NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It's one thread, I don't think a new board is needed for one thread. I hope we convert some of them to Pre-WWII but most of their talk is poppage and ripping packs, which is fine, but not really our main game. I already see it dying down and there are some really good conversations going on, on the front page. Can you tell I am beating my drum?

That's a beautiful Drum you are beating there Leon.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 01-29-2013, 10:34 AM

Default Wagner

I am highly confident that if Ken Kendrick wanted PSA to take back the card that they would if the Mastro allegations are proven to be true beyond a reasonable doubt. PSA stands behind its product. It is my understanding that Ken likes the story and mystique around "The Card" though and has no intention of unloading it. He has a wonderful collection and the Wagner, while a trophy card, is an insignificant % of his net worth.

There is a reason that Merkel, Branca, Spence, Ireland, and other great collectors are either pure PSA guys or predominantly so. And Fogel is exclusively a PSA guy, never have seen any of his cards in other holders.

In any event, it is not my job to defend PSA, but I do believe that over time rare, vintage, and iconic PSA graded cards, especially at the top of the condition scale, will continue to be in high demand.

BTW, if anybody can locate any of the following cards for me in PSA 9 it would be much appreciated, not an easy wantlist:

1948 Leaf Musial
1948 Leaf J Robinson
1951 Bowman Ford
1951 Bowman Mays
1951 Bowman Mantle
1952 Topps Matthews
1954 Bowman Williams
1955 Topps Snider

EOMINT
Old 01-29-2013, 10:41 AM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I am the originator of the thread. The thread was never made to bash PSA. The thread was talking about the steady decline of theme and character of the PSA boards, to the point that the board now needs "chaperones" to get rid of the wild west mentality that has long prevailed on the boards, because some members refuse to act like adults. I'm sorry if you misconstrued it as a bashing of PSA. I don't bash PSA. I like PSA. Sure, they make mistakes like the rest of us. I don't have anything against them though. At least if I know I am sending them something, I am going to get it back (wink wink @ GAI).
Why did you bring this up on these boards and NOT post it on the PSA boards? It seems to me you would find a whole lot of people over there that would actually care about this subject. I swear sometimes you just cannot see the forest for the trees!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

EOMINT- As you well know all of your opinions are fine and dandy. You are very close to needing to put your full name out here though. Reason being, how do we know you don't work for PSA? I like PSA and have nothing against them at all. It could be any company or person, same rules for everyone.
Personally, I think SGC and BVG grade vintage better but that is just my biased and experienced opinion. Everyone has one. Just be careful in what you say if you don't want to put your name out here. Also, some anonymous POS tattled on you right before your last post... I can't stand anonymity so would almost do the opposite of what someone tells me to do, if they are anonymous. But with your last post I felt the need to let you know. No worries, just be careful and welcome to the forum.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:51 AM

Default I will refrain from any further posts

I'm not even sure what tattleling means in this context, but I am an independent collector with no affiliation to any grading company whatsoever. But this will be my final post. Thank you Leon for admitting me to this forum, I just dont think it's for me. Happy collecting to everyone!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:52 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Eomint's pretty well known on the PSA boards, btw, especially for having an incredibly nice collection. I'm almost positive he doesn't work for PSA. He still may need to put his full name, however, for any controversial posts if Leon decides, of course.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomint View Post
I'm not even sure what tattleling means in this context, but I am an independent collector with no affiliation to any grading company whatsoever. But this will be my final post. Thank you Leon for admitting me to this forum, I just dont think it's for me. Happy collecting to everyone!
They told me that you need to have your full name in your posts. They were anonymous so I could care less.
Independent collector, President of the US, grader, manager at a TPG, person that stumbled on our board....it's all the same for the rules. And as I said earlier, I am sure this influx of new visitors will thin out over time. A lot of people don't want to have their name in the public domain so this forum isn't best for them. Also, we are mainly a vintage forum and most collectors don't collect vintage. But our goal is for everyone to!! Good luck in your endeavors EOMINT. Don't be shy about posting but remember if you give opinions of a person or company your name needs to be in your post. thanks again
Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
There is a reason that Merkel, Branca, Spence, Ireland, and other great collectors are either pure PSA guys or predominantly so. And Fogel is exclusively a PSA guy, never have seen any of his cards in other holders.
Bobby is also a PSA collector, or was.

There is no such thing as a 'great' collector. We all end up in the same place, just some get mahogany and some get pine.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:16 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post

There is no such thing as a 'great' collector. We all end up in the same place, just some get mahogany and some get pine.
I would have given this a +1, but I'm offended because people like me, with a particle board collection, weren't included.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:35 PM
Jeff

What is a great collector? In the context used it seems to also
mean great customer.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 01-29-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:41 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
+1 very well said, Scott.

