NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-25-2020, 06:00 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
The 1978 Miami Orioles were the Orioles class A affiliate, in the Florida State League. They finished with a record of 76-65, which was good for 1st place in the Southern Division. They went on to defeat the Lakeland Tigers, 2 games to 1, to win the championship that year.

The Orioles were managed by future O's coach Jimmy Williams. Not a lot of future major leaguers were on the roster, although John Shelby played a few games that year. Drungo Hazewood, who played briefly for the Orioles, is probably the biggest name to make the team photo that year.

1978 Team Photo
Were the 1978 Miami Orioles even prepared for a team photo?

I'm liking the small schedules as well as the programs...

Last edited by Mark70Z; 02-25-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:58 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 57 (February 26, 2020 – 057)

Brooks had a couple of baseball heroes growing up in Little Rock, Arkansas. He was a St. Louis Cardinals fan so Stan Musial was one of this favorite players. In the 8th grade Brooks was given an English composition assignment about his career ambition and he entitled the paper, “Why I Want to Play Professional Baseball.” His desire was to play professional baseball for the St. Louis Cardinals (so glad that part of the goal didn’t happen). Another all-time favorite player was a fellow Arkansas native George Kell (who was inducted to the HOF the same year as Brooks). George Kell was traded to the Orioles to fill in at third base in 1956 and 1957 till Brooks was ready to take the position full time. Kell had nothing but good things to say about Brooks; he stated, “You could talk about Brooks all day but he possessed three things you must have, he could hit, he could field – the best ever – and he was a class act.”

This is a photo of Brooks and George at Spring Training in Scottsdale, AZ in 1957 comparing bat grips. The picture was taken at a slightly weird angle, but still looks pretty cool.

Day 57 a (2).jpg
Old 02-26-2020, 05:52 AM

Default WS Photos

World Series 1970 at Memorial Stadium. Cool to see the athletes in "street clothes".
I drove Frank Robinson and his wife in my car about two years ago. I showed them this picture. The wife thought it was SO FUNNY! "Frank look how skinny you where! " "Look at that collar " "Look at your Afro" They both got a good laugh from the photo.
Rose looks so Young-Love the skinny tie
Weaver with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth.
and Bench looks like he was just robbed..... maybe he was!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brooks poloriod.jpg (65.8 KB, 154 views)
Old 02-26-2020, 07:09 AM
Mike Magee

Default Gil Coan

I just noticed that Gil Coan passed away earlier this month at 97 years old. He recorded the first hit in modern Orioles history.

Here'a photo of his 1954 Esskay card (not mine). RIP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gil Coan.jpg (27.7 KB, 149 views)
Old 02-26-2020, 07:45 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1954 Aberdeen Pheasants

The 1954 Aberdeen Pheasants were the Orioles Class C affiliate. They played in the Northern League. The Pheasants were affiliated with the
Orioles until 1971 and saw a lot of future O's go through there.

The 1954 Pheasants finished 60-75 and were managed by Barney Lutz. The only future Oriole to play that year was Dick Luebke.
I was happy when I found the program, but thrilled to come across some player photos.

1954 Pheasants program

1954 Aberdeen Pheasants.jpg

5x7 Player Photos - George Blash, Paul Carson, Robert Ehrke, William Hain, John Hoffman, William Hurst, Arthur Hunt, Roy Leafgren,
Barney Lutz, George Morris, Reginald Pitre, Rolf Scheel and the batboys

1954 Aberdeen Pheasants 01.jpg 1954 Aberdeen Pheasants 02.jpg 1954 Aberdeen Pheasants 03.jpg 1954 Aberdeen Pheasants 04.jpg 1954 Aberdeen Pheasants 05.jpg 1954 Aberdeen Pheasants 06.jpg 1954 Aberdeen Pheasants 07.jpg

Dick Luebke Postcard

Dick Luebke.jpg
Old 02-26-2020, 07:55 AM
Alan Strout

Default Gil Coan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfan008 View Post
I just noticed that Gil Coan passed away earlier this month at 97 years old. He recorded the first hit in modern Orioles history.

Here'a photo of his 1954 Esskay card (not mine). RIP
I wondered how long it would take for some Esskay cards to be posted. I'm working on the set, but a long way from completing it. I have 21 from 1954, but none from 1955.

