NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-29-2013, 01:57 AM
Archive

Not sure about the 54.

If I were going to start something.....anything, like a website or a business, I would want it to have a number that instills honesty and trust.

A number like.....00000001

Perfect!

Jantz
Old 01-29-2013, 03:39 AM
Rob

Default Board History

My memory is not the best, but I remember a board where the posts went like this...

does anyone have a T207 Milan?

........ Yes, I have a T207 Milan Napolean back.

etc

There was another board. And then a hostile takeover like Mutiny on the Bounty. That's all I remember.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:18 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I think Wilfred Brimley and his diabeetus somehow figures into all of this.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:37 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

So whats the real reason for the 54????
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro9 View Post
As founder, I don't want to give it away yet, but I will mention that the original name of the forum was "Vintage Baseball Card Forum".

Some great guesses so far, keep them coming.

Elliot
It is an Elliot sighting!!! How about a big round of applause for the guy that started this!
JimB
Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 AM
Derek Granger

Default 54

54 = the number of times the average user will view the BST page in a single day. I'm definitely in the hundreds...

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 01-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
So whats the real reason for the 54????
A very appropriate Post #54 in this thread, but you will just have to wait like the rest of us.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:35 AM
Arnie

The Yankees have won 27 world series, and in the next 100 years if they keep up that pace, they will win another 27, thereby Netting 54 championships. Condense to Net54. Yes, a Yankee fan started this forum.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:42 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

rulebook that the modern sport resembles was written by Alexander Cartwright in 1845 - and whoever bought the domain name typed in 54 instead of 45???
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 01-29-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:46 AM

Default I thought

I thought it was the answer to life the universe and everything ... plus 12 just to make sure our answer was better.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Mike C@.v3

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
It is an Elliot sighting!!! How about a big round of applause for the guy that started this!
JimB
+1

Yes!!! Elliot's the man! Thanks for what you created and now is Net54
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 01-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Conspiracy Theory - Search for Truth

I have been looking for evidence to substantiate my previous contention regarding leon, Lola and the Marvelettes (Post #22). I decided to pick an area code at random (760) and dialed Beechwood 45789. A cub reporter named Farleigh from the Desert Sun in Palm Springs answered the phone. I explained the reason for my call and Farleigh assured me he would look into it.
Well, it wasn't long, before I could finish my venison tostada, that Farleigh returned my call. In the newspaper's archives he found evidence of a clandestine meeting that took place in the early nineties between the Marvelettes warm up band, "The Baker's Dozen", and a group of card soakers know only as "The Dirty Dozen". What makes this even more compelling though is the location of the meeting, the Bistro 29 in Twentynine Palms, just up the highway from Palm Springs. Far be it for me to doubt Farleigh's research and if I'm not mistaken 13+12+29=54. I think I'm getting closer to the truth.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I have been looking for evidence to substantiate my previous contention regarding leon, Lola and the Marvelettes (Post #22). I decided to pick an area code at random (760) and dialed Beechwood 45789. A cub reporter named Farleigh from the Desert Sun in Palm Springs answered the phone. I explained the reason for my call and Farleigh assured me he would look into it.
Well, it wasn't long, before I could finish my venison tostada, that Farleigh returned my call. In the newspaper's archives he found evidence of a clandestine meeting that took place in the early nineties between the Marvelettes warm up band, "The Baker's Dozen", and a group of card soakers know only as "The Dirty Dozen". What makes this even more compelling though is the location of the meeting, the Bistro 29 in Twentynine Palms, just up the highway from Palm Springs. Far be it for me to doubt Farleigh's research and if I'm not mistaken 13+12+29=54. I think I'm getting closer to the truth.
Wow, how did you have time for all this in your busy day?

Maybe you should hire Darren.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lLQ1I-AF-5g

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!

Last edited by Jlighter; 01-29-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:23 PM
Mike

Quote:
I have investigated the Marvelettes' recording. While playing backwards, at exactly the 54 second mark AND 54 seconds from the end, the chorus Beachwood 45789 transforms into "..someday Net 54" You kinda have to tilt your head to one side and turn one ear from the music with your index finger in the other, but, it is there. It is there as plain as day. No "I buried Paul/Cranberry Sauce" debate here, guys. What is the real connection between this all girl band from Inkster Michigan and Net 54? Inquiring minds need to know.

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 01-29-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:31 PM

Default The question?

I know the answer!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:44 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

i got it!!!

Because it took the guy 54 licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop!!

Last edited by EvilKing00; 01-29-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Mike

Quote:
i got it!!!