We do not own cards or anything else in life. We're simply borrowing it for a short time. One day, someone else will have our "stuff." We will all leave this life with exactly what we brought into it.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

BTW, those collectors you listed aren't even that great. Some of the most mind boggling amazing collections out there are pretty private.

-Matt Hall

Edit: I mean no disrespect to any of the names on your list.

I also don't mean any disrespect toward flip collecting.

Last edited by Matthew H; 01-29-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Sometime's it's hard to beat the classics.

We do need to thank eomint for planting the seed of "greatness" in our minds. I always feel vaguely discomfortable when someone expresses petty jealousy over one of the deep-pockets guy's posting of a very expensive auction win. But I feel similar discomfort when someone else tells them what a "great job" they did buying something that simply took a nice bank account. Admittedly, there are a few guys on this board that WILL win certain items, and some of us don't bother bidding against them. On the other hand, the fact that we know which items they will bid on, implies that they are selective and minimally have good taste.

So what is greatness in a hobby? There is no such thing. If we are going to judge someone as a hobbyist (which we probably should not), it should be for their contributions. Their collections are merely things that will some day be broken up and disbursed to younger people in the hobby, who may or may not be all that "great". Of course, I state the above as someone who, if judged for his collection, would be an insect, or at best, a small mammal.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:

We do need to thank eomint for planting the seed of "greatness" in our minds. I always feel vaguely discomfortable when someone expresses petty jealousy over one of the deep-pockets guy's posting of a very expensive auction win. But I feel similar discomfort when someone else tells them what a "great job" they did buying something that simply took a nice bank account. Admittedly, there are a few guys on this board that WILL win certain items, and some of us don't bother bidding against them. On the other hand, the fact that we know which items they will bid on, implies that they are selective and minimally have good taste.

So what is greatness in a hobby? There is no such thing. If we are going to judge someone as a hobbyist (which we probably should not), it should be for their contributions. Their collections are merely things that will some day be broken up and disbursed to younger people in the hobby, who may or may not be all that "great". Of course, I state the above as someone who, if judged for his collection, would be an insect, or at best, a small mammal.

Who was that member that used to brag about having like, a million PSA 8s? He almost never mentioned anything about the actual cards, just that they were PSA 8s... Anyway, I can't remember his name but I think it is he who is the greatest collector.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Rob G.

funny how much value can be placed upon a card that is entombed in plastic with a flip on it reading "Mint" yet when that SAME card is removed from the plastic, its value changes

isn't it the same card?

if you have a set graded "MINT" by a TPG, then remove the cards from their plastic holders, aren't they the SAME CARDS? Its like some people don't believe a card is a card unless its covered plastic with his/her favorite TPG stamp on it.

Didn't we all grow up collecting cardboard? Whats happened to that? Isn't it still cardboard?

Last edited by tiger8mush; 01-29-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

I feel like posting that as a sticky, Scott. Very well said!!

My saying, that I stole from someone but I don't remember who, is-

When we are on our deathbed it won't matter what we have (materially), it will matter more what we have done.

I will be here till Thursday please tip the bartender on the way out.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:52 PM
Geordie Calvert

A man's tombstone typically has the year he was born and the year he dies, with a dash in the middle. A question worth thinking about... what did you do (or are you doing) with your dash?

Certainly cardboard is our commond bond, but I find some of the relationships I've gained on various boards to be worth far more than the cardboard that brought us together.

'Course, the opposite also applies. I'm certainly sorry the common bond of cardboard brought certain people into my life. I could have definitely done without "meeting" them. On the flip, I'm certain the same could be said of me. It all depends on the perspective of the individual.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:58 PM
$cotty @.utin

If PSA were to grade me I'd probably come back a 4(O/C)

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 01-29-2013, 03:05 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I like PSA. Sure, they make mistakes like the rest of us. I don't have anything against them though. At least if I know I am sending them something, I am going to get it back (wink wink @ GAI).
Tell that to Dan McKee.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:11 PM
bubblebathgirl

"Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo"
Old 01-29-2013, 03:17 PM
Geordie Calvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblebathgirl View Post
"Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo"
God, I admire you. (Mr. Poon, a.k.a Irwin Fletcher)

Last edited by TNP777; 01-29-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:18 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I feel like posting that as a sticky, Scott. Very well said!!
You just liked hearing me describe myself as an insect

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Bobby Porter

I can not believe this thread is still going.

