NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 02-16-2023, 11:37 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
I was warned that this moment would come and here it is. It is utterly incomprehensible that you can directly quote me and then insist I said the exact opposite.
The transcript speaks for itself. In 128 and on you have referred to these books (which a reasonable reader can only presume are the books in question we have all been talking about, as nothing else is named or referenced instead) as being removed. They were not removed. It is impossible to remove a book that wasn't there. It took 30 seconds to find the districts statement.

Quote:
I am not sure how this happens, although I can think of a number of different explanations. None of them are particularly complementary.
I don't doubt it. It's the normal path of the ideologue, judgement before reading what is in question, then being unable to cite their claims in the document in question, the dismissal of reason and a reason standard itself because that doesn't find what they want to find, until the anger and ad hominem are all that's left. I will leave the personal shit talk to our delightful ideologues. Happy collecting
Old 02-16-2023, 12:32 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
The transcript speaks for itself. In 128 and on you have referred to these books (which a reasonable reader can only presume are the books in question we have all been talking about, as nothing else is named or referenced instead) as being removed. They were not removed. It is impossible to remove a book that wasn't there. It took 30 seconds to find the districts statement.
You know, since you know more about what I mean than I do, perhaps you should just carry on both sides of the conversation yourself. That way you are sparring with your intellectual equal and, at the end, can congratulate yourself on your brilliance.
Old 02-16-2023, 01:48 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
You know, since you know more about what I mean than I do, perhaps you should just carry on both sides of the conversation yourself. That way you are sparring with your intellectual equal and, at the end, can congratulate yourself on your brilliance.
Ha
Old 02-16-2023, 02:27 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
They were not removed. It is impossible to remove a book that wasn't there. It took 30 seconds to find the districts statement.
Can you post a link to that statement? The only ones that I found confirmed the removal of books to be 'reviewed', none addressing whether Duval Co had the books available in the first place. As a matter of fact, The Duval Co Public Schools database shows the exact opposite: That it IS present, has been removed and is 'pending' rejection or approval.

Edited to add: It appears that these books were ordered in the summer of 2021 and have NOT been on the shelves as they have been delayed by 10 months undergoing 'review'. So, literally, they were NOT removed since they haven't made it to the shelves yet. That makes this whole thing seem so much better!

Intended classrooms Book and author(s) Review status
3rd grade When Aidan Became A Brother, by Kyle Lukoff and Kaylani Juanita Rejected
3rd grade Henry Aaron’s Dream, by Matt Tavares Pending
3rd grade Roberto Clemente: Pride of the Pittsburgh Pirates, by Jonah Winter and Raúl Colón Pending
3rd grade Wilma’s Way Home: The Life of Wilma Mankiller, by Doreen Rappaport and Linda Kukuk Pending
3rd grade 14 Cows for America, by Carmen Agra Deedy, Wilson Kimeli Naiyomah and Thomas Gonzalez Approved
3rd grade A Dog Named Haku: A Holiday Story from Nepal, by Margarita Engle, Amish Karanjit, Nicole Karanjit, and Ruth Jeyaveeran Approved
3rd grade A Storm Called Katrina, by Myron Uhlberg and Colin Bootman Approved

Last edited by Deertick; 02-16-2023 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2023, 05:27 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
Can you post a link to that statement? The only ones that I found confirmed the removal of books to be 'reviewed', none addressing whether Duval Co had the books available in the first place. As a matter of fact, The Duval Co Public Schools database shows the exact opposite: That it IS present, has been removed and is 'pending' rejection or approval.

Edited to add: It appears that these books were ordered in the summer of 2021 and have NOT been on the shelves as they have been delayed by 10 months undergoing 'review'. So, literally, they were NOT removed since they haven't made it to the shelves yet. That makes this whole thing seem so much better!

3rd grade When Aidan Became A Brother, by Kyle Lukoff and Kaylani Juanita Rejected
3rd grade Roberto Clemente: Pride of the Pittsburgh Pirates, by Jonah Winter and Raúl Colón Pending
3rd grade Wilma’s Way Home: The Life of Wilma Mankiller, by Doreen Rappaport and Linda Kukuk Pending
3rd grade 14 Cows for America, by Carmen Agra Deedy, Wilson Kimeli Naiyomah and Thomas Gonzalez Approved
3rd grade A Dog Named Haku: A Holiday Story from Nepal, by Margarita Engle, Amish Karanjit, Nicole Karanjit, and Ruth Jeyaveeran Approved
Jim, stop adding facts into the discussion! That’s not favored here.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post

A dog? LOL. Yeah, that one surely sounds like it needs careful scrutiny lest our youth go astray.

Is the problem that the dog is black?

It's the Festival of Lights in Nepal, and today is the day to honor dogs! Brothers Alu and Bhalu wander the streets of Kathmandu, passing by twirling kites and bamboo swings, looking for a dog to feed. But as night falls, their task begins to feel hopeless, until they spot a small black dog who is in need of a friend. This sweet story presents an important Hindu holiday through the eyes of two young boys, making it relatable for both those familiar with the holiday and those reading about it for the first time.

Maybe the story is code for critical race theory?

Is this really what we want for ourselves?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-16-2023 at 06:10 PM.