NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-24-2016, 07:40 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeson View Post
I have won several cards from Greg Morris and have not had any issues.
who the hell is Greg Morris??
Old 03-24-2016, 07:54 PM
Howie Schenker

See post 44 above. He's a major card dealer from way back who does set breaks on Ebay.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:01 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
who the hell is Greg Morris??
He played Barney on the original and awesome Mission Impossible TV series....
Old 03-24-2016, 08:06 PM
Tony. Biviano

Default Glyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
A laugh ? How it is well documented that many early sgc graded cards during the merkle era were not judged harshly at all in fact when I worked at sgc it was not a guarantee that cards graded during the merkle regime would be regraded with the same grade as many were outside the tolerance not sure exactly what you meant but your wrong if you were disagreeing with me. It is honestly not just merkle era grades either as it is often discussed throughout the industry how sgc is not as strict on centering.It is well within the 70-30 PSA says it can be and still get an 8 ( I agree you seldom see a 70-30 card in an 8): PSA NM-MT 8 is a super high-end card that appears Mint 9 at first glance, but upon closer inspection, the card can exhibit the following: a very slight wax stain on reverse, slightest fraying at one or two corners, a minor printing imperfection, and/or slightly off-white borders. Centering must be approximately 65/35 to 70/30 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse.
I don't when the "Merkle era" was nor do I care. I am talking about today's grading. I don' buy the holder, but the card. My experience leads me to SGC. I have been burned too many times by the sub standard grading at PSA. I intentionally buy PSA cards only to break them out and resubmit to SGC where they usually receive at least half grade lower. Again that's my experience.

Last edited by cammb; 03-24-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammb View Post
I don't when the "Merkle era" was nor do I care. I am talking about today's grading. I don' buy the holder, but the card. My experience leads me to SGC. I have been burned too many times by the sub standard grading at PSA. I intentionally buy PSA cards only to break them out and resubmit to SGC where they usually receive at least half grade lower. Again that's my experience.
I completely disagree. In my opinion PSA is much stricter these days.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:12 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
That doesn't seem like an economically sound strategy as SGC cards typically sell at substantially lower prices than the same card in an equivalent PSA holder.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:16 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I completely disagree. In my opinion PSA is much stricter these days.
It really depends on the "problem" with the card. They grade cards very differently.

I say problem because that is really all they do is point out the problems on with a card.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
It really depends on the "problem" with the card. They grade cards very differently.

I say problem because that is really all they do is point out the problems on with a card.
Fair enough but I was talking about corner wear and centering. There are numerous SGC 8s that would get 7s and SGC 7s that would get 6s; at those grades the problems are corners and centering.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:16 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Why anyone would send their cards to a company that cant tell the difference between Karl Malden and Karl Malone is beyond me. Thats just plain dumb!
Old 03-25-2016, 05:10 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Before i joined this forum I had no idea that other collectors did not see bgs, psa , sgc in the same light as collectors I know .l I would never switch my cards from BGS or psa to SGC . The price for a psa and sgc card in the same grade can be staggering . Let along to get a lower grade from sgc .

Last edited by Rookiemonster; 03-25-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:30 AM
Greg Mitchell

Until recently, I tended to favor buying SGC cards--since the look is so important for me. But the pricing differential with PSA has only grown and so now I've given up. I will still buy SGC for pre-1900 cards and a few scattered others but otherwise it makes no sense at all, sorry to say. People argue here on and on about which company is stricter, or more fair, or has better service, etc., but it seems that the people have spoken--for whatever reason, they see PSA grades as far more credible, right or wrong.

Although always interesting to ask: exactly WHY?
Old 03-25-2016, 11:45 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
Until recently, I tended to favor buying SGC cards--since the look is so important for me. But the pricing differential with PSA has only grown and so now I've given up. I will still buy SGC for pre-1900 cards and a few scattered others but otherwise it makes no sense at all, sorry to say. People argue here on and on about which company is stricter, or more fair, or has better service, etc., but it seems that the people have spoken--for whatever reason, they see PSA grades as far more credible, right or wrong.

Two reasons of many -
1-Because they advertise like crazy and have gotten much free hype in and out of the hobby.
2-Many people are sheep.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 03-25-2016, 08:06 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Two reasons of many -
1-Because they advertise like crazy and have gotten much free hype in and out of the hobby.
2-Many people are sheep.
Richard- What exactly are you saying?
Old 03-25-2016, 08:27 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Seems crystal clear!
Old 03-25-2016, 08:29 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Seems crystal clear!
How so? Because PSA cards bring a premium over SGC??
Old 03-25-2016, 08:40 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Seems crystal clear!
delete...beating a dead horse

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 03-25-2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:53 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
LOL.....this debate is almost as old as "what came first - the chicken or the egg". I'm speaking tongue in cheek of course, but....