Last edited by BPorter26; 01-29-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:28 PM
De.rek Pul.atie

Here is the jist of what I've learned from this thread.
Dont waste your time reading it. It has nothing to do with anything.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:32 PM
$c0tt A1p@ug.h

We are all just moons circling the respective planets in the hobby. Fault comes when some think that they are the sun... Sadly, they usually end up a supernova.

Collecting: 1948 Leaf Football Master Set (PSA 7 or better - PSA 6 or better for High Numbers), 1948 Leaf Football White Backgrounds, 1948 Leaf Football On-card Autographs, Wire Photos or Original Photos depicting images used for the 1948 Leaf Football issue -- circa 1880-1909 Football cabinets

Last edited by OTWCards; 01-29-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 AM
banned
Bi.ll Hol.ler

Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTWCards View Post
We are all just moons circling the respective planets in the hobby. Fault comes when some think that they are the sun... Sadly, they usually end up a supernova.
Just like BBG, that is deep

EDIT TO ADD: Bill Holler

Last edited by lsutigers1973; 01-30-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:59 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
Who was that member that used to brag about having like, a million PSA 8s? He almost never mentioned anything about the actual cards, just that they were PSA 8s... Anyway, I can't remember his name but I think it is he who is the greatest collector.
Must be a lot of 1980-90's cards Must have submitted them in bulk with a few vintage 50-70 to get the perk +1-2 grade bump that PSA gives on cards.

Member since 2009
Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 AM
$cotty @.utin

What was the essence of this thread? Oh yeah, shaddy selling practices.

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 01-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-30-2013, 12:25 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I'm your huckleberry......
Old 01-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Jeff

Must be headed back to where the "great" collectors hang out.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Old 01-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Must be headed back to where the "great" collectors hang out.

Are those PSA GPA's !?! Then I guess I'm wrong

Last edited by Runscott; 01-30-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:08 PM

Eomint came on and seemed to be very polite and measured in expressing his opinions. Others are free to disagree, but does it have to be mean and childish?
JimB
Old 01-30-2013, 01:36 PM
Jeff

Jim,
Don't disagree totally but when you are here for 2 days and 2 posts and express your hope that the board would evolve into constructive dialogue about the hobby and you make note of "great" collectors I think you might open yourself up for some good natured ribbing.

JeffD

Old 01-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Matt Hall

You're probably right Jim, but his "last post" seemed a bit condescending in my overly sensitive mind.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Jim,
Don't disagree totally but when you are here for 2 days and 2 posts and express your hope that the board would evolve into constructive dialogue about the hobby and you make note of "great" collectors I think you might open yourself up for some good natured ribbing.

JeffD
I am a member of the CU boards and read them most days. The amount of actual info there vs here is not in the same league, imo. I would politely have to disagree with EOMINT on that. I think EOMINT is probably a real nice guy and didn't mean anything too negative by his comments. (see me taking the high road)
Old 01-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
Eomint came on and seemed to be very polite and measured in expressing his opinions. Others are free to disagree, but does it have to be mean and childish?
JimB
No, he was condescending, just as you are being. I understand the appeal, but for that you get....

Old 01-30-2013, 02:04 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
I am a member of the CU boards and read them most days. The amount of actual info there vs here is not in the same league, imo. I would politely have to disagree with EOMINT on that. I think EOMINT is probably a real nice guy and didn't mean anything too negative by his comments. (see me taking the high road)
I dont think I can agree with you more Leon. There was a time the CU boards had some great people over there with unbelieveable hobby knowledge but it seems the boards over there have degenerated into a place that is just a step above the Blowout boards and many times they are right there in the gutter with them.

I am still a member there and will post on occasion as there are some decent people I respect and like and can appreciate their knowledge but it has certainly become less "fun" to hang out there.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:17 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I think the problem that EOMINT is running into regarding this board, is threads like this one. I think he just came on board at the wrong time, and possibly for the wrong reasons. Most other boards tend to make threads like this go away, and it's understandable, because these types of topics can get very heated, and tend to turn people off and/or piss them off. I will admit that sometimes they get out of hand, but that's ultimately besides the point.

Wanting to avoid it is fine and dandy, however neglecting to acknowledge that threads like this are sometimes necessary in the hobby isn't. These type of threads often result in more good in the overall scheme of things, than they do bad. Sure they may make someone look bad, but then again, if that person or company didn't do something worth pointing out, then the whole thing would be unnecessary..

The fact that these type of things needed to be pointed out is the "bad" thing, NOT pointing them out and/or discussing them..

