NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-25-2012, 06:33 AM
Chad

Default E91 Slagle Cubs card?

I've seen an E91 checklist that included Slagle as part of the Cubs but have been unable to track down such a card. Does this card exist?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Rob Miller

Hey Chad,

You are referring to the 1908 E91A set. I collect all E91 sets and I haven't come across a Slagle yet. However, there have been 3 graded by SGC.

Rob
Old 01-25-2012, 07:33 AM

Default Yes to Slagle

Slagle is pictured as a Cub and is one of the 33 players in the E91-A set.

Brian
Old 01-25-2012, 07:43 AM

Default E91 Slagle link

I have included a link to an article on the E91 sets. Post # 3 pictures all the Cubs in the set, including Mr. Slagle.

Rob and I are probably the only ones who realize how special these cards are.

Brian

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...&highlight=e91

Last edited by brianp-beme; 01-25-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Is it that tough a card? Here's mine. E91a's seem a bit tougher than the other two sets (or more likely a bit more desireable), but I haven't seen any one card any tougher than another.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Chad

[QUOTE=Griffins;959905]Is it that tough a card? Here's mine. E91a's seem a bit tougher than the other two sets (or more likely a bit more desireable), but I haven't seen any one card any tougher than another.
[/

First one I've ever seen in the two years I've been working on this set.
Thanks
Chad
Old 01-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Rob Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
Is it that tough a card? Here's mine. E91a's seem a bit tougher than the other two sets (or more likely a bit more desireable), but I haven't seen any one card any tougher than another.
Same here, I haven't really seen one card tougher to acquire than another. And I think you are right, I always see E91B & C come up for sale a lot more than A.

And Chad, I wanted to definitely recommend reading Brian’s article. Great stuff for anyone interested in the E91 series.

Last edited by Robextend; 01-25-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Chad

Would you want to sell? I am willing to pay well.

Chad
Old 01-25-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post

Rob and I are probably the only ones who realize how special these cards are.

Brian
Bit of an overstatement, I think.

Prices on these have been quite high of late with many bidders after them. A bunch sold on eBay this weekend at much higher than previous prices tracked by VCP. I bid hard on 5 cards and only snagged one...

Cheers,
Blair
Old 01-25-2012, 09:15 PM

Default E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
Bit of an overstatement, I think.

Cheers,
Blair
Actually, being a bit backwards myself, my claim that only Rob and myself realize that E91's are kinda special was a little cheek in tongue. I have noticed that the prices do seem fairly strong for this issue as of late. I still think E91's are misunderstood by the vast majority of collectors, and someday I will redo my article, typing it up in a much larger, readable form and armed with all the appropriate comparision scans, and make an even better case that most of the facial artwork of the E91A set and the majority of the E91B set is based upon photographic images that can be seen in other card sets of the era.

Some Day.

I just wished they hadn't used the Kewpie Doll artist, and not even bothered issuing the E91C, or even the E91B set, because they just planted the 'generic' idea in our collective mindsets.

Over time I have also noted that both the E91B and E91C sets seem slightly more available than cards from the E91A set. Also, I don't believe the Slagle to be any less common than the rest of the E91A cards.

Brian
Old 01-25-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Actually, being a bit backwards myself, my claim that only Rob and myself realize that E91's are kinda special was a little cheek in tongue. I have noticed that the prices do seem fairly strong for this issue as of late. I still think E91's are misunderstood by the vast majority of collectors, and someday I will redo my article, typing it up in a much larger, readable form and armed with all the appropriate comparision scans, and make an even better case that most of the facial artwork of the E91A set and the majority of the E91B set is based upon photographic images that can be seen in other card sets of the era.

Some Day.

I just wished they hadn't used the Kewpie Doll artist, and not even bothered issuing the E91C, or even the E91B set, because they just planted the 'generic' idea in our collective mindsets.

Over time I have also noted that both the E91B and E91C sets seem slightly more available than cards from the E91A set. Also, I don't believe the Slagle to be any less common than the rest of the E91A cards.

Brian
Hi Brian,

I'd really enjoy reading that, so I hope you find the time to do it!

Part of me agrees they should have stopped with the A series, but then I'd have no Red Sox (that don't look like the players) to collect....

Cheers,
Blair
Old 01-26-2012, 12:39 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Add me to the list that really likes these 3 sets. I'm down to needing 1 each for E91B and E91C, and about 6 for E91A.
I feel a bit guilty about this now that it seems a few people are looking for Slagle in E91A, but I've got a few uncut strips and one of them has 4 Slagle's in it.
It's out getting framed right now and should be back on Friday, but here is the scan from the auction house showing the strip. It really doesn't seem like any are scarcer than any other.

I can't pull a bigger scan, but it's lot # 60 from the 10/09 Mile High auction. I picked up 2 strips in that auction, and know they had a bunch of them offered previously.
Slagle is #1,4,9 & 14 counting from left to right

Last edited by Griffins; 01-26-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default strips

There will probably be 1-2 strips in our upcoming B and L auction. I think the e91s are neat but as everyone has mentioned, suffer from the generic nature of some of them. This Browne card has a neat ghost overprint on the back!!