NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-27-2023, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I'm with you on that one!
Why would you slab a scorecard that allowed you to view all the pages and content? That's beyond me...
So I was thinking a bit more about why tickets seem so much more desirable than scorecards and programs...

Tickets take up less space, that much is true. But as others have mentioned when considering whether or not they might get their scorecards or programs slabbed if they had the opportunity to do so, you'd miss out on all the great content. In this case, the content, at least in older programs, includes photos (sometimes early photos) of the players that are playing. Tickets can be ornate and some will have a specific player on them, especially season tickets printed in the last 30 years or so, but half of my tickets have no images. So it's just tough to figure out why there is such a disparity in pricing between programs and scorecards/program. I can't imagine that for any given game, more scorecards/programs were saved than tickets.
Old 08-27-2023, 03:16 AM
Ciaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
Tickets take up less space, that much is true. But as others have mentioned when considering whether or not they might get their scorecards or programs slabbed if they had the opportunity to do so, you'd miss out on all the great content. In this case, the content, at least in older programs, includes photos (sometimes early photos) of the players that are playing. Tickets can be ornate and some will have a specific player on them, especially season tickets printed in the last 30 years or so, but half of my tickets have no images. So it's just tough to figure out why there is such a disparity in pricing between programs and scorecards/program. I can't imagine that for any given game, more scorecards/programs were saved than tickets.
Many of the pre World War Two World Series programs are items of absolute beauty. The Cincinnati 1919 issue above is a case in point but also the Subway Series of Yankees & Giants 1921 to 1923 (and same format for Yankees vs Pirates in 1927).

New York Giants issues of 1910s are particularly attractive and way ahead of their time. Boston Braves, Brooklyn Dodgers also had stunning World Series programs in this era.
Old 08-27-2023, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
So I was thinking a bit more about why tickets seem so much more desirable than scorecards and programs...

Just an opinion, but I actually believe that more scorecards//programs were saved.

Have you ever noticed how many earlier vintage scorecards have a vertical crease running down the middle?
Male fans frequently folded the scorecards in order to stick them in their breast pockets. This would allow them to pull them out during the game and also bring them home.

Regular gameday tickets not so much, as they were often tossed as trash based on what I have observed in my lifetime.
Notable exceptions would include playoff games, World Series and All Star Games IMHO.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 08-27-2023 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-27-2023, 02:38 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I definitely agree with Scott about Tickets being easily discarded especially early Baseball and Basketball stubs. Most were very simple versus the scorecards and programs which were larger and attractive. Also being small and not always easily identified many were dropped in Drawers or in scrapbooks only to be discarded after the original attendees passed on. Many of the best stubs I came across were removed from scrapbooks.

Now I know this thread is dominated by Yankee and Dodger fans, but on the off chance someone who collects scorecards is a Giants fan I have these two Minor Leauge scorecards from the 1950 Trenton NJ Giants with Willie Mays playing Center Field for the Giants. One is a home program the other away playing the Lancaster PA Red Roses. Mays signed the away and the home is signed by 4 players 3 I have identified Bob Myers Eric Rodin and Boetto, the Forth looks like Duffy Dyer ( catcher for the Mets ) but no idea why he would be on there? ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230827_000444.jpg (174.6 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg 20230827_004216.jpg (191.5 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg 20230827_003742.jpg (182.3 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg 20230827_004139.jpg (188.2 KB, 331 views)

Last edited by bigfanNY; 08-27-2023 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Information on autographs
Old 09-12-2023, 01:00 AM

Here's a neat program for an event that welcomed Ted Williams back from Korea toward the end of the 1953 season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3808.jpg (118.6 KB, 279 views)
Old 09-12-2023, 02:10 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Now I know this thread is dominated by Yankee and Dodger fans...
And because of that, here is a Pirates game at the Polo Grounds where Tom Hafey (cousin of Chick, brother of Bud) made his MLB debut for the Giants, and hit his first of six career homers.

https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/...210NY11939.htm
Old 09-12-2023, 02:43 PM
Doug Goodman

And here's the Phillies winning the Opening Day game of the 1915 season, in Fenway versus the Braves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1915-04-14-Braves-Phillies.jpg (190.5 KB, 273 views)