NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-26-2009, 10:27 AM

Default anyone see the brand new GAI?

Take a look at these... some of the first products produced by the brand new GAI.
Now the grading business is owned by Mike Baker (formerly of PSA)...

CERT number listed on back
switch from black background to clear

www.globalauth.com

Last edited by cozmokramer; 06-26-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Ugh.
GAI's holders were my favorite- black mattes like SGC's, thin as PSA's, and the info on the top edge of the flip.
These look like Becketts, which I can't stand. A big step backwards for a really good guy.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:15 AM

That actually present really well in person.

The labeling still exists on the top of the flip and the case itself is still the same thin PSA like case.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Barry Arnold

Default gai

i felt like Anthony initially---even felt llike the black and white top reminded me a wee bit
of some of the 'home made' attempts by folks in times past.
i'll make up my mind after seeing one in person.

i do wish Mike the best.

barry
Old 06-26-2009, 11:30 AM
James Gallo

I think I will pass. I wasn't around when Mike Baker was big so I have no opinion on him.

I don't like these slabs. The one thing I had always liked about the GAI slab was the info on top.

Also why the hell would you put trimmed on these flips. I know hardly anything about old Judges but even I know they are trimmed, it would be nice to state it though so people know why they are just authentic. Then again I have this problem with all the compaines :-)

I like the black insert and honestly does he really think he can work his way back up the latter to make a viable business. I think he would have been better off going to one of the other companies then to continue to try and keep a sinking ship a float.

Really what do they offer that I am not already getting from one of the other companies right now??

James g

Last edited by JamesGallo; 06-26-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:29 PM

I guess time will tell... maybe we'll get some consistency from someone?

There is one value add, he'll encapsulate SKINNED and REBACKED cards as AUTHENTIC.

Neither SGC or PSA will do that. As far as I'm concerned I have TONS of SKINNED Old Judges, I'm happy to have someone encapsulate them for protection.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:48 PM
D.B. Cooper

They'll encapsulate skinned and re-backed Old Judges as Authentic. Is there any mention of the fact that they've been skinned or re-backed on the flip? I'd be less than psyched to buy an authentic Old Judge and then find out upon receipt of the card that it was skinned.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Barry Sloate

Will they slab a rebacked OJ and call it Authentic? I know SGC won't.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:58 PM

Default Gai

I think I will pass. Mike Baker is legit but that GAI name has a black cloud over it's head. Wish he changed the company name. I wish Mike B well.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:39 PM

Barry... yes, I just received a large group of OJs back from GAI today, many were skinned or rebacked and all are slabbed as Authentic. Exactly what I wanted since PSA and SGC won't slab them. Skinned or Rebacked... they are still REAL OJs, just altered, and I wanted them in slabs to protect them.

Their name did change slightly for the card grading business since thats what Mike took over... its Global Authority instead of Global Authentication. Plus Mike is top notch when it comes to customer service.

Look at this card... Both PSA and SGC wouldn't touch it... i tried... Now its in a slab and protected from any further damage.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:40 PM

Anthony... if it wasn't either skinned or rebacked... shouldn't it be getting a number grade in most cases?

Look at SGC... they give every OJ a number grade no matter how bad the card is unless its trimmed. But they don't tell you its trimmed either.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Robert A

No Barry,

They'll grade a rebacked OJ as a 2 and then tell you to send it back and then give it a authentic grade, but not refund you the money they said they were going to.

Rob
Old 06-26-2009, 02:22 PM

Rob,

They are under brand new ownership, Mike Baker, who was the very first employee of PSA. He designed the original PSA 1 - 10 scale when PSA first opened.

I think the older days and practices of GAI are over now. This new ownership has great plans.

Eric
Old 06-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Robert A

Eric,

Mike Baker is the very person who emailed me and promised me he "would do the right thing" and told me in person at the national that I would receive me money by the end of last summer.

How many lessons do people have to learn with GAI and why would anyone use this service?

Rob
Old 06-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default wrong

Mike Baker was not at PSA when it opened. He did not grade the Wagner which was the first card they graded, Bill Hughes did. Nor did Mike invent the 1-10 scale.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:53 PM

He wasn't there when it opened?

He was employed by their Coin Grading Services (PCGS) prior and was brought over to help start the card grading department. At least thats whats documented in many places on the web. He's also credited with the grading of many of the PSA Wagners over time.

REGARDLESS, I'm not here to support him... I was bringing GAI and its new ownership to the public.

I do see value add as they are willing to authenticate and encapsulate cards that others wont - skinned cards being an example. So what if they have a backing peeled off... they are still real right? PSA and SGC won't encapsulte these... I believe that they should be able to. GAI will.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

My understanding is that he was hired relatively early in PSA's life but not at the inception.

Surely there cannot be enough revenues in grading skinned Old Judges to sustain a company even if it is only Mike. And with due respect to his abilities as a grader, I cannot imagine why anyone would submit a legitimate card to him at this time, given the track record at GAI.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:14 PM

Peter.... Yes I agree that he can't survive on the one example I gave... it was simply an example to show that there are services that need to be provided.

I'm actually hoping that somehow by having others do it, possibly PSA or SGC will adopt some of the practices. PSA is my personal choice and all my collection is PSA graded.

I love the look of slabbed cards and the protection and labeling, thus this is my only choice for my 300+ skinned/severely trimmed OJs etc....
Old 06-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

Understood it was just an example, but it may be a unique one -- there really is not much of a gap left to fill in my opinion.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:20 PM

Peter...

