NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Default P-F in your collection?

Posted By: Anonymous

So can we assume that without some kind of a qualifier, a graded card from the major grading companies is not trimmed or otherwise altered? Thanks!

Old 09-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill

If possible, I go for the higher grade but I've finally gotten over the "how well would it grade" trend and just try to put my sets together with what is available. I actually like it to look the age sometimes, gives the card more character.

Freedom is Not Free

Old 09-12-2005, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Old 09-12-2005, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Kasel

My worst condition card, but to me it still has character.

I have several other F-P cards but this is the worst/best.

Bill

Old 09-13-2005, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

Old 09-13-2005, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

Anybody think that most of the cards in this thread would rate among the best in your collection?

Old 09-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Depends on how define best. The e107 Sheckard of mine is easily one of the 3 most valuable cards in my collection. My Thorpe card is easily the most valuable and it's in a SGC20 holder.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

The Yum Yum card below is in poor condition. It is uncataloged and someone wanted it bad enough to pay a pretty healthy sum for it.

In this case scarcity was the reason for keeping the card in my collection until a very generous offer was made for the card:

I'm certain that the collection where it went could have a higher graded example of the card if it were available.

Old 09-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Thanks for the input on my previous question about grading these F-P cards.

Old 09-13-2005, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mosley

Thanks for posting that Cullivans... is that in your type collection?

I always wondered what it would look like if you crossed a T-205 with a T-208

Old 09-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Administrator

So then Judge, was the original reason for putting the Yum Yum in your collection, its resale potential?

If so, although it was occupying the Jail square, it was Just Visiting. I have some cards like that too, but none are worth talking about. I wish there was an easy way to get rid of my visitors in exchange for long term inmates.

Old 09-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

Yes Scott, that's my lone T205/8 type. Maybe someday I can upgrade to a real T208.

A couple more poor cards that I'm happy to have:

Old 09-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Gil,

The whole idea for getting the Yum Yum in the first place was because it is a rare type card.

As you can see the card was in fairly bad shape. Sure it was not cataloged but that wasn't the rarity factor that I considered when I got the card. I picked up the card because it was a Yum Yum.

To me the money that the person paid me for it will allow me to pick up another Yum Yum (or a GnB or another tough type card) that is in much better condition. I don't look at cards like investments, I look at them as peices of cardboard that bring me a lot of enjoyment. A great diversion from the real world.

• I pick up a Paul Hines N172 and I see a picture of the first triple crown winner.
  • Pick up a Radbourn card and see the pitcher that won the most games in a single season.
  • I pick up Billy Hamilton and I see the player that scored more runs in one season than any other ball player.
  • Pick up an Ed O'Neill card and you see a guy that led the league in just about every offensive categorey in one year.

To me, that's what it's all about. The rarity part is cool because you then have a piece of baseball cardboard history. Whether it's in poor conidition or not, it's great. If I can get a better condition one, I'll do that when possible (or if the opportunity presents itself).
Old 09-13-2005, 04:25 PM
Administrator

I hope I didn't sound too excited about little pieces of cardboard....

Old 09-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

While it's true some of my poor cards are among my favorites, it usually goes hand-in-hand with rarity. If I could find a better example, I'd want it. But in most cases, I'm thrilled to find and obatain a copy.

Regards,
Joe G.

Old 09-13-2005, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Not at all Fred. Actually it is quite enjoyable for me to view a microcosm of one of your collecting thrusts.

I note that many are seduced by rarity, while to me it is an enemy.

I collect cards of players for much the same reasons which you do. However, when given a choice of a rarer card and a common one, I always choose the lower priced option. There is a continual trade off among condition, price and rarity (everything has some rarity).

To deliberately choose a higher priced option is a viewpoint which I am struggling to understand. To me, selecting a more common card yields either a higher condition example, or less expenditure, or both. And less expenditure can easily allow me to get two cards for the price of a scarcer option.

I do not buy cards to resell them, however, sometimes a card I have been looking for appears in a lot.

Old 09-13-2005, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren Duet

trimmed & cheap

Old 09-13-2005, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

...and I wanted it because it was a Yum Yum...

Old 09-14-2005, 01:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Gil, I got thru the same delima. My e107 Sheckard is one of them. For the price of the Sheckard, I could get a t206 Sheckard and whole of other t206s or other cheap, common cards that would get me further along to my player set goal. The big reason I keep the card is because I am a Leon wannabe at heart. I love type cards, so the player set allows me to also pursue type cards. Ultimately, I'd like to trade the Sheckard for one of the players in the e107 set that makes his only appearance in that set.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 09-14-2005, 06:06 AM
Administrator

Jay - I think you nailed it.

I never viewed the purchase of rare cards as the acquisition of the more difficult portion of a type set. It seems obvious now. I don't wonder what I had been thinking, because I remember it - and none of it made much sense.

There are probably other objectives in accumulating rare cards too - that is, other than the logistics of their scarcity.