It's interesting to note, that Esskay used the Orioles team issued photos for their sets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coan, Gil 1.jpg (72.2 KB, 155 views)
Old 02-26-2020, 03:25 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
You have to love "Steady Eddie". Wasn't it at Charlotte where he learned to switch hit? Then, the next year win the AL Rookie of the Year
Eddie generally credits Jimmie Shaffer (the Charlotte manager that year) for making him into a switch hitter.

Back in 2016, I was fortunate to be invited to the 40th Anniversary Reunion of that 1976 club (which was the first year it was an Orioles affiliate) and took this picture of Eddie & Jimmie:

Old 02-26-2020, 06:00 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
World Series 1970 at Memorial Stadium. Cool to see the athletes in "street clothes".
I drove Frank Robinson and his wife in my car about two years ago. I showed them this picture. The wife thought it was SO FUNNY! "Frank look how skinny you where! " "Look at that collar " "Look at your Afro" They both got a good laugh from the photo.
Rose looks so Young-Love the skinny tie
Weaver with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth.
and Bench looks like he was just robbed..... maybe he was!
Scott,

While you've showed me these snapshots in the past I still think they are AWESOME! It's really hard to pick a favorite since I like them all and all are very unique in their own way.

Thanks for sharing the story of your drive with Frank and his wife. Frank brought some great memories to the O's fans including myself. I heard that Frank could be a bit rough at shows and such, but each time I've had an interaction with him it was ALWAYS pleasant and sometimes funny...
Old 02-26-2020, 06:05 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
The 1954 Aberdeen Pheasants were the Orioles Class C affiliate. They played in the Northern League. The Pheasants were affiliated with the Orioles until 1971 and saw a lot of future O's go through there. The 1954 Pheasants finished 60-75 and were managed by Barney Lutz. The only future Oriole to play that year was Dick Luebke.
I was happy when I found the program, but thrilled to come across some player photos.

1954 Pheasants program

5x7 Player Photos - George Blash, Paul Carson, Robert Ehrke, William Hain, John Hoffman, William Hurst, Arthur Hunt, Roy Leafgren,
Barney Lutz, George Morris, Reginald Pitre, Rolf Scheel and the batboys

Dick Luebke Postcard
Alan,

Where do you come up with all these great minor league items!

Just when you have an opportunity to expand on collecting minor league Oriole affiliates. I believe you've discussed that you were an Oriole fan in Maine, but how the progression to ALL minor league affiliates?
Old 02-26-2020, 06:07 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
Eddie generally credits Jimmie Shaffer (the Charlotte manager that year) for making him into a switch hitter.

Back in 2016, I was fortunate to be invited to the 40th Anniversary Reunion of that 1976 club (which was the first year it was an Orioles affiliate) and took this picture of Eddie & Jimmie:
LOVE the picture Bill!
Old 02-27-2020, 01:56 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 58 (February 27, 2020 – 058)

Late 60’s early 70’s JD McCarthy Postcard. I see a lot of these JDM postcards of certain players, but over the years I don’t see Brooks show up often at all. I really don’t know a lot about these postcards, but the picture used on this one is from 1969 since Brooks has the 100th Anniversary patch on his left sleeve. His uniform looks kind of white in the B&W picture, but he’s wearing his grey road uniform.

JD McCarthy Postcard

Day 58 a.jpg
Day 58 b.jpg
Old 02-27-2020, 05:34 AM

Hi! New here and loving all this Orioles stuff!

I think the reason you don't see many JD McCarthy Brooks Robinson postcards is he usually used Orioles team postcards for autographs. He was very good about replying to requests back in the day. I have a number of signed team postcards that I got just by writing to him care of the Orioles from 1965-1972 or so. All team postcards. Usually he'd just sign it, somebody would address it and drop it in the mail, no envelope.

Steve
Old 02-27-2020, 06:04 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Alan:

I have to admit to never seeing those Red Q Print Centers Rochester cards before (one of the reasons I love this thread).

Here is Mike Boddicker's Red Wings warm up jacket..Mike joked to me one time that he spent so much time in Rochester (parts of six seasons), he probably could have been elected mayor:

Old 02-27-2020, 08:30 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:

Here is Mike Boddicker's Red Wings warm up jacket..Mike joked to me one time that he spent so much time in Rochester (parts of six seasons), he probably could have been elected mayor:

Bill,

Nice jacket. It's interesting that the tags give you a history of the players that wore the same jacket. So much stuff in the minor leagues are reused over and over.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:48 AM
Alan Strout

Default Orioles Minor Leagues

Quote:
Alan,

Where do you come up with all these great minor league items!

