NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-21-2006, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Default Board member on fox news last night ??? very O/T

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

"Why is it that we can go on and on in off-topic threads (such as those on politics, bonds, etc) while actual on-topic threads get two or three responses and then die a slow death? That is really kind of pathetic."

These threads allow everyone to vent in a way that on-topic discussions don't. They're reflective of and symptomatic of, the anger abroad that was alluded to earlier. Even we harmless baseball card collectors aren't immune.

Old 10-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

right, but last time I checked, this was a vintage bb card board. Im sure there are other more appropriate places to vent. Im not, by the way, saying that Im immune to occassional off-topic posts.

Old 10-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am going to lock this thread around 8pm CST this evening. My motto of "moderation" is coming to an end for it. Please post what you want to on this subject until around then. I don't want anyone to implode from not getting to say what they want to. I have no issue with these threads every once in a while. It does get folks to know each other a little better (or worse ) .... It does distract from the board focus though and that is the only reason it will be locked later this evening. We can play again soon. We do have some very intelligent folks on the board. best regards

Old 10-21-2006, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

We are 10 days short of a "Big Election"....and I guess some of us are just getting short
on patience....whatever ?

But, I have to correct you on this....."Why is it that we can go on and on in off-topic
threads (such as those on politics, bonds, etc) while actual on-topic threads get two
or three responses and then die a slow death? That is really kind of pathetic."

In the past 6 monts we have had to very meaningful (and bashing-free) Threads. One
that exceeded 100 posts (regarding the E90-1 set). And, the more recent EPDG....Thread
which last time I checked was approaching 400 posts. It too, was free of any "bashing"
and resulted in some new discoveries regarding T206 cards.

T-Rex TED

Old 10-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

You are correct Ted - we have had a few meaninful on topic posts. Those with any significant discussion, however, come about almost as frequently as the off topic posts that reach into the 100s.

Old 10-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I think the most interesting aspect of this thread is how passionate people are in their beliefs and more important how divisive America is. That in itself is sad. And there are too many people who feel if you share my ideas you are wise, but if you criticize them you are just an idiot. I think America has a very long way to go.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

It will certainly be a fun journey, though, won't it Barry?

The thoughts in your post are exactly what I think is the very best thing about America. We're all allowed to have different opinions, we're allowed to debate them in a public forum, we're allowed to debate strongly and vocally.

Republican or Democrat, one thing I'm sure we can agree upon is that the freedom to have this thread (aside from the issue of whether or not it should be on a baseball card board), and attach our names to our thoughts, is a beautiful, amazing thing.

-Al

Old 10-21-2006, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Jeff, I fully understand that oil is not the only issue, but it is THE driving issue. Terrorism, WMDs and other things are just a good cover to hide the fact that want to keep the cheap oil flowing. Do you think we would have ignored Afghanastan if they had the oil reserves that Iraq does?

Scott, your stock portfolio increasing has little to do with middle class tax cuts. It ahs more to do with corporate welfare and tax cuts for the wealthy. Sit down and watch Lou Dobbs. He does a much better job of explaining it than I can. In a nutshell, since W took office, real wages are down 5% and the gap between the middle class has wider than ever.

Jim, we saw what deregulation of the energy industry did to CA and what happened with ENRON. Sadly, becuase of corporate greed and malfecence there needs to regulations in place otherwise we will end like we were in the early industrial age with businesses showing no concern for damage to the environment or the health and saftey of the people that work for them. Lord knows given today's corporate climate they wouldn't be doing any of that becuase it cuts into the bottom line. They do it because they have to. They wouldn't if they didn't. What shackles do the oil industry have? They are making records profits. So what's their excuse for not developing better resources and alternative fuels?

I agree that there should be a Manhattan Project for developing alternative energy sources. Just think, if we aren't dependent on oil we can tell everyone in the Middle East and Hugo Chavez to go take a flying leap and let them do what they will.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 10-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

JAY.....no wonder you are so "jaded" in your thinking.....tuning in to all that CNN
"propaganda". But, that is your perogative. CNN is the worst Anti-American media
outlet not only in the U.S.; but, you should hear the "B....S" they spew in Europe
via their CNN International network.

It's no wonder the Europeans hate us. And, ther have hated us....or more correctly
put....are jealous of us way before GWB became President. I know this for a fact
since I have traveled in Europe since the 1980's.