The above poster is right. PSA advertises like crazy, and people are sheep. SGC does a very honorable job of grading cards and I love the way they look in the cases.

That being said, when it comes time to sell, they get NOWHERE near the prices of PSA. If someone is selling a card in SGC and they see it selling for a fraction of the PSA counterpart, of course they aren't going to want to sell any more SGC's. Now, if the SGC buyers would SUPPORT the .99 cent auctions on Ebay of SGC cards and help drive the prices up to even close of what the PSA cards are..........that hasn't happened so far though.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:16 AM
Eric
Eric

Default Not that anyone else cares...

I am a huge SGC fan...
As a COLLECTOR
I think the cards look much better in their holders.
As for premium pricing, I know it is not there for SGC but that doesn't bother me.
I have had 2 cards in PSA holders that I attempted to get crossed to SGC and they can back as trimmed. They were National Chicle football cards and no, I do not have scans. I feel the standards are strict at SGC except, of course, on centering. But that has been adequately discussed
Old 03-26-2016, 10:19 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Why anyone would send their cards to a company that cant tell the difference between Karl Malden and Karl Malone is beyond me. Thats just plain dumb!
I can't get the thought of a Karl Malden basketball card out of my head now.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:25 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggsdaddycool View Post
Every time I happen to click a card I like and see Probstein or PWCC, I just turn and walk away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I fully admit if someone has what I want, I am a buyer. I have bought from both and due to the well known issues I will only do it with a sniping service and just use a price point I feel is fair and never feel bad about an outbid.

As they get crazy prices, I rarely win from them. However, they do pack and ship well.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:56 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post

I havent seen a 'set break' auction on ebay with 95% of the cards being SGC in a long time post war...probably not even prewar either but i dont follow that end as much...it seems every week PWCC has a 'set break' PSA auction..

IF SGC would fo been the one to grade those Ty Cobb/Ty Cobb backs that could of helped them with their prewar niche everyone argues with me about when i say PSA is the way to go

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-26-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:58 AM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I fully admit if someone has what I want, I am a buyer. I have bought from both and due to the well known issues I will only do it with a sniping service and just use a price point I feel is fair and never feel bad about an outbid.

As they get crazy prices, I rarely win from them. However, they do pack and ship well.
So at least they have that last part going for them (shipping and packing) which is nice
I have bought from both but certainly know my limits bidding heading into it
Old 03-26-2016, 01:19 PM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
That doesn't seem like an economically sound strategy as SGC cards typically sell at substantially lower prices than the same card in an equivalent PSA holder.
There is no strategy. There happens to be many more psa commons that I need than sgc. I collect sgc 80 or better. I have tried numerous times , without much success, to crossover to sgc and always being met with "does not minimum grade requested". So I buy psa one grade higher.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:45 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
There is no strategy. There happens to be many more psa commons that I need than sgc. I collect sgc 80 or better. I have tried numerous times , without much success, to crossover to sgc and always being met with "does not minimum grade requested". So I buy psa one grade higher.
Fair enough of you're happy with what you end up with that is all that matters. For the cards I collect if I paid the PSA price and sent it to SGC for a 1/2 point deduction, or even the same grade, I would take a big hit.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:18 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

These auctions end tonight ! Can't wait to see were some of these end . The 1951 Mays is already over 46,000
Old 03-31-2016, 08:47 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

54' topps Mays psa 9 at 10k now as well...

the 1954s psa 8+s have really taken off
Old 04-01-2016, 05:10 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

For anybody who didn't watch . The willie Mays rookie went for 51,875 .

But a psa 10 1959 Willie Mays sold for 75,375 😵
Old 04-01-2016, 09:08 AM
David $tephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Two reasons of many -
2-Many people are sheep.
Before I jumped into this hobby several years ago I did diligent research and read tons of threads on this board about SGC vs. PSA. I decided to go with SGC as they seemed to be the PRe-War favorite at the time. The first graded card I ever had was a Willie Mays and the PSA holder seemed flimsy. I bought strictly SGC cards until one day slipping up and purchasing a Nap Lajoie Portrait in a PSA case. It was love at first site. I have bought mostly PSA since and am seriouly considering moving my SGC cards to PSA holders for conformity. I still think that SGC is a better grader and their cases are rock solid, but are bulky, heavy and take up a lot more space than the PSA cards. Space is finite at my house with three boys and another child on the way. I choose PSA for more practical purposes and find both companies to be very good at what they do. I have had good experiences with both and wouldnt balk at buying a SGC card if it was the right card.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:27 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
Before I jumped into this hobby several years ago I did diligent research and read tons of threads on this board about SGC vs. PSA. I decided to go with SGC as they seemed to be the PRe-War favorite at the time. The first graded card I ever had was a Willie Mays and the PSA holder seemed flimsy. I bought strictly SGC cards until one day slipping up and purchasing a Nap Lajoie Portrait in a PSA case. It was love at first site. I have bought mostly PSA since and am seriouly considering moving my SGC cards to PSA holders for conformity. I still think that SGC is a better grader and their cases are rock solid, but are bulky, heavy and take up a lot more space than the PSA cards. Space is finite at my house with three boys and another child on the way. I choose PSA for more practical purposes and find both companies to be very good at what they do. I have had good experiences with both and wouldnt balk at buying a SGC card if it was the right card.
So it stands to reason that you would buy a PSA if it wasnt the right card...
Old 04-01-2016, 03:32 PM
David $tephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
So it stands to reason that you would buy a PSA if it wasnt the right card...
That's false logic. Saying that I would do one thing does not imply I would do another. I would buy an SGC graded card if it was the right card, meaning that if it was what I was looking for or a good value. You can always send it to PSA to have it graded there if you want the uniformity.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:36 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
PWCC may not be the cheapest at the end of the day every time but I've gotten some nice items at fiar prices. A number of times. Just sayin.
Absolutely +1!

