NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-13-2014, 06:55 PM
Michael

Wink

Brian - thanks for the kind words. The '60 Post Mantle was probably one of the first baseball cards I ever had. I followed that up in the summers of '61, '62, and 63 accompanying my mom to the store to advise her on what boxes of cereal to get. So besides the beauty of the card itself, there are the memories attached to it. Now, if I could just afford a nice '52 Topps Mantle before Matty buys them all up.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:43 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Not baseball but a card I can't believe was only $2...it just came today!

It's a 1924 tobacco card of Sir Isaac Newton, the Babe Ruth of physics...minus the womanizing!

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/

Last edited by jason.1969; 11-13-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Man, I love just looking at the stuff you guys have picked up!

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 11-17-2014, 03:52 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Musial entered 1954 at 257 HRs. Notably, two of the three players enjoyed their final Topps card in the 1953 set. The third was a bit more contemporary to Ott.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:26 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
Musial entered 1954 at 257 HRs. Notably, two of the three players enjoyed their final Topps card in the 1953 set. The third was a bit more contemporary to Ott.
Ralph Kiner and Johnny Mize I believe and the 3rd one I am still struggling with but will hopefully figure it out. I think it is Al Simmons.

Last edited by jb67; 11-17-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:40 PM
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb67 View Post
Ralph Kiner and Johnny Mize I believe and the 3rd one I am still struggling with but will hopefully figure it out. I think it is Al Simmons.
I was going to say Mize also but his card is with the Yankees and the question was with what 3 NL players unless you count Mize when he was with the N.Y. Baseball Giants, but it was his last Topps card. But definitely Kiner, hands down.

Never mind, late to the party.

Last edited by jthorst75; 11-17-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Duane Clark

Here is one of my recent acquisitions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.8 KB, 225 views)
Old 11-17-2014, 03:57 PM
Duane Clark

Another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.9 KB, 225 views)
Old 11-17-2014, 04:55 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

One of these days I hope to join the club with a high-grade big time card. But in the meantime, I am so excited about the great stuff that came in today's mail--

At long last, and thanks to a kind Net54 member, the Eau Claire Bears Hank Aaron minor league mini-bobble!

And three vintage Jackie Robinson mags (1949, 1950, 1951), three more Isaac Newtons, a '69 Joe Morgan, and a '64 Killebrew!

Old 11-17-2014, 06:34 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Really well done!! Kiner and Mize are correct. Meanwhile, Simmons was AL, but the right answer is essentially the Al Simmons of the NL.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:42 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

I am counting Mize because 300+ of his HRs were with NL teams (Cards, Giants). Ditto for Kiner even though he played for the Tribe a bit at the end.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:53 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

That was a great trivia question. Thanks for making me strain (exercise) my brain a little.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:42 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Just to close the book on the trivia question, the final NL 300 clubber was Chuck Klein...exactly 30 HRs while playing for the Phils, Cubs, and Pirates.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:34 AM
Bill Gregory

I got Kiner within about 10 seconds. It just took thinking about when his rookie year was.

1946. When you think of what he accomplished, playing on that terrible Pittsburgh team all those years, Kiner is easily one of the top five pure home run hitters in the history of the game. He lead the NL in home runs his rookie season with 23 round-trippers. Then he led the Major Leagues in home runs for the next six seasons.

Pretty amazing.

Ok, back to the pickups. Nothing really big, jut a few more Brewers came in. I'll post them because...what the heck.

All I can say is thank God for Robin Yount, because Tim Johnson was awful. He had 1,408 career plate appearances, and a -0.5 WAR for his career.

Tim Johnson never hit a home run.
Tim Johnson was a career .223 hitter.
Tim Johnson's career OPS was .539.

In 1976, Johnson hit a whopping .275 in 306 at bats.
In 1977, Johnson hit .061. He had 2 hits in 33 at bats. His slugging was .091. His OPS + was -23.

Thank God for Robin Yount.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:40 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Love these 1975s. Do you have a plan to display them? Maybe just the Brewers? Alphabetically, I'm assuming the bookends would be Aaron and Yount.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:47 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It is not signed but I do like the look of it and it goes well with my other Dodgers of the era:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-18-2014, 01:59 PM
Paul Carek

Slowly chipping away at my 1956 Topps set. This one (a birthday present) is in the mail as I type.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 091714 (12).jpg (78.9 KB, 251 views)
Old 11-18-2014, 02:47 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Nice looking Aaron. A very nice birthday gift!
Old 11-18-2014, 02:51 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Great looking '56 Aaron!
Old 11-18-2014, 04:28 PM
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
It is not signed but I do like the look of it and it goes well with my other Dodgers of the era:

