NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-10-2023, 12:33 PM
Bo.b Per.ez

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
The really really abbreviated version of the last couple pages

Wah! The bad gummint is going to take "our" money!
Yeah, it's called taxes.
Wah, I don't wants to pay them evil gummint men anything!
Yeah, but you really should.
Well then you're a jerk.
It doesn't take a lot of intelligence to collect baseball cards and that fact really shines through in some of the responses. Learn to read Steve.
Old 04-11-2023, 11:42 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupe the Second Sacker View Post
It doesn't take a lot of intelligence to collect baseball cards and that fact really shines through in some of the responses. Learn to read Steve.
I did, a long time ago. I even understand what I read...
Old 04-11-2023, 12:28 PM
Al Richter

Had never considered the relationship between intelligence and baseball card collecting. Maybe a good separate topic
Old 04-11-2023, 02:56 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Had never considered the relationship between intelligence and baseball card collecting. Maybe a good separate topic
Turds and punchbowls might be a better topic.
Old 04-11-2023, 04:45 PM
Al Richter

Had never considered that either Dave.
Old 04-12-2023, 07:38 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

This thread is the reason I married an accountant instead of becoming one.

I do wonder, though, about card shows. They're largely all cash transactions and no receipts are ever given. In fact, if you want to have fun, ask a stodgy old card dealer for a receipt next time you buy at a card show. Every dealer at every card show is a tax cheat, right? They're not issuing receipts, and most aren't even keeping track of sales.

For the cost of a $40 table you can liquidate your cards with absolutely no paper trail. And in metro Detroit, the number of card shows per month has quadrupled, at least, over the last few years. I know for a fact that more than one dealer at the last show I attended gave up selling on eBay and now just travel from show to show on weekends instead. No records. No paper trail. All cash.

This statement from Bob C. typifies the stupidity and overreach of the tax laws:
"...I've explained to people how when they just trade cards, that is still technically deemed a sales transaction by the IRS, and is supposed to be reported as a taxable sale by both parties to the trade on their tax returns."

No offense to Bob C., he's obviously very good at what he does and quite bright, but if you need a CPA to sell baseball cards, there's something wrong with the system. And people will always find ways around paying higher taxes. It's the American way.
Old 04-12-2023, 08:00 AM
Bo.b Per.ez

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post

I do wonder, though, about card shows. They're largely all cash transactions and no receipts are ever given. In fact, if you want to have fun, ask a stodgy old card dealer for a receipt next time you buy at a card show. Every dealer at every card show is a tax cheat, right? They're not issuing receipts, and most aren't even keeping track of sales.

For the cost of a $40 table you can liquidate your cards with absolutely no paper trail. And in metro Detroit, the number of card shows per month has quadrupled, at least, over the last few years. I know for a fact that more than one dealer at the last show I attended gave up selling on eBay and now just travel from show to show on weekends instead. No records. No paper trail. All cash.

This statement from Bob C. typifies the stupidity and overreach of the tax laws:
"...I've explained to people how when they just trade cards, that is still technically deemed a sales transaction by the IRS, and is supposed to be reported as a taxable sale by both parties to the trade on their tax returns."

No offense to Bob C., he's obviously very good at what he does and quite bright, but if you need a CPA to sell baseball cards, there's something wrong with the system. And people will always find ways around paying higher taxes. It's the American way.
Scotts gets it. Hope others here are paying attention.
Old 04-12-2023, 08:11 AM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:

In the early 1990s I worked for the Massachusetts Department of Revenue. I also went to the occasional card show. I noticed that with the exception of Hall's Nostalgia, who had a physical store, no one charged state sales tax. I thought of asking one of my managers why they didn't crack down on this, of course I never did. Thirty years later I still never see anyone charging sales tax at shows.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:26 AM
Ed Hans

Quote:
In fact, if you want to have fun, ask a stodgy old card dealer for a receipt next time you buy at a card show. Every dealer at every card show is a tax cheat, right? They're not issuing receipts, and most aren't even keeping track of sales.
Scott,
I am one of those stodgy old dealers and I will happily write you out a receipt when you purchase cards from me. Contrary to your assumption, I track my sales and purchases, report them on schedule C and pay self employment tax on my earnings. Many (probably most dealers) do the same. Your blanket accusation is, quite frankly, offensive.

Last edited by edhans; 04-12-2023 at 11:31 AM.