Best wishes to all,

Larry
Old 04-01-2016, 03:38 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
For anybody who didn't watch . The willie Mays rookie went for 51,875 .

But a psa 10 1959 Willie Mays sold for 75,375 😵
I wouldn't have guessed that much for the 59. But if there's only 1 in the world it's pretty hard to set a price. Personally I'd rather have his rookie in an 8 and save the 23k difference for something else
Old 04-01-2016, 03:40 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
looks within the centering parameters for an 8 to me. Not sure where some think it needs to be a 6 based on its centering. Agree its not perfectly centered but i have seen much worse (centering) especially in sgc holders.
+1 on this.

Regards,

Larry
Old 04-01-2016, 09:34 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I wouldn't have guessed that much for the 59. But if there's only 1 in the world it's pretty hard to set a price. Personally I'd rather have his rookie in an 8 and save the 23k difference for something else
Yeah, for sure the rookie is the way to go! The managers dream was a bit surprising to me as well. I was just making a assumption here. Maybe the 59 Mays was getting bids from set collector. If there is only one at gem mint ten then that's a one up on the next guy.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:36 AM
David Peck

The spread from the pack is the largest I have ever seen on EBAY. A 60k jump with the final two snipes. WOW that is insane. I bet the other bidders watching at the end were like WTF just happened. Haha.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:17 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Not like this is new news, but these auctions really get me mad with all of the shill bidding. I am watching 3 identical items on ebay. They are all PSA. I mean they are identical. They all close within 3 days of each other. Two of them are currently at around $10 and the one being sold by probstein is already at $30. The current high bidder has 400 bids this month and over 50% are with Probstein. Really, ebay!? Give me a break!!!
Old 05-23-2016, 04:22 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Have won things from Probstein recently and been happy. Also lost some but wasn't very unhappy. No doubt there is shilling going on on ebay but I am not sure the largest sellers can control it very well. Friends of friends and all.....
Old 05-23-2016, 05:40 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Probstein sells tons of cards. Of course they can't "police" it all. That is their alibi.

All the ingredients are there for shilling to happen.

Probstein makes more $.
eBay makes more $.
The seller makes more $.
Buyer loses $.

Not that all are shilled, but this is the perfect business model for this stuff to happen.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:18 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Not like this is new news, but these auctions really get me mad with all of the shill bidding. I am watching 3 identical items on ebay. They are all PSA. I mean they are identical. They all close within 3 days of each other. Two of them are currently at around $10 and the one being sold by probstein is already at $30. The current high bidder has 400 bids this month and over 50% are with Probstein. Really, ebay!? Give me a break!!!
Then why don't you focus on the $10 cards and ignore the $30 cards? If more people did that, some of the smaller sellers might be more willing to auction off cards instead of seeing their items sell for peanuts. I know I fit into that category......just gets old seeing their SGC 3's sell for as much as my PSA 5's.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Then why don't you focus on the $10 cards and ignore the $30 cards? If more people did that, some of the smaller sellers might be more willing to auction off cards instead of seeing their items sell for peanuts. I know I fit into that category......just gets old seeing their SGC 3's sell for as much as my PSA 5's.
Put a great looking card up and do everything right and it won't go for peanuts. Too many people looking for great cards to let them go for nothing, imo....
Old 05-25-2016, 12:32 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Put a great looking card up and do everything right and it won't go for peanuts. Too many people looking for great cards to let them go for nothing, imo....

+1
Old 05-26-2016, 04:52 AM
Robert Williams

I can only go by experience.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:58 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post

I do ignore Probstein items. Actually, I have never even bid on a Probstein auction. I refuse to do business with him. But that is just me. I just was doing a search and I came across this issue, which is why I posted.

Last edited by jimjim; 05-26-2016 at 04:58 AM.