The problem here is that the TPAs have worked themselves into a position where they are somewhat large part of this hobby, and some people fear that tearing them down for their faults is bad for the hobby. The value of many collections out there are pretty much based on the legitimacy of the TPGs. And tearing them down WILL hurt a lot of collectors and/or general interest in the hobby. Maybe short-term this could be a bad thing. But long term, straightening out these issues is best for all involved.

Last edited by novakjr; 01-30-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Belltown Vintage

I think eomint is intelligent enough to realize that these anti-PSA threads were started by disgruntled PSA'ers who were run off the PSA forum. Those people (like Bobby) are only here to complain about PSA - not to contribute to vintage card discussions. You'll also notice that these anti-PSA threads have brought quite a few <50 posters out of the woodwork who I bet are also, for the most part, disgruntled PSA'ers who have very little interest in vintage cards.

In essence, these threads are not vintage card collectors discussing PSA-encapsulated vintage cards and bashing them. We used to have a lot of that - now, not so much. It wasn't fun, so we stopped.

Most of the stuff posted since eomint announced his leaving (with a minor parting shot at this board) has been joking around, not PSA-bashing. I really don't see what the big deal is.

Last edited by Runscott; 01-30-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Jeff

Quote:
You're probably right and the ribbing again from my POV was pretty good natured. I think Scott hit an important nail on the head, there is a fear in some quarters about people continuing to point out the seeming shortcomings of TPG. Particularly among people who have collected numbers in addition to cards. I meant no ill will, I just thought he took a back handed shot at this board. Also I will agree, I used to frequent the CU boards for awhile, not much there for me and the amount of actual info there is (IMO) significantly less than here.

Edit to add: I am not entirely disinterested either as I have several hundred slabbed cards.

Last edited by HRBAKER; 01-30-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Ken Wirt

Quote:

The secret of 54???
Old 01-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwak View Post
The secret of 54???
SHHHHHH!!!! (Frank will kill me for giving away the answer!)
Old 01-30-2013, 05:50 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
SHHHHHH!!!! (Frank will kill me for giving away the answer!)
Take off your shoes, Scott.

My hearing isn't all that good.

Feel free to share your secret on the other thread.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:51 PM

Default Just to Clarify

I do appreciate the need for an independent site such as this and that a forum exists for folks to share their views uncensored as long as they are not libelous of course.

In terms of my citing "great collectors" i probably should have worded it more carefully as there seems to be same 99%/1% divide on this board that is dividing the entire country. What I meant to say is that many of those who have arguably some of the rarest and most valuable stuff have entrusted their collection to PSA. That is a fact, not an opinion. That does not diminish in any way, however, the fact that there are a ton of of other passionate collectors out there who are great people.

I think it's pretty obvious that we all eventually die and cant take our cards with us and that material things are not the measure of an individual.

Love the debate, love free speech, dont love the feeling of hostility some (not all) convey.

Thanks,

EOMINT
Old 01-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Al Richter

Default Cards

I am currently debating whether or not to take my cards along with me.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
In terms of my citing "great collectors" i probably should have worded it more carefully as there seems to be same 99%/1% divide on this board that is dividing the entire country.

EOMINT

I think you need to look further than the PSA registry leader boards before you decide where the 1% is.

It's not really a debate. You simply don't know what you're talking about.
The people at the top of those "leader boards" are really just people that want to be hobby celebrities. They don't have the best stuff out there, that's a fact.

I personally don't hate people who have positioned themselves, in life, where the can amass spectacular collections. I feel lucky to know some people like that, and by knowing whats out there, I simply can't force myself to consider a bunch of "#1 Topps sets", or the "#1 T206 set" anything to call great. I know I sound like an ass, but I'm pretty sure buying high grade topps cards is a waste of money. People are paying wayyyy too high a premium for someones opinion on a card.

Matt Hall
Old 01-30-2013, 06:16 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

PSA does rule especially with resale value, no contest. T206 values are not even close between PSA and SGC. While I have alot graded by both companies, the values are not even close. Not trying to stick up for our newest member (eomint), but he is spot on pertaining PSA....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 01-30-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

What I meant to say is that many of those who have arguably some of the rarest and most valuable stuff have entrusted their collection to PSA. That is a fact, not an opinion

like your 55 Clemente 10?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:30 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Another thing pertaining T206s, PSA is much stricter on grading than SGC. I have many SGC 84's and 86's that would never even cross to PSA 6 or 6.5's....Sorry, but it is what it is......

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 01-30-2013 at 06:35 PM.