NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-22-2011, 05:18 PM

Default George Mogridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Judging by the crowd, I'd guess he's warming up at Griffith Stadium during the world series, perhaps before game seven in which he played such a key role, holding the Giants for 5 innings and serving as the linchpin to Bucky Harris's outmaneuvering of John McGraw to get Bill Terry out of the game so the Nats righthanders Fred Marberry and (if needed) Walter Johnson wouldn't have to face the Giants rookie who had been tearing them up all series. What's on the back, Scott? And did this come from Keating, whom I saw pick up a great collection of vintage Senators signed photos at the National?
Hank Thomas
Hi Hank,
Thanks for your quick response!

Unfortunately I don't have the photo in hand yet, so I will have to wait to respond about what's on the back until I get it in a few days. Good sleuthing on your part. Yes, this photo did come from Kevin Keating.

Amazingly, all of these 1924 Senators photos from this collection did walk up to his booth at the National. There were several other 1924 Senators signed photos (same photographer) including Fred Marberry. Kevin indicated that each photo had a very small amount of tape present that was used to mount these photos in a frame or frames. This probably provided the protection that kept these photos in such great condition through the years.

How cool would it be if this photo was shot during the pivotal clinching game 7? Wow, neat!

BTW, I did ask Kevin if there was a Walter Johnson in the group and he said there wasn't unfortunately. Imagine what a great signed photo it would be if it exists! I would love to see it if anyone owns it or knows of it's whereabouts....

I'll keep you posted....

Last edited by Scott Garner; 08-23-2011 at 04:08 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:39 PM

Default 1902 Mogul Cigarettes Yale Football Poster

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

16" tall x 11" wide
1902 Mogul Cigarettes Yale Football Poster

I picked this up right after I got home from the National...Has anyone ever seen football cards associated with this poster?

I've done some cursory...haven't found any cards but there's a player on there named James J. Hogan who became perhaps the biggest name in football during his playing days at Yale from 1901-1905...so much so he became a kind of a national whipping boy/example for college inducements reform...the cry was he was getting such good treatment from Yale and others he was basically not an amature...among other perks he was getting a percentage of every pack of Mogul cigs sold in New Haven....and was responisible for getting them offered in Morey's, the exclusive students restaurant club in New Haven...

It's printed on card stock...and the seller said it came out of an attic where it was rolled, presumably since it's era....so I have to work on getting it flattened out...Pretty exciting piece for me, never seen it before...I feel a story coming on!

Old 08-22-2011, 05:48 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Congrats Scott...Nice pic and signature.

My two newest acquisitions... 2 Gehrig Type 1s

1937 Lou putting on make up for a screen test.

1933 Newlyweds celebrating their marriage.
Thanks DanC for the deal.

Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 08-23-2011, 03:50 AM

Default Mogridge

Thanks Doug and Mark V.!
Old 08-23-2011, 11:08 AM
J@RR0D

I'm really excited about this. I just struck a deal this morning to get this original 1960 Topps Flexichrome of Harmon Killebrew & Rocky Colavito. Made to be released as a duo card in the 1960 set but scrapped for whatever reason.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:33 AM
Graig Kreindler

VERY cool, Jarrod!
Old 08-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Hank Thomas

Default 1924 Series Game 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Hi Hank,
Thanks for your quick response!

Unfortunately I don't have the photo in hand yet, so I will have to wait to respond about what's on the back until I get it in a few days. Good sleuthing on your part. Yes, this photo did come from Kevin Keating.

Amazingly, all of these 1924 Senators photos from this collection did walk up to his booth at the National. There were several other 1924 Senators signed photos (same photographer) including Fred Marberry. Kevin indicated that each photo had a very small amount of tape present that was used to mount these photos in a frame or frames. This probably provided the protection that kept these photos in such great condition through the years.

How cool would it be if this photo was shot during the pivotal clinching game 7? Wow, neat!

BTW, I did ask Kevin if there was a Walter Johnson in the group and he said there wasn't unfortunately. Imagine what a great signed photo it would be if it exists! I would love to see it if anyone owns it or knows of it's whereabouts....

