NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: What do you think about 42?
I loved it. Great movie. 34 25.19%
I liked it. Good movie. 39 28.89%
Not that good. I really didn't like it. 6 4.44%
Awful. I left early. 0 0%
I haven't seen it yet. 49 36.30%
I don't plan to see this movie. 7 5.19%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Matt Hall

I too agree Todd, but my girlfriend and I have worked hard to preserve his innocence as long as possible... So he will see this movie eventually. I'm surprised this movie got the rating it did. Not judging by historical accuracy, just judging by how strict the MPAA is on language. If they would have dropped the f-word twice in this movie it would be rated R. While I think it would be bad having an 8 year old walking around dropping F-bombs, the N-word could get a kid in serious trouble. Thank god I have a good boy, but there are some bad kids out there.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:17 PM
Matt Hall

Scott, I thought Harrison Ford did a great job with his portion of the script. They could have just dropped the score around some of his lines and, presto! A slightly better movie. I do agree much was left to be desired in the overall film.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:20 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

This is another great thread. What are member's opinions about Jackie Robinson as a real life player? Overrated, underrated?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 PM
Jason Stricker

Just saw 42 and loved it. Very good film, very moving. Harrison Ford should get an Oscar nod. Guy who played Robinson did a great job as well.

I took my wife who knew who Robinson was, but didn't know much, and she enjoyed it as well.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
This is another great thread. What are member's opinions about Jackie Robinson as a real life player? Overrated, underrated?
Kevin,

In a word, Robinson was, "dynamic."

He definitely was not overrated, in my humble opinion. Robinson was a force to be reckoned with.

Best Regards,

Eric
Old 04-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
Scott, I thought Harrison Ford did a great job with his portion of the script. They could have just dropped the score around some of his lines and, presto! A slightly better movie. I do agree much was left to be desired in the overall film.
I think most of the actors/actresses did a great job. To me it was the script that was weak, and the score was used to prop it up. But you might be right - perhaps the score took away from the script. Tough to say, but I'll go re-watch it with that in mind.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:12 PM
David H.

I loved it. The feel of the movie was perfect. Emotional response is what I look for in historical movies of this bent.

Lou Gehrig Items
Christy Mathewson Cards
Addie Joss Cards
E103 (30/30 100%)
T206 NY Highlanders (100%)
1956 Topps Yankees (100%)
T210 Series 3 Orange Borders (9/20 45%)
Old 05-04-2013, 04:10 PM
James Wymer

Anyone for 42-2? I enjoyed the movie very much and would like to see them tell the rest.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 05-04-2013, 04:16 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wymers Auction View Post
Anyone for 42-2? I enjoyed the movie very much and would like to see them tell the rest.
Would love it if they could pull it off. I just don't see it happening. I did hear the lead actor saying in an interview, he thought it would happen.. but I hardly think his opinion carries much weight
Old 05-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Dan Bretta

Took my 12 year old son to see it last Friday and we both thought it was excellent...tons of questions about Jackie from my son after the movie. Harrison Ford was great. I guess I didn't notice the background music that some are complaining about...the only time music in movies bothers me is when it's ten times louder than the rest of the movie.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Took my 12 year old son to see it last Friday and we both thought it was excellent...tons of questions about Jackie from my son after the movie. Harrison Ford was great. I guess I didn't notice the background music that some are complaining about...the only time music in movies bothers me is when it's ten times louder than the rest of the movie.
One of the questions a friend who wasn't that up on baseball history asked me: "Was Jackie Robinson really that much of a home run hitter?"

That was a valid question, but the home runs were more interesting and dramatic to the general public.