NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Default Trimmed Cards

Posted By: Lee Behrens

My belief is that SGC is not as generous with anything over NrMt. What is the % of T206 SGC 88 and aboves, compared to the PSA 8's or better, to the total number graded by each company.

Jim, Do you buy the SGC 88's and above?

Lee

Old 09-06-2005, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Default Trimmed Cards

Posted By: WP

Jim,
Have you ever heard of Randall Stuckemeyer? He is building virtually all sets in SGC 88 or higher. If he completes his task the quality of his cards will prpbably be markedly better than those with PSA sets, Maybe this is something for you to consider?

Old 09-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Default Trimmed Cards

Posted By: Scott Elkins

considered poor? I guess the slabbing stopped that concept when companies would not grade a trimmed card at all. I personally have three trimmed cards (now labeled authentic by GAI). Two, I knew when I bought them. They were Croft's Cocoas, so I bought them for fillers. One, is a Miller Fielding Ben traded me without mentioning it was trimmed. I knew it when the card arrived, but kept it anyway (instead of sending it all the way back to Canada).

Old 09-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Default Trimmed Cards

Posted By: FYS

Jim,

I do not know what year you end collecting sets, but 1968 and 1969 would not be that big of a challenge in SGC holders. I noticed you stated that you have not submitted raw in years, so this does make is more of a challenge. To ease the pain, if you set up a relationship with a couple high end vitage dealers that submit raw i.e. I want my 41 Playball's in SGC 88 and above, call me when you have them. You can direct the submittals, all you have to do is ask. Someone else pointed out Mr. Struckemyer's collection. He does have some beautifull high grade SGC stuff, including Pre & Post War.

Go after the 41 Playball set in SGC holders. I bet you a lunch at the House of Blues in Clevelend at the 07 National that you will enjoy the ride more than most others.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:02 AM
Administrator

Default Trimmed Cards

Posted By: jay behrens

jim, the other question is, why be a lemming? I know that crossing your stuff over would be costly, but I am sure SGC or GAI would be more than willing to work out some sort of deal. As someone else mentioned, if you make it known to major submitters that you want SGC88 cards, then you will only help your cause in getting more cards into SGC88 holders.

Given all the problems that PSA has, do you really believe that leaving your cards in PSA slabs is a good long term plan? Short term, it's an obvious wise choice, but if you are in the hobby for the long haul, I would think that PSA's problems would be of major concern given the huge investment you have in their slabs.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 09-07-2005, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Default Trimmed Cards

Posted By: identify7

I remember trimmed cards being classified as Poor. I didn't understand it then, nor do I understand it now. Trimmed cards are less desireable than those not trimmed, but imho not very much less desireable. Particularly in those instances where experienced persons are not sure or disagree on whether the card is trimmed.

To an extent, the same applies to centering. Why the grading companies have embraced this characteristic as one of primary concern escapes me. It is true that badly off-centered cards detract some from the overall appearance of the card; but it is also true that some think that borders are unnecessary once the card is no longer circulating (except for decorative borders).

Tony (the Cleaver) Clevamonte - trimmed cards my specialty.

Hack 'em, don't sack 'em.

Old 09-08-2005, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Default Trimmed Cards

Posted By: Jim Crandell

Jay,

I agree and I am concerned. But, for various reasons I have decided to wait and see how it plays out.

If I went to SGC to convert, I would expect to pay full price. GAI I would likely get a very good deal.

Not clear yet to me how the different grading companies will shake out although as I said I think grading will continue to increase.

Jim

Old 09-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Default Trimmed Cards

Posted By: Jim Crandell

WP and FYS,

Thank you both for your comments.

Lee-I have not bought SGC cards although I have a few in old SGC holders lieing around.

Jim