I really like that photo also. The picture was used on his 1951 Bowman, 1953 Stahl Meyer cards, and 1952 Berk Ross card. There is an overpriced Type 1 team issue example of this photo on eBay right now.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:49 PM

Default 53 Bowman Browns

Past week arrivals
Courtney

Lenhardt

Stuart

Wertz

Ken
Old 11-20-2014, 09:57 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Love these 1975s. Do you have a plan to display them? Maybe just the Brewers? Alphabetically, I'm assuming the bookends would be Aaron and Yount.
Jason, yes. They will all eventually be displayed. Not just the Brewers, but the entire 1975 set will be displayed. My T206 set will be displayed as I build it, ditto for my 1953 Bowman Color set, any other sets, and my master sets of Roberto Clemente and Robin Yount. Once I decide upon, and purchase my new scanner, my entire collection will be displayed, baseball and football, and once I have branched out, vintage basketball and hockey. That's part of the reason why eye appeal is so important to me.

Besides my job real job, which was working as a stockbroker, I also did web development. I'm completely self taught, having learned HTML and CSS; I am also conversant in XML. I am very old school. I have always used notepad to write my websites from scratch, though now it's notepad ++. Now that I can no longer work anymore, my main focus will be on developing my website. I'll be blogging about baseball-both the history of the games, the current seasons as they unfold, focusing on the Brewers and the history of the Milwaukee Braves, and also hosting the cards from my collection. Depending on the amount of work that maintaining the blog ultimately demands, I might also blog about football. I love the game, and my Packers, and the Packers certainly have a much richer history than the Brewers. I also plan on providing a good deal of information I've picked up over time to help new collectors avoid things that could get them in trouble (ie avoiding fakes, how to assess which people to buy from, etc). I'm not sure exactly what different applications I'll be implementing.

The majority of the site will likely be hand coded, though I am considering Joomla, as one CMS would be really nice from an organizational standpoint. I expect I'll use a custom Wordpress template for blogging. Now that HTML 5 is becoming the web standard, and there should be no more cross browser hacks needed, it should go quite smoothly. My ultimate goal is to build a baseball site unlike any that's ever been attempted before, one that combines together the modern game, the game's history, and our hobby. I am interested in collecting autographs, and if I can do so safely, I'll expand my site to include that. Really, there will be room for baseball cards, autographs, and memorabilia. if it's successful, I could generate a little bit of income from advertising to supplement my disability income.

I'm in the planning and development phase right now, which always takes me a long time.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:49 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Jason, yes. They will all eventually be displayed. Not just the Brewers, but the entire 1975 set will be displayed. My T206 set will be displayed as I build it, ditto for my 1953 Bowman Color set, any other sets, and my master sets of Roberto Clemente and Robin Yount. Once I decide upon, and purchase my new scanner, my entire collection will be displayed, baseball and football, and once I have branched out, vintage basketball and hockey. That's part of the reason why eye appeal is so important to me.

Besides my job real job, which was working as a stockbroker, I also did web development. I'm completely self taught, having learned HTML and CSS; I am also conversant in XML. I am very old school. I have always used notepad to write my websites from scratch, though now it's notepad ++. Now that I can no longer work anymore, my main focus will be on developing my website. I'll be blogging about baseball-both the history of the games, the current seasons as they unfold, focusing on the Brewers and the history of the Milwaukee Braves, and also hosting the cards from my collection. Depending on the amount of work that maintaining the blog ultimately demands, I might also blog about football. I love the game, and my Packers, and the Packers certainly have a much richer history than the Brewers. I also plan on providing a good deal of information I've picked up over time to help new collectors avoid things that could get them in trouble (ie avoiding fakes, how to assess which people to buy from, etc). I'm not sure exactly what different applications I'll be implementing.

The majority of the site will likely be hand coded, though I am considering Joomla, as one CMS would be really nice from an organizational standpoint. I expect I'll use a custom Wordpress template for blogging. Now that HTML 5 is becoming the web standard, and there should be no more cross browser hacks needed, it should go quite smoothly. My ultimate goal is to build a baseball site unlike any that's ever been attempted before, one that combines together the modern game, the game's history, and our hobby. I am interested in collecting autographs, and if I can do so safely, I'll expand my site to include that. Really, there will be room for baseball cards, autographs, and memorabilia. if it's successful, I could generate a little bit of income from advertising to supplement my disability income.