Just when you have an opportunity to expand on collecting minor league Oriole affiliates. I believe you've discussed that you were an Oriole fan in Maine, but how the progression to ALL minor league affiliates?
Mark,

I did grow up an Orioles fan in Maine. In 1964, at age six, I fell in love with the Orioles bird on their hat and Brooks Robinson. Back in those days, I collected baseball cards like most kids. By the late 60's, I had progressed to yearbooks and some programs. I came across some Orioles team issued postcards and a Norm Siebern 8x10 photo at a card show in Nashua, NH and was hooked on team issued stuff.

My interest in minor league items can probably be traced back to my first set of TCMA cards (1978 Rochester Red Wings). I've always had an interest in family history and geneology. Since the minor leagues are part of a franchise's history, the progression to Orioles minor league items was logical. That's the short answer. I'll expand of some items as the year progresses. I will say that it is amazing how much stuff a minor league team will just give you if you show interest and ask them. Needless to say, all the current O's affiliates know who I am...
Old 02-27-2020, 09:04 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1961 Rochester Red Wings

Here are some photos from a baseball clinic sponsored by the Rochester Red Wings and Southtown Plaza. They are about postcard size and could be considered postcards, rather than photos. I have four photos, Luke Easter, Frank House, Bob Johnson and Fred Valentine. They are all autographed. My guess is these are 1961, since that was the only season Frank House played for the Red Wings. No idea if this is a complete set. Only ones I've ever seen.

1961 Rochester Red Wings Clinic 01.jpg 1961 Rochester Red Wings Clinic 02.jpg
Old 02-27-2020, 10:19 AM

WOW! Never even heard of those! Thanks for posting.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:00 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelucille View Post
Hi! New here and loving all this Orioles stuff!

I think the reason you don't see many JD McCarthy Brooks Robinson postcards is he usually used Orioles team postcards for autographs. He was very good about replying to requests back in the day. I have a number of signed team postcards that I got just by writing to him care of the Orioles from 1965-1972 or so. All team postcards. Usually he'd just sign it, somebody would address it and drop it in the mail, no envelope.

Steve
Steve,

Welcome aboard and great to have you viewing the Orioles thread. Would love to see anything O's related, and or any and all teams that are connected to the O's, from your collection. Of course we like feedback as well...

Yeah, I wasn't sure on the Brooksie JDM. That definitely could be the reason. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:01 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Alan:

I have to admit to never seeing those Red Q Print Centers Rochester cards before (one of the reasons I love this thread).

Awesome jacket Bill. So cool how the players would get hand me downs. Wonder who else wore the jacket...

Last edited by Mark70Z; 02-27-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:03 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Here are some photos from a baseball clinic sponsored by the Rochester Red Wings and Southtown Plaza. They are about postcard size and could be considered postcards, rather than photos. I have four photos, Luke Easter, Frank House, Bob Johnson and Fred Valentine. They are all autographed. My guess is these are 1961, since that was the only season Frank House played for the Red Wings. No idea if this is a complete set. Only ones I've ever seen.
So cool. Of course never seen these before and the signatures give it an added touch in my view. Hey, at least I've "heard of" the Red Wings team!
Old 02-27-2020, 04:18 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Awesome jacket Bill. So cool how the players would get hand me downs. Wonder who else wore the jacket...
I'm sure Alan (and a few others) may recognize the others on the tag..

Gerry Pirtle was with the Red Wings in 1979 (and actually had a cup of coffee with Montreal the year prior)

Tommy "Skid" Rowe was with the Orioles organization for a few seasons in the late 1980's and early 1990's
Old 02-28-2020, 02:19 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 59 (February 28, 2020 – 059)

Gunther Brewing Company was one of the original beer sponsor for the Baltimore Orioles and became the primary sponsor in 1956. Their slogan for the Orioles back in 1954 were – “Get on the Oriole bandwagon with Gunther”. If I’m not mistaken they had two different ads on the scoreboard at the time within Memorial Stadium; one with the beer bottle cap and one with the bottle.

This is a relatively common Orioles poster, but not a lot are in the best of shape and some, when found, have been folded. In 1959 Gunther put out a team poster, around 24”x36”, of the Orioles pictured in front of the scoreboard with the Gunther ad predominantly shown.

