NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-12-2011, 10:34 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Mark, not sure how damaged they were but they both were known for those plays for the rest of their lives, as well as to this day. Interesting note, I was unaware the Merkle was also involved in a play that could have taken Snodgrass off the hook. Turns out that Chief Meyers was as much to blame for the loss as Snodgrass but never got the blame:
http://old.thedailystar.com/sports/2...phamilton.html
If you read or listen to the Ritter interview with Snodgrass, you will recognize how hurt Snodgrass was 50 years later by the reputation. He mentions one incident that is telling: Many years after he retired, he was in church with his family when a visiting preacher came to give the sermon. This preacher began by saying that he was from some small town (Ventura?), which he identified as being the home town of Fred Snodgrass. Not knowing that Snodgrass was present, the preacher reminded the congregation that Fred was the goat of the 1912 world series. Snodgrass said that he and his family just stoop up and left. On the tape, you can tell that it still ate him up. I've heard that Merkle had an even tougher time.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 AM
JeR@Me

Default Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebro041 View Post
Nice pickup Jeremy!
Thanks Dan ! I was surprised at how many pages were in this record book & schedule. (40+) Compact, but loaded with info, records, and dozens of pictures.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:43 PM

Default nice p/u's

Chris, Congrats on the Max McGee...I like the story and your attributes list....especially the two offers of $5,000.00 and $6,000....which sounds about what you'd net after auction fees....but then again, first superbowl touchdown and all....maybe it would catch fire if you auctioned it....Years of stopping at that store really paid off...Reminds me of Mike Hovet at the National this year....pickings were a little slim but he kept combing and found that D&M trophy
Photobucket

Photobucket

Gary, I like your Morrisiana ribbon...everything about it is very thumbs up...nice condition, great vignette with the two tone high top shoes etc., it's N.Y. baseball which I'd have never known, and the red white and blue stars and stripes letters are incredible...I've never seen letters like that...probably the best ribbon like it I've seen. I speculate you got it from either Terry Knouse/Tic and Tic...or Glen Mechanic. Knouse had the one below at the National, which doesn't come close to yours.....looks like same maker

Photobucket

Speaking of the National....I've got about 500 photos I'll be posting on my site pretty soon Lord willing....have been plucking away at it but so exhausted when get home from work!

Below is one of my National p/u's...a really out there Carlton kind of piece...Doesn't photograph well...looks better in person....The dealer Robert Klevens of Prestige Collectibles, pictured at bottom, specialized in Japanese baseball....said it was only the second Japanese BB related broadside he's ever had...He said he had researched it and If I recall correctly he said it was from 1924 just months after Yankee Stadium opened ...I'll take it in that condition anyday instead of mint...if they're too good of shape you're nervous it's a repro....this one there's no doubt when you hold it. If you know me you know I'm wild for broadsides....that thing stopped me in my tracks...I wasn't leaving without it!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Old 08-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Mike Dugan

Great broadside and photos! How about some more National photos for those of us unfortunate enough to have been stuck at home. Anybody!
Old 08-12-2011, 03:25 PM

Default Japansese baseball at Yankee Stadium broadside

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
Chris, Congrats on the Max McGee...I like the story and your attributes list....especially the two offers of $5,000.00 and $6,000....which sounds about what you'd net after auction fees....but then again, first superbowl touchdown and all....maybe it would catch fire if you auctioned it....Years of stopping at that store really paid off...Reminds me of Mike Hovet at the National this year....pickings were a little slim but he kept combing and found that D&M trophy
Photobucket

Photobucket

Gary, I like your Morrisiana ribbon...everything about it is very thumbs up...nice condition, great vignette with the two tone high top shoes etc., it's N.Y. baseball which I'd have never known, and the red white and blue stars and stripes letters are incredible...I've never seen letters like that...probably the best ribbon like it I've seen. I speculate you got it from either Terry Knouse/Tic and Tic...or Glen Mechanic. Knouse had the one below at the National, which doesn't come close to yours.....looks like same maker

Photobucket

Speaking of the National....I've got about 500 photos I'll be posting on my site pretty soon Lord willing....have been plucking away at it but so exhausted when get home from work!

Below is one of my National p/u's...a really out there Carlton kind of piece...Doesn't photograph well...looks better in person....The dealer Robert Klevens of Prestige Collectibles, pictured at bottom, specialized in Japanese baseball....said it was only the second Japanese BB related broadside he's ever had...He said he had researched it and If I recall correctly he said it was from 1924 just months after Yankee Stadium opened ...I'll take it in that condition anyday instead of mint...if they're too good of shape you're nervous it's a repro....this one there's no doubt when you hold it. If you know me you know I'm wild for broadsides....that thing stopped me in my tracks...I wasn't leaving without it!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Carlton,
Great pickup- congrats!!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Jeff

Default National Pick Up

Not sure of the year, pennant is in great shape.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Graig Kreindler

Scott,

LOVE that Koufax photo - simply stunning. Bravo!