Tune in to Anderson Cooper tonite and you might just see a friend of yours getting
wounded or killed by terrorist in Iraq. That's the kind of despicable programing CNN
has deterioated to. They have obtained enemy filmed videos of terrorist snipers
shooting at our soldiers and showing them. Can a network get any sicker than that.

T-Rex TED

Old 10-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

I don't think this thread should be locked until Zell officially challenges Jay to a duel.

-Ryan

Old 10-21-2006, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Ok Ted,
I gave you an extra day to play with your friends, but you have to come in now and clean up your thermonuclear devices which you keep leaving around, and all of those chemicals which end in "-ax". Your room is positively a hazard.

And why did you put those big red Xs on the new topographical map of North Korea we just bought for you? And what is with these lists, and all of these wires and flashing lights?

Old 10-21-2006, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Ted, the only show I watch on CNN is Lou Dobbs. I am about as far from a dupe of the liberal media as you can get. I don't rely on one single source for my information, unlike the dim bulbs that live and die for Rush Limbaugh and his ilk. The best line I ever heard from Rush was, Turn off you mind. I'll tell you what to think. I also had him as a passanger in a limo I drove. Very interesting to hear how little he actually thought of his listeners.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 10-21-2006, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ScottIngold

I could not agree more Jay. That is the part about Rush. What is it they call themselve's ? Ditto heads or some nonsense like that.
Most of his followers are just that.

But i do agree with Ted about CNN. For all of the bashing here regarding Fox. They do seem to present both sides on issue's being discussed.

Sorry i started this thread. It was really just about Jeff in the beginning. But with such a bright community i guess this was inevitable.

It is nice to see the opposing views though...... EVEN THOUGH YOU ALL ARE WRONG EXCEPT FOR TED AND I.

Old 10-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Fox provides balanced reporting? They are about as far right in their reporting as CNN is claimed to be left leaning. The running joke I've heard about the 2 is Reps watch Fox and Dems watch CNN. About the only news show that I've seen with balanced reporting is the Lou Dobbs show.

Jay

Old 10-21-2006, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Scott: for my money, you and Ted are not too far afield. But the guy who seems to really have it figured here (other than drc1) is Bryan Long.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Scott,

I agree with you and Zell. It's absolutely outrageous that CNN got actors to portray soldiers and made up footage they filmed and then broadcast on air! In fact, I would think that sort of thing is illegal, isn't it? Why are we the only ones who are so upset about it? I mean, it's not like we're complaining about CNN showing actual footage of an actual war that's actually happening where American soldiers are actually dying. Right? I mean, that kind of footage would be considered newsworthy by truthseekers like us, right? Geez, kids today!

It's a good thing we've got a fair and balanced news source like Fox News that will give us the straight story. The real deal. Unbiased and objective reporting with no affiliation to a policital party or administration, whatsoever. Ask Tony Snow. He'll tell you we're right.

We're all progressive and modern men who are just as capable as the young kids in dealing with a changing world. I mean, we're practically technogeeks using cutting edge technology to get our Fox News not only from the television, but from the Fox News Website as well. We self-educate via the internet. THAT'S how modern we are!

Why, when I was a kid I had to walk up hill both ways in the snow just to get objective news reporting, but I'm all the better for it.

I have to admit, I thought we were pretty different, but through those insightful posts you've both made, you won me over.

Hardcore right-winger forever,

-Ryan

Old 10-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

There was a recent study done that showed that over 90% of the mainstream media were democrats. It influences how they all present the story. CBS, NBC, ABC,NY Times,Boston Globe, Washington Post, LA Times--they all are biased against Bush and the republicans

Fox is the only ones who are fair and balanced. Its in their name. I like Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly most of the time....and I love Ann Coulter..go get em Ann.

Have never voted for a democrat in my life.

Jim

Old 10-21-2006, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ScottIngold

Ryan,

Some more tongue n cheek please.

Here here Jim...... Ann is a little over the top though.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I debated to myself, the locking of this thread or not. On one hand it's not that big of a deal. On the other hand folks start talking politics . This isn't really a politics board but we do have opinions on the subject and it's nice to discuss them every once in a while. I always defer to core elemental aspects of collecting. Jefferson Burdick eloquently stated in the opening paragraph of the American Card Catalogue (ACC):

"A Card Collection is a magic carpet that takes you away from work-a-day cares to havens of relaxing quietude where you can relive the pleasures and adventures of a past day- brought to life in vivid picture and prose".

I am not sure politics fits in with what he was trying to convey....and with that we get back to our regularly scheduled programming...
regards