NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 05:19 AM

Very insightful analysis, but (allowing for the humorous nature of the post) do we have to make fun of "chinamen" with cliches like "yankee my wankee", "ho-lee" and references to stereotyped Hollywood treatment of Asians? It just reinforces the view of the hobby as one dominated by old white guys. Whatever his offenses, Mr. Chan's ethnicity is irrelevant. I have as good a sense of humor as the next guy, but If I were of Asian descent, I would probably find parts of this thread somewhat offensive. Whether you do it for fun or investment, everyone here has a vested interest in attracting as broad a base as possible.

That being said, the mayflies are on the water and I'm going fishing. I'll be curious to see what comes of this when I get back tomorrow night.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:50 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Nice work!

John, nice work! Hopefully the FBI will remain involved and restitution and prison time will be required.

I hope that your diligence will cause some of the other card doctors and crooks to lose some sleep.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:54 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

John, great work. Now if only you could also prove that it was Scott Elkins who was chasing Ned Beatty through the woods in "Deliverance" I'd really be impressed.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:11 AM
Scott Ingold

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
John, great work. Now if only you could also prove that it was Scott Elkins who was chasing Ned Beatty through the woods in "Deliverance" I'd really be impressed.

Squeel piggy. Squeel
Old 05-09-2009, 06:44 AM
Steve Murray

Very nice job.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:45 AM

John did amazing work and deserves a lot of credit. But Jim Rivera was the original driving force behind this scam. Though a few of us knew a few facts and had lots of suspicians, Jim actually came through with the game breaker. He tracked the source of all of the bad overprints to Chan. Jim first contacted me with the info and truthfully, the only credit I will take is that I knew who to get on the team immediately! John was my choice. He did an amazing job with the Nodgrass and now here.

John is very knowledgable, and the best at determing doctored cards.

I truly thank you John.

Dan
Old 05-09-2009, 06:52 AM

Thanks John and the others for the work done on this. That site had
always smelled fishy. The unopened pack with the guarantee of a
T206/T205 card inside especially. How do you guarantee that?
Old 05-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Hilarious spin on a bittersweet topic. Thanks for the refreshingly, cavalier attitude John.

Rating; Three thumbs up!
Old 05-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Barry Sloate

Mr. Chan might also consider shutting down his piece of crap website. I looked at it periodically but will never do so again.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:52 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Dan is correct Jim tied Chan to the 3 of these cards that we knew of. Our FBI agent based on the info above thatI provided tied Chan finally to the site and the fake double overprint and bogus Old Mill find.

Jim and I began talking after Dan put us together. In fact Jim and I had talked mulriple times about the site and these cards. Jim and Dan had hunches and gut feelings regarding Chan the site but we really had no hard evidence.

I have been curious about these from the first time I had seen one. I set out to win the REA example with hopes of proving once and for all these were legit or bogus as I thought. Luckly Jim, Dan and I rounded up on this. During our looking into this Rob Lifson and REA along with the owners of the Hart card allowed me to examine these cards in person. After reviewing the cards I had pretty solid evidence they were in fact bad enough. We also had enough evidence to send the FBI knocking.

Big props go out to the Agent I dont think anyone of us Dan, Jim or I expected it to be this final outcome. Another huge thank you goes out to the owners of the Hart card who willingly helped us debunk thier own investment, and who also kept me and the FBI in the loop. I know Dan, Jim and I are happy to say they at least have been made whole.

Great team effort by all.

Jim on than Chan connection, Dan with the hook up and Wonka with the proof then add a dash of Rob top it with a large amount of Agent Badass and all crooks better look out there's a new A-Team on the block..LOL

As for the Asian stereotypes I'm only quoting a classic 80's John Hughes film no offense needed to be taken, now if you don't mind as a Scot/Irish american I'm calling Fox about that damn Groundskeeper Willie!

Also it should be noted that SGC needs a pat on the back. SGC had the guts to say they were unsure and asked for outside help before letting this card slide thru the cracks. I was very impressed with that! So thanks to Rob and SGC for sending me the Revelle.

Last edited by wonkaticket; 05-09-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:10 AM
Scott Ingold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynch1960 View Post
Very insightful analysis, but (allowing for the humorous nature of the post) do we have to make fun of "chinamen" with cliches like "yankee my wankee", "ho-lee" and references to stereotyped Hollywood treatment of Asians? It just reinforces the view of the hobby as one dominated by old white guys. Whatever his offenses, Mr. Chan's ethnicity is irrelevant. I have as good a sense of humor as the next guy, but If I were of Asian descent, I would probably find parts of this thread somewhat offensive. Whether you do it for fun or investment, everyone here has a vested interest in attracting as broad a base as possible.

That being said, the mayflies are on the water and I'm going fishing. I'll be curious to see what comes of this when I get back tomorrow night.
Oh Jesus....

I wondered when the "PC" crowd would chime in. Always just a matter of time.

Great work John.

Outstanding detective work along with a dose of humor.
Closed Thread