Graig
Old 08-12-2011, 09:34 PM

Default Kofax 3rd no-hitter photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Scott,

LOVE that Koufax photo - simply stunning. Bravo!

Graig
Thanks Graig! Any time you want to borrow it for a painting, let me know.
Best,
Scott
Old 08-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Graig Kreindler

Scott,

Thank you for the offer! Anytime you want to send over a high-res scan of it, I'd be happy to receive one.

Graig
Old 08-13-2011, 05:15 AM
GaryPassamonte

Carlton,
You're right on about the baseball ribbon. I spent quite a bit of time with both Glen and Terry and they are two of the hobby's best. I got the ribbon from Terry. He has the most incredible group in the hobby.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:40 AM

Default from the national

Picked up six extremely rare 1936-38 bf3s. Note the Dimaggio spelling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0006 (2).jpg (77.5 KB, 368 views)
Old 08-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Dan Bretta

Not baseball, but a very cool Civil War era scrapbook that has a handwritten Confederate General Order, a piece of a rebel flag and flower picked up from the battle of Pittsburg Landing (Shiloh), a piece of the curtain from the Marshall House where Col. Ellsworth was murdered, and lots of Confederate notes. For those that don't know Ellsworth is the first officer of the North to be killed in the war..he was a very good friend of Abraham Lincoln. Union Soldiers in the weeks after Ellsworth's death collected souvenirs at the Marshall House where he was killed. Anyone know what something like this might be worth?

Old 08-13-2011, 06:43 PM

Default Civil War scrapbook

Very cool scrapbook Dan. I have read alot about the civil war, and am familiar with the story of Ellsworth - If I recall correctly, he went into a hotel in Virginia that was hanging a Confederate flag, and cut it down, but was shot by one of its inhabitants on the way out.
Is your scrapbook attributed to anyone specific?
Old 08-13-2011, 06:54 PM

That scrapbook is incredible.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjavic View Post
Very cool scrapbook Dan. I have read alot about the civil war, and am familiar with the story of Ellsworth - If I recall correctly, he went into a hotel in Virginia that was hanging a Confederate flag, and cut it down, but was shot by one of its inhabitants on the way out.
Is your scrapbook attributed to anyone specific?
There is a bit of grass that has a small story about where it was picked and is signed "L.S. Bishop"..another name that pops up is under the flower it says it was picked after the battle by "Mrs Kent". I wonder if Shiloh was one of those battles that had spectators?
Old 08-13-2011, 08:23 PM

[QUOTE=slidekellyslide;916740]Not baseball, but a very cool Civil War era scrapbook that has a handwritten Confederate General Order, a piece of a rebel flag and flower picked up from the battle of Pittsburg Landing (Shiloh), a piece of the curtain from the Marshall House where Col. Ellsworth was murdered, and lots of Confederate notes. For those that don't know Ellsworth is the first officer of the North to be killed in the war..he was a very good friend of Abraham Lincoln. Union Soldiers in the weeks after Ellsworth's death collected souvenirs at the Marshall House where he was killed. Anyone know what something like this might be worth?

Wow Dan!! What an incredible scrapbook! I don't collect stuff like this, but I can appreciate something so historic. Congrats!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Kyle B@rni@k

I think a conservative estimate would be 1-3k in an average estate auction.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:38 PM
M@rk Lu7z

The letter from Gen. Simon Bolivar Buckner alone has some value.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:41 PM

I would guess you could get quite a bit of value for that book.

I have that same Ellswoth CDV picture and I would guess that alone is in the $125-$150 range. I would have no idea what the dried flower or the swatch of the Confed flag would be worth but both would command some decent money and dont even get me started on a original Confederate General Order. did pretty well.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:08 AM
Scott

My late Father LOVED the Civil war and instilled it in me. Tho I don't study it, its a tragic and fascinating time. the scrapbook is INCREDIBLE. What a find.

On topic, I love those pennants also.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:14 AM
R.J. Hinners

Default Not necessarily new pickups in the month, but recently back from the framer...