I'll keep you posted....
Bert Sugar, among others, has game 7 of the 1924 World Series as the greatest single baseball game ever played. My book has an entire chapter devoted to it, of course. And speaking of it and the National, I picked up a gorgeous original panorama of both teams and thousands of spectators taken just before the game. There's 19 or 20 Hall of Famers, plus President Coolidge, in this spectacular photo, which is in the original frame with a 1920s D.C. frame shop sticker on the back. Also my grandfather, grandmother, great-grandmother, and a couple of great-uncles, so it's something of a family picture for me. Here it is sitting on the floor of Tony Arnold's booth waiting for me to come along and spot it. Tony told me it was on the floor because he hadn't realized it didn't have a wire on the back. You can see the space he had made for it at the top of his backdrop. For the price he was asking, there's no way it would have still been there by the time I made it by his booth had it been properly displayed. There's nothing like the National!

http://sportsantiques.com/2011Nation...4_1200x900.jpg
Old 08-23-2011, 04:19 PM

Default Awesome pickup there Hank!!

[QUOTE=Hankphenom;919554]Bert Sugar, among others, has game 7 of the 1924 World Series as the greatest single baseball game ever played. My book has an entire chapter devoted to it, of course. And speaking of it and the National, I picked up a gorgeous original panorama of both teams and thousands of spectators taken just before the game. There's 19 or 20 Hall of Famers, plus President Coolidge, in this spectacular photo, which is in the original frame with a 1920s D.C. frame shop sticker on the back. Also my grandfather, grandmother, great-grandmother, and a couple of great-uncles, so it's something of a family picture for me. Here it is sitting on the floor of Tony Arnold's booth waiting for me to come along and spot it. Tony told me it was on the floor because he hadn't realized it didn't have a wire on the back. You can see the space he had made for it at the top of his backdrop. For the price he was asking, there's no way it would have still been there by the time I made it by his booth had it been properly displayed. There's nothing like the National!

Awesome pickup there Hank! I would love to see a better closeup of it if you ever get the time to take a picture of it.

BTW, if the photo of Geo Mogridge is from the World Series, it definately is from game 7. Mogridge got his World Series win in game 4 at New York. As you know, game 7 is the only other World Series game that he pitched in. I will have to reread your chapter on the 1924 WS soon. I know that I've told you this before, but I really love your book on your grandfather.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Hank Thomas

Thanks for the kind words, Scott, always appreciated!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:15 PM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Congrats Scott...Nice pic and signature.

My two newest acquisitions... 2 Gehrig Type 1s

1937 Lou putting on make up for a screen test.

That is a great photo, Mark! If you decide to let that one go, please give me a shout.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:57 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Just got in the mail today a letter written in 1941 from Joe "Moon" Harris! He played for the Yankees in 1914 and then the 1927 Pirates and passed away in 1959.

Last edited by mschwade; 08-24-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:18 PM

Default George Mogridge 1924 signed photo- update

Quote:
Judging by the crowd, I'd guess he's warming up at Griffith Stadium during the world series, perhaps before game seven in which he played such a key role, holding the Giants for 5 innings and serving as the linchpin to Bucky Harris's outmaneuvering of John McGraw to get Bill Terry out of the game so the Nats righthanders Fred Marberry and (if needed) Walter Johnson wouldn't have to face the Giants rookie who had been tearing them up all series. What's on the back, Scott? And did this come from Keating, whom I saw pick up a great collection of vintage Senators signed photos at the National?
Hank Thomas
Hank, I received my 1924 George Mogridge signed photo today. It looks really nice up close. I have rescanned it and have attached the new image below.

The good news is that I have solved one of the riddles. The photo was taken by George W. Harris of Harris & Ewing photographic studio. You can see their brand at the bottom left corner of the photo. Harris & Ewing shot many photos of people, events and architecture primarily in the Washington DC area between 1905 and 1945.

