris college, about 200 tables. Was working 60 hours+/6 days a week at the post office nearby and had a chance to swing by the show early Sunday morning before I started work. My favorite set is '57 BB, I would typically balk at dealer raw prices anywhere near Beckett nm book value which at that time was still a factor. At these shows, I typically bought one or two "big" cards which for me were around $200-$300/ea. and another couple hundred on singles $1-50/ea. with a few to flip on eBay (high numbers, etc.).

Well, having struck out on the getting a big card a '64 Clemente PSA 8. I passed on it for like $350, now $1300. I saw comps on eBay for like $300 and this PSA 8 Clemente waa a litte o/c. Screw that, not paying extra just cause I'm at a show, was my thinking.... then, I passed by a table towards the exit as I was leaving without my big purchase yet and there was a fresh stack of raw '57 stars. Looking at my watch, I didn't have much time to dabble as work started in about an hour. But I flipped through the stack and the dealer mentioned "just bought this raw lot from a long time collector" kinda thing. Well, out jumped this beautifully centered Ted Williiams. I forget the sticker price but he was firm at $300 which for me was very high for a raw card with light corner wear. That said, I had to have this card and at a 6 or possible 7 would break even or so. ,

So I race to work pretty excited with my last pick-up. As I pulled into the parking garage at the large po distribution center, and gearing up for a long work day, I turned on my interior car lights to take a closer inspection of my big newest big pick-up and *BAM* there I see four or five noticeable "cat scratch" marks/gouges in the card. Man my heart sunk/boy was I floored. I just paid $300 for a $100 card, and I really wanted this one for the PC. So I went to work pretty discouraged/feeling I wasted my time and now had to report for this dead-end job. I did eventually submit the card, and somehow hung onto it over the years. 10 years later as I re-upped my VCP account, the value has finally caught up with my over-priced original purchase....

The point of this story is that for every failure if you are patient and learn from your mistakes it will all work out in the end....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1957's x4.jpg (75.4 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by mintacular; 11-24-2021 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:13 PM
Al Stein

Nice card and great story.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2021, 08:24 PM

That is a great card and man that thing has serious “eye appeal”

Great story!! Many of my life successes came from life experiences that were failures!!!
Old 11-24-2021, 10:23 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Love that card, and I have a personal story about an example as well, so it's dear to me.

Yours certainly looks like a blazer! Glad the value caught up...been there...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 11-25-2021, 06:02 AM
Albert Bee

Default 57

cool story
Old 11-29-2021, 01:02 PM
Matt

That is one fantastic example of eye appeal for the grade.