1952 WS Game 3 piece (DiMag throws out 1st pitch) signed by 9

Pair of Yankee-related stock certs

And my personal favorite, an original snapshot of the Babe and a couple of young autograph seekers.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Not very old, but I just picked up Holtzman Signed Sports Classics series copies of "The Long Season" by Jim Brosnan and "The Boys of Summer" by Roger Kahn. I have not read Boys of Summer and now that I've really dived in to those great Dodger teams, I'm really looking forward to it. I read The Long Season back in the 70's, and remember it as being one of the best baseball books I had read at that time. I think it will be worth re-reading.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:05 AM

Default 1938 Carl Hubbell and Johnny Vander Meer fountain pen signed cards

I just picked up two high quality fountain pen signed 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" cards of HOF'er Carl Hubbell and Johnny "Double No-Hit" Vander Meer from 1938.

These both originally came from a New Jersey collector that put together a beautiful 1938 scrapbook of top stars and personalities from the period. They will make nice additions to my personal collection of no-hit pitcher signatures.

BTW, my collection includes the signatures of over 250 different no-hit pitchers dating back to the 19th century.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 08-17-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:02 AM
Graig Kreindler

GREAT pick-ups, Scott. Gotta love that Hubbell signature...
Old 08-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Nice pickups Scott. I love the old style Hubbell. By the way, do you know how many different pitchers have thrown no hitters? How many more do you need?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:44 AM

Default No-hitters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Nice pickups Scott. I love the old style Hubbell. By the way, do you know how many different pitchers have thrown no hitters? How many more do you need?
Mike,

Thanks for asking!

According to Wikipidia there have been 272 "official" no-hitters that have been thrown since 1875. In addition to that there are other "unofficial" no-hitter games that have been thrown in the major leagues that no longer make the cut since the rules defining a no-hitter changed in 1991.

I have been collecting much longer than 1991 so I continue to collect tickets and signatures of all major leaguers that have thrown either an official or unofficial no-hitter in the major leagues dating back to 1893. For those of you that don't know, 1893 was the year that the mound distance changed to the modern standard of 60' 6".

A few of the names that I need are either completely out of my price range or virtually not available in the hobby. (Vic Willis, Addie Joss are two for example). At present, I need 21 signatures to complete my collection.
Not too bad as I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:47 AM

Default Hubbell 1938 sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
GREAT pick-ups, Scott. Gotta love that Hubbell signature...
Thanks Graig & Mike! This is a nice example of his early autograph, way before he had the unfortunate stroke later in life.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 08-17-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Mike,

A few of the names that I need are either completely out of my price range or virtually not available in the hobby. (Vic Willis, Addie Joss are two for example). .

I just got about 10 cuts of each of those. I will be printing certs from the "print a cert factory" tonight and I can make you a great deal on them

Old 08-17-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
I just got about 10 cuts of each of those. I will be printing certs from the "print a cert factory" tonight and I can make you a great deal on them

Jim,
I guess I haven't looked in Pennsylvania hard enough. I'm sure that these cuts are falling out of trees like other (supposedly impossible) ones are.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Jim Murphy

well ohio has the display peices
Old 08-17-2011, 12:57 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
well ohio has the display peices
What's that in reference to?
Old 08-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Jim Murphy

A lot of fake and or reproduction advertisements come out of a source in Ohio
Old 08-18-2011, 05:56 PM

Default more from the national

Four more bf3s I picked up from a dealer I met at the national.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0003.jpg (76.2 KB, 434 views)
Old 08-19-2011, 04:46 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

1939 Baseball Hall of Fame Program. Nice condition.

1938 Movie promo still for Gehrig's only Movie "Rawhide"

Also re did my photobucket site a bit to put all my Gehrig stuff in one folder.
Please enjoy!
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ehrig%20stuff/

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 08-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Rick P

As a big fan of radio broadcasting history, I'm really happy to have picked up this windowcard promoting the 1935 Kentucky Derby...1934 winner Cavalcade is pictured on the sign. Gotta love Willie, the Kool penguin...who says you can't smoke and race at the same time?

Old 08-21-2011, 11:22 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Very, very kool.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:27 PM

I bought this Grover Cleveland Alexander ball on eBay a few weeks ago and waited to submit it for authentication at the East Coast National. It passed and received a full cert from JSA. Also on the baseball is Babe Didrickson.

Very happy about this one.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:29 PM

Default Great ball!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I bought this Grover Cleveland Alexander ball on eBay a few weeks ago and waited to submit it for authentication at the East Coast National. It passed and received a full cert from JSA. Also on the baseball is Babe Didrickson.

Very happy about this one.

Congrats!!
Old 08-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default 1917 White Sox Paul Thompson Original Photo (4 members of the Black Sox)

was thrilled to pick this up, would love to find a frame with a clear back to show off the Paul Thompson stamp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 027.jpg (60.7 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg 028.jpg (69.8 KB, 275 views)
Old 08-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

hoping this 2nd pix is more clear.......(took it out of the plastic sleeve this time...doh!)

also anyone out there know if they wore these uniforms all season or they were made specifically for the World Series, seeing they have some long sleeve clothing underneath leads me to believe it was the fall.