In 1955 Harris donated 700,000 of his negatives to the Library of Congress. Reprints of many of these images are available for sale. I checked to see if my image or any of these other images of the 1924 World Series were available on their website, but no dice. Anyway, at least I know who shot the photo.

FWIW, in looking carefully at the photo, I'm in agreement with you that I believe that this photo was taken of Mogridge warming up prior to game 7 of the 1924 World Series.

BTW Hank: I reread your chapter on Game 7 of the 1924 World Series. No doubt that this had to be one of the greatest baseball games ever played because of so many different reasons. Thanks for reminding me to reread the chapter to note the significance!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 08-25-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Hank Thomas

Default Mogridge photo

Reportedly, Mogridge warmed up under the stands before the 7th game as part of Bucky Harris's strategy to get Bill Terry out of the game, but anything's possible. The photo is certainly from 1924, the only year they wore those beautiful white unis, and I'm guessing it was taken sometime during the series. He's not necessarily warming up to pitch that day, perhaps just limbering up at another home game of the series. Harris and Ewing were the gold standard for D.C. photographers in that period. Fabulous memento from the Nats only championship season--so far.
Hank
Old 08-26-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Reportedly, Mogridge warmed up under the stands before the 7th game as part of Bucky Harris's strategy to get Bill Terry out of the game, but anything's possible. The photo is certainly from 1924, the only year they wore those beautiful white unis, and I'm guessing it was taken sometime during the series. He's not necessarily warming up to pitch that day, perhaps just limbering up at another home game of the series. Harris and Ewing were the gold standard for D.C. photographers in that period. Fabulous memento from the Nats only championship season--so far.
Hank
Thanks Hank! It's great having a guy like you on this board with so much Washington DC baseball knowledge.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:02 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default 1919 Sox

This is the 2nd one of these I've now found, sold the 1st one and kind of regretted it, but lucky to now have found a 2nd one in the past 5 years.

Great condition too, better then my previous one, so happy about that. (12x18" & has all 8 men out)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blacksox1919.jpg (71.0 KB, 257 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 08-29-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:43 PM

The Bob Prince photo and the Kittaning football and basketball pictures are from an antique fair. The Clemente foldout is from a flea market:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bob Prince and the Pirates.jpg (74.2 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg Kittaning basketball.jpg (75.3 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg Kittaning football.jpg (76.5 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg Clemente.jpg (74.9 KB, 230 views)
Old 08-31-2011, 08:14 PM
Vincent Hecksel

Default 2011 has just become a successful collecting year

2011 has now officially (for me) become a successful collecting year, on account of finally acquiring a item on my want list.

This afternoon I had in hand an item signed by turn-of-the-century ballplayer John Joseph (Jack) Warner. The item was purchased earlier this month from autograph dealer Jim Stinson but wasn't shipped for a couple of weeks, due to an overseas trip by Jim. It was difficult to patiently wait for the arrival of this item.

This "Jack" Warner (not to be confused with the more common John R. "Jack" Warner) played in 1,073 major league games, over 14 seasons, with the Boston Beaneaters (1895), Louisville Colonels (1895–96), New York Giants (1896–1901, 1903–04), Boston Americans (1902), St. Louis Cardinals (1905), Detroit Tigers (1905–06), and Washington Senators (1906–08). I am only familiar with his image appearing on two vintage cardboard issues (E107 Breisch-Williams, W600 Sporting Life) but perhaps there were more. Regardless, today, I'm all smiles.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:21 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Default Gunner photo

Brian
Thanks for posting the Bob Prince photo. That's a beauty.
Mark
Old 08-31-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexsHeroes View Post

2011 has now officially (for me) become a successful collecting year, on account of finally acquiring a item on my want list.

This afternoon I had in hand an item signed by turn-of-the-century ballplayer John Joseph (Jack) Warner. The item was purchased earlier this month from autograph dealer Jim Stinson but wasn't shipped for a couple of weeks, due to an overseas trip by Jim. It was difficult to patiently wait for the arrival of this item.