Because it took the guy 54 licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop!!
Nice try, but that was an owl and he proved it only takes three licks

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 01-29-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Mike

Quote:
Am I the only one who has noticed that the Marvelettes other big hit was "Please Mr. Postman"? Considering how big of a part the USPS plays in our hobby, that cannot be a coincidence, could it?

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 01-29-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
I have investigated the Marvelettes' recording. While playing backwards, at exactly the 54 second mark AND 54 seconds from the end, the chorus Beachwood 45789 transforms into "..someday Net 54" You kinda have to tilt your head to one side and turn one ear from the music with your index finger in the other, but, it is there. It is there as plain as day. No "I buried Paul/Cranberry Sauce" debate here, guys. What is the real connection between this all girl band from Inkster Michigan and Net 54? Inquiring minds need to know.
Heading to Bistro 29 tomorrow to look for gum stuck under the tables. I'll run it down to Newport for DNA analysis. I'm guessing members of The Dirty Dozen are lurking on the Board right now. I realize this is a dangerous mission, but I wouldn't be caught dead in Inkster, Michigan.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Mike

Quote:
Heading to Bistro 29 tomorrow to look for gum stuck under the tables. I'll run it down to Newport for DNA analysis. I'm guessing members of The Dirty Dozen are lurking on the Board right now. I realize this is a dangerous mission, but I wouldn't be caught dead in Inkster, Michigan.
I am afraid you'd be wasting your time as the Bistro 29 remodeled and sold the tables to The Birdie Cafe in Marathon FL. Of Course, a Birdie is one under par or -1, a Marathon is 26 miles...You can do the math (29 -1 +26) and see that the plot thickens.

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 01-29-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Jake

Quote:
I am afraid you'd be wasting your time as the Bistro 29 remodeled and sold the tables to The Fishing Net Cafe in Marathon FL. Of Course, a Marathon is 26 miles...You can do the math and see that the plot thickens.
I really don't feel like adding fuel to the fire.

But, Marathon Florida is about 154 miles from Boca Raton.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post

Road Trip Dammit!!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post

I smell a rat. Something's fishy about how this tale is turning. I think I will just leave it alone.

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 01-29-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

so when are we getting the answer??

Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Changing a short subject into a serial is not without risk

Quote:
so when are we getting the answer??
The minions are getting restless, so even though the next chapter of my thrilling saga of intrigue is already written, if there are three more votes to end the suspense, we'll let the truth be told.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Marvellous Mark

Default it ain't over 'til it's over.

"if there are three more votes to end the suspense, we'll let the truth be told."

Once the truth is discovered, the journey is over.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:37 PM

It's backward masking. net54 backwards is "4 5 ten"....and we all know what that means...

Rob M.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
It's backward masking. net54 backwards is "4 5 ten"....and we all know what that means...

Rob M.
that sounds like a vote to me!

Old 01-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Jason Stricker

Another vote to reveal the truth...
Old 01-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Derek Granger

Default One more vote

I must admit I got lost along the way...

Looking forward to the grand reveal!!

My theories:

>> 54 is the number of outs Carl Hubbell got when pitching an 18 inning shutout vs the Cardinals in 1933.

>> the creator may have been from Oregon ("54 40 or Fight")

>> the creator was from MA (54th Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry - during civil war).

>> the creator was a meth user/dealer - much like baseball cards are an addiction to us (as in 54/142).

>> 5+4= 9 men on the field

>> 54 letters in the Sanscrit alphabet

>> 54 are the 191st and 192nd numbers in pi (and at the time of creation there were 190 Hall of Famers -- creator wanted Shoeless Joe and Pete Rose to be 191 and 192.

>> 54 is the sum of 2 thru 10, for what it's worth!!

Let us have it, I'm at wits end (as you can see)!!

Old 01-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Jason Stricker

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Let us have it, I'm at wits end (as you can see)!!
I'm with you. I haven't slept for two days. I might do something rash like start buying T205s if we don't find out soon.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:28 PM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

It's the number of times I have been married. They felt sorry for me and named a website after my drama.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkammeyer View Post
It's the number of times I have been married. They felt sorry for me and named a website after my drama.
Are you sticking with the fifty-fourth or taking a breather?

What was wrong with #32, I thought she was cute.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:39 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkammeyer View Post
You must have a great lawyer. 53 divorces/murders and you can still afford to collect cards?
Old 01-30-2013, 04:42 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
You must have a great lawyer. 53 divorces/murders and you can still afford to collect cards?
You obviously haven't heard of the cemetery find discovered while Steve's eighth was being interred. His lawyer only kept the Wagner.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Mike

Quote:
You obviously haven't heard of the cemetery find discovered while Steve's eighth was being interred. His lawyer only kept the Wagner.
So, he paid for his divorce with a little Heinie?
Old 01-30-2013, 04:46 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

probably his little Heinie, that caused the divorce in the 1st place

Old 01-30-2013, 04:53 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

I grew up with the '54 Dodgers.

