NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Default Ebay Live Auction Confusion

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I signed up last night for Phillip Weiss Live Ebay auction that was said to be running from Oct. 22 0700 pst to Oct. 23 0700. When I woke up this morning all the auctions had ended. What in the world happened? I always pasted on the signing up for the live auctions in the past but I thought I would give it a try this time, definately will be my last.
I read all the relavent stuff and still have no idea what is going on. I looked at the bid history and don't understand how they increased the bid price in the auctions.
I guess that is the last time I venture into Ebay live auctions, unless things get alot simplier.

Lee

Old 10-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

Jeez, I thought the auction was tonight. I just went through the live auction thing, then tried to sign up for the auction, with no luck. So I went to P&W's website, signed up there, went through every lot in the auction, and tried to put in a few bids only to be rejected each time.

I felt kinda dopey, until I read this post - I feel better now, thanks.

-Al

Old 10-22-2005, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

i signed up and logged on to monitor some lots and all of a sudden i had a notice i won a comic book! i never even bid, then i received some type of Java error message and had to restart my computer.

i have emailed them, but fear i might be stuck with a $600 comic book that i know nothing about and have zero interest in.

any suggestions.

scott

Old 10-22-2005, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Scott:

I hope it's a good comic book!

-Al

Old 10-22-2005, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: gary Nuchereno

I'll give you 20.00 for it if I haven't read it yet!

Old 10-23-2005, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...but I too was misled into thinking it was last night, only to find out they all ended prior to my logging on.

Old 10-23-2005, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I hate them when they are done with ebay. Ya never know what the hell is going on. You would think auction houses would want the process to be as simple as possible to lure in the most folks. Everytime I see a "live" auction on ebay I pretty much skip it. ......I know a lot of auction house folks read this board so maybe they will take a hint, unless they just don't care to make more money. regards.. btw, Scott- enjoy the comic....maybe you can use it for cat litter ..albeit expensive cat litter....

Old 10-23-2005, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Leon, I agree with you about Ebay's Liveauctions. I generally stay away, because they're cumbersome and confusing.

I managed to sneak in a few bids on the PW auction site yesterday afternoon. I believe the auction was yesterday, from what I can see. Almost all the bids I put in are showing up as high bid, with the auction closed, but I can't imagine that I won so many. Unfortunately I can't find a section of the site that lists the hammer prices of the auction items, nor can I find any sort of description anywhere on how this part of the auction works. Boy, if I won all this stuff I'll be pleased, but I can't imagine I did...

-Al

Old 10-23-2005, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Scott- just curious, which book did you win?
Bob

Old 10-23-2005, 04:36 PM
Administrator

police #32 whatever that is. i have emailed them in regards to the matter, but no response as yet.

scott

Old 10-23-2005, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

I registered a couple of days ago and put my bids in. I didn't win anything, but as far as I can tell on my watchlist they all ended when they said they were going to.

Old 10-23-2005, 08:03 PM
Administrator

When I log into my account, I am still showing as high bidder on 13 lots. I haven't received any notification of having won anything, though. I still cannot find closing prices anywhere on the site.

How can you tell you didn't win anything?

-Al

Old 10-23-2005, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Art M.

Al - just search Ebay for seller "pweissauctions" completed auctions. You can look at each auction and the bidders to see who won and the winning bid.

Old 10-23-2005, 08:37 PM
Administrator

There you go. Thanks, Art.

I won NOTHING.

-Al

Old 10-24-2005, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

Hey Scott, that's awesome - "Police" was famous for the Spirit and Plastic Man.

I alsohave had big problems with live auctions on ebay - the first one I participated in went great, but the last two didn't work at all and Philip Weiss ignored all emails. Ebay responded to my questions but kept telling me it was my computer's fault. So when this latest one hit, I just put in absentee bids and waited for the results (and I won!!!).

If you have ever done an ebay live auction, they are really a lot of fun - weird that only the first one worked for me.

Old 10-24-2005, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

I recently got the following note from "Skinner" auctions concerning an ebay lot I won. Anyone ever had to get their winnings this way? If so, do you have a better suggestion than the UPS store? Thanks.

"For the fastest shipping, we strongly recommend using a shipping agent such as the UPS Store at carlamarsh@hotmail.com or 978-369-5570. All shipping arrangements and payment for shipping should be made directly with the shipping agent. If you contact the shipper(s) with the sale & lot number, they should be able to give you a shipping quote. In order for us to release the item(s), you must provide us with the attached signed authorization indicating your choice of carrier. This will allow us to release your property to your designated shipper."

Old 10-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Administrator

as several of you know, somehow i or my computer placed an erroneous bid in the Phil Weiss Ebay auction. it was for a comic book, an area of which i have no interest or knowledge. i was somewhat perplexed on what to do. fully ready to back up the bid, which was over $600 hammer price for a comic that i had no idea what to do with. upon receiving my email invoice i explained the problem to them. they immeadiately emailed back and stated that they would make the situation right and remove it from my invoice(this was the only lot on the invoice). i had won items before but nothing in this auction.

this was something they did not have to do, but in doing so spoke volumes of their professionalism and ethics. i would highly reccommend them even enlight of the Ebay bidding problems, which probably are more of an Ebay issue than the auction companies as i imagine it runs on Ebays servers and software.

scott

Old 10-24-2005, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I hear that the eBay Live bidding works fine for those who go to the correct church. For the others, you have bigger concerns than whether your eBay bid went through on a baseball card.

Old 10-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

The only church I attend is the church of Baseball. That must be why it worked for me.

Old 10-24-2005, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I faithfully attend 2 am mass on the Tuesday Sabbath, so my bidding works fine.

Old 10-28-2005, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Philip Weiss

Thanks to everyone who helped make our auction a success. It is unfortunate that some of you were not able to bid live, or through our web site.

We are making an effort to clarify some things on our end, e.g., indicating for how long bids will be accepted through our web site. You can also call, fax, or e-mail your bids.

As far as the eBay live difficulties experienced by Scott, and some others, we have addressed our concerns with eBay.

Briefly, if you wish to bid on our auctions through our web site, you may do so up until 1 hour before the auction begins. To bid through eBay live, you should register at the latest, 1 day before the auction. When the auction starts, go to eBayliveauctions.com, click on our name, sign in, and a window will open showing the current lot being auctioned. You can also bid live on the phone if you prefer.

Thanks again,
Phil

Old 10-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe maples

Hey Scott, just checked out on-line comic price guide. Police #32, $550.00 for 9.4 value, but $3,850.00 for CGC graded copy. If this was a graded copy maybe you gave up a comic that you could have sold and bought some great vintage cards. Probably not though.

Joe