1959 Gunther Beer Baltimore Orioles team poster.

Day 59 a.jpg
Old 02-28-2020, 08:17 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1954-55 Pine Bluff Judges

Pine Bluff, Arkansas hosted the Orioles Class C representative from the Cotton States League for several years. The Judges has been affiliated with the St Louis Browns previous to 1954.

The 1954 Pine Bluff Judges finished with a record of 47-71. Attendance for the whole season was 24,196 (an average of 410/game). I wish I had more items to share from that team, but it's amazing that anything survives from some of the obscure teams. I'm lucky to have a program.

1954 Pine Bluff Judges.jpg

Attendance in 1955 continued to be an issue and on June 16, the Judges moved from Pine Bluff to Meridian, Mississippi. The team was 25-31, while in Pine Bluff, but rebounded to finish with a winning record of 59-56, after moving to Meridian. Unfortunately, neither of the Judges teams produced any future major league Orioles.

I've never seen anything from Meridian, but here's the 1955 Judges program.
It's not mine, but I hope to have first chance at it, if it ever hits the market. Hint! Hint! Donny

1955 Pine Bluff Judges.jpg
Old 02-28-2020, 08:07 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Pine Bluff, Arkansas hosted the Orioles Class C representative from the Cotton States League for several years. The Judges has been affiliated with the St Louis Browns previous to 1954.

The 1954 Pine Bluff Judges finished with a record of 47-71. Attendance for the whole season was 24,196 (an average of 410/game). I wish I had more items to share from that team, but it's amazing that anything survives from some of the obscure teams. I'm lucky to have a program.

Attendance in 1955 continued to be an issue and on June 16, the Judges moved from Pine Bluff to Meridian, Mississippi. The team was 25-31, while in Pine Bluff, but rebounded to finish with a winning record of 59-56, after moving to Meridian. Unfortunately, neither of the Judges teams produced any future major league Orioles.
Very interesting information on the Pine Bluff/Meridian Judges. How can a team survive with that type of attendance. Does the program mention the Orioles anywhere within the program?
Old 02-29-2020, 05:04 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Stick with the Birds!

Day 60 (February 29, 2020 – 060)

On the last day of the month, as O’s fans, we really need to remember to “STICK WITH THOSE BIRDS”. This is a relatively small Orioles banner from the ‘60’s that remind us to do just that. Really like the original Hartzell bird (1954 -1964) from the early days of the Orioles. It’s tough on an O’s fan nowadays, but I’m a lifer so we’ll just have to live in the past when it comes to the great Oriole teams. Hopefully in my lifetime I’ll see them back on top (I can hope).

Day 60 a Stick with those birds.jpg

Not only did I really like the Hartzell bird, but The Shoulder Patch Bird (unsure of the read name) was a favorite as well; just a neat vintage look to the Orioles uniform. Below is a picture taken by Bob Olen of Brooks from 1961 with the Bird on the shoulder.

1961 Photograph

Day 60 b.jpg

Quote: "Watching Brooks [Robinson] play third is like watching Oscar Robertson play basketball every day." Frank Robinson

I found a ticket envelope produced by The Oles Envelope Corporation that was interesting. On the back has a reminder to “Stick with the Birds”.

Day 60 c Ticket Envelope Stick with the Birds.jpg
Day 60 d Ticket Envelope Stick with the Birds back.jpg
Old 02-29-2020, 06:50 AM
Bill H@e1ig

I was going through some items in my collection last week and ran across this Jim Palmer personal check (which was obtained through his ex wife Joni) and noted that it was dated 02/29/96

Happy Leap Day!

Old 02-29-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Day 59 (February 28, 2020 – 059)

Gunther Brewing Company was one of the original beer sponsor for the Baltimore Orioles and became the primary sponsor in 1956. Their slogan for the Orioles back in 1954 were – “Get on the Oriole bandwagon with Gunther”. If I’m not mistaken they had two different ads on the scoreboard at the time within Memorial Stadium; one with the beer bottle cap and one with the bottle.

This is a relatively common Orioles poster, but not a lot are in the best of shape and some, when found, have been folded. In 1959 Gunther put out a team poster, around 24”x36”, of the Orioles pictured in front of the scoreboard with the Gunther ad predominantly shown.

1959 Gunther Beer Baltimore Orioles team poster.

Attachment 387145
Yes, the original scoreboard had a bottle cap, which was later replaced with the bottle. Here is a picture from 1954 that appeared in the Baltimore Sun, with a caption that read "Gunther presents the world's largest scoreboard to citizens of Baltimore".