Also of note McMullin replaced Risberg for the 1917 WS because Risberg wasn't hitting late in the season so Buck moved over to SS and McMullin to 3b. Thus McMulllin started all the games and had 24 abs to Risberg's 2 abs. Just interesting because people always dismiss Fred M as that he overheard the plot and that he was insignificant because he wasn't a starter, but he was 2 years before in the '17 WS.

I also like how big Gandil is compared to the others, not sure I'd of said no to him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (66.0 KB, 274 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 08-21-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Packs, glad that one worked out for you. Nice pickup.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:35 PM

Thanks a lot guys. It's a great ball. I bought it from the woman who got it signed herself nearly 80 years ago.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:43 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Paul,
The person who sold that is a friend of mine.
I was the one who advised him of the dating.
Those uniforms were worn only in the 1917 World Series. That is why you definitively date it to that time. The Thompson stamp is one that dates to the 1910-1920 decade. Because of these two facts, you can date it pretty accurately.
It is a type 1.

Congrats, I think you paid a fair price for a really nice picture.
Enjoy,
Mark

BTW, you could use a clear piece of glass for the reverse to let the back show through. I'm sure a professional framer who have some other options. Another neat idea would be to make a copy of the back and have the front and back matted together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
hoping this 2nd pix is more clear.......(took it out of the plastic sleeve this time...doh!)

also anyone out there know if they wore these uniforms all season or they were made specifically for the World Series, seeing they have some long sleeve clothing underneath leads me to believe it was the fall.

Also of note McMullin replaced Risberg for the 1917 WS because Risberg wasn't hitting late in the season so Buck moved over to SS and McMullin to 3b. Thus McMulllin started all the games and had 24 abs to Risberg's 2 abs. Just interesting because people always dismiss Fred M as that he overheard the plot and that he was insignificant because he wasn't a starter, but he was 2 years before in the '17 WS.

I also like how big Gandil is compared to the others, not sure I'd of said no to him.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Mark -thanks for the reply and info. Neat idea on the copy of the back and frame/matte together, would never have thought of that. I love this board.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:58 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Paul,
Your welcome.
A few more tidbits.
The uniforms would've been red, white, and blue. They were designed as a tribute to the effort in WWI.

Best,
Mark

Old 08-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Jeff

Beautiful photo, congrats!

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-22-2011, 02:41 PM

Default 1924 original Type I signed photo of Wash Senators pitcher George Mogridge

I'm very happy with a new pickup that I just made. I managed to finally find one of the early no-hit pitcher signatures that has eluded me: RHP George Mogridge. On April 24, 1917 Mogridge pitched a no-hitter against the World Champion Red Sox at Boston's Fenway Park while he was a member of the NY Yankees.

The photo that I just acquired is an original Type I sepia toned picture of Mogridge while he was a member of the 1924 World Champion Washington Senators. Mogridge was the winning pitcher in Game 4, defeating the NY Giants 7-4. Dimensions of the photo are 7" x 10". Condition of the photo is truly fantastic considering it's age. It's unkown who actually took this photo. BTW, if anyone on this board recognizes this photo or can speculate on who might have taken it, I would really appreciate the assist.

The photo is signed in vintage fountain pen. Mogridge's autograph on any medium is extremely scarce. For having a death date of 1962 it's unknown why his signature is so difficult to find. It's speculated that he literally was "off the grid" and his whereabouts were unknown by the early autograph collectors from the 1950's and 1960's, or he seemingly never answered mail requests.

In any case, I'm thrilled to add this Mogridge signed photo to my collection. It's certainly been a long, difficult search. 20 more early no-hitter pitcher signatures to go....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg George Mogridge 1924 signed photo.jpg (44.9 KB, 264 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 08-22-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Hank Thomas

Default George Mogridge

Judging by the crowd, I'd guess he's warming up at Griffith Stadium during the world series, perhaps before game seven in which he played such a key role, holding the Giants for 5 innings and serving as the linchpin to Bucky Harris's outmaneuvering of John McGraw to get Bill Terry out of the game so the Nats righthanders Fred Marberry and (if needed) Walter Johnson wouldn't have to face the Giants rookie who had been tearing them up all series. What's on the back, Scott? And did this come from Keating, whom I saw pick up a great collection of vintage Senators signed photos at the National?
Hank Thomas
Old 08-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Doug Goodman

Default Modridge

Congrats on that one Scott.
Doug