NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Chris,

The love that many board members have for SGC runs deep and true, so don't be surprised. I often wonder whether SGC employees harbor fears of being stalked by over-the-top fans.
Not me! I effin' hate SGC. (I mean publicly. Via private emails I effin' love them. Or vice versa)
Old 05-20-2010, 02:43 PM

Default encapsulation without a numerical grade

I like the idea very much of an encapsulated card saying ex or vg or whatever and a very short description summarizing the reason for the grade....such as creasing, moderate corner wear, bad o/c problem, staining....etc....it makes sense and take out some of the guesswork of the reason for the grade...a lot of the these flaws cannot be seen in a scan....as I said before, authentication is paramount for our protection but the numerical value is much less needed because it so subjective a lot of the time...as Barry said, a short description stating the reason for the grade would be more helpful......too many people just buy the number....thanks...Bruce Perry
Old 05-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdutchess View Post
Is SCG paying people for these post? The "I am disgusted with SCG" post pretty much talks them up saying that there cards are graded better than PSA. Now there is this dogging PSA that they grade trimmed cards and other problems they have with there cards. Seems fishy to me when there is a advertisment for SCG right over the top of this thread.
Don't you think that if there were any protection on this board, for it's advertisers, that the thread wouldn't still be there? Try putting this on the CU boards- "My disgust with PSA grading" and see how long it lasts. As a matter of fact I had an hour long conversation about that very thread and subject TODAY. As of this moment the title of that thread has been changed as the original poster felt it was fine to amend it and he was just really upset when he posted. Had he wanted to leave the title the way it was I was backing him up on it and it would have stayed the way it was. I told him so too. You can say what you want to on this board but you are legally liable for what you say, just remember that. And there was no threat whatsoever (that I am aware of) of any legalities with that thread or the posts in it. There are a ton of new folks on this board and I want everyone to understand you can say anything you want to, including anything about an advertiser, per the forum rules, which are quite open. regards

Last edited by Leon; 05-20-2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Paul

Quote:
Is SCG paying people for these post? The "I am disgusted with SCG" post pretty much talks them up saying that there cards are graded better than PSA. Now there is this dogging PSA that they grade trimmed cards and other problems they have with there cards. Seems fishy to me when there is a advertisment for SCG right over the top of this thread.
First of all, it's SGC (but I agree that has always confused me, too, i.e., isn't it Sports Card Guarantee afterall?)

Second of all, yes SGC is paying me for my posts. They pay me in consistent grading, excellent customer service and pretty black plastic inserts that make my cards really "pop" in scans.

If PSA "paid me" in the same currency, they would also get my support.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 05-20-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
First of all, it's SGC (but I agree that has always confused me, too, i.e., isn't it Sports Card Guarantee afterall?)

Sportscard is one word (at least in their world.) SGC = Sportscard Guarantee Corporation.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Chris

Sorry (I ment SGC, eventhough it says Sports Card Guaranty on the back), I like SGC and was not trying to step on anyone's toes. The only problem I have ever had with them is that they chargerd me full grading price for a trimmed 34 Gehrig and a trimmed 48 Leaf Williams. I wrote the trimmed value in the form and they called me and said that they had to charege me a higher price due to there markwt value for the grading (they both looked mint to the naked eye). I think it was a extra $40 bucks.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Not me! I effin' hate SGC. (I mean publicly. Via private emails I effin' love them. Or vice versa)
Both and neither, sometimes maybe yes and no.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Paul

Quote:
I ment SGC, eventhough it says Sports Card Guaranty on the back.
I agree it is totally confusing.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Sorry (I ment SGC, eventhough it says Sports Card Guaranty on the back), I like SGC and was not trying to step on anyone's toes. The only problem I have ever had with them is that they chargerd me full grading price for a trimmed 34 Gehrig and a trimmed 48 Leaf Williams. I wrote the trimmed value in the form and they called me and said that they had to charege me a higher price due to there markwt value for the grading (they both looked mint to the naked eye). I think it was a extra $40 bucks.
Chris when did this happen. I have sent in cards from $1- $12000 to SGC and even though they are worth that I only insure for what I paid for them. $400 paid - $1200 sellable value. I take that risk on myself but SGC has never forced me to pay more ever, nor have they asked.

Has this happened to anyone else
Old 05-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Default Very Vey disgusted

So I'm still not 100% sure which is the better of the two. PSA or SGC I have several cards graded by both, mostlly T206's. It seems to me that PSA lets alot of stuff slip through and SGC is strict,but I'm sure they both have there moments.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:53 PM
John Startleman

This is why I buy already-graded cards and rarely submit my own. Let others go through the hassles.

Last edited by sportscardtheory; 05-21-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
Chris when did this happen. I have sent in cards from $1- $12000 to SGC and even though they are worth that I only insure for what I paid for them. $400 paid - $1200 sellable value. I take that risk on myself but SGC has never forced me to pay more ever, nor have they asked.

Has this happened to anyone else
Sorry for the delay! It was last summer. I ended up selling the cards for a little profit to make up for the $40 bucks but I still think I got screwed.