I'm in the planning and development phase right now, which always takes me a long time.
Bill I can't wait to read your blogs and check out some of your collection. You have a unique ability to capture the readers interest with your knowledge of history and how you write about it. Good luck with your web delevopment.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:13 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

After a bit of a dry spell, this Mantle arrived in the mail today! It really only has a hint of surface wear, the scan REALLY exaggerates it. Great looking card in hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63 Mantle.jpg (70.2 KB, 217 views)
Old 11-20-2014, 04:23 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb67 View Post
Bill I can't wait to read your blogs and check out some of your collection. You have a unique ability to capture the readers interest with your knowledge of history and how you write about it. Good luck with your web delevopment.
Thank you I'd love to have it ready by the start of next season.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:18 PM
Tom

On November 3, 2014, I added 1973 Topps # 641 Reds team to my collection, thus finishing the 1973 Topps set...
Old 11-20-2014, 09:57 AM
Bill Gregory

Not sure why that duplicated my post. Oh well.

Here's my latest addition. I won this from Joe's most recent auction. First ungraded '53 Bowman. It should be here tomorrow. My fondness for the Brooklyn Dodgers has been growing, and after landing several T206 Brooklyn Dodgers, I've decided to start working on a collection of them, too.

This is a really nice ex/ex+ Carl Erskine, and I'm looking forward to adding the rest of the Dodgers pretty soon. While I like them all, the Pee Wee Reese and Campanella cards are two of my favorites from the entire set. But once the new year starts, then I can start making some real buys. I'm just tiding myself over in the mean time, and the '75 set helps me stay on my course.

Last edited by the 'stache; 11-20-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:11 PM
J.O.N

My latest pick ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:37 PM
Jeff

Always wanted to add a nice 1959 Roy Campanella Benefit game ticket stub to my collection!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1959 Roy Campanella Benefit Game Ticket PSA Authentic.jpg (78.3 KB, 187 views)

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 11-26-2014, 02:14 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Not sure if you guys are a bad influence on me...finally ended up with what may well be a mid-grade card! Yes, the highly sought after Ron Tompkins rookie!

I was imagining VG when I ordered it. Now I'm wondering if it could even be EX. Price was right too!

Last edited by jason.1969; 11-26-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:07 PM
Matt

I want that Reggie 6.5 badly. What a card! Add that to those BVG Micks you hauled in and you are on FIRE.

The print quality on the 57 Mays is really crystal clear. Not common for the issue at all.

Sean just laced me with the most beautifully centered 76 Brett I have come across. The 73 Schmidt was too cheap to pass up with nice color and no tilt.

Last edited by MattyC; 11-26-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:26 AM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I want that Reggie 6.5 badly. What a card! Add that to those BVG Micks you hauled in and you are on FIRE.

The print quality on the 57 Mays is really crystal clear. Not common for the issue at all.

Sean just laced me with the most beautifully centered 76 Brett I have come across. The 73 Schmidt was too cheap to pass up with nice color and no tilt.

MattyC, thanks for the comments. The Reggie was a raw pickup that I submitted and just got back. I did not realize how good the print was on the Mays until I saw the card in hand.

That Brett is about as good as it gets with centering. A Schmidt rookie is always a safe bet under a 100 with that kind of centering.

Last edited by jb67; 11-27-2014 at 07:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-29-2014, 02:53 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Here is my Small Business Saturday haul. I am lucky to live near a card shop with cards from last century still! The Feller postcard is fairly beat up, but the other cards are pretty nice relative to most of my stuff.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:35 PM
$teve O.

Quote:
Here is my Small Business Saturday haul. I am lucky to live near a card shop with cards from last century still! The Feller postcard is fairly beat up, but the other cards are pretty nice relative to most of my stuff.

Nice pick ups Jason! The Feller is a 39-46 Salutation.Love the J.R Richards card.He was a hell of a pitcher!
Old 11-29-2014, 06:44 PM

Default November pickups

I received this nice '71 Topps 5th series card today. It's a small milestone for me. My 100th card from this set; all 5th or 6th series; all NM/MT SGC 88s.

71 T 533 M Ryan 112914.jpg
Old 11-29-2014, 11:03 PM
Bill Gregory

This has been a great month.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default some post war recent buys

''
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dimaggio48.jpg (77.9 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg campanella.jpg (66.0 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg mantle65.jpg (65.8 KB, 125 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:39 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Wow! What a great DiMaggio card!! Someday I hope to make that same pickup, but I know mine won't be as nice.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Wow! What a great DiMaggio card!! Someday I hope to make that same pickup, but I know mine won't be as nice.
They tend to have registration issues especially noticeable n the face. I searched a long time to find one this focused and otherwise nice.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:45 PM

Peter, I must join yourself and the others in applauding your Leaf Joe DiMaggio. The clarity of yours is so perfect and in synch. Somehow their printer "messed up" and got this one right on the button, unlike 90+% of the others. Well done. ---Brian Powell
Old 11-30-2014, 02:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Brian thanks, yeah a lot of them for whatever reason are slightly off, like this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.jpg (77.2 KB, 101 views)

Old 12-01-2014, 12:17 PM

Default Yaz in 1960