You can see my look back at the history of Memorial Stadium's scoreboards here:

http://fleersticker.blogspot.com/201...l-stadium.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Memorial Stadium Scoreboard 1954.jpg (72.9 KB, 126 views)
Old 02-29-2020, 07:56 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1954 Spring Training

As I attend Orioles spring training games in Sarasota this month, I'm reminded just how much it has changed over the years.

Here are some of the earliest items from my collection. They are from the Orioles first spring training in 1954. The Orioles began spring training in Yuma, Arizona. I would love to add a program from a game in Yuma, but have yet to come across one.

As you can see from the O's spring schedule, towards the end of spring training, teams would travel from city to city playing exhibition games. It looks like the Orioles and Cubs got to know each other fairly well.

1954 PressMedia Guide.jpg SCAN8043.JPG

Here are a couple of programs before the Orioles started the regular season.

Program vs Chicago Cubs in Dallas (March 29-30)

1954 Spring Training (Dallas).jpg SCAN8044.jpg

Program vs St Louis Cardinals in St Louis (April 10-11)

1954 Spring Training (St Louis).jpg

If anyone has any other programs from the Orioles 1954 spring training. Please post!!!
Old 02-29-2020, 12:34 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleerfan View Post
Yes, the original scoreboard had a bottle cap, which was later replaced with the bottle. Here is a picture from 1954 that appeared in the Baltimore Sun, with a caption that read "Gunther presents the world's largest scoreboard to citizens of Baltimore".

You can see my look back at the history of Memorial Stadium's scoreboards here:
That is a GREAT read and nice pictures to go along. Thanks for the link. I can’t believe I haven’t seen that till now.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:36 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Jim Palmer

Quote:
I was going through some items in my collection last week and ran across this Jim Palmer personal check (which was obtained through his ex wife Joni) and noted that it was dated 02/29/96

Happy Leap Day!
Nice Bill. I don't have much related to Palmer; just a few things. Here's a relatively early signed piece.

Jim Palmer early signed.jpg
Old 03-01-2020, 05:00 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 61 (March 1, 2020 – 061)

In 1983 there was local set of baseball cards called “The Franchise” which were 40 cards related to Brooks Robinson’s career. This set is fairly easily obtained and has some really neat and some really boring cards. There were also two variations to this set; one has a home plate with a baseball located inside the plate on the upper left hand side of the card and the other variation has a HOF logo on the top left hand side of the card. Therefore, I’d really be covered for the next 80 days if I just posted one of these cards, per day, and we’d be good to go… Of course, I’m half way decent, so I won’t do it (even though I thought about it…). I’ll just post a couple examples from both of these sets.

1983 The Franchise (home plate/baseball in center)

Day 61 a.jpg

1983 The Franchise (HOF logo)

Day 61 b.jpg
Old 03-01-2020, 06:07 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Day 61 (March 1, 2020 – 061)

In 1983 there was local set of baseball cards called “The Franchise” which were 40 cards related to Brooks Robinson’s career. This set is fairly easily obtained and has some really neat and some really boring cards. There were also two variations to this set; one has a home plate with a baseball located inside the plate on the upper left hand side of the card and the other variation has a HOF logo on the top left hand side of the card. Therefore, I’d really be covered for the next 80 days if I just posted one of these cards, per day, and we’d be good to go… Of course, I’m half way decent, so I won’t do it (even though I thought about it…). I’ll just post a couple examples from both of these sets.

1983 The Franchise (home plate/baseball in center)

Attachment 387371

1983 The Franchise (HOF logo)

Attachment 387372
Mark:

I've always liked that set (years ago I had Brooks sign the first card). Am I dreaming or was there also a cassette tape narrated by Brooks in which he describes each card?

Love that Palmer item.....That certainly was an early signature of his.

Bill
Old 03-01-2020, 12:46 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark:

I've always liked that set (years ago I had Brooks sign the first card). Am I dreaming or was there also a cassette tape narrated by Brooks in which he describes each card?
Bill
Bill,

Please picture the autograph when you have a chance. I don’t think I have any of the cards autographed in the set. I really haven’t listened to any of the cassettes, LP records, cartridges, etc. I guess I’ll save that for retirement IF I ever get to that point. If Brooks did do a cassette on the set it would be interesting for sure. Of course you may be dreaming.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:10 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 62 (March 2, 2020 – 062)

Brooks at a spring training field getting some action at 3rd snaring a liner. The picture is signed in blue pen and the autograph I would say is from the 70’s period. This picture was used on the back of the ’64 Topps Giants #50 card and the front of his ’71 Topps Greatest Moments #9 card. Great shot of Brooksie in-action in my view.