This "Jack" Warner (not to be confused with the more common John R. "Jack" Warner) played in 1,073 major league games, over 14 seasons, with the Boston Beaneaters (1895), Louisville Colonels (1895–96), New York Giants (1896–1901, 1903–04), Boston Americans (1902), St. Louis Cardinals (1905), Detroit Tigers (1905–06), and Washington Senators (1906–08). I am only familiar with his image appearing on two vintage cardboard issues (E107 Breisch-Williams, W600 Sporting Life) but perhaps there were more. Regardless, today, I'm all smiles.
Vincent,

Congrats on the Jack Warner. That's a toughee!
Old 08-31-2011, 09:32 PM

I have picked up a TON of new stuff, but I discovered this in a junk pile at the National. Previously unknown photo of the 1919 World Series, Warm Ups before Game 1! Miutes before the "Fix was on". Lots of detail under magnification including pre-game festivities like a Reds player and a White Sox player getting their picture taken together, Kid Gleason chatting it up along the third base line etc.

Rhys

CLOSE UPS IN NEXT POST
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1919ws.jpg (74.9 KB, 133 views)

Last edited by prewarsports; 08-31-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:34 PM

Close Ups.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1919ws1.jpg (76.5 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg 1919ws2.jpg (57.6 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg 1919ws3.jpg (50.1 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg 1919ws4.jpg (75.6 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg 1919ws5.jpg (74.5 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg 1919ws6.jpg (74.0 KB, 242 views)
Old 09-01-2011, 05:43 AM
Graig Kreindler

Rhys,

That shot is completely bad@$$. What a great narrative it shows, even without the back-story of the '19 Series fiasco. It was probably taken some minutes before this happened (not mine, btw), too:

It makes me really wonder what the real atmosphere was like before that first game, both on the field and in the stands...one can only wonder what was going through the players' minds.

You really found that one in a junk pile?

Graig
Old 09-01-2011, 11:37 AM

I just bought it as "c. 1915 Major League Snapshot" and did not even really take a close look at it until AFTER I bought it! It is weird to look at it and wonder what was going through people's minds minutes before the most infamous moment in Baseball History.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Joe Hunter

Default Aug Pickups

It was a very good day at the antique show/toy show last weekend. Includes: 1951 Yankees WS pennant, 1940's White Sox pennant, 1960's Twins Harmon Killebrew picture pennant, 1962 Topps empty wax box, 1940's Esso Babe Ruth "Shook Hands" pin, early KC Chiefs stadium pin, 1970? NFL Iron Ons display sheet, group of 7 1960's Johnny Olympic Hero Uniform sets, 1940's ? National Baseball Congress baseball w/box, 1950's womens golf trophy, 1964 KC A's rulers. At about $130.00 total, I'm calling it a good deal!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1226.jpg (76.7 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1228.jpg (77.5 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1230.jpg (77.1 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1227.jpg (77.0 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1229.jpg (76.3 KB, 158 views)
Old 09-01-2011, 03:29 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

You stole it!! The Yankee Pennant alone is worth double what you paid for the entire group.

Congrats on an amazing haul
Old 09-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Dan Bretta

Joe, that's an amazing haul...I've never seen that little packaged football set with the players and helmets...that is too cool. Who made that item?
Old 09-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Joe Hunter

Dan: There is no manufacturer listed anywhere on the piece. I assume it was a promo display for the iron ons, as well as the little plastic helmets and the small football players which are actually erasers. Possibly a salesman's sample? It is, indeed, a neat piece.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Dan Bretta

Joe, I wonder if it's a header card for a gumball/prize machine?
Old 09-02-2011, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hunter View Post
Dan: There is no manufacturer listed anywhere on the piece. I assume it was a promo display for the iron ons, as well as the little plastic helmets and the small football players which are actually erasers. Possibly a salesman's sample? It is, indeed, a neat piece.
I don't know the manaufacturer of these, but I have definately seen them several times at major shows over the last 35 years, FWIW....

Last edited by Scott Garner; 09-02-2011 at 04:25 AM.