NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Erich W

I HIGHLY recommend Chief Bender's Burden by Tom Swift. This is one of the most engaging and well-written baseball biographies I've read. Bender was a man with many talents beyond baseball that struggled with race issues at the turn of the 20th century. Swift does a really really good job telling his story.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Johnny S

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolterse View Post
I HIGHLY recommend Chief Bender's Burden by Tom Swift. This is one of the most engaging and well-written baseball biographies I've read. Bender was a man with many talents beyond baseball that struggled with race issues at the turn of the 20th century. Swift does a really really good job telling his story.
I'm am reading it for the 2nd time can't say enough good things about this book !!
Old 05-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Tony N.

Default Biography

Can anyone recommend a good book on Mordecai Brown, Eddie Plank or Nap Lajoie?

Thanks,
Tony Nicoletto
Old 05-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Frank Wakefield

Hey Tony.

In part, you can read about Brown in Fleming's great book, The Unforgettable Season. It's about the 1908 pennant race. I found it an enjoyable read, chocked full of stuff about many of the players in T206. It explains the Merkle incident well.

The Sowell book I mentioned up there has some stuff on Lajoie. Especially about him jumping a contract, moving from one league to another for more money. His former team sued and got an injunction. For a while Lajoie would stay out of Pennsylvania, not making road trips there to avoid their legal system. He'd ride the train to the next city on the schedule, being careful to not get caught in Pennsylvania.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Ben L

Not pre-war but I recommend "Miracle Ball": the Story of Bobby Thomson's 1951 Home Run Ball" by Brian Biegel. It was quick read and most enjoyable. It's nice because it covers baseball history and has something for the collector too.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Roger Kahn's The Boys of Summer is my favorite baseball book, hands down.

Just thought I would mention Don DeLillo's novel Underworld, has huge swath's related to Bobby Thomson's home run ball-it's practically the star of the book!
Old 05-22-2010, 02:43 PM

Besides the usual suspects mentioned above:

The Ginger Kid (Buck Weaver) by Irving Stein
8 Men Out by Elliot Asinof
The Iowa Baseball Conspiracy by W.P. Kinsella
The Unforgettable Season (1908) by G.H. Fleming
Autumn Glory (1903) by Louis Masur
The Year the Red Sox Won the World Series by Waterman and Springer
Baseball Between the Wars by Hageman
The Great Baseball Mystery (1919 WS) by Victor Luhrs (scarce book)
The Old Ball Game by Frank Deford
Red Legs and Black Sox Susan Dellinger
When Chicago Ruled Baseball by Bernard Weisberger
Where They Ain't by Burt Solomon
The Bronc Burnett books by Wilfred McCormick (juvenile fiction from the 60's)

I could read The Unforgettable Season over and over, it is fantastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LastScan.jpg (51.8 KB, 170 views)
Old 05-23-2010, 05:47 AM
Tim Sanders

Default Can't help on Nap or Plank but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by e107collector View Post
Can anyone recommend a good book on Mordecai Brown, Eddie Plank or Nap Lajoie?

Thanks,
Tony Nicoletto
Three Finger the Mordecai Brown story was a rather good biography.

Last edited by T2069bk; 05-23-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:05 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Three books that are a must read......

I highly recommend the following 3 books, as they transport us from the very beginning of 20th Century baseball scene.....
thru the Cobb and Ruth era....and into the 1950's and perhaps one of the greatest BB performances ever (which I was very
fortunate to witness).

1st....THE YEAR THEY CALLED OFF THE WORLD SERIES, by Benton Stark

.........A day by day story of the 1904 season which culminated in no W.S. Great read for you T206 fans as many of the T206
.........subjects are covered in it.

2nd....TY AND THE BABE, by Tom Stanton

.........Tremendous book about these two BB greats and their rivalry. Including head to head account of every game (200+)
.........that they faced each other in. A much fairer rendering on Ty Cobb than other books.

[linked image]

3rd....PERFECT, by Lew Paper (brand new release)

........Each chapter is devoted to each 1/2 inning of Don Larsen's perfect World Series game in 1956. The author very cleverly
........provides the life history of each player involved in the events of these 1/2 innings. Exceptionally well-researched back-
........ground on Berra, Campanella, Hodges, Larsen, Maglie, Mantle, Reese, Rizzuto, Jackie Robinson, Snider (and every one
........in this game).

ENJOY !

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 05-23-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:22 PM

Default The Celebrant by Eric Rolfe Greenberg

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the book, The Celebrant by Eric Rolfe Greenberg. This book is a fictional book about a family of jewelers during the turn of the century and how two of the brothers watch and follow the New York Giants. Greenburg goes into great detail about Christy Mathewson and how great of a player and person he was during this time in history. This novel truly makes you feel like you are there during the beginning of the 20th century.

51iagAWbDUL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
Old 05-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Frank Wakefield

I mentioned The Celebrant, back up there.

And I'm glad you've posted about it, because I was about to again. Thank you, Comiskey. All I can figure is that these other folks posting have never read it. Because if they had, they'd be mentioning it, nay praising it, too.

Guys, seriously, if you collect T206s and if you ever read books, read this one.