Day 62 a.jpg

Below are one of the two cards that picture the diving pose of Brooks as I mentioned above; the 1971 Greatest Moments card. I forgot to scan the back of the card so please forgive me…

1971 Topps Greatest Moments #9

Day 62 b 1971 Greatest Moments #9.jpg

There’s a modern card that used the diving pose as well (there are possibly others as well). It was part of the 1993 Ted Williams set. I picked this autographed card up cheaply; a nice-looking card in my view.

1993 Ted Williams BR8 signed

Day 62 c 1993 Ted Willaims BR8 signed.jpg
Old 03-02-2020, 05:25 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Bill,

Please picture the autograph when you have a chance. I don’t think I have any of the cards autographed in the set. I really haven’t listened to any of the cassettes, LP records, cartridges, etc. I guess I’ll save that for retirement IF I ever get to that point. If Brooks did do a cassette on the set it would be interesting for sure. Of course you may be dreaming.
Mark:

Here you go......I guess I wasn't dreaming after all!

Old 03-02-2020, 07:27 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark:

Here you go......I guess I wasn't dreaming after all!
Nicely signed!

Hmm... was the cassette in some type of holder?
Old 03-02-2020, 07:43 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Nicely signed!

Hmm... was the cassette in some type of holder?
Yes, a standard cassette holder with no markings of any kind. My recollection is that at the time, you could purchase just the card set or the set/cassette "package."
Old 03-02-2020, 07:56 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Yes, a standard cassette holder with no markings of any kind. My recollection is that at the time, you could purchase just the card set or the set/cassette "package."
I probably have the cassette “somewhere”; who knows. I remember that I have a couple cassettes like you described so while going through stuff to scan we’ll see if I can locate the thing. If found, I don’t think I have a cassette player anymore.

I really did think you were dreaming
Old 03-02-2020, 08:00 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
I probably have the cassette “somewhere”; who knows. I remember that I have a couple cassettes like you described so while going through stuff to scan we’ll see if I can locate the thing. If found, I don’t think I have a cassette player anymore.

I really did think you were dreaming
You'll note my set has the HOF logo you mentioned...Perhaps the cassette tape came out around the same time period as that variation?

I may need to hit a Goodwill for a cassette player....
Old 03-02-2020, 08:23 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
You'll note my set has the HOF logo you mentioned...Perhaps the cassette tape came out around the same time period as that variation?

I may need to hit a Goodwill for a cassette player....
Yes; then do a cassette review on here...
Old 03-02-2020, 06:27 PM
Alan Strout

Default Scheible Press Postcards

After a day off to celebrate my mom's 85th birthday, I'm back with another Orioles minor league set to share.

In 1963, Scheible Press printed a set of Rochester Red Wings. While the envelope says nine photos, eleven approximately 4x6 postcards were printed and one 5x7 postcard of Luke Easter. They are nice quality and a set I really like.

The eleven smaller postcards included Joe Altobelli, Steve Bilko, Sam Bowens, Don Brummer, Nelson Chittum, Luke Easter, Darrell Johnson/Chris Krug, Fred Valentine, Ozzie Virgil, Ray Youngdahl and Ron Kabbes (which is slightly larger than the others)

1963 Scheible Press #1.jpg 1963 Scheible Press #2.jpg 1963 Scheible Press #3.jpg 1963 Scheible Press #4.jpg
7140b_med.jpg

A second Luke Easter was printed. It is 5x7 and probably not intented to be part of the original set, as it is larger than the envelope.

1963 Scheible Press #5.jpg

My guess is that Ron Kabbes, Darrell Johnson/Chris Krug and the 5x7 Luke Easter were not part of the original nine photos. Can anyone confirm??
Old 03-03-2020, 01:59 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
After a day off to celebrate my mom's 85th birthday, I'm back with another Orioles minor league set to share.
Alan,

Hope your mom had a wonderful birthday. Glad you had the opportunity to celebrate with her.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:09 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 63 (March 3, 2020 – 063)

The Official American and National League Schedules and Records booklets were put out by The Sporting News and these two examples feature Brooks on the cover; in 1965 following his MVP season and in the 1967 just because…

1965 The Sporting News Official American and National League Schedules and Records

Day 63 a.jpg

1967 The Sporting News Official American and National League Schedules and Records

Day 63 b.jpg

A June 3, 1967 The Sporting Goods coupon picturing the '67 pocket sized schedule and records.