Steve grew up with the 54 "bums".

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:38 PM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

Quote:
Are you sticking with the fifty-fourth or taking a breather?
As of next month we are going to rename the site Net55
Old 01-31-2013, 05:47 PM
Derek Granger

Bueller, Bueller,...BUELLER!!!!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:24 PM
Eric Perry

Default The real reason...

Ladies and gentlemen, the story you are about to read is (probably not) true. The names have been changed to protect the innocent...and I would never (admit to being so lame as to) take my opening directly frm the old TV show Dragnet, which was in its prime in 1954.

In 1954, there was a boy named Eric. Like many young collectors of the day, he eagerly anticipated the release of Topps' newest baseball card line. As a die-hard Yankees fan who treasured his '52 and '53 Mickey Mantle cards, he could scarcely wait to get his hands on the '54.

He searched in vain, all summer long, for that '54 Topps Mantle, but to no avail. Had he lived in a town with a population of more than 54 and the General Store stocked the Bowman offering that year, things might have been different for poor Eric. However, lady luck was not smiling on him.

Throughout his childhood, and into adulthood, Eric combed the barns and farmhouses of his tiny rural community, hoping against hope that someone would be willing to part with their copy of this elusive card. He never did leave Tinytown, PA, nor did he give up his boyhood dream of grabbing that '54 Mantle. And it wasn't until nearly thirty years later that he stopped searching.

In the spring of 1982, Eric learned that there would be a Baseball Card Show at the local Volunteer Fire House. Figuring he would finally be able to snag the card that haunted him all these years, he woke up early that day and headed down to the fire house. In fact, he was the first one in line...a full two hours before the show opened.

When the doors were finally unlocked, Eric vaulted himself into the show and frantically went from dealer to dealer, asking each of them the same question..."do you have a '54 Topps Mickey Mantle?" He didn't quite understand the reactions they gave him until he stumbled upon the 19th and final vendor set up that day.

The kind dealer handed him a well-worn copy of a thin book, made from newsprint paper, with the title, "Current Card Prices" on the cover. As he flipped through its pages and realized what he was seeing, a look of dawning comprehension came over his face.

"You mean they never effing made one?" he asked the dealer.

"I'm afraid not." came the reply.

Eric dropped to the floor, dead on the spot, from a condition the Medical Examiner could only describe as, "a broken heart."

This message board was created in his memory, many years later, by those who were there that day.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-31-2013, 06:31 PM
Bruce C@rter

I will throw a simple guess out there. Leons age when it started.
If that doesn't work then I will say the number of Depends that Frank goes through in a week.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:51 PM

Default Fellow members

Please see post #65 for the answer.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:14 PM
$teve O.

Post #65 says I know the answer.Is that the answer?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:34 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default 54 Update

It's so much fun seeing everyone jumping for the carrot. I feel like the rabbit at the greyhound track. Eric, I thought your post was autobiographical until the death scene. Please assure us that you are still alive. As for Texxxx, I guess it depends on which week you are talking about. When I'm dealing with you, the stack seems to get a little higher. To the best of my knowledge Leon is not yet 54, so that theory would hinge on whether he has found the Fountain of Youth and is headed backwards.

Sam Majors may be clairvoyant or he may be a principle somehow involved an undercover plot or he may just be your average Joe man in the street type guy waiting to be discovered by Jay Leno. All I know is that he is not an agent of mine and is in no way connected financially or psychologically with this thread.

I'm considering half time at the Super Bowl for the reveal, and no I will not be there for a live presentation. The name of the thread may change at that time, but the change will be appropriate and shouldn't fool more than 10% of the members.

A few more theories before Sunday would be nice. I may even wrap up my serialized version before then.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:01 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

It's Chuck Norris's favorite number.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:16 PM
Max Weder

Very simply, 3 was subtracted, the "." dropped, and "54" remained

Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballart View Post

Intellectually appealing, but flawed in the sixth line of the formula, which belies the result obtained.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:28 PM
David G0ld

The Curse of 1940, also called Dutton's Curse, was a superstitious explanation for why the New York Rangers of the National Hockey League did not win the league's championship trophy, the Stanley Cup, from 1940–94.

Net = Hockey 54 Years = Duration of the Curse

1940 was also Pre WWII (for the US)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_1940

Was anyone involved in the naming a Hockey or Rangers Fan?

Last edited by DavidG1966; 01-31-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:51 AM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballart View Post

Silence. Head hurts.