NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-26-2023, 09:24 PM

Default Jackie Robinson opinion

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7077.jpg (200.4 KB, 402 views)
Old 08-27-2023, 04:52 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

I have never seen a "c" like that but I think the autograph is authentic. The rest of the inscription and signature look good. Perhaps the pen slipped when he was forming the "c."

I'm sure others will chime in.
Old 08-27-2023, 08:10 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Posted this one Facebook, but sharing here as well (with some minor additions).

I'm usually quite confident with Jackie auto's, but am unsure about this one.
It doesn't have the loop on the "c" in Jackie that you often see in forgeries, but I've also never seen the "c" have that line down in the connection from the "a".

The last name has irregularities as well. I don't recall seeing an R that has the pen pulling up on either leg like this one. The "o" is funny shaped and I don't recall a Jackie sign where the tail of the "b" doesn't flow right into the "i." Additionally, the dot on Jackie's "i' is usually on top of the I, not above the 'ns'

I'm not certain it is not good as nothing jumps out as clearly fake, but I would not feel comfortable buying it without a guarantee that it past 3rd party authentication.

(I'm not a professional grader, but have been collecting Jackie for years so have seen images and examples of hundreds and currently have 10+ auto's.)

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 08-27-2023 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-28-2023, 02:24 PM
Kevin

Talking It's good

Everything about this is Jackie, looking or overthinking one letter or a couple of atypical elements shouldn't detract from the autograph as a whole. Sign your name 1,000 times and there are going to be some versions that have weird letter formations here and there. Overall speed, size, shape and best wishes are all spot on to Jackie, the angle of the auto and letter spacing is also where it should be. My honest guess is either the paper/card stock isn't completely smooth or the pen had an issue.

I'd have no issue owning this auto, and I've been collecting Jackie for nearly 20 years now.

Last edited by Kco; 08-28-2023 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-28-2023, 04:15 PM

Thanks all! It didn’t pass Beckett quick opinion so I’m not sure what to think lol
Old 08-28-2023, 05:16 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I wouldn't touch it with a 10.ft.pole. nothing unique or interesting, only thing...probably cheap...for good reason. Save the funds amd buy something more presentable, or graded

Just my opinion

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-29-2023, 06:22 AM
Terry Lake

Default Jackie

I too think it's good. Atypical, but good. Just because Beckett doesn't give it their stamp of approval means nothing unless you plan to resell it. The reason I live it is because of the spacing of the "ie" after the "k" in "Jackie" It's tight and close. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-30-2023, 12:18 PM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkurJ View Post
Thanks all! It didn’t pass Beckett quick opinion so I’m not sure what to think lol
With Beckett's track record the last 12 months or so, I put virtually zero stock in their quick opinion service. They are FAR and away the worst of the 3 major TPAs when it comes to accuracy on Baseball.
Old 08-31-2023, 05:51 AM
octavio ranzola

No good
Old 08-31-2023, 05:53 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

The "b-i" is slowly drawn, not signed IMO

"Jackie "Atypical slant

The list goes on and on

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 08-31-2023 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-31-2023, 05:56 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kco View Post
With Beckett's track record the last 12 months or so, I put virtually zero stock in their quick opinion service. They are FAR and away the worst of the 3 major TPAs when it comes to accuracy on Baseball.

Ever hear the one about my signed 52 jackie? Psa quick opinion declined it, seller sold it to me on tilt, it passed in PSAs hands.

Old 09-01-2023, 06:54 PM
Kevin O'Gara

I certainly don't like it. Just my opinion
Old 09-01-2023, 06:57 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

What do you think of this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4084.jpg (203.4 KB, 154 views)
Old 09-02-2023, 05:55 AM

With the bigger names, and Jackie seems to be rapidly entering that upper echelon, there is no need to pounce on the first thing that comes along when there is so much out there. Jackie signed a LOT, with 3X5s being among the most commonly encountered items. Even if you feel something is real but you're stuck looking at an atypically-signed area of the autograph, just wait for something more in line with the standard. Remember, if you're staring at the piece and saying, "Well, this part is out of character, but the rest looks fine...", so will everyone else when it comes time to sell.
Old 09-02-2023, 09:36 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
With the bigger names, and Jackie seems to be rapidly entering that upper echelon, there is no need to pounce on the first thing that comes along when there is so much out there. Jackie signed a LOT, with 3X5s being among the most commonly encountered items. Even if you feel something is real but you're stuck looking at an atypically-signed area of the autograph, just wait for something more in line with the standard. Remember, if you're staring at the piece and saying, "Well, this part is out of character, but the rest looks fine...", so will everyone else when it comes time to sell.
100 % agree.

My advice is to save up for a check . A check will certainly cost more but it's authenticity is pretty much ironclad .
Old 09-02-2023, 11:10 PM
Jeff Lazarus

If anyone is looking for a nice Jackie auto, I have a couple of baseballs I am open to moving:

- 1949 Dodgers Team signed ball
- Official Negro League ball signed by members of the Jackie Robinson All-Stars barnstorming team. Signatures are light, but it is one of the only Negro League signed balls signed by Jackie in existence.