Day 63 Ad 1967 TSN.jpg
Old 03-03-2020, 05:02 AM

Default Blair Brooks

Picked these up on Saturday at the show in Philly. I have never seen them before. Any info on the set? They measure 8x10 with a blank back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brooks8x10.jpg (70.8 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by quitcrab; 03-03-2020 at 05:08 AM.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:09 AM

Default Blair Brooks

Blair
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brooks Blair 8x10.jpg (70.2 KB, 119 views)
Old 03-03-2020, 05:41 AM
Clint

Mark those schedules are great. Brooks was so good he fielded with his eyes closed.😂
Old 03-03-2020, 07:10 AM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
Picked these up on Saturday at the show in Philly. I have never seen them before. Any info on the set? They measure 8x10 with a blank back.
Scott,

I could be wrong, but I think they were part of a promotion for Crown Petroleum in the early 1970's. I have both of the photos back in Maine, so I can't verify this, but I thought my photos had a note at the bottom that said "Compliments of Crown Petroleum". I know I've only seen photos of Brooks Robinson and Paul Blair. Yours don't have any note of a sponsor, so they might not be from Crown.

I'm sure someone can verify for us. They are nice photos.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:

In 1963, Scheible Press printed a set of Rochester Red Wings. While the envelope says nine photos, eleven approximately 4x6 postcards were printed and one 5x7 postcard of Luke Easter. They are nice quality and a set I really like.

The eleven smaller postcards included Joe Altobelli, Steve Bilko, Sam Bowens, Don Brummer, Nelson Chittum, Luke Easter, Darrell Johnson/Chris Krug, Fred Valentine, Ozzie Virgil, Ray Youngdahl and Ron Kabbes (which is slightly larger than the others)

Attachment 387654 Attachment 387655 Attachment 387656 Attachment 387657
Attachment 387659

A second Luke Easter was printed. It is 5x7 and probably not intented to be part of the original set, as it is larger than the envelope.

Attachment 387658

My guess is that Ron Kabbes, Darrell Johnson/Chris Krug and the 5x7 Luke Easter were not part of the original nine photos. Can anyone confirm??
I think you're pretty close, but I think the Darrell Johnson card was part of the original 9. The Nelson Chittum was a replacement I believe. I also believe the original 9 were printed on standard postcard paper, while the "updated" sets were on thinner paper stock.
I love the set! Luke Easter was as huge fan favorite here and Joe Altobelli is a local hero. Played here, then managed here and now is a broadcaster on Red Wing games.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:31 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Alan,

Hope your mom had a wonderful birthday. Glad you had the opportunity to celebrate with her.
Thanks Mark. She had a wonderful day. She went to the Orioles spring training game, got a baseball and had Trey Mancini (her favorite player) sign it. She chatted with Maine native, Mike Bordick, about the trials of being an Orioles fan in Maine. She told him that the only games she gets to watch are when they play the Red Sox and the Red Sox announcers never have anything good to say about the Orioles. Mike smiled and said "There hasn't been a lot good to say about the Orioles the last couple years". It was very nice of him to take some time for her. Lastly, the Orioles presented her with a bouquet of flowers in the fourth inning. According to her, a great day.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:25 AM
Alan Strout

Default Orioles Photos

The Brooks Robinson and Paul Blair photos reminded me that I have a bunch of promotional photos from various advertisers featuring Orioles players. I think it was fairly common for players to make a few extra bucks appearing for companies, with many advertisers offering photos as part of the promotion.

Here are a few of my favorites.

Brooks Robinson and Busch Beer

Robinson, Brooks (Busch).jpg

Frank Robinson and Warner Bros Studios

Robinson, Frank (Warner Bros).jpg

A couple of Jim Palmer photos. Only seems fitting that "Pancakes" would have an Aunt Jemima photo, but Van Heusen instead of Jockey ???

Palmer, Jim (Aunt Jemima).jpg Palmer, Jim (Van Heusen).jpg

And we can't forget HoneyBaked Ham from Dave Johnson

Johnson, Dave (Honeybaked Ham).JPG