An advantage they'll have to PSA is customer service... SGC will always be the best though for customer service.

In terms of fees, some hate joining PSA and/or paying their fees. No membership and $6 a card for GAI may appeal to a bunch.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:29 PM

They should change how their flip looks. It looks like the home made grading companies, doesn't look to professional in my opinion. Maybe I should give Mike a call and offer a new design for free. Their flip looks like it was made in Microsoft Paint.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:36 PM
David Ros.enberg

Last edited by DJR; 07-31-2016 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:40 PM

Default flip

Here's a flip with three lines of writing...
I sent multiple Germany Smith cards & this one came back with the pose....

Old 06-26-2009, 07:49 PM
David Ros.enberg

Last edited by DJR; 07-31-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:56 PM

Most of the people here prefer SGC... SGC has some of the worst printing I've seen on flips... often slanted, often touching into the bottom green part of the flip.

I'm not defending GAI in this case, but for some reason it seems as though printing on flips is a common problem among all the grading companies.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:24 PM
David

Default Help GAI - terrible slab let them know

If this guy wants to stay in business I hope he reads this thread. People here are trying to help him out. He needs to differentiate himself with the slab. Those slabs are terrible and look home made. They better change the look of that before its too late and too many get out there.

SGC has the best slab by far. Its a shame their cards don't sell as well as PSA. PSA just has too much first mover and market leader advantage. I have a feeling that will change someday and the premium paid for vintage cards will reverse to SGCs advantage but its at least 5+ years away.

Aside, I do agree with the chap who gets roasted here for being too into PSAs financial reports. They are closer and closer to diluting their brand on a daily basis. Lets pray that SGC keeps its ethics and quality standards as they, in my opinion, inevitably become the leader in grading both in quantity graded and prices paid for aftermarket prices for VINTAGE cards, prewar. They will never make strides in postwar cards. Its going to be tough for them to walk the tightrope of respected niche player to mass market leader. I hope they succeed. Sorry to hijack this thread to an SGC post but I got off on a rant and don't want to lose all I typed now.

Last edited by daviddbreadman; 06-26-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Banned

With all of the negative publicity the GAI brand has suffered in the past year or so, if the harshest criticism the company receives is how its flips look, it should be thankful.

Last edited by Rob D.; 06-27-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:57 PM

The flips look nice to me. I like the simplicity.

Last edited by drc; 06-26-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:18 AM

I wish him nothing but the best but I do agree with a few members on this board. If I were to see this case/flip, I would right away think to myself, this is one of those homemade grading companies. Just my opinion though.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:34 PM

Just want to clarify that BVG has graded and will continue to grade these cards for over a decade. They would go into "Authentic-Altered" holders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmokramer View Post
Peter.... Yes I agree that he can't survive on the one example I gave... it was simply an example to show that there are services that need to be provided.

I'm actually hoping that somehow by having others do it, possibly PSA or SGC will adopt some of the practices. PSA is my personal choice and all my collection is PSA graded.

I love the look of slabbed cards and the protection and labeling, thus this is my only choice for my 300+ skinned/severely trimmed OJs etc....
Old 06-27-2009, 11:48 PM
Fred

It looks like a step backwards. As mentioned previously, the lack of a black matte reduces the eye appeal. I do however like the way GAI placed the labels on the top edge of the card. I'm assuming that hasn't changed. If GAI were smart they would provide a service that PSA or SGC hasn't. They would create the ALT identifier. ALT would indicate ALTERED. That way they could get away with slabbing rebacked OJs and not have to worry about people stating that they are doing something that SGC and PSA wouldn't do (slab rebacked OJs with the AUTH identifier).

I hope one of those grading companies figures this out and creates this new categorey.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:03 AM

To reiterate... BVG distinguishes between "Authentic" and "Altered". "Authentic" indicates an untampered original card that is usually not assigned a numerical grade at the submitter's request, whereas an "Authentic-Altered" grade indicates a card that is real, but somehow doctored.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
It looks like a step backwards. As mentioned previously, the lack of a black matte reduces the eye appeal. I do however like the way GAI placed the labels on the top edge of the card. I'm assuming that hasn't changed. If GAI were smart they would provide a service that PSA or SGC hasn't. They would create the ALT identifier. ALT would indicate ALTERED. That way they could get away with slabbing rebacked OJs and not have to worry about people stating that they are doing something that SGC and PSA wouldn't do (slab rebacked OJs with the AUTH identifier).

I hope one of those grading companies figures this out and creates this new categorey.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:53 PM
R Dixon

Default Flips

I also like the flips ok.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Jon Canfield

My understanding is the new Global Authority continues to have pack grading. While this isn't a new grade (it is GAIs old label), does anyone know who grades this stuff?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-19-Sweet-Ca...3A1%7C294%3A50

While dating cigarette packs can be difficult at times, it's pretty obvious that a Sweet Caporal soft pack in celophane cannot possibly date from 1909-1919. How did GAI even come up with this date range? A single tax stamp wasn't even used during this date range!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Rich

Story on Baker taking over:

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...-division.html
Old 07-01-2009, 01:44 PM

First thing Mike needs to do is to return the black matte backgrounds. I agree with the posters above that the blank, clear holder looks cheap and looks like a homemade slab.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:06 PM

I like the overall look but the clear background I don't like...

Ricky Y